Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I've been with Tekus for five years and currently have 3 GB's, the my fave 5 thing, 15 mins long distance, voicemail+CID, and 250 mins+early evenings and weekends calls, as well as Text+sms for like 67$ a month(got some decent concessions from the loyalty dept. Over the years). What would be the best way to retain a similar plan and get up to 6 GB's? I'm one of the people who got released from my contract by the CRTC ruling, but I'm kind of new to the loyalty dept. Stuff (my mother did it before, she's good at that poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

The only way you could get even close to 6gb at that price would be to do the Saskatchewan/Manitoba Koodo plan workaround.

I'd be willing to pay no more then like $75 and lose a feature or two, but yeah.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holy smokes that's incredible. Guess I'm hitting up a kiosk this weekend.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's definitely no industry collusion and price fixing going on here, definitely not. http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile-plans https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Plans

Hint: The pricing and packages on offer, down to the 'Black Friday extra gigabyte of data", are practically identical, with identical pricing tiers. gently caress this country's telecom oligopoly

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Weird how different our experiences can be, I guess. My speeds with Teksavvy consistently exceed what I pay for, and I never have any problems at any time of day. I have the DCM475 modem, and my building is quite new (2012), probably helps.

My building is oldish, like 1970's construction, and TekSavvy cable thru what normally is Shaw is pretty excellent. My Internet was running terribly for a while, and me and my roommate thought our Internet was poo poo and we're going to switch, but we decided to buy a new router first. Lo and behold, a new router fixed our problem. I wouldn't be surprised that an old rear end modem could have the same effect

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just hope this Pixel I just bought lasts the 4 years my Galaxy S3 did. It's a pretty loving awesome phone if you were wondering.

So for Public Mobile, is it worth it over regular Telus plans, even though that deal is already come and gone? I live in Alberta

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So how's the cell service on Public Mobile?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, that's what I thought. Time to leave Telus I'm the dust

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be fair to Telus about notifying re: date usage, I get an email at 75%, 90%, 100% of my data limit, then get an email at $10 of data overage charges, get data blocked at $50 of overages unless I confirm, then still get notified at $75 after that. Still, the price I pay for 3 GB is stupid, and I can't wait to switch to Public Mobile, even though it's still technically under the umbrella of the big 3.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

Hey, good job, you went through the manufacturer.

I cannot stress... I literally cannot stress how a LOT of people genuinely thought Rogers manufactured all the phones they sell.

I work in household appliance service and oohhh mmaannn this one drives me nuts. Of course LG and Samsung are the absolute worst there too.

:argh: "You guys made these pieces of poo poo, don't you have the parts lying around back somewhere?!"
:rolleyes:"No sir, the parts and warranty are provided by the manufacturer"
:argh: "if you don't get this fixed by 4:37 PM tomorrow, I'm going to drive this hunk of garbage down to your store and throw it through your front window"
:rolleyes: "... Well sir, I wouldn't recommend doing that, although I *totally* appreciate your anger

This job is going to make me into a misanthrope

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Rip local music venue near me that mysteriously burned down when the owner was denied the permit to bulldoze it to the ground due to its age

RIP everyone who lived near that place that just got exposed to asbestos and maybe lead

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is Public Mobile's new 5G 25+25 GB plan for $65 the best deal for 5G right now? I left them years ago because Virgin had some better offers, but I'm stuck on 4G with my Pixel 7 Pro and I'd like to taste the sweet forbidden fruit of 5G on my device.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

How does anyone stand it on a cell provider who doesn't have Telus/Koodo call control? I didn't even know how often spam calls came until I jumped onto Public Mobile (which curiously doesn't have Call Control despite being owned by Telus) and it's a spam call or more every day.

My Pixel 7 Pro has a call screening function that transcribes what they're saying, if anybody actually wants to get a hold of me I'll see them ask for me and then answer it or hang up. Plus it automatically filters out a good 50-70% of the spam

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're probably going to be best served by something like Public Mobile, they have good month to month plans for your use case. As for a phone, honestly like a gen or two old Pixel '_a' is probably your best value, this 6a is a pretty great price right now https://store.google.com/ca/config/pixel_6a

e: I recommend the 6a because it'll last you a good long while performance and security update wise, and you can root them and clear all the crap off pretty easily if you'd like to. I find the Pixel implementations of Android to be the lightest I've seen from the major Android OEM's. But do be aggressive and disable permissions on everything, especially all the Google tracking that you can disable from your Google account security settings.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 14, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tragic_ethos posted:

I live in Edmonton, and found Telus to have a horrendous signal. The local home depot was a deadzone, and ended up being the thing that pushed me back to Rogers. Anecdotal, but it feels like Telus/Koodo service has fallen in past few years.

Same city, and same network (on the Virgin mobile side but same towers) and I've had the same experience. The cell service is seeming to get worse

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Public Mobile came out with $50 for 100gb of 5G and $40 for 60 GB(iirc) of 5G for boxing week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Costco or bust baby, just need a small chest freezer and a vacuum sealer to get the most of it. Only thing I don't buy three are the carrots and celery because the portions are too big for 2 to go through before it goes bad