Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So Virgin Mobile has changed their pay per use data rates without a peep to customers. I just got a nasty bill because I was under the assumption the rates were still the same (1 GB for $20, or if you go over, up to 3GB for $30) but now it's a paltry $20 for 500MB and an additional $5/250MB. Sigh.

Edit: just realized they silently changed my plan amount too -- previously it was a $25 plan, now it's mysteriously a $28 plan. Kinda glad they did this because I think they're free to change their pay per use rates whenever they want, but they sure as poo poo aren't allowed to just change the price of my plan. If you're with Virgin, scrutinize your next bill.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm in Southern Ontario, near Toronto.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just noticed that you can still get a 2GB data addon for $25 http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/features/features-summary.html?dType=deviceType_DATASMRT

So, it's not quite as terrible as the new pay per use rates. That page says as of "June 2014" so it seems like they jumped the gun applying the changes to my bill. I was wondering why it was without any notice.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an update on Virgin after speaking to a rep on the phone today:

Turns out I was informed about the $3 increase to my plan, in a small box on my February bill. "To keep plans competitive". It's funny hearing them try to justify it over the phone, I could almost hear him cringe as he said it. Anyway, my fault there, guess I need to read my bills more closely.

The flex data charges he admitted was their fuckup because they sent me no notice and their website says the changes take affect June 2014, so he credited me the whole amount of pay per use charges for the month, and I added the $25/2GB addon. Gotta say at least their customer service was pretty straightforward.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 10, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Geektox posted:

I think that since it's not a standardized phone number DND would let it through.

That doesn't really make sense, the only exceptions DND is supposed to make are for those on your favourites, and only if you've turned that setting on.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
This is the excellent competitive service they can only provide by increasing the cost of your plans.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Is there any way to order a Moto G (preferably the LTE edition when it's released) from Motorola or some kind of reseller without going through a carrier?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks, I'll look into one that's closer to me in southern ontario.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's only to ensure the quality of the excellent service provided by Rogers!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
There are plans that cost more money for less features that you're required to take if you get a larger device subsidy. For example, the equivalent of slidebite's plan in the "Gold" category is $60/month, not including taxes.

So yes, they have changed plans slightly as they seem to do every 3 months, but you also could be in a different tier that provides larger subsidies in exchange for more expensive plans.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 12, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just buy the phone you want unlocked and keep your plan. It's probably cheaper than being forced into an $80+ share plan over 2 years, not to mention the savings of an unlocked phone if you ever travel anywhere else.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an FYI, iOS 7 has data by app. It's under Settings -> Cellular.

I know the few times I used more data than I expected, it's because I started streaming a video and then came inside onto wifi. The video stream didn't switch to using Wifi, so the whole video used a bunch of data.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
$50/month for 5GB data, all in? That is a crazy good deal.

Are you sure that isn't on top of $60/month for the smartphone? Rogers' in market plans are currently $60/month as a base 'smartphone fee' plus an additional $20/month - $105/month for data buckets (500MB - 15GB)

edit: Since you mentioned 3 year contract, is this a corporate plan offering?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Also, why does the phone have the LTE icon in the lower left yet the network says HSPA?

I think this is some side effect of the Bell "My Account" panel. I'm on Virgin (which is Bell and uses the same backend) and my account also says my phone "runs on the HSPA network" even though it's an iPhone 5 with LTE and definitely uses LTE just fine.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Because there's competition in Manitoba/Saskatchewan in the form of MTS/Sasktel that actually force the Big 3 to compete. Ontario has no such luxury. Only Thunder Bay gets semi-competitive plans here.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So Bell launched new Thunder Bay promo plans:

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Promotions/Thunder-Bay

There's a $60 unlimited everything with 6GB of data, or a $75 unlimited everything with 12GB(!) of data

Anyone know if there's any techniques to get on these plans, similar to the Koodo SK/MB plans?

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 14, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Koodo's PAYG plans are probably the closest to 'acceptable'. Buckets of canada wide minutes that don't expire, as well as buckets of data that don't expire. The only downside is the minimum recurring $15 monthly fee for the 'base' plan that includes unlimited texting.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Shofixti posted:

The provincial differences make it so blindingly obvious that there is a massive competition problem in the Canadian wireless market. How on earth can anyone in the industry or CRTC spin it any other way and keep a straight face. I know the CRTC are basically a bunch of corporate shills but still, this Manitoba plan disparity is so plain and obvious. How could anyone look at this situation and not conclude that the big three are colluding to keep prices high.

Hell, even look at the Thunder Bay plans -- crazy price differences in plans depending on where you live in the province, all because of competition from Tbaytel.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The iPhone 4 still doesn't support the WIND frequencies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It will work. iPhones have been compatible with WINDs network since April 2013 models of the iPhone 5.

The specific frequency you're looking for is AWS, in other words the split 1700/2100 frequency.

Edit: note that WIND has no LTE support, just HSPA.