Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

You mean the... "c" word? It's a pretty dirty word here in Canada.

We even have a bureau named after it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public Mobile

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I assume you could always sign up for the regular 2GB plan and then switch out for the 4GB if they ever re-introduce it?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had to deal with a hosed up interac transfer a few months ago and the CIBC people were far more helpful than TD. Idk.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Get a RoamMobility SIM if yours is unlocked.

Did this on the long weekend for a trip to Chicago. Way better than the travel add ons Telus has.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

And I think the card lasts for about a year, too, right? Do you get a slightly better price if you go back to the States within that time? I've used Roam for trips there too but never so frequent that I could make use of those offers and reminders they always sent me afterwards.

Literally the first time I've used Roam, so I dunno. I'll have to see next year which is likely the earliest I'll be heading back stateside.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like low speed data is now the new thing after Public came out with their stupid 3G plans: https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/01/lucky-mobile-bell-canada-prepaid-wireless-carrier/

Bell's getting into the act.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Frank Dillinger posted:

There’s nothing little about lucky, it’s a bell flanker brand.

:thejoke:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
25% (3,300) Shaw folks taking the buyout https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/02/15/3300-shaw-employees-accept-voluntary-buyout-package.html

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dang I thought there was some good new deal to be had.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

We are talking deals, do try to keep up

Ok, phone deal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
LOL Canadian telecoms are trash
https://twitter.com/tefficient/status/1080485423925866497

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

I'm on the $60 for 10GB with Virgin and probably should have stayed with the $30 for 1GB or whatever I had before because I rarely use more than a gig. Although it's pretty nice when I'm traveling.

That said, I was almost over for the month on my home internet, so I was using cell data to watch Twitch late in the evening of December 30th. And somehow that resulted in 8GB used on my January. I guess I should figure out when they start counting for the month, because that seems kinda weird and could be expensive.

It's hosed you have a limit on your home internet tbh.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public launched their new branding and every one of their plans for ON are 3G speed only lol.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tried to go to CellPhoneMan.ca and it just sits there flashing some cartoon of a dude.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tried later at work on a desktop, loaded ok. You pay him $100 and he gets you one of the Koodo plans he lists.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cool cool cool

https://twitter.com/ltribe/status/1180155694240223234

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So how on earth does Fido advertise their data as being time based rather than transfer based?! Like what does "an extra 4 hours of data a month" mean? It makes zero sense.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

I can hit my data limit pretty easily if I don't watch just by strolling through Twitter or whatever on a daily basis.
So fix that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

St_Ides posted:

Are there any decent deals going on right now? I moved back from the US and I'm currently on a Google fi plan.

I've been using Fongo for my ported Canadian number for a couple of years now, but now that I actually live here, it's reliability is insufficient.
That's such a vague question that the answer is "maybe?"

It's entirely dependent on what you're after.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is a decent summary of the current state; https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/best-cell-phone-plans

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's all automated and taken care of on the new carrier's end.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nitr0 posted:

Oh no, guess those billions would have to go to other companies and the 5000 people that get laid off can go to the new competitors.

Darn what a shame oh gee oh golly.

"We have these random, secret flash sales over long weekends, what more do you want from us?!"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
...and the ads have started

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

Unless you're porting to Public Mobile and have plug in the account info into PM's site yourself, but even then it's really hard to gently caress up.

Yeah I phrased it badly, I meant you don't have to go to your old carrier to do anything, you give the IMEI and account # to the new one and they do a pull.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'm back in the arms of Big Red thanks to a work-related offer. Public Mobile was good while it lasted but for and extra six bucks a month for more data and better calling options across Canada and the US I ain't complaining.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love how after switching to Rogers I'm getting spam texts outta nowhere. :argh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's not fine at all. All their old plans, Lomé yhe one I had until recently, were full LTE speeds until they decided to choke new plans to slower speeds. It's bullshit.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got Rogers to fix up my account so visual voicemail finally works. It's pretty slick. Wouldn't pay extra for it though lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Any good recommendations for a cheap non-smart phone for my mom to take with her in the car? She recently bought some LG monstrosity from Koodo and returned it because it was way more tech than she actually needs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Seeking out and paying for a 416 number is the most pathetically on brand Toronto thing ever
Having a 416 cell was a big deal for some people in the early 2000s.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ltedata.apn is what mine says.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What are the prepaid options in Toronto?
Do you need LTE speed or not?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public Mobile. They're on Telus towers so coverage is great.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/plans/35for1GB-3Gspeed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha like they care about the low end brands.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said the firms must offer wholesale wireless access to so-called Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs), smaller outfits that can then resell the capacity at reduced retail prices and pass on the savings to consumers.

The ruling appeared to be a victory for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government, which in March 2020 ordered the firms to bring down cellphone bills by 25% or face the consequences.

But in a concession to the majors, the CRTC said only MVNOs with infrastructure of their own would be eligible. The access agreements will expire after seven years.

The big three - BCE Inc, Telus Corp, and Rogers Communications Inc - complain that the smaller MVNOs do not help build the expensive infrastructure needed to ensure service in what is the world’s second largest nation.

No one was immediately available for comment at the three firms, which together control 89.2% of telecoms subscribers and 90.7% of the revenue. They argue Ottawa is working with outdated information and insist their prices are competitive.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dave Wireless's not here man

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was it $45* ?

*latest trend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's just slower, they call it "3G speed" because it's the only thing a regular consumer would understand.