Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm just saying that a fix is available, and since it only affects one manufacturer this may not be 100% on Rogers.

And I loving hate Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I've literally never had a problem getting an unlock code off of eBay

Also, using eBay is probably a shitload safer than entering credit card details on some random unlocking site.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Nah, better to go with that scrappy new upstart We-Think-All-Of-Our-Customers-Are-Retards Mobile. Support the little guy, you know?

Pretty much works for all the telecoms in this country.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I tried my mom's Public Mobile sim card in my Rogers Huawei P20 Pro and it worked. Does that mean Rogers gave it to me unlocked? I bought it from one of those "non-official" Rogers stores and the guy said he was about to go out of business and we had a nice conversation. He handed me the phone without opening the box. Just wondering if I lucked out here or what.

All newly purchased phones are now sold unlocked.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Those spam calls have become such a problem that the CRTC mandated that all carriers have to install equipment to prevent caller ID spoofing by next March.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hmm. Apparently Fido decided to take my not-so-subtle threat to switch carriers seriously and came up with a pretty decent offer. $55 for 5GB, Unlimited Canada-Wide talk and an LG G7 for nothing up front.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't have time right now to research ZTE, but for Huawei, no it's not?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/59w49b/huawei-surveillance-no-evidence
https://www.zdnet.com/article/paranoia-will-destroy-you-why-chinese-tech-isnt-spying-on-us/

Either put up hard evidence that spy software has been found in Huawei/ZTE phones on the market and they are "loaded to the brim", or don't post unfounded suspicions/rumours like that.

Multiple countries (not just the US!) have banned the use of Huawei networking hardware due to security concerns. I don't think it's a stretch to think that their phones might have similar issues. Whether or not this actually matters to the average person is something else entirely.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

My South Korean phone assembled in China using an American OS.

Canada will be the first to fall... :tinfoil:

If it's Canada's telcos that are the first against the wall, sign me up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Staples. Best Buy, sort of.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Canadian Cellular: Visual Voicemail Is Down To $4 Now!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scudworth posted:

Won't somebody please think of the poor insurance company

I do think about insurance companies, and invariably the thought is "gently caress those assholes."

Oddly enough, it's the same thought that comes to mind when I think about banks and telecoms in Canada.

grack fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 14, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My mother got that and asked me if she should click the link.

I threatened to replace her phone with an Etch-A-Sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I do occasionally get calls from real people who say they’re returning a call I just made to them, not sure what’s going on there.

Robocallers almost always spoof numbers for caller ID. It seems that your actual number was being used.