Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I've been on a grandfathered plan off contract for a long time now because I rarely call or text, and am almost always near wifi so I don't really need more than the 500 Megs/mo. (plus an extra gig for $10 should I overuse). But Bell just announced plans to up a few features to the point that I'm now into contract range of $70 which is insane, but seems now is time to look for a new plan.

I'm not super happy with Bell firing all the TSN folks but gently caress Rogers. Ideally I want good coverage into the mountains (I'm in Calgary) which Bell was best at back when I last searched. I'm currently on an unlocked Galaxy S7. Where can the best deals be had these days?

I'll try the Bell loyalty line as well but honestly they have never offered anything that tempted me off my old ongoing plan so I don't hold out much hope there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Public looks very cool indeed, except for one thing: no international roaming. I suppose I could always buy a SIM when in Euroland I guess. Assuming we can ever travel again of course.

shadow puppet of a posted:

You enter stasis until its Back to School season which is the only time of year the carriers compete.

Yeah that might be the best idea, especially given my older phone and the 5G rollout. First I will take these Public prices to haggle with retention and see what can do I guess.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lmao so Bell dropped my monthly mobility bill by $20 per month and increased my data from 500Meg to 5Gig. Today was the day of plan change and instead they appear to have made it impossible to connect to wireless data FML

Their customer service folks are a dumb as a bag of hammers

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WienerDog posted:

Make sure you restart your phone after plan changes on the "server side".

Do you work for Bell?

Sorry, that came out snarky. Let me try again.

If after restarting my phone 10 times on two different APNs what do

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah it was the first thing I tried, and everything else short of a factory reset. Did not get it sorted and was directly lied to multiply by a Bell customer service rep which is cool. So, time to find a new carrier.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Android Police only recommends the A11 if it's on sale, otherwise the Moto E or G7. Also, it doesn't have NFC, if that's a feature you care about.
It also runs in 32-bit only mode, so that may interfere with some apps.

My partner has a Moto and its worked swimmingly for her, and she now moved it to a Rogers pay as you go and it keeps trucking along.

Meanwhile my unlocked Galaxy S7 has never worked ideally, and was bricked by Bell when they changed networks. Its been now a week with no mobile data and I am pissed.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Corte posted:

Good to know, thanks! Will pre-paid phones work with my existing plan? Found Moto E on sale:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless you are on a prepaid plan no I don't think it will but call them and see

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol Bell lied again. They told me late last week my connectivity issue was being escalated to a higher level tech support, who might be able to put me back on the previously working network. Called today after several days to learn they never put the ticket in!

So...signing up with Fido, who are giving more for less than the "loyalty" program at Bell, except they need to do a loving credit check, but due to the previous major credit service breach and the increased security placed on my report as a result it can't be done online. :v:

I hate all of this so much

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

codo27 posted:

I was looking at the Tesla site for a laugh the other day and they have things on there like "contactless delivery available" and "pay now with card" like it's a loving pizza. But ordering a phone? The credit check is ridiculous.

As far as Bell, my fave story about them was when someone complained about their slow internet so they told them over the phone they were being upgraded to "ultra speed". They were on old ~8mbps DSL, this wasn't that long ago. It was literally just a flat out lie to shut them up. Never trust fourth Reich telecom

Pretty consistent with my experience honestly. Let's see if they call me before my new account gets activated.

Relatedly, :rip: my S7, a perfect form factor really, but this unlocked US POS never worked quite right so lesson learned.

Pixel 4a 5G on its way. We'll see how it compares size wise with my old Galaxy Note 3.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

One of my favourite Canadian cell stories is related to one of my partner's professors from law school getting a $12k bill when her phone was stolen in Toronto while she was abroad.

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/02/24/mom_gets_cell_firms_number.html

don't piss off law profs

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

well, Fido made that easy, only one screw up that needed clearing (they deleted the reimbursement for my activation fee, got that sorted via online chat). Now I get to get Bell to cancel that last bill, joy.

Also have to invest in USB-C. All these brand new micro USB cables :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

codo27 posted:

You're late to the party, man. We use all Lenovo laptops at work and aside from a couple older ones they all charge with USB C, so you can use it with your phone too. Recently got a USB-C hub adapter, mainly for my Surface laptop but I plugged my phone into it and viola, HDMI, USB and VGA on my phone, which is doubly impressive with Samsung's Dex software.

Yeah apparently I am. It explains what that strange sized port on my laptop is I guess.

