Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You could have escalated your complaint to the CCTS. They cannot make you pay for service they didn't provide. I don't blame you for not wanting to be bothered at the time though, but keep it in mind for future reference.

2 months port time is atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Galaxy S4 frequencies:

Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+/LTE
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
3G (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (700, 850, AWS, 1900 MHz)

HTC One frequencies:

Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+/LTE
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
3G (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
HSDPA 21, HSUPA 5.76
4G LTE (700 MHz, AWS)

Those are pasted from the Google Play Store. Given those frequencies, they would be supported by Bell/Rogers/Telus as well as their discount brands, Virgin/Fido/Koodo, and should work on their LTE networks as well. They will not work on WIND / Mobilicity since neither phone supports the 3G AWS band.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lexicon posted:

Is there a technical means by which Fido might block tethering on a device (factory unlocked iPhone) that didn't come from the carrier? Basically, I'm wondering if that $39 plan with 600MB would be technically capable of tethering, even though they say it's only "supported" on plans with >= 1GB data (obviously extensive tethering is a bad idea with so little data - just curious if it would work)

Tethering support is controlled by the carrier on iPhones, whether the phone is locked or unlocked I'm afraid. I know my brother with a Rogers 500MB plan does not have tethering, so it's possible they could block it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I really hope the court of appeal tells them to screw off. They have knowledge of when all contracts will be subject to the new code, it's their choice if they want to keep selling 3 year contracts knowing that the code will apply to all contracts by June 3, 2015.

Their crying about the subsidy should fall on deaf ears, considering US carriers have supplied the same subsidies for years on 2 year contracts.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah me too, 10% off the 'base price' ($25) of my plan, even though with data realistically I'm paying $50/month after taxes. Of course it makes perfect sense that 'addons' don't count. They're addons! Perfect sense!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Looks like it's actually 2GB for $60 monthly though, and unless you need the minutes the Talk and Text plans with Pay Per Use data are still a better value.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I might only use 5-10 minutes a month at most in calls. I still keep a voice plan for the convenience of having a phone number people can reliably call/SMS.

Plus I can send text messages in areas with crappy but available cell signals and no data.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I believe Bell has started rolling out the 2600 MHz band as well. I guess the benefits are wider channels at the expense of building penetration.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Jan posted:

I'm going to look into dropping voice, though, because I'm loving sick of having to pay $60 a month just to get a decent amount of data, when tablet plans are the only goddamn way to get flex data.

This isn't true with at least two of the 'discount' brands these days (Koodo and Virgin). Both offer voice plans with reasonable (for the canadian wireless definition of reasonable) flex data.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Oh for sure. $5 for a paltry 25 MB is stupid, but I'm pretty sure the tablet flex plans have even more stupid and less flexible cost curves, which is what he was considering anyway.

The tablet flex data plans essentially give you 2 break points, but the first two are both pretty small amounts of data. Use more than 250MB and you've already hit the maximum tier ($35 for the month), whereas on the phone flex data plan up to 300 is smack dab in the middle and $20 less.

Besides, it's not like you get any better of a deal by buying a fixed size bucket, unless you consistently use most of the bucket you pay for.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 12, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Jan posted:

Also, you need to do your research, the only tablet plans with a lovely 250mb before max cost cutoff are Bell-Virgin's.

Give me a break. These plans change as often as the wind changes direction, it was an example. I'm sure Rogers has slightly different cutoffs as well as Telus but in the end they're all roughly the same crap. I'm not going to Google every company's pricing chart and give you an exact cost breakdown for an example, I was just using numbers off the top of my head.

If you did your research, you could be paying $55/month with phone flex data and use 3GB each month and have the option of paying $45 if you use 1GB which is better than your $60/month fixed-rate 2GB plan. It's a solution to your false claim that flex data is only offered on tablet plans, and would offer a much better experience than messing around with SIP for voice.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Actually the Virgin $30 plan doesn't get flex data. It's an insultingly expensive $10/250MB plan. You need to choose the $35 plan to get the flex data.

edit: Ignore me, I'm wrong. Looks like thats just an option and you can opt for the flex data if you don't pick the $10/250MB addon.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I believe I remember reading in the CRTC document mandating 2 year terms that it specifically applied to consumers only, so I think it's possible.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'd highly doubt it's true. If you're bringing your own device you can use any plan you want. The only reason they force people to sign up for the more expensive plans is so they can make the money back on the subsidy. I'm sure they don't mind the wording being confusing though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't understand how they can provide such cheap rates while piggy backing off the big three's networks. Definitely curious, this is my first time hearing about them too.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you're buying outright it's best to just buy direct from Apple, no point going through Telus for that. Buying through Apple ensures the phone you get is unlocked.

