Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All companies are terrible, but I am seriously thinking about ditching Rogers for one of the others now that I'm finally month to month. Whoever will get me the best iPhone plan I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hahahah loving Rogers

You can opt out of "promotion" SMS messages, but I just got a text message:

"Rogers svc msg: Loyalty has its benefits like a new smartfone for $0 when you sign up for a new term! Enjoy exclusive savings on an upgrade with our thanks. Call 1 877 508-1788 today for details. Conditions apply."

So I am loving steamed. I call 611 and spent five minutes trying to find the right menu that took me to the most appropriate representative before just hitting zero. The (admittedly nice and helpful) girl I got spent 10 minutes trying to figure out some way to figure out why I received this. Eventually she saw that there are certain "exemptions" to what you unsubscribe from, and apparently this is like "account information" as opposed to "marketing"

Bull. loving. poo poo.

Seriously, I don't know why I'm getting so mad over such a small thing. It's so inconsequential -- just a single text message -- but I am finding that I'm just incredibly livid over this.

e: I feel like I need to append that I was incredibly polite and friendly to the CS rep -- they're just doing their job; lovely text messages in no way their fault.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I bitched about it on Twitter and their help twitter account replied asking me if I tried https://your.rogers.com/newsletter/opt_out.asp yet, which I hadn't. I filled it out but somehow I sincerely doubt that it will make any difference and I'll get another text message next month.

But that did make me wonder why they have two separate opt-out forms. Why don't they put that under the marketing permissions tab of your account on their website? Why would this be any different from unsubscribing on that retarded three-checkbox twisted-logic form I posted about earlier.

(Because their website is a giant piece of poo poo, that's why)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have three lines; mine, and two are my parents'. Until now my dad just had a crappy sony ericsson feature phone, but someone gave him a Samsung android something-or-other. He's planning to get it unlocked and hopefully it'll work on the Rogers network. I'll check whether that's legit or not, but I'm working on the assumption that he can get this part done.

He has no data on his plan, never has. He doesn't want to use the phone to browse or anything; just the occasional text message. Is there any way I can call Rogers and ask them to block all data on his line so he doesn't incur any weird charges, or will it just plain not allow him to browse or otherwise use the internet without a data plan?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh, maybe I'll just get him some kind of baby data plan as a fallback.

I'm (we're) off contract so I'm trying really hard to do everything short of anything that would cause us to have to re-up anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the advice, Dark One. I will take a look. I know nothing about the Android thing so hopefully that's enough.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. I'm about to make some changes to my account. I'm adding some data plans and changing some stuff around. Generally have this worked out with a sales rep over the phone; he's calling me back tomorrow to finalize -- I said I wanted a day to think about it.

I'm currently off contract. He said that typically the changes I'm making would require re-upping but he'll "let" me do it without a contract update. This sounds fishy as gently caress and I'm worried I'll get my next bill and find out I'm on another three year contract.

What should I ask for so I can cover my rear end? Will the sales rep be putting notes into the system saying he's doing this without re-upping me? Should I be asking for reference numbers to these notes?

I feel like I should be hiring a lawyer for these kinds of things, that's how little I trust the telcos.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

less than three posted:

What carrier?

Honestly all the reference numbers and CYA doesn't matter, if they gently caress it up you'll be blamed for it and you'll be on a painful trek to fix it.

For Bell, I wouldn't touch the plan, only features.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's Rogers. This is what I'm worried about. I want to add a data plan to a line on my family plan, but the way he described the changes sounded very appealing -- I don't have the list underhand right now, but it was pretty decent and would end up only being like $10 more than what I'm paying for more minutes, shared 2gb data (which is fine by me, I've lived on 500mb for three years and never once went over), free long distance and other little pieces of fluff.

I'm not against signing another contract with Rogers, but I was hoping to save that perk for a hardware upgrade and not some plan change.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 18, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This might not be a question for this thread, but what is the legality of recording customer service calls (on my end) in Ontario?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, there goes that. Thanks anyway.

e: Although google says otherwise: "Canadian law requires that at least one party in the phone call be aware of the recording."

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 18, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm thinking about recording it less to use legally, but just to have on hand if someone says "hey you said you wanted to re-up your contract!". Maybe I'd be able to scare some CS rep into reversing whatever they did at some point if I had to.

I'm not really expecting to win any legal challenges.

