Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Cacator posted:

I want to get the Galaxy S3 but still have 13 months left on my current contract with Telus. I can trade in my current phone (HTC Desire) and get a $40 credit for my cancellation fee and get it before July 10 for their dumb "no activation fee" promotion or I can go through retentions and possibly see if they can offer a better plan (currently on $65 with 1 GB data and 200 minutes etc.). What can I realistically expect from retentions, given that I am a lazy man and would prefer not to do it?

I considered switching to Wind but I want LTE.
I got 200 minutes, unlimited texts, a bunch of long distance thrown in and 6gb for $60. That was with like an hour of bargaining. My buddy spent four hours and got pretty much that for $55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Grimarest posted:

Can I bargain on offers like that for unlimited text messaging for the data plan? I'm kinda bad at haggling :(.

Yes and refuse to switch until a rep offers unlimited texting. If they don't, hang up and try again.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

MrZig posted:

Does anyone know if Bell is going to release Android 4.1.1 OTA anytime soon for the Galaxy Nexus? Or should I just root/rom it?

Is this a serious post

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

terriyaki posted:

Finally got around to trying to get Telus to match the Koodo 6GB super plan. The rep I spoke with matched the plan feature-wise but couldn't match it price-wise and wanted $67 before taxes.

Guess I'm moving on to Koodo!

Moving from Telus to Telus because Telus couldn't match the plan offered by Telus aw yeah

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Kolta posted:

My fiance works for Telus and I work for Koodo and you would not believe the differences and impossibilities that the same company has. Same company, two complete different philosophies.

I'm a contractor for Telus and you would not believe the amount of money they spend choppering me into a cell site before we realise that the Telus landline guys are already there and we have to fly back. At $1000 an hour.

This is why your bill is so high.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You should be able to call up Bell and get them to disable roaming from their end I think

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No Nexus 4s officially support LTE. Unofficially, they only actually work on Canadian networks.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

THE LUMMOX posted:

Well guys I have a pickle for you and I'm hoping someone can help. Here's my sitch.

I have an unlocked HTC Desire HD A1919. It was purchased in Korea.

Telus/Koodo. Their simcards can't pickup any network at all.
Rogers/Fido can, but they can only pickup voice/sms. 3G data won't work. The reps at two stores had no idea wtf was going on and as far as they explained it, if it could get voice it should be able to get 3g data.

Is the problem that my phone runs on a different frequency than Canada or is there a problem with my phone? Is there anything I can do to make it receive 3G data in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

The internet says that this phone works for GSM (2G Rogers), and HSPA 900/2100 in versions sold outside North America. And yeah, that means Rogers 2G and nothing else.
3G in all three companies is HSPA 850/1900 for both data and voice, which that phone doesn't have at all (in non-North America versions).

2100 is what they're using for LTE (which that phone also doesn't have).

Sucks, dude.

OilSlick posted:

This isn't always true. With unlocked phones that aren't from the original carrier, the only thing that can be guaranteed to work is voice and text. Other services, such as data, are not guaranteed to work. So yeah, that's normal. Not much you can do about it.

I don't know anything about going from other countries TO Canada, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, as long as you were paying for the service and had the proper APN settings

ante fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 17, 2013

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

THE LUMMOX posted:

Thanks for the help guys I'll post in the Android phone thread and see what happens. Not holding out too much hope.

Your phone physically does not have the antennas it needs to work properly in Canada.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I put LTE in Courtenay last summer.

If it doesn't work very well, well, we got very drunk in the Fluid Lounge pretty much every night

edit: The River Heights Motel was also where we stayed, if price matters to you. It was pretty decent.

ante fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 27, 2013

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I like how that article mentions the Huawei equipment security concerns while the fact that Telus and Bell are also fully invested in Huawei systems flies under the radar.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Because then people will realise how much they're actually paying for their phones, stop upgrading every year and start buying used :ssh:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The CRTC isn't letting them bid on it. Which means the options are Verizon having the spectrum, or... nobody.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't think you understand what spectrum is?

