Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I have a flip phone through Koodoo with an awesome tip calculator and it's all I've ever used. But with the Galaxy S3 finally coming out I plan on picking it up on either a contract or some sort of tab.

I'm interested in Wind but I've been informed that if I go through Wind, I'd only get the S3 model with 3G capability.... I'm not sure if I need more than 3G capability? Hell I barely know what 3G and 4G LTE is.

I'm pretty much local to Calgary 95% of the time, but if I do travel I wouldn't mind being able to take the phone without having to fear about some massive roaming/data charge on my bill... if I went with Wind, can someone give me an idea how bad the Rogers roaming charges would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

less than three posted:

If you set your phone to disable data roaming, the amount you save on WIND easily surpasses the few roaming calls/texts you send. I'm paying $40 instead of $80 now, and do like $1/mo roaming in Vancouver.

Thanks for the breakdown.

So the $1/mo roaming you do in Vancouver, is that because you hit a dead spot and it switches to the Rogers network?

OilSlick posted:

The phone is technically LTE, it's just that WIND doesn't have LTE yet so it's only 3G. I'm not sure how fast WIND's 3G is, but given how many goons are on it I'm sure it's not a huge deal.

Seeing as I don't even know the speed differences, I'm sure you're right that 3G will be more than enough, especially since I'm either at home or at work on wifi the majority of the time, but there are two different models of the S3 being released in Canada and the model Wind is releasing won't have LTE capability (according to wiki anyways):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III#Model_variants