Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've found Wind actually pretty reliable since they stepped up tower deployments over the past year. I'm out in the Niagara region but I get great reception pretty much everywhere out here near except on top of the escarpment. When I visit my parents out in Oakville its a bit iffy in a few areas but other than that I rarely have problems. I don't really visit TO much so no idea what its like there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

I live in one of Wind's unlimited service areas (London :banjo: ), and I haven't had any problems with the reception so far, using my cheap & lovely Huawei.

I gotta say though, Wind stores are more no-frills than... NoFrills.

They're so bare and ghetto, you'd swear it was some front for acquiring your personal info, rather than a new and (hopefully?) growing phone service provider.

Yeah the one in St. Catharines is hilariously barebones. I don't really mind if it means savings on my monthly bill I guess. I do wish they would start getting serious about accessories, they had like a half dozen Blackberry accessories and almost none for the flagship Android phones. The clerk told my GF "oh just hit up Ebay :smug:".

quote:

I would love to switch to WIND but they don't offer service in my area yet They've said "coming soon" for the past year or so, so who knows.

They are very slow at updating the official coverage map so I would check it out every so often on forums or Coveragemapper. My town was added for like 3 months but they still hadn't updated the coverage map, I found out totally by accident.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 26, 2012

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

jwoven posted:

Yeah, I can get by just fine on 50 minutes, but gently caress

Looks like if I go with the 150 minute voice, it comes with unlimited text messaging, as well as caller ID and voicemail. Toss in the 2gb data, and it's at a mere $70.

Promo plan has 200 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 1gb data (the data flex) for $65.

Right now, I'm paying $40 for 50 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 100mb data.

I'd love to go on Wind or Mobilicity (my sister is only paying $25 for unlimited everything) and they even have decent coverage in my area, but I don't want an android phone.

:smith:

Man I waited like 3 years for an AWS iPhone and every year the big rumor was that it would finally arrive. Never happened, just give up :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

My sister has been complaining to me about an automated bill-collection number hassling her Rogers phone to try and find who was presumably the previous owner of the number. She tried calling Rogers, and they said they won't block individual numbers. I find this hard to believe - they really have no facility for doing this? They offered to change her number, which is of course a highly unsatisfactory baby/bathwater solution.

edit: She has an iPhone 3GS, so there's no on-device solution to this.

I had a similar problem with my new phone number, kept getting calls from some weird collection agency in London (Aktiv Capital or something like that). I tried to tell them several times that I was not the previous owner but they wouldn't take me off the list without giving them my SIN and gently caress if I'm going to give that to some random call center people. Of course once they get a live person its like a shark smelling blood in the water, I started getting 3-5 calls a day from different numbers which is apparently a common trick to get around collection agency call restrictions.

Anyway, my phone had no way of blocking the number and the apps on the android market to do it were buggy. I called Wind and they wouldn't do it either but I found a workaround. I basically made up a contact called Moron Spammers and added every single number of theirs to it then ticked off the straight to voicemail box in the contact details. iOS must have an equivalent somewhere. 99% of the time their automated dialers hang up before hitting the VM recording and I never see the calls so I am happy. It's not a true block but its as close as you will probably get without getting your lawyer to send a letter to the company insisting they block a number.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zeeboi posted:

Yeah, I'm dealing with this too right now. Switched my number recently and almost immediately kept getting calls from a company called IQOR. Added them to my contacts and made sure "send to voicemail" was checked. Usually catches the calls immediately.

It's infuriating that those companies can legally just harass you day in and day out. They are chasing some dude with a totally different name and one of the more inexperienced reps admitted it was like a 9 year old debt which is stats barred anyway according to googling I did.

Someone told me to get my lawyer to send them a letter and I think that's what I'll do eventually if they start filling my VM box. He'll probably want $500 to send the damned thing though :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hamilton and Burlington are pretty good in general I've found but definitely check CoverageMapper for Toronto to see if the spots you frequent are ok.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can port a prepaid number anywhere, just make sure you have some piece of the account info as it speeds up the process considerably. If you're with Virgin it's probably the phone number and your pin that they will ask for. I found that I used a smartphone quite a bit once I swapped over to a decent plan where you don't need to count your messages or anything silly.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lone Rogue posted:

The network is quite new and limited. It ain't great and won't be great for a very long time.

You always have to keep in mind with WIND you're not dealing with a pre-built network.

