Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

eXXon posted:

The quotes in the articles I read claimed that Rogers isn't interested. They have dump trucks full of money but they're probably saving some for the next spectrum auction and I hope/pray the CRTC would actually deny their bid to buy Wind if it ever came to that.

So it'll be Bell or Telus then. They can't have some random company driving down prices. In other news it looks like we'll get our AWS iPhone just in time for Wind and Mobilicity to get bought up and have their pricing brought in line with industry standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Nope, not an AWS iPhone. T-mobile just launched an LTE network compatible with the existing iPhone. Wind and Monilicity (and our telecom industry) is still screwed.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I was going by the verge. But hey, if that works maybe something will happen. I know most certainly that the current iPhone doesn't work on AWS

E: Ok yeah, this is pretty cut and dry now. http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/26/apple-t-mobile-capable-iphone-5-goes-through-fcc-testing/

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 27, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

S2 LTE will work on Bell/Telus (I don't know about LTE, but 3G and what they call 4G will work) as long as you can get Rogers to unlock it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, I'm on that plan with virgin. Once I started tracking my data use I've been using less than I thought I would and I'm saving even more.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Don't know how useful it would be to many but, I'm currently visiting the US, and Roam Mobility is a Canadian MNVO of T-Mobile that offers prepaid plans with unlimited talk/text to the US and Canada with a solid amount of data. Way better rates than roaming and/or long distance with a 365 day expiry.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

This is the problem.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I'm still waiting for the subsidy from providing my own phone.

I get a whopping $2.50 off of my bill for bringing my own phone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's the main reason I have 6gb with them.
There's no way they can ever misreport me up to 6gb.

That sounds like a challenge!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Is tablet data sharing still a thing? I was looking at Virgin's site and it looks like I need to buy another plan, which is a lot more expensive, not worth the convenience of not having to tether.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Do the new data saver rates on Koodo apply to existing accounts that use data saver, or only when you switch your plan? I'm on Virgin's pay per use data and I'm considering a preemptive switch to bundled data before we get an "industry standard" adjustment.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

That was my experience with my Bell Galaxy S. I solved it after the 4th repair by contacting the CCTS who got Bell to replace my lemon with a HTC Desire Z, which, while still not a very good phone, at least had the good sense to boot up before it had the sleep of death, and worked most of the time.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

They made similar threats when Wind and Mobilicity came in (remember the camel?). They are also playing ads all over the radio stations that they own, and I wouldn't be surprised if they started playing ads on their TV stations as well.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lexicon posted:

:ughh:

Union rally on Friday in Toronto against the spectre of Verizon entering.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/08/29/u...jobs-in-canada/

So Verizon won't be any cheaper, but thousands of jobs will still be lost apparently.

I think that it's likely that Verizon will just "play ball" with the big 3 leaving us with a big 4 given the situation in the states. I don't know about losing Canadian jobs though, wouldn't they have to hire people to build out and maintain their Canadian network?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

At least in BC you can still get the $35 silver plan from virgin which still has pay per use data that scales up to 3gb for an extra $30. It's probably the cheapest data from the big 3 right now.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I did some looking at 8com and it looks legit, but it seems way to good to be true. I'm confused because the plans they have on their site have unlimited* internet and the deals they have in RFD have limits, though they are very high, 6 and 10GB. They use different networks in different provinces, but they are all big3, so presumably you'll get your HSPA+ and LTE if you have a big3 device.

It seems way too good to be true.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm thinking about getting a simple dumb phone for my mom to replace her old Kyocera, which she hates. It needs to be super simple, and just make phone calls. Nothing else. I was thinking a Nokia brick, but it looks like everyone is only selling cheap android phones, and smartphone lookalike dumb phones. Any recommendations?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Rogers will up all their rate plans by $5 to compensate. Bell and Telus will bring their pricing in line with industry standards shortly thereafter.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Speak out is the cheapest because they have 365 day expiry.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Crossposting from the Canadian internet thread on Bell and Virgin's new "privacy" policies.

