Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Goddamn posted:

I guess maybe I kind of missed it, but does anyone know what the verdict is on all those Rogers resellers? (Stuff like 7-Eleven, Petro-Canada, Searsconnect, etc.)

What exactly would you like to know? They work fine for basic phone service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I've finally a smartphone, moving on up from Wind Huawei original tiny dumb phone. Admittedly it's only basic iPhone 4 but the deal was pretty good.

Kodoo sells them now for 99 up front plus 150 on tab. You get a $100 gift card when you buy one though, so it's basically a grand total of 13 out of pocket.

No contract, just pick any plan to start. Switch to any other plan including prepaid afterwards. Cheapest voice plan is 20 with a sliding charge for data, but until April most Canada-wide plans come with double amount of minutes and data for regular price. Cheapest one of those is 30.

If you're a new customer get a referral for extra 25 off the tab.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My wife and I are moving to BC from the states this summer, and we're thinking of getting unlocked iPhones while we're here because ahahahaha gently caress buying one in Canada. When we lived in New Brunswick we had Koodo phones, and Koodo (despite loving up seriously on the billing at one point) actually had really tolerable customer service, so we wouldn't mind sticking with them. My only question is if we're bringing our own GSM phones what would be the best carrier in terms of data and actually getting a SIM card? We travel a lot so it's important to us to be able to swap out sim cards, etc.

Keep in mind we moved here from Canada so yes I'm aware of how utterly hosed we are.

e. Wow is Koodo better than Rogers. Koodo is a hair more expensive at 60 for 3/gb a month and unlimited voice, but overages are a flat 5/500mb, unlike Rogers which is 200 loving dollars a gigabyte in overages.

And if you bring your own phone to them it's 10% off your monthly plan.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

With Koodo? So I can just get a sim from them?

I think so: click for details.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
On may first or so look around for a best activation deal for Kodoo, often Best Buy or Real Superstore give gift cards and such. Then walk in buy the sim, pick a plan(10% off a month for bringing your own phone), and tell them you want to port your current phone number. They punch it into the computer, the porting auto cancels your Telus contract.

If you want to start accumulating Tab money for future phone upgrades and stuff ask for a referral from existing user, it's free 25 for both of you if you get the code before activation.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Porting is just an easy way to cancel with another provider. You can change your phone number with kodoo once every billing cycle anyways.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Koodo also has "decent" options for trips to the States. Just make sure you set them up when they text you after border crossing. $10 for 25 mbs instead of standard roaming charge of $5 a meg in downright un-canadian telco.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

My dad is looking into a new phone contract. He's on mobilicity, and there is no reception in many places (including home and work)

Can someone explain how this whole koodo or fido tab system works? I'm not entirely sure I understand how it works.

Let's say it's a cheap "smartphone lite" or whatever they're calling it now (the cheap budget old phones).

Assuming said phone is "worth" $400 (using the galaxy s4 mini on koodo as an example), is this correct:
- $45 per month for the plan and tab for 2 years
- Of that $45 per month, part of it is the tab, which goes towards paying off the phone
- $100 for the phone (koodo's example)

Then, at the end of the 24 month sentence contract, no amount is owing, and you are free to re-sign or do whatever.
However, if you decide to leave, then your ETF is the balance left on the phone

I have an iPhone 4 with koodo that I got last year. The buy outright cost if the phone was 250. Without contract, just with a plan the phone was 100* and then -150 was added to my tab. Every month a value equal to 10% of my bill is added to the tab. So typical monthly bill of 40 makes the tab go up 4, if I go to the states than the bill is about 50 and the tab grows by 5. The tab itself can grow to +150 and can be used for hardware upgrades. If I leave the carrier i'd have to pay out any amount owed on tab.

*pay 100 and then immediately get a 100 gift card, so it's a "free" phone

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
See if google dialler inside gmail website on a computer will work for you. I use it as a free alternative for customer service type calls during daytime.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It's the time of the year when 7-11 runs their $125 credit for $100 promo, plus this time around you also get a free SIM. The credit expires in a year from the latest top-up, the incoming messages are free, network is Rogers, no contracts, no personal info required. SIMs are dual size, so you can turn that saved just in case flip phone into a cheap burner.

They now offer data as an add-on and monthly plans:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

slidebite posted:

So Father-In-Law has an old cellphone that he was going to setup with Telus on some lovely pay-as-you-go thing. Instead of him signing up with it, I just wanted him to get a sim and 7-11 speakout which would be fine for his needs. I asked if his cell was unlocked and he said absolutely. So I got him a sim and airtime and, you guessed it, it's locked to Telus. I should have known better.

ANYHOW,

Is there a cheapo way to unlock an old Nokia 3710a-1c flip phone? I've seen some online places that are $30+US for a code, but if it's that much I'd rather just get him to put the money towards a new no-frills already unlocked phone.
e: Found an ebay seller for $19 CDN. Think I'll just do that.

Ask family/friends if anybody has a spare Rogers or Fido phone kicking around in the misc drawer. It'll work on Speakout fine.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

My mom can only afford one phone bill, and if she's only going to have one phone she'd prefer a landline to a cell phone. Fair enough, she's old and that's what she wants. (Even though a landline actually costs $10/month more than my chatr plan, whatever mom, you do you.)

She used to carry a little flip phone for emergencies. It was a Telus pay-as-you-go thing, and if I got the $100 (400 minutes) top up it wouldn't expire for a year. Good enough. Then outside screen cracked. No biggie, you need to open it to dial anyway. And the speaker started getting really crackly, but it's only for emergencies so she didn't care. Final nail in the coffin was when Telus discontinued supporting that band . . . or something. She got a message that the phone wouldn't work after June of this year. She didn't want a new phone, so that was the end of that.

This week Victoria got a bit of snow, the sidewalks are a bit icy in places, and I started worrying about her being out there without a phone. So I looked for deals. Oh, hey, the 7-11 phone thing lets you buy top ups as low as $25 that last for 365 days. Score! http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates Except 7-11 doesn't exactly scream quality to me.

TLDR: Anyone have any experience with 7-11 Speakout phone service? Any terrible secrets I should know about? In Victoria, BC, if that matters.

There is also this http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-pay-you-go-120-year-unlimited-text-weekend-evening-calling-1949777/ which has unlimited evenings and weekends calling of top of being an emergency phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

slidebite posted:

Well dumped Freedom last night and back to public mobile. Ended up with the 50g Canada/USA/Roaming plan for $65/month, I'll keep my eyes open for any promos that might come.

The sign up process with Public's website was more than a little clunky, got errors towards the end, but downloaded the app and finished it with that. The e-sim process was fairly easy and straight forward, I didn't even know my Pixel 6 was a dual SIM phone lol.

Now just to wait and see if they charged my CC twice and have to deal with that.

But, immediately seeing full strength of 5G upon the changeover was pretty nice. I don't think I'll miss the Wifi calling of Freedom as PM/Telus network is so much stronger in areas I go.

Did you have a chance to check if you have access to EPP Telus plans? They were offering $50 can/us last month, might as well go straight to the source.