Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wind and Mobilicity are not the exactly same. Sure they used the same bands and so are compatible phone-wise, but Mobilicity usually has more generous plans, including promotional plans that are sometimes (but increasingly rarely) lifetime rather limited term, whereas Wind's tab basically pays for your phone if you stay with them for 3 years. Also Mobilicity offers increasingly generous discounts on your plan if you pay for multiple months (in advance?), which is roughly comparable to Wind's tab but locks you in for up to a year at a time. If you do pay for a year you can get unlimited everything for $30-35 right now, compared to $40 for Wind. However given that Mobilicity doesn't tend to discount all of their phones regularly it might be wiser to get a phone from Wind first and switch over if you don't like the service.

Mobilicity's also :canada:-owned and so is for now safe from whatever fuckery Ottawa chooses to do with foreign ownership regulations. They use completely different towers so you may get crap reception with one but not the other depending on where you live. Both use higher frequencies than the big 3 and hence tend to suck indoors, although I've found I can use both Mobilicity and Rogers at some points in the subway in Toronto (Bloor and St. Clair station platforms, which I think are shallower than most stops).

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm sure you'll all be sad to know that Rogers' profits have slumped as they are signing up record numbers of victims customers with subsidized smartphones. I guess I'm supposed to feel sorry for them because there's no way they'll make up those subsidies within a year of their ridiculous $60/month+ plans.

quote:

It [Rogers] estimates about 60 per cent of its subscriber base is now on smartphones, but chief financial officer Bill Linton, who retires Wednesday, said the newest subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100, opting for cheaper plans.

quote:

chief financial officer Bill Linton, who retires Wednesday, said the newest subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100, opting for cheaper plans.

quote:

the newest subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100, opting for cheaper plans.

quote:

subscribers are less willing to pay monthly fees that exceed $100

No loving poo poo!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

iLikeMidgets posted:

Speakout is really good if you're not a heavy user. My wife and I are pretty much together 24/7 and her Speakout phone is hardly used. We loaded it up with $25 and haven't had to top it in 6 months.

Just keep in mind there's a $1.25 911 charge per month so if you make a short call once a week or so you might end up paying as much for the 911 fee as your calling. That's still less than half of Rogers' bullshit, oughta-be-illegal GRRF.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

EKDS5k posted:

So I called Mobilicity and asked about their $30 thing, as I decided that the extra $3 would be worth having the roaming minutes if nothing else. The rep told me that I could actually keep my half off promotion, and that by switching to the new $45 plan, I would get everything I had already, plus 30 minutes of roaming, for $22.50, which is $5 less per month than what I was paying. gently caress yeah.

Aren't their new promotion plans only for a year though? It's a bit of a gamble to switch if you're on a slightly less attractive lifetime plan.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In case anyone missed it, Mobilicity's back to school plans ($25 unlimited voice+text+data, $35 adds voice+unlimited North American+global text) are back and the Galaxy Nexus is down to $300. The BTS plans are lifetime, not limited to 12 months.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

iLikeMidgets posted:

I have a retentions plan with Rogers.I have about 14 months left on a three year contract. I haven't done a hardware upgrade since 2006/07.

Why/how did you get a retentions plan with a 3 year contract without getting a new phone in the first place?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just buy a phone and try it, you can return them within something like a week if you only use them to test signal strength. Hell, get one from Wind too to compare.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love how the 3G is 3x faster and better ping than LTE.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

She's switching from Mobilicity which has just been utterly useless. They keep blaming everything but their lovely network for her lack of reception everywhere in downtown Toronto.

I get good reception everywhere in downtown Toronto :confused:. Voice quality is a different matter.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wind mobile is apparently going up for sale soon. This sounds like potentially good news to me, as long as Robellus don't get their dirty hands on it. It seems unlikely that they would, even as toothless as the CRTC is right now. Isn't more spectrum going up for auction soon?

