Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
So Mobilicity is having another promotion. All plans are $30 a month, good for a year.

It seems like they've changed their plans slightly, though, and now they include 60 minutes of North American roaming, as well as a phone protection plan.

Right now, my plan is the old $45 + $10 data addon one. I got it for half price around Christmas last year, and it was only supposed to run for 6 months. I changed credit cards a few months ago, though, and that resulted in the promotion being cancelled until they reinstated it for me. My bill for August is going to be like $30, so so far this six month plan has lasted 8 months.

So now a couple of questions. Is my phone going to be covered by the protection plan even though it's not a new phone? Also what are the odds that the "6 month" part of the promotion I have right now has been overlooked, and I'm on it indefinitely? I don't really care too much about the roaming, but if the protection plan will apply, then I'll switch. On the other hand, I don't want to stay where I am only to have my bill go up to $55 at the beginning of September because someone realised it was supposed to have expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

So I called Mobilicity and asked about their $30 thing, as I decided that the extra $3 would be worth having the roaming minutes if nothing else. The rep told me that I could actually keep my half off promotion, and that by switching to the new $45 plan, I would get everything I had already, plus 30 minutes of roaming, for $22.50, which is $5 less per month than what I was paying. gently caress yeah.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

eXXon posted:

Aren't their new promotion plans only for a year though? It's a bit of a gamble to switch if you're on a slightly less attractive lifetime plan.

The one I was one was supposed to expire in June anyway. I didn't actually switch promotions, though, they're just letting me keep it and apply it to the new $45 plan. The guy said it should stay as long as I'm prepaying with my credit card.

And I figure even if it only lasts a year, they have promotions like this every other month, so I should be able to jump on one of those. If not, then Wind will probably have something, and I'll switch to them for a while.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

So I'm looking to upgrade my phone, as my Galaxy Nexus seems to be slipping further and further into unreliability. Random reboots, which I thought I fixed by installing cyanogen mod but now I still sometimes get random OS crashes, decides not to charge for like a day and then does again, etc. Plus it feels slow as balls just opening stuff like Chrome, Gmail, etc.

I'm looking at the HTC One M8 (specifically this one off Amazon), but I need to know it's going to work on Mobilicity's network. GSM arena says there are a couple different versions that run on different frequencies, and since I don't actually know as much about cell phones as I pretend to:

1) Will that one work on Mobilicity?
2) How do you tell?
3) Can I get it at a better price somewhere else?

edit: Failing all that, is there a better choice for a phone on Mobilicity?

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 16, 2014

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Heners_UK posted:

I'm roaming in Powell River on the Freedom National network. No problems at all here. Ferries were fine (in so far as I had the same coverage as everyone else).

Keep in mind that my post can be summed up as "it works now!"

Does it call it roaming still? Until last week I was on one of their ancient plans that got you nothing once you left the city. Now I've switched to a big gig plan (with free pixel 3), and the one time I went out of town my phone said roaming and wouldn't make a call. I dunno if I just takes a few days, or a setting didn't get updated on my previous phone, or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Heners_UK posted:

The network name is "Nationwide" and it is identified as a roaming network.

Maybe I'm stupid and missing something, but I'm in Powell River this week and my only choices are two LTE networks and a 3g network, and all of them are called "AWAY". I figure I'm safe if I let it connect automatically but for the rest of the month I'm gonna be on edge that I'm gonna get extra charges when my bill comes around. I'm on a pixel 3 with Android 10 if that makes a difference.