Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ugh. Anyone know much about using (unlocked) Canadian phones in the US?

I have to deal with three guys wanting to buy pay-as-you-go cards there. I'm pretty sure the Rogers Samsung S2 LTE will only operate on AT&T.

The Rogers Samsung S3 will probably run on anything. I can't find a good pay-as-you-go + data plan though.

The one I'm not clear on at all is a Virgin iPhone 4. Googling it brings up lots of people trying to use Virgin USA phones in Canada, but not vice-versa.

edit: looks like Verizon will work. All good.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks. My head was filled to capacity with frequencies and acronyms and unlocking issues.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I wouldn't give up yet. When I've needed it most, "Canada's Most Reliable Network*"'s services have poo poo the bed on me for a few hours too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I got an order in for a Nexus 4 for my girlfriend during the December 3rd window. It finally shipped on Tuesday (from Kentucky) and is being delivered tomorrow. Figured I'd say something in case other Canadians are suffering long waits.

edit:

She switched to Mobilicity and has been suffering with a terrible Nokia e73 borrowed from a friend all this time. Before that she was on a 3g iPhone. Can't wait to see how she likes a modern Android phone.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 17, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lexicon posted:

Is it true that you can switch to Fido from Rogers for less than the usual early-termination-fee? Even from a business account?

Once-a-lifetime they'll waive the fees if you've served at least a year of your contract. I did it once.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I went from Fido to Rogers and it wasn't any big deal. They just made it absolutely clear they'd never do it for me again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Girlfriend is about to pull the trigger on the $45/mth plan here:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/monthly2.html?itcid=LP:143

She's switching from Mobilicity which has just been utterly useless. They keep blaming everything but their lovely network for her lack of reception everywhere in downtown Toronto.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

eXXon posted:

I get good reception everywhere in downtown Toronto :confused:. Voice quality is a different matter.
Outdoors it's fine, but indoors, where we live, where she works, everywhere we go it's brutal. She's tried it with both a Nokia e73 and Nexus 4.

I can see some people complaining about Nexus 4 reception online, but I can't really judge whether it's the phone's fault. Most people don't seem to have trouble and I haven't really noticed the savvier people on SA complain.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So... I'm bad with money and confrontation, basically Rogers' ideal customer. I'm paying $68/mth including tax for the 6 GB bundle and no add-ons. (200 or so minutes, My10, SMS, free evenings; no voicemail or call display).

I've recently set up a budget and plan to get out of debt, but I'm paying way too much for my phone. Basically I need to get retentions to offer me a discount. I've been off a three-year contract for around half a year. I own my phone outright (unfortunately I'm pretty sure it only operates on Rogers... S2 LTE)

Should I basically tell them I'm switching to Wind or Mobilicity? Unfortunately rates on Bell and Telus don't seem any better than Rogers. I only need a gig of data, and hardly use phone minutes. 2 gigs would be nice.

Or should I honestly just tell them I need to cancel/reduce it because I can't afford to pay their rate?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Durrrrrr yeah it probably would work on Fido. Although annoyingly even though I paid full price for my phone, it came locked to Rogers. I can probably fix that on my own as it's Android.

And yeah, the $50 plan looks good enough.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That Virgin silver plan looks perfect. And honestly, I can suck up not using data for a few months. That's a really cool feature, and the pricing isn't awful (at least compared to Canada's other offerings).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Turns out I'm still on contract, caused by switching to 6 GB whenever that was offered. Lovely. First tried to tell me that the phone I bought full price caused it, so maybe I shouldn't have even believed her.

I'm now at $50/mth for 1 GB and all the add-ons I could use. I've been missing call display and voice mail.

Virgin would have realistically been $45/mth + $100 cancelation. The cancelation fee isn't even terrible, but I really do use around 800 MB data on average. Hopefully my company is going to pay my cell bill soon anyway.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Heh, made when Digg was a big deal and not Reddit.

Yet still loving terrifying. Companies like HBO & ESPN are still trying it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Stupid question:

How do I go about retaining my 416 number when switching from Rogers to WIND? I've done my research and want to go with WIND but I know they'll tell me whatever I want to hear to get me to sign the contract and I don't trust Rogers as far as I can spit.

Do I go to WIND boutique and sign first, then come home and call Rogers to pay my 8 month cancellation fee? I assume the Rogers cancellation only takes place at the end of my monthly billing cycle, correct?

Thanks in advance :)
Have you tried calling Rogers to see if they'll match what you'll be getting with Wind?

Having used Wind ... the network service is atrocious compared to Rogers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Technically I didn't have the same amount of data, but I got as much as I needed by calling Rogers, for within $5-10 what I would have been paying on Wind. The extra $10 is fine for actually being able to use my phone at home downtown and at my relatively remote office. Both are apparently dead to AWS signals.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Only vaguely "cellular" related, but is the well of 416 numbers completely dry, or do they become available from time to time? I imagine it's like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to get a 212 number.
There always seem to be a bunch available, but despite whatever the holding period is, be prepared for piles of wrong numbers and texts, and the occasional collections call.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't iPhones work on all the networks now? I vaguely recall iPhone 4 on Virigin being the only one that was "unique".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I paid $5 for some little cellphone shack to cut down my card with a punch made for that purpose ... then the guy mysteriously offered $100 for my old broken Galaxy S2 LTE. I wiped it and did it, and was upfront with the problems it had.

edit: people's personal preferences are funny. That set up would drive me crazy. App Store as one of the main icons? I'd have my most-used apps not in folders, and just a couple of folders of stuff I need once a day. Android has the app drawer for everything else.

edit2: mine looks like this:

Also a second page with widgets for my Evernote stuff, calendar, and podcast controls.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 22, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Modern art's enjoyment is infinitely increased just by going with friends to react to it, and discuss it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My girlfriend's Mobilicity I think is even worse than Wind. She can only deal with it because she can steal my (Rogers) phone if necessary. I would love to dump Rogers, but the alternatives are useless where I need them the most .

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I'm sure it wouldn't take them 30 days to shut off my line if I, say, stopped paying them.
They're actually very slow to cut people off that don't pay, to the point where they'll charge months of interest before trying to get in touch.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been on Freedom for years now and just can't complain at all. A couple Black Fridays ago a coworker told me to give them a call and they lowered my bill to a $30/mth loyalty plan. Since then they've arbitrarily boosted my data to 75 GB/mth and added Canada-wide roaming. My loyalty plan still counts as a $50/mth one for stuff like 5G access.

As such I'm afraid to get a new phone on a tab loving it up, and buy outright when I need/want a new one. The one weird thing was that my OnePlus 12 didn't recognise 5G on Freedom, but it works perfectly after using an app to manually set it. (I checked to make sure the phone hardware supported Freedom's band first.)

Also really in love with the eSim feature on modern unlocked phones. $12 for 30 GB data in the USA for a month. Cheaper when I visit Greece later this year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I believe it. I never really had coverage issues in Toronto (some basements were rough) but occasionally did outside the city. I considered that a feature though, I just don't want to be reachable 24/7 especially when I'm away. But I just haven't had any coverage problem at all in around two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have a ridiculously good $30/mth Freedom plan, but I finally ponied up an extra $4 just for visual voicemail. My anxiety thanks me. Still annoying it's extra.