At the worst, it seems likely that Wind iwll be sold to some other foreign backers and nothing will change. There's also a chance that Mobilicity's owners could buy it up. I could see a merger of the two being a good thing - an expanded network and lower costs after redundancies are removed. If the two brands remain separate, there's a chance they could raise prices and stop competing, but that seems unlikely with Robellus' discount brands around. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Outdoors it's fine, but indoors, where we live, where she works, everywhere we go it's brutal. She's tried it with both a Nokia e73 and Nexus 4.

I can see some people complaining about Nexus 4 reception online, but I can't really judge whether it's the phone's fault. Most people don't seem to have trouble and I haven't really noticed the savvier people on SA complain.

I get some reception indoors and at underground subway stations (in the middle of the Bloor station platform, for example). I probably get worse signal than I used to with Rogers but it still usually works if I'm close to a window.

Otherwise, Mobilicity/Wind only have high frequency parts of the spectrum now, and they're more easily absorbed by anything, so they're going to have worse reception deep inside buildings regardless of what phone you use. More towers can only help so much if there's several metres of concrete between you and the nearest tower, so it's not really an issue with the network as much as MobiWind not having any low frequency parts of the spectrum. Maybe one day they will.

ZShakespeare posted:

I think it's more likely that Rogers, Bell, or Telus rolls in with a dump truck full of burlap sacks with dollar signs on them just so that they can return to regular business and not have to offer discount plans to compete. I'd expect Mobilicity to follow suit too. After Orascom I'd be surprised if any foreign telecom would be crazy enough to invest in this market.

The quotes in the articles I read claimed that Rogers isn't interested. They have dump trucks full of money but they're probably saving some for the next spectrum auction and I hope/pray the CRTC would actually deny their bid to buy Wind if it ever came to that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shofixti posted:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/telus-in-talks-to-buy-mobilicity-as-wireless-upstarts-seek-buyers/article11100134/

Welp. Lots of people predicted this would happen when those 3 companies launched, but I was naively optimistic and hoped that Canada would lose its status as mobile shithole of the world. It was a good run while it lasted.

gently caress this poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is the worst. gently caress the useless failures at the CRTC.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

The article says it hasn't been approved by the CRTC (or the Competition Bureau, or Industry Canada, or shareholders/debtholders) yet...

Regardless, it means Mobilicity's brass want out. Maybe shareholders don't; we'll see. But I can't see how this could possibly end well. Maybe the CRTC will get up off its rear end and reserve more of the new spectrum for Wind/Mobilicity, but if they don't have the money to pay for it then even that fantasy is a moot point.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was saying gently caress the CRTC for letting it get to this point and failing miserably at encouraging competition.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would be much more excited if Mobilicity were to buy Wind than the other way around.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BGrifter posted:

At this point I just want someone in BC to start offering coverage outside of the lower mainland. Mobilicity or Wind I don't care which.

I was pretty drat thrilled to get unlimited data traveling in Vancouver. It would have been nice to have the same in Victoria too. Good for people travelling between Vancouver and Victoria too, although drat it takes a while to get between ferry terminals and downtown.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Michael Geist has a quick summary of the report here. The full report is here Basically lower tier wireless/internet service is not that expensive, but mid- and high-level services are comparable to and in some cases even more expensive than in the US, not to mention every other country in the sample except maybe Japan (when adjusted for PPP).

Right now I pay $22 for unlimited voice/text/data from Mobilicity in Toronto. Wind has comparable deals at around $30. Meanwhile, Rogers is advertising similar service for 60 drat dollars a month, and only with 500mb data. Phone subsidies come nowhere near making up the difference. Of course if you're not in one of the cities covered by Wind/Mobilicity or a decent regional carrier like SaskTel you are going to be completely boned.

I guess it's also true that Telus tends to have better deals for BC than they do in Ontario, if the posts I see on redflagdeals are accurate.

Oh, they also included Public Mobile, which is going to bring down the low-end service basket even more.