Sorry for the slight derail. I guess if it comes down to it I'll go ahead and record it. Worst case scenario it looks like it won't get sued into the ground or whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for all the info. It's kind of annoying that I feel I need to go through all this CYA with regards to something like this, but it's nice to know I have options. I will certainly be making a voice recording and asking all CS reps for their employee number from this point on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh sorry I forgot to update. I went ahead and made the call (completely recorded) and I think I got exactly what I wanted. Also of note was that my CSR was incredibly helpful and a pleasure to deal with. I got the transaction ID or whatever of the change, so hopefully I can tie everything back to this call in case something does go wrong though.

In any event, I'm still off contract as of today as far as I can tell. Crossing my fingers that this continues to be the case for a long long time ;)

For what it's worth, I've actually been really pleased with Rogers for the most part over the past three years so I'm not AGAINST signing a new contract, I'd just like to hang onto that for something like a hardware upgrade. I think the only thing that's bothered me about Rogers is that they keep sending me text spam reminding me that "loyalty has its rewards" bla bla bla upgrade your phone because you're off contract, despite me opting out of everything, AND rogers twitter telling me to go to that stupid form I posted a few pages back to unsub.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am seriously contemplating getting the 4S, but I got shafted by the 3G on a 3 year contract. I guess if I'd waited for the 3GS I would have been better off. Gotta weigh whether Apple will still offer software updates for the 4S in 3 years :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I'm officially off contract so really the only reason I was considering the 4S was because my 3G is starting to really creak and groan and $99 seems like an okay price to replace a phone that I basically only use for telephone calls and email anyway. My iPad does all the heavy lifting for apps, really.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I will. I mean if anything the 4S will still be around. I was mostly thinking out loud. I have a lot of time to think out loud while I wait for my 3G's keyboard to catch up with what I typed :tipsahat:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but if I want to buy a used iPhone 4 or 4S to use on my Rogers account, what technology should I be looking for? Or will all iPhones work on the Rogers network? I was under the impression that I couldn't buy an unlocked Verizon phone and use it here or whatnot.

I gather I ought to be okay buying unlocked AT&T, existing Rogers, but beyond that I'm not sure what else is safe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

That was pretty much going to be my plan by the time I got around to calling again this evening, so I did it. I had to do a lot of dirty rotten lieing, but I feel I ended up with a pretty good deal. That bullshit $35 administration fee when I picked up my phone sucked though.

As an aside, any chance that you're selling the old i4 for parts?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

....actually, that sounds like a good idea. I might try to just sell it off locally. What did you have in mind?

Oh I just didn't know if you wanted to unload the carcass. If you have a price in mind let me know. I just wanted to tinker inside one for funsies, maybe see if I can fix it for practice, but you might actually be able to sell it off to someone who needs the parts (like if the LCD is still in good condition, etc) in which case that would probably be a more noble use of the phone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

jonathan posted:

My idiot brother just paid over $360 to fix the broken screen and LCD on his S3. This is after I told him about the nexus 4.

It's probably best to just cull the entire bloodline. Sorry.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is literally why every time I call Rogers to make a change to my account I record my call and have the rep double or triple verify that the change won't put me back on contract.

I can't wait for Rogers to try to tell me that switching my iPhone 3G to a 4S I plan to buy on Craigslist will somehow re-up my contract :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just got a text message from Rogers (?) telling me I can get a free Kindle Paperwhite 3G if I upgrade my phone and re-up my plan or something. I don't need one, but is this a legit thing they're doing, or just some sort of scam SMS?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WienerDog posted:

Select existing customers are eligible for this offer and have been notified via SMS, but obviously these deals are ment to drive new activations so prolly not many people have been contacted.

It might be those of us who are off contract. I've been month to month for months now and Rogers keeps desperately sending me offers for lovely android phones trying to get me to sign over another three years of my life to the memory of Uncle Ted.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've used my Callcentric account on my iPad and iPhone before, but honestly I think that unless you're really looking to save money then the convenience of just using your built-in phone app would be much more appealing over a third party app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't kid yourself. If ISPs were allowed to charge you extra for browsing sites internationally they would :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I buy a new SIM card from Rogers to put in an iPhone 4, will it invalidate and deactivate my old fat-style SIM card currently in my iPhone 3G? I'd like to keep the 3G around for emergencies if this 4 I'm buying craps out.

