Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh, and this is the point where we once again observe that Caller ID is an intrinsic part of a cellular signal, and it actually costs more for cellular companies to strip it out.

(Not a whole lot more, mind you, but still.)

Much like how SMS is implemented using spare bits in the GSM signalling protocol. If you send a text message, you send 160 characters of data in a special section of the packet. If you don't send a text message, you send 160 bytes of zeroes in the same section of the packet. Of course if you intentionally fill that buffer that the provider would have had to transmit anyway, they charge you 15 cents for the privilege. :argh:

Also, are there any countries other than Canada where they still charge you to receive text-messages? You'd think that it would be totally illegal to charge a customer money for receiving something that they have no ability to filter or reject, but hey, the CRTC is all old Rogers and Bell execs so the consumer is just plain hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Print up some fake letterhead from a fictional law firm and send it yourself. I doubt they're going to check up on that sort of thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Akileese posted:

So I'm going to Montreal at the end of the month. I currently have an HSPA+ Gnex running on a monthly 4g t-mo service. Is there anything decent prepaid data wise in Canada? I have no problem buying a month worth and just letting it go, but it would be nice to have even a little data so I can use maps/fb/twitter. Maybe 500mbs or around that. I'm staying with a friend so I'll have wifi whenever I'm there.

I'm not sure we even have prepaid data up here. And 500 megs?!??! Are you crazy? Who would ever use that much data?!?!? You're gonna need a MAXIMUM SOCIAL $70 a month plan to get that!

For what it's worth, your prepaid options are going to be like: 10 cents a minute local calls, +25 cents roaming, +50 cents long distance, 15 cents per SMS sent or received. Enjoy.