Most likely if you want a subsidized phone they'll make you change your plan to something that's currently on offer, unless you can negotiate a deal with their retentions department.

If you're buying the phone outright you should be fine just staying on your current plan.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yes. And please don't believe the rumour that you need to not pay things on time in order to build credit.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
That captcha is ridiculous. Took me 6 different captchas before I finally got one that works. I was positively entering the proper letters each time but it kept denying me. Scumbags.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Carriers most likely won't be selling the Nexus 5 for $349 off-contract, the current rumor is $500. If you want the Google price you'll probably have to buy via the Play Store.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
To be a little fair to our carriers pretty much no one else sells Nexus devices at the Play Store price, not in the US either. Google is at best breaking even selling them for $350.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lexicon posted:

I'm sure you're correct, but how does it not qualify as a material change to the contract I agreed to?

With enough hours spent on the phone arguing with managers and their managers you might be able to convince them to cancel your contract. Otherwise you'll have to take them to court and argue your case. Depends how much you care.

OilSlick posted:

Nope. Think about why they are doing this: their costs are going up and need to make more money to maintain their status quo. Implementing a policy that allows you to ditch them without recovering the money they spent to make you a customer is the opposite of what they want. Roger's lawyers would have gone over the legal ramifications of this with a fine toothed comb.

I think it's not in one's best interest to assume that everything Rogers does is on the up and up, whether their lawyers think they can get away with this or not. They are most likely betting that people won't bother to do anything about this.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 6, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The iPhone 5S and newer models of the iPhone 5 do support AWS and will work on Wind / Mobilicity (if unlocked of course)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Get the AT&T version unlocked and it will work on all LTE networks here. Lower frequency typically means better building penetration.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an FYI for anyone considering picking up a cellular enabled tablet. I picked up an iPad Air today at Future Shop and you get a $50 gift card if you activate service with Rogers. Worked out for me since I wanted a different network from my phone (Virgin/Bell).

I didn't ask if this was iPad Air specific but I'd be surprised if it was -- seemed to be a Rogers promotion more than anything else.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They sort of cover both. They cover the upcoming month of service (your base plan) in addition to any overages / additional charges from the previous month.

Anyway, good luck trying to escape the 30 days notice thing. I just said gently caress it and ported without notice. I didn't want to deal with them making it hard to port my number because I 'cancelled', dealing with the CCTS to get my money back, etc.

It just needs to be against the law to require 30 days service to cancel when they can terminate service at any time and are physically incapable of providing service if you port out, end of story.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Virgin's $30/month silver plan isn't half bad right now. Their flex data rates are pretty reasonable.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Who cares what phone he wants to buy? He's obviously aware of what he's buying. Standby time will also be loads better than a battery sucking smartphone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Duro posted:

So I would need a new sim card to get LTE essentially? Does the 5s have a smaller sim than the 4 (meaning I'd have to change it regardless)?

Yeah, the 5(S) uses a smaller SIM, so you'll be getting a new one anyway. They most likely won't let you buy an iPhone subsidized without signing you on to one of the "in market" plans.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
$50 is still a huge scam and is 100% free money for Rogers. If you buy it outright it shouldn't even be locked.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
When it comes to the big 3, they're all roughly the same with slightly varying tiers. Depends on what you think your usage per month would be. I don't find the "discount" brands to be any better than the main brands when it comes to tablet plans.

I haven't considered WIND for tablets though, mainly because I don't have good WIND coverage in my area.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I know that Motorola recently announced they were permanently dropping the price of the Moto X to $400 in the US... not sure if that applies here as well though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
My friend has WIND and we live in a decent coverage zone and his reception is fine. No LTE data but 3G seems to be decently fast for him. The only problem is leaving the city can be a pain, there's not much coverage between major cities and it sucks if you have to travel to an area where there's no coverage. That's the only barrier keeping me from switching.