I know I can cut down my SIM card and use an adapter to enable its use in legacy SIM devices so if that's the best way to go then I'll do that. If I can just get a second card from Rogers for $10 and keep my first one, as long as both aren't on the network at the same time, then I'd prefer to do that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I figured that was the case, but I was hoping that perhaps they'd allow both to exist and just deny one or the other network access based on whichever phone authenticated first.

I will do more digging, but I will probably just try cutting the card myself. I suppose if I gently caress up I will need to buy a new one from Rogers, and in either case I'll need the adapter to use whatever I end up with in my old phone so it's no big deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That would be a logistical nightmare though. Your sim card is provisioning you a phone number. If someone calls it, which handset would it go to? Both? Which handset get to talk if you both answer the phone? I'm not exactly up on how data works over GSM/3G/whatever so I can't speak to how data is provisioned with regards to a sim card.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys,

Bought an old unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 from my friend. I want to use this on Rogers. What, if anything do I need to do other than trim down the SIM card or buy a new SIM card from Rogers?

Will I need to inform Rogers of this at all? I'll be moving form an iPhone 3G to this iPhone 4 so should my visual voicemail work if I just pop my sim card into the new i4? Do you know if I'll have to change any APN settings on the new phone? It did come from AT&T after all. Will it just automagically download all the new stuff from Rogers when I put the SIM card in or will I need to do anything manually? I'm using the 500mb plan which kind of sucks but I've never even come close to hitting 500mb since I'm literally within spitting distance of a wifi point most of the day. This data plan should should work fine, right? There wasn't any difference in data plans for the 3G and 4 or anything esoteric like that, right?

Sorry if this is all basic. I would call Rogers and ask them but to be completely honest I trust you guys more than their phone support, and I don't really want to deal with any sales pitches or being pressured into buying a whole new phone by going to ask someone at a Rogers kiosk. Not to mention I don't trust some random mall dude to not out and out completely lie and tell me it's not possible in order to sell me a new phone.

My number one priority in all this is not going back on contract with any cell provider at the moment so I'll be happy to keep chugging along with my 500mb plan, etc. :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 6, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome info everyone, thanks! Hopefully I don't have to dick with the APN stuff but I'll know when I actually have the device in hand.

I'm probably just going to buy the SIM card since I'll have to do it anyway if I gently caress something up, and I'd like as little to go wrong on day one as possible :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of course it costs them nothing. In fact they probably have to go out of their way to actually remove the ID from your call.

I literally thought that my friend was joking when he told me it was a pay feature when I first moved back. Ridiculous.

The big three won't offer it for free unless they're either forced to, or one of them changes policy and forces the others to be competitive. Which will never happen.

Canadian telecom is a joke.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do the new plans "happen" to cost $7 more? :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So uh, I don't remember ever increasing my data limit from 500MB, but I fired up the Rogers account iPhone app today and it says I have 109mb out of a 2GB quota. Is Rogers in the business of just bumping up quotas these days or what?

I will obviously call to confirm later when I feel like talking to a human being again, but I'm just curious if this could be a fault of the app or what?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here's hoping my upgrade is free because they never notified me otherwise :ohdear:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am on a family plan but nobody else is technically savvy enough to make a call to customer service, let alone ask for more data.

e: Okay, according to Rogers.com I am on a 2GB plan. Going to have to call in to see when that was done.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 25, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Could this be the begining of better cell rates and such?

Oh! Oh! I know the answer to this!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't like Verizon, but I hope this would actually mean some sort of shakeup among the big three. The other alternative is that Verizon takes Wind and just falls into line with what the big three are offering here which would be an unmitigated disaster. I don't see that happening since Wind is already established as a somewhat better alternative, but....

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WienerDog posted:

Marty: did you figure out what happened with Rogers regarding suddenly have more data? Just a glitch in the app/site?

I don't know when it happened, but I came upon a scrap of paper in my filing cabinet that had 2gb data something something unintelligible scribbled on it, so apparently at some point I actually had talked to Rogers and gotten myself a bigger data plan somehow.

My parents are on my account as a family plan, and I think I made some changes a while ago and I must have just straight up forgotten I got better data out of it. That or I was drunk :confused:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Only vaguely "cellular" related, but is the well of 416 numbers completely dry, or do they become available from time to time? I imagine it's like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is trying to get a 212 number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's probably a huge hassle anyway :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2013