Bell: http://support.bell.ca/billing-and-accounts/security_and_privacy/how_does_bell_respect_my_privacy?step=4

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/relevant-ads.html

And opt-out links:

Bell: http://mobilebrowser.bwanet.ca/optout/v2/bell-en.jsp

Virgin: http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/preferences/relevantAds.html

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, it's really light on the technical details. I'd want some reviews from sources i trust. (Also roam Mobile user)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, I recently had to pay the extra 30 days with shaw. Here is some video evidence of my experience. It's typical across the board. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6G-wNyIxzM

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

eXXon posted:

Telus' bid to buy Mobilicity was rejected, again.

Christ, would T-Mobile please buy Mobilicity? This poo poo is ridiculous. And despite their ridiculously cheap plans, Mobilicity is losing 5,200 subscribers per month, down below 200,000.

Slow down there comrade! You wouldn't sell our water to those filthy yanks, you can't possibly want to sell our precious electromagnetic waves!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

grack posted:

Right now only Nexus phones come with no crapware. If you buy any other smart phone from Bell rest assured they will load it up with useless garbage.

I'm 100% certain that the iPhone comes unladen with crap as well.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Where can you buy that phone? I want something for my mom, and it has been demonstrated that anything more complex than "press numbers, press call" is too complicated, basically ruling out all smartphones. She hates her Kyocera but really liked my ancient Nokia, so I'd hope that it would last the next 5-10 years.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

consider Virgin's $30 silver plan with pay-per-use data, which still has a reasonable amount of data. (up to 3GB). (I realize it's not prepaid, but it's cheaper than koodo's)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm seriously considering going back to WIND now that I have a 5S. Any anecdotes about service in Burnaby? I'm frightened to leave Virgin because I have a pretty good plan that I won't be able to get back.

e: also of note on the plans above, if you only use 300MB of data on the Virgin plan, you save a whole 5 of your earth dollars! 10 if you can keep it under 100MB.

2e: Yeah, Wind's network is somehow worse than when it launched, and I get no service indoors whatsoever. So let my $60 be a warning to you. Don't loving bother with these jokers. I get to port back to virgin tomorrow.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 30, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If there's one thing I have learned over the past three years of dealing with technology and the industry (I am acutely aware of this right now) it's this: don't settle.

I have put up with garbage crap made from plastic that I bought because it's cheap but I am always magnitudes happier with the quality stuff I buy. I don't want to turn this into a platform warrior lame fest, so I'll just say get t moto x at whatever cost if you think it's right. Don't settle for cheap garbage.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

There are actually five different iPhone 5S models, it just happens that 3 of them, including the CDMA models include a pentaband HSPA antenna which supports what all Canadian providers require. It is fairly common for CDMA devices to do this so that they can work outside of the USA, though usually they don't include the support for 1700MHz.

There's also a million different LTE bands to be aware of as well. IIRC only one or two of the bands in the upcoming 700MHz auction are supported by the current iPhone.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If you aren't tied to a specific model, NCIX has a selection of unlocked android phones that looks to not be horribly over priced. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just order a Nexus 5 from google though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

You're lucky. I've been with them for almost 15 years (back when they were still Clearnet) and I always get crappy customer service they never offer me anything and don't care. I called today asking about the Koodo plans and I was told just to go ahead and switch because they weren't going to even try and lower my monthly cost.

You do know that Telus and Koodo are the same company right? You basically just threatened to continue your service with them.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Any ideas on how their service is like?

And apparently Superstore has their own service... PC Mobile? Looks like it's Bell and $0.20 a minute.

Seven eleven is Rogers. It's the best for low usage folk because of the 365 day expiry on all balances. My mom has like $800 tied up in Telus prepaid because she's paying in monthly and doesn't want to expire, but has no use for a cell phone. All that money is wasted.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

A while back I had to go to a wireless wave in order to get them to sell me a phone from a carrier without service.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm curious why you would jump through hoops to pay full price for a Moto X when the Nexus 5 is more readily available for much less, and doesn't run a version of android from 2012.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Keep in mind that in order to get a subsidy on an iPhone, you will likely have to choose a $70+ plan. You only get the cheap plans if you bring your own phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Note that the 10% is only on the base $30. You'll get $3 off by brining your own phone on that plan.