$30/month for unlimited province wide calling and unlimited data is tough to beat though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah basically everyone who has to renew needs to pick an in-market 2 year plan, they're not allowed to renew contracts for 3 years for consumers anymore.

Also I believe by default tethering operates over a different APN than regular data so that's probably how they tracked your tethering usage.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
There's typically not many additional fees other than taxes these days, but yeah you're probably going to be looking at $60+ before taxes minimum if you want a subsidized phone.

The Nexus 5 and Moto G are both relatively cheap to buy outright (and also pretty good phones) and that would give you more options for cheaper plans.

I'm most familiar with Virgin since they're my provider, but if you bring your own phone you can sign up with the fairly reasonable "Silver" plans which either can come with data buckets or you can use their fairly flexible tiered pay-per-use data option.

Right now they have a $39/month plan with 400 min canada wide, unlimited evenings/weekends from 5pm, unlimited intl. texting, and 400MB of data.

They also give you 10% off for bringing your own phone but that's pretty common across most carriers these days.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If this included roaming on non-WIND networks in Canada as well I would switch today.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So that's $300 on top of the $199 or whatever you have to pay for the subsidized price of the phone?

edit: vvvv Wow, what a ripoff.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

WienerDog posted:

$300 is clearly lower then $699, but there are other factors too, like what if the old phone is not in tradable condition? Or you don't want to trade it in? What if there's not a phone you want to buy in exactly one year? or what if that phone is more then $250?

You also save $20/month on most of their plans if you bring your own phone, so you're giving that up too I'd imagine.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

TheZodiac posted:

Look at this poo poo from VirginMobileCanada

From

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell/virgin-mobile-plans-march-18/

Looks like just prior to summer is the time to introduce new monthly plans by carriers with a slight price increase. We saw this with Rogers, Fido, Telus, Koodo, Bell and now Virgin Mobile. The latter is set to debut new plans on Tuesday, March 18 according to an internal doc reports MobileSyrup.

Here are the new Silver Plans (which offer $200 in subsidies) coming March 18; we’ve noted the changes in brackets compared to current plans:

$34/month ($5 increase): 200 minutes, 50MB data, 5pm evenings
$39/month (loss of 100mins/100MB): 300 minutes, 300MB data, 5pm evenings
$44/month ($2 increase): 500 minutes, 500MB data, 5pm evenings
$54/month ($2 increase, 250MB less): 1000 minutes, 750MB data, 5pm evenings
$64/month ($2 increase, 1.5GB less): unlimited minutes, 1GB data
$74/month ($2 increase, 1.5GB less): unlimited minutes, 2GB data
For the new Gold Plans (which offer $300 in subsidies), all you have to do is add $5/month to each Silver Plan. This model now is the same across Fido, Koodo and Virgin Mobile.

Existing Silver 29 and Gold 34 plans will remain available until March 31.

Also, Platinum 75 is increasing by $5/month to become Platinum 80 (unlimited minutes, 500MB; up to $700 in subsidies a.k.a. new iPhone contracts).

They say "up to $700 in subsidies" but has anyone actually received a $700 subsidy? I know they still charge $229 for the base price iPhone which is $490 off at best, all for a ripoff $80/month plan for 2 years.

Also those new Silver plans are a joke. The bottom tier one is 50MB data with an additional $5/50MB overage charge. That plan used to be $25/month with their Pay-per-use data tiers (1GB = $20).

The overages in general have gotten way more restrictive as well. It used to be $10/GB, now it's $5/250MB on even the 1 and 2GB plans.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

How's the site itself? Is it the DSLReports of phones for Canada?

Yeah pretty much, it's the most concentrated place I've found for any wireless info. It's where sites like iphoneincanada and mobilesyrup jack their news from most of the time.

The level of discussion is pretty terrible in some threads though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you want a subsidized phone you will probably have to get one of the newer plans, unless your base plan is already >= $60/month. That's the last I heard anyway.