Bell are trying to argue that they have reasonably accommodated my lack of service by prorating my final bill to the day the service changed over to Fido! So glad I don't have automatic payment set up with them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I've been with Fido for 4 years after dumping Bell, and was just offered 90 gigs for $55/mo. By comparison, I currently have an 11gig plan (which I never get close to using) and pay $51 (56-5 credit month). Of course though, this new offer would nuke my credit.

So I call them and say look, I don't need a gently caress off huge amount of data, and I want to pay less. What your offers are online aren't even competitive with what you offer to new people (no access to 5G being a thing as well) and they responded with vOv

So now I have my eye on the Freedom 50 gigs US-Can for $34 and I'm wondering how dependable their service is, especially through the mountains? Their coverage map shows decent amounts but likely slower connectivity which, fine. They also seem to have very restricted 5G coverage at this point. What have your experiences been like?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

shadow puppet of a posted:

Freedom is no good if people call you about important things. If you just need data and your life is all trivialities it’s fine.

so no then

I mean my life is mostly trivialities but when I get a call I need for it not to drop out. Thanks for the heads up

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

spoof posted:

Public mobile has 50GB for $35/month when on a 90-day plan, which in practice ends up as pooled 150GB/90 days. Plan is at 5G speeds.

how do those subscriptions work? Folks happy with their Public connectivity?

See this to me is a reasonable compromise between data and price. $55 for 90 gigs seems great but I barely scratch my 11 each month so, why just go for more? As an experiment I tried streaming spotify in my car (now that I have one with bluetooth) and that used vanishingly little data.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 4, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

huh, Rogers is willing to go 75 gigs on the 5G system for $50 since I already have shawgers internet and tv. That's very tempting.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

huh, Rogers is willing to go 75 gigs on the 5G system for $50 since I already have shawgers internet and tv. That's very tempting.

lol and will offer a 100 Gig Infinite plan for $50/month by switching over from Fido. The infinite runs at up to 1gig vs that 75 gig plan that is throttled at 250 MB.

Fido also has 50 Gig for $45 but that public plan beats it fairly clearly

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) I've been quite happy since switching in 2016. Service is good for basically anywhere that isn't a Loblaws Faraday cage of a supermarket.

2.) Why go for more?
- YouTube on the bus/at work,
- not caring about my cap if I'm uploading photos to the cloud or a video to YouTube/discord,
- streaming at the laundromat
- using the higher quality bitrates for music/video

Basically the ability to stream/upload video anywhere outside the home without worrying about going over

Yeah I hadn't thought about the bitrate issue with music. The one thing my Spotify experiment showed was the quality of music was a bit off (although their ads were nice and clear lol)

Hmm.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

do you all have thoughts on 5G speeds of 250 MB vs 1 Gig? Or is this like the old argument of "any framerate over 60/sec is wasted since that's all your eye can perceive"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mediaphage posted:

i think you have to decide for yourself if that's a use case you need. do you have critical work you're using this for (probably not if you're looking at pm)? if not, i personally don't think it's a big deal. even with big buckets how often are you going to be downloading massive massive files on your personal phone? i know some android users do but i really think it's a niche case

Thanks you two. Whereas I can see instances where I *might* need to download or upload massive files at speed white tethering a laptop, realistically that will be done while wired or on wifi.

I appreciate the threads input on this decision, you have helped me save a few bucks and get much more from my phone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks you two. Whereas I can see instances where I *might* need to download or upload massive files at speed white tethering a laptop, realistically that will be done while wired or on wifi.

I appreciate the threads input on this decision, you have helped me save a few bucks and get much more from my phone!

fwiw, I've decided to go with a deal with Rogers through a preferred program work has with them, with 100 Gigs data at 5G, unlimited thereafter, unlimited talk and text to Canada and US, international texts too, US roaming included as well. That alone will save $12/day when traveling in the US, and with my family still in the States that will save a fair bit on those calls. All this for a couple bucks a month less than what I am currently paying on Fido for 11 Gigs on a (theoretically at least) slower network, so I think is an improvement in what I am getting for what I am paying. I hate giving Rogers money but I was already giving Rogers money, and there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

I appreciated all the recommendations for Public but there were a lot of concerns online about connectivity while roaming, and whereas I don't travel as much as I did pre COVID, when I do I need connection. But if those reviews were from the pre Telus times then perhaps I'll reconsider down the road since I won't be on a contract.

(They really wanted me to upgrade my pixel since the new ones don't need a SIM card but my 4 5G is still working like a champ.)