Actually I wanted to ask you about that. I've had nothing but a great experience with Wind so far, fantastic coverage and data speeds have been good. My girlfriend though is over in Stoney Creek and lives in a small area within the coverage map that seemingly gets zero bars/signal. I'm convinced there is some sort of problem because its literally just a few streets that are close to some power towers and then full bars when you get away from them. I've tried filling out the problem area form a few times over the past few months but nothing has been done. Is there any method or process we should be doing to get this resolved or looked at?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I might be, my girlfriend gets a really weak Wind signal at her place but wants to keep the service. I would need to do some research first though, $320 is a lot to drop on something that might not work.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just an update on being with Wind for awhile: I'm still really happy but my GF was getting antsy not being able to get a signal at home. We had submitted a few complaints using the network builder thing which I assumed were ignored. Last weekend Wind came out and setup a repeater in her area, now she gets 5 bars everywhere so shes loving it. Data speeds are about 5/1 which is pretty good, shes on the unlimited package and saving about $70 a month vs her old Rogers bullshit.

All told it took them about a month from first complaints to implementation which is really good considering it's a small coverage area in Winona.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is really sad when my cell has faster speeds than my cable connection.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
That would just be my luck, I finally get a decent cell provider at a good price and they get sold to Rogers. I have no reception problems or etc out here in Grimsby, Wind for $40 unlimited everything is a damned bargain. Every time I look at the Rogers website to make a plan I see poo poo like "200 any time minutes", for a whole loving month?! I don't know how people stand those kinds of plans.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

OilSlick posted:

Yeah, of all the complaints I hear from customers on a daily basis, 200 minutes a month is rarely one of them.

I don't use a landline anymore and even with heavy texting I easily use more than the small amount of minutes most of those companies give you in a month. To me it's just indicative of the constant gouging by the big 3 that made the newcomers so desirable. Any time I sit down to make a comparable package to what I get from Wind its usually $75+ from them. Sure their coverage is better if I traveled a lot but I don't so /shrug.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 21, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

I would certainly expect to see anything with the word unlimited in the plan disappear.

Yep exactly. The whole reason why the new entrants were so enticing was actual price competition and some feature differences that went beyond names. I really don't want to go back to a situation like four years ago.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Screw paying you $25 just for a sim card, Wind. I really wasn't sure if my clumsy rear end could cut the sim down but it seems to be working.

Every time I've needed a new SIM from Wind I just walked into a store and they gave me one for free after verifying my account details.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in SH/SC but I'll give it a whirl. A family member owns a few restaurants in Toronto, one of them has been getting irate Rogers customers who can't get a signal inside. Rogers used to have a nearby tower but lost it due to some beef with a condo board or something. Outside people get a weak but usable signal, inside little to nothing. Normally this would be Rogers problem but of course customers are short sighted and blame the local businesses instead. Someone asked me about getting a signal booster for the place but I have no first hand experience or knowledge of them. Is this even worth looking into or are they just SOL?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah they have stock right now, thanks for the heads up.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Left is before I paid my top up fee, right is after.

Thanks Wind.

I don't understand, you're on a $30 plan but they're requiring you to pay $35? Isn't that kind of broken? I would give them a call.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My brother had a pretty weird situation come up, I was hoping to see if anyone here had any idea on what to do. He was with Wind a few months, did one of their Windtab things and got a Blackberry Q5 (I know, I know) and all was fine. Last week his phone stops working entirely, he digs into it and finds out the IMEI is blacklisted by Bell due to a fraud investigation. This was a phone sold to him by a Wind store directly. He takes it up with Wind who keeps insisting its a Bell problem and won't acknowledge the issue beyond that. He escalates it to one of their corporate contacts who promises to make it right and get him a new phone. A day later the guys rescinds the offer and just offers a $80 credit. So he has some lovely loaner phone from Wind and a useless Q5 that they seem to expect him to pay for.

He has called Bell directly who have insisted its been blacklisted not once but twice due to a fraud investigation and that Wind sold him a previously stolen phone.

I have no experience with this and I'm not sure where he can go from here in terms of getting the phone/tab wiped off his account. He wants nothing to do with Wind after this experience and I can't say I blame him, it's got me reconsidering doing business with them too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently they sold it as new, Wind franchises get all of their phones from a central supplier that head office deals with. The phone did have someone else's info in the sense that when someone tried to BBM him the picture was of some random chick and was in retrospect probably the girl whose phone it was before him. The package was not opened but only was sealed by a single clear round tape sticker, and does not look factory sealed. He never saw it come out of plastic, it was already unwrapped when the girl took it out. He bought it at one of the Oakville ones.

I will get the IMEI from him, thanks for any offers of help. Assuming Wind refuses to make it right, does he have any recourse? I don't know what to tell him except trying small claims court.

