Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

Migishu posted:

Fido no longer offers per-second billing as of July 4

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/03/fido-shifting-towards-per-minute-billing-july-4th/

I just found this out, and is only suppose to apply to new accounts as of July 4. I signed up on July 2, so I'll be calling them up and asking them to verify my billing status.

e: According to wikipedia, they've also "cancelled" CityFido as of that date as well.
“Fido will adopt the common billing practice in Canada: per-minute billing..." hahaha! In other words, the common billing practice of gouging your customers in every possible way you can think of. Congratulations on becoming just as lovely as the rest of the oligopoly, Fido.

Thank god for Wind and Mobilicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
Is it possible for Rogers to be even more slimey? Of course!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Cellphone+case+challenges+Competition/7045071/story.html

Rogers believes their charter rights are being violated because they're not allowed to lie to customers without repercussions.

I hope the judge smacks them so hard they lose customers.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
Hey guys, did you know Telus has a blog? Did you know it's written by complete idiots? Literally every point is false: http://blog.telus.com/public-policy/the-gift-of-verizon/

Apparently Verizon will be more expensive, won't build networks in rural communities (unlike the incumbents who got free money to do it), will build a back-door for the NSA, will buy ALL THE SPECTRUM making every other carrier spontaneously break.

... and that's just one of the blog postings. Another ridiculous post claiming Telus invests the most infrastructure of all the OECD countries, forgetting that there is a ton of money given from the provinces and feds to get Telus moving in the first place: http://blog.telus.com/public-policy/scratch-the-surface-and-the-shine-comes-off-critics-mythology/

Telus has taken the Foxnews approach to media relations.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

Dallan Invictus posted:

Real Competition won't save you because the infrastructure costs and barriers to entry mean that Real Competition is economically inefficient and, left to their own devices, telecom companies will do exactly what they are doing in Canadian wireless (because they have, largely and deliberately, been left to their own devices - I recommend you read this.)
My interpretation of that legal language is that the CRTC needs to favour no at all while still promoting technological advances. They've already broken that rule by giving new wireless providers first dibs on spectrum.

If I interpreted that document correctly, the CRTC would be perfectly within their right to tell Telus, Rogers and Bell to shut the gently caress up and stop complaining... something that needs to happen.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
How does this crap keep spreading?

quote:

Verizon entry could allow U.S. NSA to spy on Canadians, union warns
from http://www.ottawacitizen.com/touch/story.html?id=8770633

If you're doing business in Canada, you must follow Canadian laws. We don't have the patriot act and instead have the charter which specifically says we have a right to privacy.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

Science posted:

It's unfortunate that a union proposed the idea since that pretty much guarantees the public will have their knee-jerk gently caress unions reaction. :(
Oh the irony. The public doesn't know, but I imagine the union does know, the current cell networks are built by American firms and a crown corp cell network would undoubtedly be Canadian union. How rear end-backwards are we not to nationalize it?

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
Telus/Bell's upgrade to HSPA in 2009 was done by contractors from Huawei. The Rogers GSM network built in 2000 was done by AT&T, back when they were called "Rogers AT&T." I don't know who is building the current LTE networks, but I imagine its foreign contractors as its been in the past. They build the network, then Canadians take over the operations of it. Proudly Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just got a Z10 assigned to me at work, and I can't even find a Blackberry thread here on SA to learn stuff about it. Anyone have one and got some tips or killer apps?
Stop looking for a native back button and god forbid you browse something else in the Hub, because you've just lost your "sliding curve to the right" option to quickly get to email. Turn off WiFi or the battery will be dead before the end of your shift and try to forget what once was... Blackberry Bold & Torch I miss you.