Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just assume the "world" they're referring to is the third world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But I mean you gotta worry about getting kidnapped or machete'd so I guess I'd pay a little more to talk on my cellphone and not have to worry about all that :3:

Wait I forgot what my point was.

Oh yeah, gently caress Canadian Telco.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's downright nice. Giving serious thought to ditching Rogers. I might wait to see how this Verizon thing shakes out though, since I'm not DESPERATE to find something better. A cheaper bill would be nice no matter what, though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 9, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, 2gb is more or less reasonable IMHO. For sporadic "checking poo poo on the go" and occasional "downloading a thing" use it's pretty good. People on the go more than me could probably easily burn through 2gb quickly, but I think 2 is a REASONABLE thing to include in a basic plan. Like 500mb was borderline ridiculous. I never once went over, but I also had to majorly restrain myself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This, plus the stuff in the Toronto thread today makes me want to pick up and move back to Europe :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have no expectations that Verizon would be an amazing player in Canada, but at this point I am rooting for anything that the big three aren't in favour of.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It might be naive, but I agree with the above. I hope that a new entrant would have to be a little more competitive. I'm not expecting budget-carrier competitiveness or anything, but just having some sort of gimmick that could be construed as being better than the big three.

At this point I just want some sort of PROGRESS towards better carriers, even if it's incremental.

Then again for all I know it could just be "the big four" after Verizon sees the dollar signs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"BCE Inc. says it is likely to scale back efforts to bring advanced cellphone services to rural Canada if large foreign telecoms like Verizon Communications Inc. are allowed to enter the Canadian market under preferential rules."

:lol: -- a threat

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

My iPhone 4 is completely hosed now, the voice mic no longer works (so I can't actually use the phone to speak into) and the home button works maybe 1/10 presses. My contract isn't up with Rogers until Sept. 20. Fuckkkkkkkkk.

I know this isn't what your post is about, but there's a chance that the voice mic is a loose IC on your motherboard and you can shim it with a cut up credit card to MAYBE fix the problem if you have the screwdrivers to get into it.

Mine has this exact same problem and the shim at least got it working until the new 5s or whatever comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPR8qrAcg5g

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

grack posted:

Stop by a Rogers' store and ask them to transfer your account details on to a nano sim. It'll probably cost you about $10.

They'll do it for free if you get a nice rep. Or maybe I just charmed the hell out of the girl doing my transfer. I guess we'll never know :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Based on prior iPhones on Rogers, will upgrading to a 5s just be as simple as calling in and saying "I want a new 5s for $199 with my current contract"? I'm currently off contract / month to month. Family plan, but I just want my line to get the handset upgrade. The others are currently happy with their mom/dad-phones.

And if that's the case, will only my line be put back on contract? My understanding is that we're all off contract but I'm not 100% sure how these things work with a family plan. Do we have ONE contract that covers three lines or THREE contracts that cover one line each.

I'm doing my own research right now but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I switched from my Rogers phone to a company phone on Telus so I'm going to be cancelling my family plan thing.

I've got my parents on my plan so they're going to have to find their own two-line solution. Any go-to recommendations for two person plans with any particular carrier? They don't need a lot. I think my dad uses a few MB of data every month and my mom doesn't use any data. I doubt they would use even 120 minutes between the two.

I'll obviously be doing my own research but if there's a no brainer solution I'm missing please let me know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Finally told Rogers to shove it after getting on my employer's new corporate plan. That 30 day cancellation notice is kind of a bullshit unabashed moneygrab though. I'm sure it wouldn't take them 30 days to shut off my line if I, say, stopped paying them.

Oh well. I should have known to cancel earlier anyway, no big thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know the new wireless code requires carriers to allow same day cancellation but I don't think it is retroactive to old accounts. I guess I should be pissed but honestly I can't get that worked up about it. I should have expected this and cancelled sooner so really it's kind of my fault anyway. If I've got some free time maybe I'll look into ways around it but for now I guess I'll just pay the $190 or whatever for the extra month of service on the three lines I cancelled.