Edit: He said the IMEI matches the paperwork. I'm going to get him to forward it to me and I will PM it to you later OilSlick.

Any ideas on what the hell he can do if Wind keeps giving him the runaround? I can barely wrap my head around the bullshit here. They basically sold him a stolen phone somehow and now expect him to pay off his full tab balance for it even though its totally loving useless. Wasn't there some government body for disputes or something?

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 14, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok I'll refer him to that then. I just can't believe this even happened in the first place. What kind of idiot offers to replace his phone then walks it back and offers some lovely little credit while also demanding he pay the tab on the stolen phone they loving sold him as brand new. Unreal. That's some poo poo I would have expected from Rogers.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
He's already talked to the office of the president and everyone is just passing the buck. He was offered a $80 service credit and they didn't even bother to send him a new phone. I told him to contact the papers and the CCTS, he already got a response from the Toronto Star so hopefully that spurs Wind to stop being a bunch of scumbags.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

spoof posted:

It's been fairly popular to get a Koodo plan with a number in MB or SK, then port in your ON number while keeping the same, cheap, plan. There's been rumblings for a that they would kick people off those plans with out of market numbers, but I hadn't heard of it actually happening. As long as you don't try to do anything that involves an agent, you should be fine. I used a positive tab balance to buy a phone through Koodo's online portal and kept my plan fine after that.

Is this easy to do? Google leads me to two different locked forum threads about it and a lot of it seems to be "well maybe depends on the person you get".

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Order a SIM from Koodo's online shop. When it arrives, call in and activate it, giving them a Saskatoon address.

Like any Saskatoon address will do (public library or etc)? What then just port my existing phone number and I'm good to go?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Yep. And sign up for e-bill (though I think it's by default now.)

Get a new Saskatoon number from them on the phone, then go sign up for self-serve and port your number.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl. I can't find a spot on their website to order a SIM so I guess I'll try to get one in store.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got that Koodomobile SK plan, was pretty easy to do. I can't believe how hard the telcos gently caress Ontario consumers, the lovely plan they had me on before I changed it was like $30 a month and only came with 100mb of data. To get nearly the same thing as the SK plan was more than $100 a month here.

I was pretty happy with Wind out here in the Niagara region, its mostly flat land so the signal was rarely an issue when you're just walking around or whatever. Unfortunately the second you go anywhere in doors it drops down to crap and the latency was always pretty bad. It wouldn't even work in my grocery store, let alone a mall or hospital. With Koodo having LTE is really nice, just even simple web page loads feel more like I'm at home on my cable connection. With Wind the latency was so bad it would be like 5+ seconds before the page even started to load after sending the initial request.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

How easy? I guess you cant keep your number, can you

Walked into a Koodo store, got the cheapest plan possible. Just asked for a SIM card/plan with an Ontario #, they're all wise to the SK stuff now so its pointless trying it anywhere except for Bestbuy or something. Don't put the Koodo SIM card in until you port your other phone number over at the end. Went home, used the email invite they send to sign up for self-serve, switched the weird number they gave me to an SK # and then changed my plan to the SK plan. Waited til the end of my billing cycle. The system will show you can only change your number every 90 days but it really just means until your new billing cycle. I then ported my existing # from Wind over, done. I might get double billed for one month but it should correct itself next month and its a small price to pay for much better service even if it doesn't.

If you can get Bestbuy or someone to give you an SK # with Koodo at the beginning then you can just pick the SK plan on self-serve and port right away, ignore the rest of that. There are step by step instructions on Howardforums and google.

If they ever catch on to this or try to change the plan I can just move back to Wind, no harm no foul. Unlocked phones are the best. They will probably close this loophole soon since the CBC article and other media have picked up on it, I wanted to make sure I got in before that happened.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 10, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
That should all work fine and yeah they can sign you up (they do a credit check FYI) and give you a SIM right there. I did the port trick with the $48 plan last week without issues but check howardforums via google just to be sure as the loophole has been publicized a few times lately and is sure to be on the chopping block soon. I doubt Telus retentions will do much for you but its worth a phone call.

quote:

The biggest roadblock these days is getting on the SKMB plan to begin with

I didn't even bother trying to be honest, I just signed up for the garbage Ontario plan, changed the phone number they gave me to an SK number, did a self-serve switch to the SK plan and waited until the new billing period (10 days) then ported my Ontario phone number over the SK one. He's lucky though, he can just get the plan as normal.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 17, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

They don't always do a credit check. I just gave 'em my credit card, they probably authed something like 500 on it and figured OK he's not broke, whatever. I didn't authorize any credit check and as far as I know none was done.