The important data:

code:
Canada U.S. U.K. France Australia Japan
Wireline Service
Level 1 (low-volume use) $ 35.33 $ 45.88 $ 31.68 $ 33.53 $ 46.30 $ 30.45
Level 2 (average use) $ 55.77 $ 70.85 $ 42.35 $ 51.93 $ 77.05 $ 61.70
Level 3 (high-volume use) $ 61.53 $ 76.08 $ 61.35 $ 55.03 $ 96.00 $ 97.17

Wireless Service
Level 1 (low-volume use) $ 30.71 $ 33.08 $ 21.97 $ 20.24 $ 21.82 $ 28.09
Level 2 (average use) $ 44.86 $ 76.14 $ 38.85 $ 44.08 $ 35.04 $ 44.36
Level 3 (high-volume use) $ 93.59 $ 145.79 $ 63.52 $ 58.90 $ 49.54 $ 125.24
Wow, are land lines ever expensive. It's remarkable that people still use them. Meanwhile, it seems like only the PPP adjustment keeps Canada competitive, and I guess some remarkable price gouging in some American cities.

Also of note:

code:
Table 3
2013 Canadian Mobile Wireless Service Rates
Incumbents versus New Entrants

Baskets Vancouver Toronto Montreal Average

Level 1 Basket (150 min/month)
Incumbents $ 30.38 $ 32.05 $ 30.65 $ 31.03
New Entrants $ 22.09 $ 23.72 $ 29.58 $ 25.13
Percentage Differential -27% -26% -4% -19%

Level 2 Basket (450 min and 300 text per month)
Incumbents $ 44.41 $ 44.41 $ 44.68 $ 44.50
New Entrants $ 38.10 $ 37.07 $ 40.18 $ 38.45
Percentage Differential -14% -17% -10% -14%

Level 3 Basket (1200 min, 300 text and 1GB data per month)
Incumbents $ 95.03 $ 94.36 $ 94.63 $ 94.67
New Entrants $ 53.30 $ 50.53 $ 69.95 $ 57.93
Percentage Differential -44% -46% -26% -39%

Simple unweighted averages used in all cases.
Like you might have suspected, the price drops in the high usage basket have everything to do with new entrants and nothing to do with the incumbents. They're just biding their time waiting for Wind/Mobilicity to fail.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 7, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Telus says their new two-year plans are better value despite higher prices, no joke.

Here is their homework:

quote:

Multiple subscribers:
NEW 2-YEAR PRICING: 2 iPhone 5 subscribers who take 2GB of data to share (1 GB each) will pay $77.50 each/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 2-year term - $155
CURRENT PRICING: $ 80/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 3-year term - $160

Single Subscriber:
NEW 2-YEAR PRICING: A new iPhone 5 customer who takes 1GB of data will pay $85/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 2-year term.
CURRENT PRICING: $ 80/month for unlimited nationwide calling on a 3-year term.

Source: Telus Corp.

Yes. Their own calculations show that a single subscriber pays an extra $120 over two years but it's a good deal because uhh something about new CRTC rules for 'bill shock' aka price gouging for roaming, or something. Yeah I don't know.

Also, you know, they're 85 goddamn dollars per month. My mobilicity plan will cost under 40 spreading the ~$360 cost of a Nexus 4 over 48 months.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Mohamed said if Verizon were to enter Canada’s wireless market, large urban markets would benefit more than other markets.

Thanks for clearing up why we should support Verizon's entry into Canada!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Too bad he doesn't have the balls to say that rural consumers would suffer from Verizon's entry, just that they would benefit less.

Why this is a bad thing I don't know.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So... what is the unclear thing that they want clarified?

Also presenting the Canadian consumer:

gehedan3 posted:

I don't understand all the complaining about being gouged. I have a smartphone with 1 of the Big 3. I pay $56.90 taxes all in with 250 minutes and free time after 6pm and weekends with VM, caller ID , 10 fav. numbers (no time or LD charges in Canada). You think that's a lot? you'll get a better deal with Verizon? I doubt it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like how there's a big banner saying "What Canadians are saying" with a picture of an attractive lady texting but there's no actual content or links before it transitions to the "What's Being Said" section. So I guess the conclusion is that Canadians are saying jack poo poo and just keep texting their friends about whatever*??

