Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Kolta posted:

Koodo has a super plan out now. 6gb of data, call display and voicemail, 250 Canada wide minutes, unlimited incoming calls and unlimited text for 60$ a month.

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad and it's slightly better than my 200 local minutes, unlimited text, caller id, vmail 3 and 6GB through Telus plan for $65 + tax.

My contract is up in December, hmm.. I think I'll try calling in tomorrow.

Koodo's network is exactly the same as Telus/Bell's right?

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Cacator posted:

I just changed my plan to the Telus equivalent and have to say I'm impressed with how easy it (ultimately) was. I bought an S3 a few weeks ago and tried to change it in store but they said I was too late, and I wasn't able to do it online (fine print even says the promotional plan doesn't apply to rate changes), but once I called them they didn't have any problem with giving it to me.

What's the Telus equivalent? Is it exactly the same?

I was going to call today after work but instead I fell asleep. :haw:

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Finally got around to trying to get Telus to match the Koodo 6GB super plan. The rep I spoke with matched the plan feature-wise but couldn't match it price-wise and wanted $67 before taxes.

Guess I'm moving on to Koodo!

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Aww crap, koodo currently does not offer visual voicemail. :(

Oh well, small price to pay for a better plan at a cheaper price.

Telus is totally loving me over one last time though. Right before the koodo girl could port my number over, the telus network went down so I'm stuck here twiddling my thumbs and using Starbucks' wifi like a chump.

Well played, telus. Well played.

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2012

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

D C posted:

Do none of the providers have cross Canada coverage anymore?

If theres one thing I cant loving stand about Canadian cellular is the local restrictions. So bullshit, every loving mobile plan in the US is nation wide.

Koodo is nationwide.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Sober posted:

Wow, getting my number ported is a bit of a hassle. Can't receive calls so I call back to ask the sales guy at Mobilicity what the problem was, says I need the account number on my Virgin Mobile account. Not my PIN apparently, so I have to call Virgin's CS for it and the lady who gave me the number seemed to mumble it out for me. Hopefully it goes okay, I guess I'll see in a few hours if it does.

It should be on your bill or ebill. If you can, just grab it from that and save yourself the trouble of trying to get it from a CS rep.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Crumbles posted:

Pretty much the same, although without the Canada-wide calling. It's like Rogers isn't even trying :saddowns:

One other notable difference, though, is that Koodo appears to charge for tethering, which would make those 6 gigs a lot less useful for me...

Uh I'm pretty sure Koodo doesn't charge for tethering.

Edit: Oh wow, the Koodo Canada-wide 6GB plan is back. Except now it's for $5 more and you only get 150 anytime minutes instead of 250. Glad I jumped on it earlier when I did.

:dance:

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 18, 2012

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Out of curiosity, does Koodo ever force customers over to different plans than what they signed up for, given that they are generally a no-contract outfit? I'm guessing not, or they'd have far worse PR, but I wouldn't be at all surprised...

The Koodo rep that helped me out when I ported over from Telus told me that once you've had a certain plan (promotional or otherwise) in the past you always have access to that (those) same plan(s) again at any time in the future.

So according to her, if I were for example to downgrade to the standard $20 Canada-wide plan for October, I have the option to go back to the original $60 6GB Canada-wide plan in November (or any time in the future).

I think a goon that frequents this thread is a Koodo employee. Maybe he can shed some light on this for us next time he's in here.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

$0 on Telus and Bell. $0.01 on Rogers.

More proof that Rogers sucks.

But seriously, that seems like a pretty sweet deal. I guess the SGS4 really is just around the corner, though.

Speaking of the big three, I'll be interested in seeing which of them will have the Nokia 920 right from the get go.

Edit: VVV Yeah, that probably makes more sense. I remember reading about rumblings of an SGS4 announcement in February and I instinctively thought that that was just around the corner but in reality that's still like 5 months away!

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 28, 2012

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Does Koodo tend to get new iPhones reasonably quickly after release? I'm at least a couple months away from having the cash to get serious about buying one, but the Koodo no contract/$150 tab discount model is very appealing.

I'm likely aiming to buy around April but will hang tight if rumours of a summer refresh start to ramp up. I wouldn't want to wait a couple months for a refresh then a couple more for the phones to filter down to Telus's discount carrier though.

They got the i5 on launch day.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Dang, 10% off a plan if you jump over with Virgin with your own phone? That's pretty sweet.

Their $60 plan is pretty awesome too since it offers up unlimited talk but sadly only 1GB of data. For the type of user that I am data is more important than voice. Hopefully down the road they'll come out with some data heavy plans that compete with my current 6GB plan and still have that 10% promo going. Not worrying about cancellation fees because I'm not on a contract is pretty sweet. :)

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Maybe try seeing if your local TV consumer reporter could try to help?! It'd be a longshot but it might be worth it.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Hmm I have the original Canada-Wide Super 6GB. I wonder if I can dump my positive tab and get the 10% off instead.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I hope this doesn't trickle down through to Koodo.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to get their hands on Google Play Store versions of the HTC One and/or the Samsung Galaxy S4, what Canadian networks would they work on?

Edit: Thanks DarkJC!

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 26, 2013

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Holy poo poo those are brutal!

I'm going to hold onto this $60 6GB Canada wide thing as long as I can.. but technically I guess it's only a matter of time now since Koodo is month to month.. They could just technically bump me to some retarded plan whenever they wanted, couldn't they?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

grack posted:

The one saving grace is no, they can't. It's illegal in Canada to unilaterally change cellular phone contracts without express consent of the paying customer. This includes month to month.

Thank you, baby Jesus!

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Hoping that this is all part of Verizon's cloak and dagger gently caress bitches up the rear end ninja takeover plan.

But it's probably not.

:(

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

How long does the unlimited data last for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

How much data do you get after those three months?