Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cacator posted:

I want to get the Galaxy S3 but still have 13 months left on my current contract with Telus. I can trade in my current phone (HTC Desire) and get a $40 credit for my cancellation fee and get it before July 10 for their dumb "no activation fee" promotion or I can go through retentions and possibly see if they can offer a better plan (currently on $65 with 1 GB data and 200 minutes etc.). What can I realistically expect from retentions, given that I am a lazy man and would prefer not to do it?

I considered switching to Wind but I want LTE.

What can you realistically expect from retentions?

Depends on how much you're willing to negotiate. Find a promotional plan from another carrier that you really like (even the Bell Business plans that show up on Craigslist) and use it as a base. You can get retentions departments to do some whacky things if you're persistent, especially if you're due for an upgrade or renewal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Akileese posted:

So I'm going to Montreal at the end of the month. I currently have an HSPA+ Gnex running on a monthly 4g t-mo service. Is there anything decent prepaid data wise in Canada? I have no problem buying a month worth and just letting it go, but it would be nice to have even a little data so I can use maps/fb/twitter. Maybe 500mbs or around that. I'm staying with a friend so I'll have wifi whenever I'm there.

If your phone is unlocked you can get service on Wind and Mobilicity as they both use the AWS band for data (same as T-Mobile). On Wind it's $40 unlimited talk/text/data and you can go month to month.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Migishu posted:

So on Tuesday I called Fido. It's been a week, they've hosed up multiple times on my order, and they still haven't shipped my phone...

...to get a response from an agent "apparently we're not shipping out any more phones until July 20, seems to be for all phones, not just the Galaxy Nexus".

The gently caress? Can someone explain this poo poo?

Fido - great customer service (provided you know how to talk to them) supply chain and internal communications FUBAR'd constantly.

The last time I went for my renewal I talked retentions in to a sweetheart deal of giving me a smartphone at 3 year data plan price on 2 year voice only. Went to a Fido store to pick the phone up and they wouldn't let me because they didn't believe me, even though I had a contract number and rep number in hand for lookup.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's Rogers. This is what I'm worried about. I want to add a data plan to a line on my family plan, but the way he described the changes sounded very appealing -- I don't have the list underhand right now, but it was pretty decent and would end up only being like $10 more than what I'm paying for more minutes, shared 2gb data (which is fine by me, I've lived on 500mb for three years and never once went over), free long distance and other little pieces of fluff.

I'm not against signing another contract with Rogers, but I was hoping to save that perk for a hardware upgrade and not some plan change.

Get the rep to send the plan details to a local Rogers store to get it all in writing, especially the part about you *not* re-upping a contract. Make sure everything you agreed to is spelled out point by point, and have a reference number and agent number on the contract.

Belt and suspenders perhaps, but absolutely worthwhile since there are Rogers stores everywhere these days.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fractal Cat posted:

Apparently porting a number is exactly the same thing as cancelling an account, nice to know that Fido!

Uh, well, yeah. If you port your number out you're no longer paying for an account with Fido, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Migishu posted:

1: Never order a contract or phone over the phone (this should've been a given to me, but I have to learn it the hard way). Get it from the store. At least if something fucks up, they can fix it in store.
2: There is such a thing as being too patient.
3: Don't let customer service dick you around.
4: Don't sign up for a loving contract, you'll be better off
5: gently caress Fido
6: gently caress the Canadian mobile phone system

Whelp, you story sucks to be sure and Fido's CS has taken a definite nosedive since being bought by Rogers. However, service from the big three sucks pretty evenly so choose your poison, really.

Personally, I've been with Fido for more than 10 years now and I've never had a problem even close to the magnitude that you had. The only thing that came close for me was a franchise store not wanting to give me a phone despite having my order number and CSR number on hand. That was fixed in less than 24 hours.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Canadian carriers are not legally allowed to prevent your from unlocking your phone because of the roaming issue.

They just don't have to do anything to help it along.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Is my Samsung Galaxy S2 on the Virgin Modible network unlocked? Could I get a pre paid T-mobile SIM or something similar when I go to the US for holidays?

If you buy a phone directly from a carrier in Canada just assume it's network locked. If it was bought used or from a third party store ask the person you bought it from.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

shadok posted:

Yesterday my Bell Galaxy Nexus updated itself from 4.01 to 4.02, a mere nine months after the official release. Yay! But then just now it updated itself to 4.1.1. I was not expecting that.

Does anyone know if the GNex can now do the fast multiple camera shots that the S3 can do, or is that a hardware thing?

Burst mode depends on how big of a cache the phone has for picture/video, as well as the write speed to the SD card. So yes, there is a hardware issue that needs to be addressed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Crumbles posted:

So, my Rogers contract ended a few months ago, and now with the release of the new iPhone, I'm getting ready to start haggling... I've been paying close to $80/mo for the past three years for 6GB of data, and nearly bare bones everything else. Looking at Wind's offerings, I can get a fully decked out plan for half that. I'd really love to stop over paying. My one issue with Wind is that I leave the Wind Zone pretty often, and would prefer not to be roaming half the time.