*limited to 100 texts per month; subsequent texts charged at a rate of 25 cents. International charges apply for texts send outside local calling area.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I once talked my way into Mobilicity not giving me a free SIM card at all. Jerks.

Actually they should probably give me a free replacement, because it never signs on to Mobilicity automatically when I reboot my phone and seems to make network searches take forever.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canadians - connected like never before. Makes you just want to run out and sign a wireless contract right now.

Also, apparently Canadians are pretty much all fit, attractive people aged 18-40.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What are the alternatives to allowing Verizon to enter? Let the big 3 gobble up the remaining spectrum and/or buy up Mobilicity/Wind?

I mean, I would love for the federal government to step in, buy up Mobilicity/Wind, claim the remaining spectrum for themselves and set up a nationalized, non-profit, low-cost carrier with nation-wide service, but that is clearly not going to be an option here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paccione posted:

So I have the original HTC desire. I want to now upgrade it, and all the phones are crazy expensive to buy out right at the stores. How is the Nexus 4? I haven't been following phone technology at all, but I'm having to delete more and more apps because they are getting too big for my phone now. The nexus is the cheapest one I found, but is a one one right around the corner?

There's always a new sexy phone coming out soon. Nexus phones are never a bad choice since they're sold unlocked, have decent hardware and the fastest software upgrades. It might not be the best time to buy one at retail ($300 for the 8gb) but I keep seeing threads on redflagdeals with $200 deals involving gift cards from virgin or some nonsense like that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So now that the Nexus 4 has dropped to $200/$250 (8/16gb) from Google, kijiji is of course flooded with people trying to sell BNIB FACTORY SEALED!!!! Nexus 4's for $300+ and Galaxy Nexus for $200-250. Yeah right.

Still, it's a pretty sweet deal and now there's pretty much no reason to sign up for a contract to get a free phone unless you are stuck using a carrier that gives no bring-your-own handset discount.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

Interesting move by Google. Doesn't this essentially screw Samsung entirely? Why would one buy a GS4 or whatever now? Arguably I'm sure they might be better than a Nexus 4 in a few aspects, but 3x the price better?

It seems likely that they're clearing out stock for a new Nexus phone, so this might not last long.

I bet some people will still be tempted by FREE PHONES*, or concerned about getting a phone shipped from the US. Actually, my main problem was that Google shipped the phone with UPS and they left the loving box in plain sight in front of my apartment door without even notifying me that it had been delivered.

* with limited 2-year contract. But even then, an SGS4 is what, $150-200 on most carriers? It sure does seem like a terrible idea to buy one now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mediaphage posted:

In part. If you're going to be paying a similar amount of money for your plan, though, I'd probably get a carrier One or GS4 or something over a Nexus 4, too, since the initial out of pocket is the same.

Rogers is giving 10% off for bringing your own phone on most of their plans, and $20 off their (ridiculously overpriced) "Share Ready" plans. Considering you're likely to be paying at least $45/month with a smartphone on Rogers, that's a minimum of a $110 premium over a 2-year contract.

the talent deficit posted:

Most people I know aren't even aware you can get cel service off contract. $200 for a Nexus 4 or $200 for a Galaxy 4.

Most people I know are on Wind or Mobilicity with Nexus devices, but then most people I know are poor grad students living near downtown Toronto where cell coverage is good across basically every network.

Godinster posted:

Outside of forums like this, the vast majority of people I talk to have no idea what a Nexus is. They either want a "Galaxy" or an iPhone, generally anything else doesn't even enter into consideration.

Well, it's a huge thread on redflagdeals, but then most people don't read RFD or else these kinds of deals would never last. Speaking of which, the 8GB N4 keeps going out of stock. Hopefully it comes back or the many scammers on kijiji get bored and start selling off their stock for reasonable prices.

