Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Welp, $12B class action suit over system access fees incoming.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1218520--supreme-court-oks-19-billion-cellphone-suit-over-system-access-fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

I had a similar problem with my new phone number, kept getting calls from some weird collection agency in London (Aktiv Capital or something like that). I tried to tell them several times that I was not the previous owner but they wouldn't take me off the list without giving them my SIN and gently caress if I'm going to give that to some random call center people. Of course once they get a live person its like a shark smelling blood in the water, I started getting 3-5 calls a day from different numbers which is apparently a common trick to get around collection agency call restrictions.

Anyway, my phone had no way of blocking the number and the apps on the android market to do it were buggy. I called Wind and they wouldn't do it either but I found a workaround. I basically made up a contact called Moron Spammers and added every single number of theirs to it then ticked off the straight to voicemail box in the contact details. iOS must have an equivalent somewhere. 99% of the time their automated dialers hang up before hitting the VM recording and I never see the calls so I am happy. It's not a true block but its as close as you will probably get without getting your lawyer to send a letter to the company insisting they block a number.

Yeah, I'm dealing with this too right now. Switched my number recently and almost immediately kept getting calls from a company called IQOR. Added them to my contacts and made sure "send to voicemail" was checked. Usually catches the calls immediately.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I am seriously contemplating getting the 4S

Even though the 5 is just around the corner?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm probably gonna order the Nexus 4 right from Google. I have to go to a Fido kiosk to switch to a micro sim, don't I? :smith:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

A Fido LTE Micro SIM Card supports the "lower" networks, right? I need to go get a micro sim for my new phone and figure if, down the road, I upgrade to an LTE-capable phone, I'll at least not need to buy yet another SIM.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So the Nexus 4 (16 GB) is now reservable at Fido.

I'm still waffling on getting mine fixed.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

EscapeHere posted:

Also, is the $40 reservation fee reimbursed once you buy it?

Yeah.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Gah, every person who has shown interest in buying my Nexus 4 backs out in the last minute.

(And I do make it clear from the beginning that the screen is cracked and needs replacing. )

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cozmosis posted:

Apologies if this is asked like every other page or something but..

We are taking a trip to Canada from the US for a little under a week, and would like to get a prepaid SIM for data - mainly google maps while driving. Don't anticipate needing more than 500MB-1GB. We will be driving to Niagara Falls and exploring Toronto. Texts would be nice but not essential at all.

We have a Verizon iPhone 5S and an AT&T iPhone 5 in our arsenal. What is the cheapest and easiest way to go about this, either something I can initiate from the US or really easily while we are in Niagara?

Thanks for your help.

http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml would meet your data/texting requirements. You'd have to drop by a store in Niagara Falls that handles Koodo like Future Shop for a sim.

Or there's 7-Eleven's SpeakOut service: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates#value-plans

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Looking at currently available cellphone plans is depressing, mainly regarding data. People seriously pay $70 and only have 500 megs? I'd have to seriously scale down my phone usage if I was stuck with that. :psyduck:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

PS. Love the cabin posted:

It's bad but I've never used up all my 1GB except once when my phone had a weird bug.
In the past few months the most I think I used was 260 or so mb.

That was me in 2008, when the iPhone 3G came out. I had all this data but never broke a gig. Nowadays I'm either close or over my 6 GB bucket. And I don't even tether.

(Removed apps are facebook and twitter)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lmao Fido called me and tried to get me to sign on their two year tab24 contract and give me a Galaxy S5 for only $230.

I didn't feel like discussing retention issues so I just kinda dismissed the offer saying I'm waiting for the larger iPhone next year.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wind Mobile is now Freedom Mobile, LTE is rolling out in a few days but it's limited to certain cities and only one phone supports the band.

Here's hoping the iPhone 7S does AWS-3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Fuckin' lol: http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/14/public-mobile-offers-new-3g-data-plans-at-a-lower-cost/