I did mine at Koodo and they did a credit check but Bestbuy/etc might be different. In any case I thought it was worth mentioning to him.

Oh and I'm super happy with the Telus/Bell network, I get great speeds even on this old crappy Nexus 4 without LTE enabled and I can actually use my phone in doors now. Wind was awesome out here as long as you never went into a building :(

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 17, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
They probably just did a soft inquiry where they verify your identity/etc, that would be why it didn't show up on your credit report. It technically comes from you so it won't show up on your report.

I'm not sure why you care so much anyway. If you got away without one then hooray you're special but its not the norm, in fact its their policy to check every new monthly customer.

Sheesh!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was always impressed with Wind out in the Niagara area but its a ton of flat land and they had upgraded everything. Whenever I went to any city or inside a big store it went to complete poo poo. I swapped over to Kodoo awhile ago with that SK plan trick, the difference is night and day. I can use my phone pretty much anywhere and I'm only paying like $7 more a month.

Wind was great for saving money for awhile but their signal/band is just garbage in any city.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wind didn't have the assets or enough pull with creditors to get the kind of capital financing needed to advance much further in a reasonable time table vs its competitors...but yeah it feels like a pyrrhic victory considering that Shaw will probably butcher their value.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
They even noted it in the acquisition PR, they want the quad-play bundle bullshit badly. The only thing Wind had going for it was the value, the network itself is awful unless you live in a totally flat area with few buildings. Maybe once they deploy on that new spectrum things will improve but then I'm sure Shaw just try to milk people and ruin it.

Oh well I went to Koodo awhile ago and its been fantastic. Wind let me save a bunch of money over the years though so no regrets.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

RIP SK Plan.

Koodo now has this on the terms for new activations:

"Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents only. Subscribers who move to another province will be migrated to a rate plan available in that province with similar services at the monthly rate plan then available."

Which I assume means they'll migrate you to the $90 equivalent plan once you change address or number.

They've had that warning since October but no one has been switched that I know of.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So is there no way to get an unlocked Galaxy S7 in Canada? I can only seem to find carrier options. I'm with Koodo and just want to sim swap. I like my plan and hate contracts, I would rather buy it outright and be able to take it wherever I want in the future.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So how do I get voicemail notifications with a Nexus 5x on Koodo? There must be some magical incantation I'm missing but this poo poo has never worked for me. I've gone into the Settings for the Phone app and ensured it says "Your Carrier" under Voicemail. Nothing. In the Notifications menu I can't find anything related to voicemail. It just doesn't work and I don't know what else to try.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wind is fine if you're outdoors in a flat area with few obstructions and pretty much poo poo everywhere else unless you happen to be right beside a tower. I did it for a long time because it saved me literally thousands of dollars vs Rogers/etc but it was never "good". Any time I went indoors it just pooched. As soon as I could get that Koodo/SK plan I jumped ship and the performance is night and day.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Yeah a big problem for wind is that they couldn't afford enough towers and combining that with their high frequency spectrum, it means you get awful interior coverage everywhere just about.

It sounds dumb but I share a shopping list app with my spouse and having coverage in the grocery store has been really handy in case they want to add to the list while I shop.

I also just remembered the most frustrating issue I had with wind: I'd have like four or five bars of coverage and data would be at 2g speeds or less quite often (I know how slow that is and I'm not exaggerating) - even outside.

Yeah its funny, I never really cared at work/home because of wi-fi but trying to use data at a mall or the grocery store just pissed me off. I only needed it in a few places but I really needed it for price comparison and etc. Sometimes I would have full coverage but a pageload would still take 40 seconds or just fail outright. Anyways Wind was great for saving me money while other carriers had absurd plans so no real regrets but I hope they get that new LTE spectrum phased in ASAP.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Risky Bisquick posted:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-limited-time-4gb-40-plan-promo-launching-october-25th-2050037/

Before was $38 for can Calling / can +us texting / 2gb data
Now it's $40 for prov calling / can+us texting / 4gb data

:prepop: This company is unreal

Even cheaper than my old SK plan and all I lose is Canada-wide Calling. Generally all I need if I'm outside of Ontario is email access. If I have to make a few phone calls while roaming once every few years then I'll just eat the costs since I'm still way ahead on the plan savings. Great plan and it will save me another $10 a month for the same service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So wait, won't Koodo charge you an early termination fee on the contract? I guess I don't get the deal. A friend of mine has an iPhone 4 and I want to help her find something decent but the 6s starts at like $749 on the store.