Anyone have any experiences or tips to share when arguing with Rogers? Is there any hope that I can get my monthly rate reduced, or will I only be looking at some beefed up subsidies on a new phone?

Rogers' retention department has pretty well stopped trying to plan-match with Wind and Mobilicity. If you're set on sticking with Rogers you'll end up with a minimum $50 plan to get a subsidy on any decent smartphone. If you stick with it you can probably get your plan down to ~$60 or so with a decent amount of data but it works best if you can get them to match a plan from another non-AWS provider like Telus.

If you switch to Wind or Mobilicity plan on spending more upfront on the phone to get the cheaper plans, but the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Nexus are both available.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

terriyaki posted:

So according to her, if I were for example to downgrade to the standard $20 Canada-wide plan for October, I have the option to go back to the original $60 6GB Canada-wide plan in November (or any time in the future).

This is not true. Once you're on a plan with a carrier they can not force you on to a new plan without your permission. However, if you're on a plan that's been discontinued and make changes they are under no obligation to let you back on to the plan you had.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Geektox posted:

So it looks like it's possible that some carriers will pick it up but it would be cheaper to buy straight from Google. And even with contract subsidies it probably won't up cheaper than arguably higher-specced phones like the One X+ or S3.

The Nexus 4 is higher spec'ed than either of those phones except memory. It won't have expandable memory.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

D C posted:

Is there a Canadian/World version of the Razr Maxx?

All signs point to yes - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_maxx-4666.php

No idea where'd you get one, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Thanks for posting that info sheet, used it to wrangle a better plan out of Fido.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently on Thursday, the Amazon App Store became available in Canada. Your phone has to be able to install third party apps, if any still block that.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001119741&ref_=sa_menu_gs_adr_app

I doubt the prices are any better, but it does have the free app of the day.

Sweet. I take back some of the nasty things I said about you for being a Bruins' fan.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Seems reasonable. Fido's CS is pretty good, especially if you know how to talk to the retention guys. If nothing else, I'm grateful Rogers didn't gently caress that up when they acquired Microcell.

Also, access to the 2600MHZ LTE band is nice as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

less than three posted:

What band is this go on! :allears:

Do you mean 1900?

No, I mean the 2600mhz LTE band that Rogers deploys, like it says right here -> http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/31/rogers-confirms-that-2600mhz-lte-is-available-in-all-markets-where-we-offer-lte-aws-2100/

On my unlocked Rogers Optimus G that supports said 2600mhz LTE band, like it says right here -> http://www.lg.com/ca_en/cell-phones/lg-LGE971-optimus-g/technical-specifications

What, is three seconds of Googling too much for you?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DarkJC posted:

I believe Bell has started rolling out the 2600 MHz band as well. I guess the benefits are wider channels at the expense of building penetration.

As far as I know development of that band was a joint project between Bell and Rogers. Right now it's rather nice as there are very, very few phones in Canada that support it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Godinster posted:

The S4 and the Optimus G both do, I would imagine there's more than a few S4s out there.

Is it so difficult to assume I meant "in comparison to other LTE bands"?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

terriyaki posted:

Holy poo poo those are brutal!

I'm going to hold onto this $60 6GB Canada wide thing as long as I can.. but technically I guess it's only a matter of time now since Koodo is month to month.. They could just technically bump me to some retarded plan whenever they wanted, couldn't they?

The one saving grace is no, they can't. It's illegal in Canada to unilaterally change cellular phone contracts without express consent of the paying customer. This includes month to month.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jan posted:

No.

Under the new CRTC rules, then you'll only have to pay the balance on your phone that hasn't been subsidized, but in the meantime earlier contracts still have arbitrary random cancellation fees.

This is actually incorrect, it depends when the contract was signed. Telus and Fido both currently allow you to cancel a contract by paying off your remaining device subsidy, I'm unsure about the other carriers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lexicon posted:

What's the best way to acquire a nano sim card for my Rogers account? Will Rogers give me one if I stop by the store?

Basically, I want to move my Rogers account from a micro sim onto it, as I have adapters to use any size of sim card upwards from nano.

Stop by a Rogers' store and ask them to transfer your account details on to a nano sim. It'll probably cost you about $10.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, well, Harper also said he was going to make sure the CRTC didn't allow ISPs to introduce tiered internet plans and welp we know what happened there.

Let's wait until the auction is actually done, though this is a good step.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Godinster posted:

Rogers is allowing people to keep their legacy plans on two year terms, Fido might be as well. I'd give a call to Fido, Duro

That's only because they're not legally allowed to make unilateral changes to cell phone contracts.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Rogers gives you $20 if you bring your own device.