Wow, when I think about it that's actually quite a bit of money on the table :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess this may be a dumb question, but is your uncle unhappy with his existing setup? There's also something to be said for just staying with what he has off-contract.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Telus, did anyone have their data go completely out yesterday evening around 7? For about an hour or so.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let me run this scenario past you guys:

- I have a company provided iPhone 4S that is giving me some trouble. We're with Telus.
- I would like to upgrade to a Nokia Lumia 625 which is apparently $200 with no term as listed on their website.
- I'm pretty sure my company could swing an upgrade, but I don't want to get my company involved since I'd like to keep this phone if I ever leave. My goal is just to get a Telus locked phone for now and use it with the SIM card that is in my iPhone.

So my question:

If Telus is offering the phone for $200 with no term, does that mean that they are not subsidizing it in any way? If so, do we know if Telus will sell a phone outright without signing up for a new plan, even one with no term?

If not, what is the feasibility of signing up for some crap plan with no term to get the phone at full price, then cancelling it immediately?

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that I don't really want to use, and the Telus trade-in value appears to be about $70 according to their calculator. How does this figure into the above, if at all?

Sorry if this is a mess of a question. I really should be asking a Telus rep, and I will once I have time to meander to a Telus store, unless you guys know for sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys, I'll try BestBuy tomorrow. Worst case they just say no and I keep trying elsewhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OilSlick posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this is a very simple transaction.

Assuming you have authority on your work account with Telus, you walk into a store and ask to buy the Nokia phone outright. As hard as it is to believe, you are actually allowed to do this. You are a Telus customer and have an account for them to activate it on, so there should be no trouble here. You sure as hell do not need to activate a whole extra line to do this. How do you suppose people who break their phones a week after buying them get new ones?

You can also use your Galaxy S3 for trade in value if you like. If they said it's worth $70, they'll apply $70 (before taxes) as a payment to your purchase in store. That should be no problem, assuming the store participates in the trade in program (not sure if Best Buy or whatever does. Any actual Telus store should)

The only requirement is to get your company to allow you to have authority to switch phones on your work account if you don't already. This transaction will have no impact on your company's account in any way, and I'm assuming you are paying for this phone fully with your own money, so there's no reason why your company wouldn't let you keep the Nokia phone, since it will technically be your property.

Went in and did this today and it wasn't even as difficult as that. Didn't get any authority from my company. Just went in, asked if they had the 625, told them I wanted to buy it outright and that was that. They didn't even check if I had a Telus account :q:

I was more worried that there were still going to be loopholes with the unsubsidized price, but nope. Easy peasy :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hey awesome, I just realized Telus doesn't enable Visual Voicemail for anything but iPhones :mad:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I thought only iPhones had it :confused:

I know at least WinPhone supports VVM; I'm fairly sure Android does it too. I'm guessing it's not the same implementation as iOS but still.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

iLikeMidgets posted:

I don't bother answering unknown numbers anymore. I figured if it's important they will leave a message.

This gets really tiring after the fifth unknown call in a day. Of course,the alternative is to pick up every unknown call and that is much more tedious :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Switching jobs and my company phone is going bye-bye. If I sign a new contract somewhere, are 416 numbers still hard to come by, or do I just have to ask for one? I don't really care about the deluge of collection calls or whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So here's what I'm thinking:

Wind Mobile $35/mo plan:

quote:

Unlimited Province-wide Calling
Unlimited Canada-wide Texting
Unlimited Canada/US wide Picture/Video Messaging
Unlimited Data

And an unlocked iPhone 6 from the Apple Store.

I plan to do very little travelling outside of their "coverage" map, with the exception of Montreal. I suppose I could upgrade to their more expensive plan if I plan to be out of coverage very long.

Does Wind support iOS Visual Voicemail, or am I going to have to use some lovely voice based voicemail like a caveman? Also still hoping for a 416 number so I'll have to check with Wind in the morning one of these days..

