Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
What is with Wind's horrible repair policy of taking 14 days to repair a damaged charging port and then asking for a $150 deposit. It that sort of thing normal for cellphone companies here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

OilSlick posted:

Yep. Seeing as how Wind likely deals with the same repair companies the Big 3 deals with, that sounds totally normal. Was the deposit for a loaner phone?

It's been a while since I've had to deal with repair centers, but they're generally terrible. They're virtually impossible to get a hold of, take forever to respond to emails, and ignore any special instructions you may have for them. Shipping a phone to them to get repaired and returned often takes between 2-4 weeks, sometimes longer. Defects are often never fully repaired, and they will probably return again, it's just a matter of when. Without the burden of competition, they don't have to worry about pesky things like customer service. You cannot dispute their findings in any way. If they say your phone got wet but your phone has never left your pocket, or that your charging port was bent even though you've always been gentle with it, too bad. It's one of the shittiest parts of our cellular industry and so far there's been no real attempt to improve it.

The deposit was incase the repair centre decided that the damage was my fault. If I wanted a loaner phone it would be $10, but I'm imaging it would just be a flip-phone of some kind so why bother with that?

But I'm not even going to bother with the repair centre at this point since I got a replacement part for $5.00 (thank you Shenzhen, what electronics don't you have) and have access to a hot-air reflow station. The board layout has the usb port put in a spot that allows for easy repairs, almost like engineers thought that it was a weak point and would be the most likely thing needing to be replaced.

However I'm thinking the average user does not have access to a SMD repair station, and if anything serious was damaged I wouldn't even attempt a repair. So this policy still makes me mad. :(

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
Apparently porting a number is exactly the same thing as cancelling an account, nice to know that Fido!

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

grack posted:

Uh, well, yeah. If you port your number out you're no longer paying for an account with Fido, right?

I should have clarified, my partner's contract is up on the 2nd of August so they gave the 30-day notice to Fido, and was told by the CSR that if they ported their number that they would continue to have an account just no service. Now Fido sends them a bill today for the last month, and a 100 dollar early termination fee for both voice and data.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
Oh we were expecting the monthly charge on the invoice, it is the 200$ early cancelation fee we weren't expecting as the CSR assured my partner that wouldn't happen.