Only on their top tier plans, and even after the discount they aren't that good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Not sure about the others, but Telus will unlock anything that's been paid off or is at the end of the contract at no charge (just call their customer service).

The telecommunications act passed this year requires telecoms to provide unlock codes for devices off of subsidy.

Edit: I should clarify - unsubsidized phones immediately, subsidized after 90 days.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 24, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hardtarget posted:

ugh, so I cut down my fullsize SIM from my GNex and popped it into my new N5, no problem. Cut was stressful but easy and the phone booted up and connected to fido fine, saved me 10 bucks.

Then I noticed I'm only getting 3G speeds, none of this LTE promised land business. Phoned up Fido and apparently even though I bought my GNex last November from them (so a year ago) and LTE was already all the rage back then they only gave me a 3G SIM and so no LTE for me until I pony up 10 bucks for a new LTE capable micro-sim.

Super bummed about that, why would they even be giving away non lte sims at this point.

Go to a store and talk to an associate, you *should* be able to get an LTE sim for free if you don't have one already. I did when I bought my Optimus G in March.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I put my old sim in backwards in my phone (LG Nitro HD) and told them it stopped connecting to the network.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So, between the Black Friday sale and my Fido Dollars I just picked up a Nexus 5 for a grand total of ~$61, taxes and upgrade fees in. Plus, I locked in my excellent $39 450 minutes/600mB data plan for another 30 months.

Black Friday is awesome, yo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've convinced a friend to get the Nexus 5 at the $0 Black Friday price, will it be unlocked? I was under the impression that Nexus phones are factory unlocked, and all my searching confirms this, but the guy at Cellcom said it would be carrier locked.

e: Rogers *611 confirms it's unlocked too, but Cellcom continues to insist it's locked.

Cellcom is dumb. Nexus phones are unlocked.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Madox posted:

Sorry I cant answer your question, but I have one for you. When you buy the phone outright, does it still have the special Rogers bios and cruft on it? I'm trying to find a way to get a new Lumia phone that is just from the factory with no carrier modifications, since my service is from Bell.

Right now only Nexus phones come with no crapware. If you buy any other smart phone from Bell rest assured they will load it up with useless garbage.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I'm probably going to go for Fido/Rogers since I really want the Nokia 515. Does anyone know if their plans are month to month and if there's any less lovely options I may not have thought of? I can't find anything. :(

I am absolutely mystified as to why you would want that phone.

And yes, with Fido you can take any of their plans month-to-month. There are some data options that can only be used month-to-month as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

What's so mystifying about it?

It costs more and is substantially less capable than a ton of other phones on the market? Oh, and the standard talk time sucks even compared to low end smartphones (something that's supposed to be a benefit of feature phones).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I was pretty certain the Moto G could connect to the internet?

Err, so can the Nokia 515? It supports 7.2Mbps HSDPA and has a built-in browser. I mean, you can turn off the data connection but you can do that on any smartphone as well. I used Android phones for three full years without a data plan.

Anyways, make the choice you want, it just seems a little strange. Fido and Rogers both do by-the-month plans.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Do Rogers stores just let you buy phones outright?

I'm already with Rogers, but the corporate plan I'm on can't be modified by Rogers stores. It has to be done through the plan's assigned agent.

I'd rather buy in store because then I can just pay there instead of having to go through invoices and accounting (since they would put it on my monthly bill if the agent did it.)

You'll probably have to go through a dealer rather than a corporate store.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

So that's like Wireless Wave and stuff? I think that's the only one we have here. Do Futureshop and Bestbuy count?

Yes, all three of those places should work fine.

I mean, it's entirely possible you could buy a phone straight out from a corporate store but from my limited experience they're generally not interested in helping unless you're starting/renewing a contract.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

So I have a plan from Fido that's basically their $30 plan but for $25. That's going to expire in March... or at least the $7 credit for voicemail.

Any ideas on what I can do to keep it?

Just call up and ask. The CSR should be able to extend your existing plan/credits without any problems.

If not, just ask to be transferred to someone who can.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DarkJC posted:

Yeah basically everyone who has to renew needs to pick an in-market 2 year plan, they're not allowed to renew contracts for 3 years for consumers anymore.

Also I believe by default tethering operates over a different APN than regular data so that's probably how they tracked your tethering usage.

When did this change? I renewed on my definitely-not-in-market plan for a Nexus 5 in November

grack
Jan 10, 2012

OilSlick posted:

November was the final month for 3 year contracts.

I renewed on a 2 year contract. I was asking when "having to renew on an in-market" thing changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Honestly? If you're a long term customer you should be able to get a better plan. I'd wait until you were closer to your renewal date and see what options suddenly appear.

Add to that your upgrade window is around the time back to school promos come up.