Aphrodite posted:

Probably not. Isn't Nexus penetration really low? Most people don't know they exist beyond another phone on display at Rogers/Bell/etc. Then you have people who have no idea about carrier locking and all that, who will just see it as a $200 phone when the Galaxy is also $200.

I would wager most users care more about the fancy phone than the overall price of their contract too.

(Also the Nexus 4 kind of sucks.)

Is Nexus penetration low? Many carriers sell it, although some at hilarious markups compared to the play store.

(Also it has fantastic hardware for $300, let alone $200, so who cares if it doesn't have a 40MP camera or an SD card slot?)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Now Verizon's CEO is claiming they're not interested in the Canadian market.

It's hard to know what to believe at this stage, but the most hilarious result in this spectrum auction would be Robellus cleaning everything up as Wind/Mobilicity struggle with their debt/finding a new buyer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, I guess that's not bad news, but if it happens, I sure hope WIND honours existing Mobilicity plans. I don't want to lose my $22/month lifetime unlimited plan.

Ideally Wind & Mobilicity would merge and buy up as much of the new spectrum as possible at the next auction. But I'm more than a little concerned that the last I heard, Wind was struggling too and its owners were looking to sell it off, with the only potential buyers so far being Verizon and some equity firm partnering with motherfucking Rogers (do NOT let this poo poo happen).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:lol: http://canada.ca/morechoices

Who will win the race to be the most shameless profiteer in this sham of a wireless auction? Tune in later to find out!

Ironically, I first saw the ad for that site on a weather app on my phone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

leidend posted:

I was gonna pick up my wife late tonight downtown but oh wells. Good thing they took out all the payphones because only drug dealers still used them.

Wouldn't that be useful for, uh, catching drug dealers, or am I taking The Wire too seriously?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's great but sad and funny that Mobilicity's US roaming rates on T-Mobile/ATT are cheaper (10c per outgoing text/call minute, gently caress data) than T-Mobile's own prepaid rates.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

I guess, but I couldn't be happier with T-Mobile's $3 a day plan for unlimited calling/texting and data (the first 200MB or so of which are HSPA, then it switches to Edge).

That sounds like it could be useful. Can you sign up for it each day through your phone and pay through your existing prepaid credit?

Speaking of which, I needed another cheap AWS phone and picked up a Lumia 521 in the US ($99 at Best Buy). There have been mixed reports of success with getting it unlocked through cellunlocker.net, and it's not cheap anyways ($35). Are there any sketchy cell stores in the GTA that could offer a better deal. The other alternative I have is to meet T-Mobile's requirements, which are basically to put $50.01 in credit on it. I don't go to the US that often and the 90 day expiry on minutes is annoying but I guess for $10 every 3 months to prevent expiry that's not so terrible...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Telus' bid to buy Mobilicity was rejected, again.

Christ, would T-Mobile please buy Mobilicity? This poo poo is ridiculous. And despite their ridiculously cheap plans, Mobilicity is losing 5,200 subscribers per month, down below 200,000.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Squibbles posted:

I noticed my Nexus 5 tracking says it's coming from the US via UPS. I sure hope UPS isn't going to hit me with their crazy brokerage fees :ohdear:

They won't, but they will leave it on your doorstep without notifying you if you're not at home.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lags posted:

Will they? I hate that - Amazon stuff does this too. Why would I want my 500$ shipment of electronics left on a bloody doorstep for any opportunist to see?

Yep. When UPS delivered my N4, they entered the building without buzzing me and dropped it off right in front of my apartment door without any notification. Luckily nobody stole it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I took apart my Nexus S after it died and it's pretty easy to replace the entire screen/digitizer assembly at once. The only thing I messed up was ripping a cable connected to the camera (but who cares, it's so lovely anyways).

If you're anywhere near Toronto, I have a working screen & digitizer (presumably the motherboard is toast). Otherwise, there may be some available on kijiji/craiglist. Keep in mind that spending more than, say $40 or so to try to fix it is a waste - you'll probably need to get a new phone soon enough.