Anyway, any general advice on the above? Am I going to have a bad time on Wind? I'm not married to that provider, but I do find myself using about 2-3GB of data since I work from the train a lot, and I don't really travel outside of the Wind area, so I figured $35 was a good price for a no-contract thing to try.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So aside from Wind, is there any "budget" plan that will get me a fair amount of data (I do a lot of RDP on the train to work on my office desktop) that anyone would recommend? I consider budget to be anything at or under $50. I don't see myself leaving the GTA so I was going to try Wind out. Heck, it's no contract so I may try it just to see if I'm happy with it anyway, but it can't hurt to solicit advice. Either way I'm going to buy my own iPhone since I don't want to be locked into anything long-term.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I figured. I'll try Wind and if it really sucks I'll weigh my options then :)

Thanks all!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kind of had a lovely porting experience from Telus to Virgin but they finally got it done after the 3rd try. Also Virgin was just spewing 416 numbers so I shouldn't have been so worried about not getting one -- and in the end I just ported my existing business number over anyway.

Godinster posted:

Nope you just generally need the account number [or IMEI/SIM I believe] from the old line. Family plan should have no effect.

They needed the account number in my case for sure. I had te IMEI/SIM from my Telus line but that wasn't enough, unfortunately. Which makes sense I guess, that you have some kind of information identifying that you're somehow involved in the actual contract to begin with.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PS. Love the cabin posted:

lol

This is on Bell's front page:

I can watch one whole video!

How can they afford to be so generous? They give till it hurts.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 28, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

He said it's usually a $10 charge.

What, to cut it down? For $10 I'd just expect them to give me a new SIM card.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My company gave me a blackberry on Rogers. I tether to that on the lakeshore west GO train every afternoon and man -- non stop data dropouts between Union and Aldershot. Compared to Virgin that had rock solid reception everywhere. How can it be so crappy? :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any point in hoping WIND will stop being lovely for reception? I'm pretty happy with Virgin but $70-something for 2GB that I constantly fight not to go over -- I'd gladly give up LTE for that if I could just be sure I'd get reception in a major city downtown. 3G unlimited data for $40-something sounds pretty good right now. Especially since summer lets me do a lot of my office stuff in a coffee shop while tethered.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

I found the iPhone price this year to be steep but it's nice to upgrade every 2 years unlocked and give my old unlocked phone to my wife and it's still good for her for another 2 years.

This is my plan too. I've got a 6 and given that it's got everything I'll need for a while and Apple Pay NFC for down the road then I'm perfectly happy to wait another year to see what the 7 comes up with. People tend to prefer the S->S upgrade cycle but I'm okay doing the opposite.

Paid full price for my phone and haven't given it a second thought since, but then again I'm perfectly happy with 16GB so who knows, maybe next upgrade will be price prohibitive. I suppose if I really felt that way I could just go back on contract or something, but I don't see that happening.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Come on, you know we're never getting Apple Pay.

If you say so :B

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone using Koodo in downtown Toronto? I'm thinking of jumping ship to their 5gb data plan 300 minute calling plan since I go over my 2GB Virgin data cap regularly. Today I got the warning that I have 200mb left for December and I'm kind of ready to just find something that won't hamstring me.

I forget what I'm paying base right now but I'm trying to keep it around $100/mo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cowofwar posted:

How much can I get for my 3GS?

Maybe the cost of the bus ticket to meet the seller.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I shouldn’t be surprised but is visual voicemail still a pay feature with the new Rogers infinite plans? I just got one and I’m only able to call VM. I guess somehow I thought I read that it came with enhanced voicemail but I guess I was wrong. Sigh, Canada.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just went to the Rogers store to have my SIM converted to eSIM.

Dude literally didn't ask me for any ID, name, nothing, just asked for my phone number and sold me a $10 QR card. Didn't even check that the phone I had in my hand had the number I claimed to have.

Just the kind of quality service I can expect from Rogers. If your phone number gets jacked don't be surprised at ALL.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

65 with no data sounds less like a loyalty plan, and more like an obedience plan.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I pay $75 for 20gb Infinite on Rogers so that's lol

Huh -- I'm at 75 for 10GB which is driving me bananas as I'm constantly maybe 2GB over and throttled by the end of the cycle. 20 shows at 85 for me. Did you get in on a deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"ACTUALLY, I think you'll find that Canadian cell phone plans are TOO good"
- Someone at Telus, probably