Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Kafka Esq. posted:

Well, my Desire decided to say gently caress you after exactly two years (to the day!) and now I need a new one. I'm on Telus and I've been eyeing the S3, but I'm wary of doing any more ROM modding - the Desire was not even wildly experimented on and it had tons of problems I didn't have the energy to suss out. Is the stock S3 fine?

edit: I've got that Telus plan that came with six gb data for free, and I can get any of the phones for 3 year price + 120 bucks, if that helps.

Make sure you actually try the S3 first. I have one and I love it, but it took me a while to get used to how light, thin and big it was compared to an iphone 3g. Its a monstrous difference from the Desire. Desire 107.2 x 60.6mm x 11.95mm vs S3 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm. 3cm taller, 1cm wider, 1/3rd thinner. Battery life is great too and swappable. As long as GPS is off (which by the way is fast and very accurate), you could watch 720p 10bit video for nearly 10 hours on a full charge.

The stock S3 is fine for the most part. There's some small bugs here and there, but nothing show stopping. Most of the samsung apps aren't terribly intrusive/totally optional. If/when you get one, I'd recommend bringing a jacket or something to simulate total darkness. The AMOLED screen still has the black splotches manufacturing problem. Pure black screen in total darkness, you'll see opaque black spots sometimes. It doesn't affect the colors when there is ambient light though so this is only if you like using your phone as a replacement LCD e-reader in bed.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Migishu posted:

I'm done. I'm loving done with this goddamn company. I'm returning the phone and telling them to shove it up their loving assholes. I've been overly patient, and their horrible service has just broken me. I've lived here for 8 years, and only within the past 2 years have I even needed a mobile phone, and only now have my needs increased, but this was certainly not what I was expecting.

I had something very similar happen to me with Rogers. Its crazy how little they try to keep your business, even having a 10 year old account that's been credit card post paid since day 1 on a $70+ monthly.

I know its not available in Montreal, but I have had such a refreshing experience with Mobilicity. Sure you get no signal in pretty much any large windowless concrete structure (basement levels of low rise office buildings, small indoor shopping malls), but for $30/mo for unlimited everything all in, I'm honestly ok with it.

Its sad though seeing Koodo, Chatr and Solo prices going up. It pretty much means that the big three are done competing in the marketplace.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

BafflerMeat posted:

I've just moved into a new place in Hamilton ON, not incredibly familiar with the current market for super/smartphones but I've been reading up a bit on WIND and they seem pretty solid. Can anyone vouch for the speed/consistency in and around Hamtown and Burlington? That's where I'm mostly going to be.

I'm considering going for broke and buying a Galaxy S3 but it's a minimum 300$ on the Wind Tab, whereas Bell/Rogers have it for 159/169 on a 3 year contract. As someone who'd be buying his first supersmartphone I feel eerily like I'm just jumping for the newest and shiniest thing available. I've also got an eye on the Galaxy Nexus and the white person in me really likes the sound of the Huawei Ascend P1. Any advice on this appreciated, I'm not as familiar with Canadian cell service as I was.

The S3 is going for that price because your monthly rate will be lower than what you would get from the big 3. On average, you'll be paying $30/mo less than you would be with rogers/bell/telus assuming you do more than 500mb of data a month. Ignoring interest and other real factors, the $150 difference still works out to less than $5/mo. Since you've worked in a call center with Rogers, you'll know how the phone is not part of the contract so whether you are subsidized or not has no bearing once you are on the mfg's warranty.

I'd go with the S3 over the nexus unless you are looking to play with custom roms. If you aren't the type to custom build and customize your PC, trick out your car, build an extension on your house or something similar, go with the S3 as it is a better phone, hardware wise (and battery life too).

You can check the wind subforum on howardforums for coverage information from other users. There are a fair amount of people posting there.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Eej posted:

GNexus has Jelly Bean with Google Now by default, S3 will have some Touchwizzed version of JB with S-Voice.

Also if you get a GNexus on Wind and decide you don't like Wind, it'll work on any carrier in Canada since it's Pentaband.

The SGH-T999V with Wind is pentaband too. Once you get/buy an unlock code, it'll work on any carrier too. Software wise, yes, the nexus can be better since it doesn't have carrier specific bloatware or samsung's touchwiz UI. Hardware wise, the S3 is faster and has a longer battery life. It also has a micro sdhc slot supporting the sdxc spec for cards up to 64gb, while the nexus has the 16/32gb.

The difference is really up to you. Just swing by any store and take a look at the two (or if the local store doesn't have a mock up, any carrier will have both up on demo).

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Crumbles posted:

So, my Rogers contract ended a few months ago, and now with the release of the new iPhone, I'm getting ready to start haggling... I've been paying close to $80/mo for the past three years for 6GB of data, and nearly bare bones everything else. Looking at Wind's offerings, I can get a fully decked out plan for half that. I'd really love to stop over paying. My one issue with Wind is that I leave the Wind Zone pretty often, and would prefer not to be roaming half the time.

Anyone have any experiences or tips to share when arguing with Rogers? Is there any hope that I can get my monthly rate reduced, or will I only be looking at some beefed up subsidies on a new phone?

Rogers won't give any meaningful discounts right now. You might get a 'new activations only' plan, but nothing better. They are right now trying to play up a political angle to block challengers.

Wind and Mobilicity will never get the iphone unless T-Mobile miraculously becomes the #1 in market share in the United States. No reason to make a new model with slower data speeds and less than 1 million potential customers.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Godinster posted:

I can't speak for the entire country but the penetration through buildings on LTE seems to be loving terrible. I get LTE with 5 bars outside my apartment but it drops down to fake 4G [and sometimes even EDGE] as soon as I go inside. Same result in all the malls here. To be fair it's in Saskatchewan but I've heard similar stuff in BC/Ontario.

LTE uses a different frequency. Telus is 850mhz for hsdpa but 1700/2100 for LTE. That frequency gives it the wall penetration power of wifi, except at a much higher broadcast power. That's why the 700mhz auction is a big deal™.

Its also why Wind and Mobilicity have such terrible signal when indoors. Same frequency as LTE so same signal penetration problems but for all of their service.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Reverse Centaur posted:

What's the catch with Rogers share everything plans? Their website suggests my wife and I can share 9 gigs and unlimited calling/texting/roaming for $170 per month and both get Nexus 6Ps for $200 each on two year plans. Am I missing some horrible small print?

Canada wide roaming (be anywhere in canada and call anyone in canada) but roaming out of Canada is a different story. Roam Like Home is good though for most of the world.

Lexicon posted:

I always wonder how hard it must be to extricate a family member from one of those joint plans when circumstances change down the line (e.g. one spouse happens to get given a phone at work etc). Obviously you need to pay off the subsidy, but even then, I bet they make it an expensive, utter hassle to reduce the service on the line.

It is not hard at all. If someone needs to leave the family plan, they just need to pass a credit check and that's pretty much it. Cancelling is just paying whats left of the tab. Changing plans isn't too bad either unless you are changing the type of 'tab' it is(downgrading to a talk and text plan after getting a brand new iphone 6s on contract).

Reverse Centaur posted:

That $170 didn't include tax or anything, so it's over $100 each. Doh

I already have a work phone but it's a Galaxy Rugby, so gently caress that.

edit: Rogers lets us both reserve online without switching plans.... is that normal?

Reserve != purchase. If you need to change the plan, you'll be told when you go to get it from the store.