An incumbent would need to buy (license/register/reserve/whatever) a portion of the spectrum (frequency) that their phones and towers would communicate on without interfering with other providers(/aircraft/whatever uses radio frequency).

ante fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 25, 2013

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yes sorry I lost my english there i am dumb

In that case, more spectrum means more capacity, and depending on the frequency, better building penetration and range. In addition to the whole monopoly thing

ante fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 25, 2013

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Italy's Chicken posted:

the current cell networks are built by American firms

What?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I started building the Bell HSPA network in northern BC in 2009 and am currently building the Telus LTE in southern BC. I work for Telus (west)'s prime contractor, which is pretty huge and all over North America, but it started and is still based in Surrey, BC.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, the big relay up there is still in use. One of my co-workers was up there setting up a new hop just last weekend.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is there anything stopping them from going, "lol jk" right at the time of the auction and buying up everything they can? That would neatly sidestep the anti-American sentiment the telcos are trying to stir up.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Man, you something is pretty hosed when plans are going backwards, not forwards.

I went on contract in January '12 and got unlimited texting, 100 min talk, 50 min long distance, voicemail, caller id, 6gb for $60

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Is that what the new iOS looks like?

Is it marketed for four-year-olds?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Have they said what the cause was, or is that never going to see the light of day?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Lexicon posted:

As cogent and nuanced as that was, if you have an actual reasoned refutation, I'd love to hear it.

Rogers Wireless made 6.2 billion dollars in the first six months of this year.

19M is not only less than 1 percent of their quarterly revenue, it's only about 10 percent of their growth in the last year alone.

Yeah, it's a lot of money and some heads or going to roll, but it's tiny in the scheme of things. And if you don't think they're just going to offset it with a small bump on new contracts (with the others following suit), you're deluded.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Direct customers to call Rogers and complain. Make sure they actually do. The companies really do take that poo poo seriously. They'll rush a new site through the pipeline.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
In this thread goons freak about shipping times going from three weeks to two weeks and back to three weeks

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Plenty of phones use multiple carriers' frequencies and can be unlocked. Just do the research for the particular phone you want. Telus uses 850/1900 band, 2100 for LTE.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How the gently caress do you get unlimited data

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
eBay?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't if anyone else saw that "Speeding tickets are bullshit" (paraphrased) viral video that got passed around Vancouver last year, but it basically demolished any arguments for issuing speeding tickets on certain roads. It (along with a really easy to use form that sent a letter to your local MLA) actually got the guys in charge to do some auditing.

Any chance that something like that would push Ottawa to (try to) nationalize the telecomm industry? Would that even be a good thing?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Sounds like by offering a credit, Wind is acknowledging a fuckup. Case for the CCTS?

edit beaten

ante fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 14, 2014

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

rt_hat posted:

Get a Nexus, I got a used Nexus 5 for $200 my girlfriend this past Monday and she's pretty happy with it.

One thing you might need is a micro sim card, it's a smaller form factor than the normal sized one that's probably in your existing phone.

The people at the Virgin Mobile kiosk gave me a sim card free when I was getting PAYG set up for my mom. However my girlfriend is on Telus and had to pay $11.50 for the micro sim. I think it depends on the mood of the sales rep.

I cut my sim card down with scissors, too. There are templates you can print off that make it pretty easy

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You don't need any special cutting tools for SIM cards. Just print out a template, then scissors or a knife.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
http://www.gosoftworks.com/GoSoftWorks/NanoSIM_files/nanosima4.pdf

?

I have only done it to get a microSIM, though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
AliExpress/eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Many phones will be locked, but most are unlockable.

Buy a used one off Craigslist. I got an old old smartphone for $30 that worked fine with cyanogenmod for hotspots. No lte, though, you'll have to spring for a slightly better one.
Keep in mind when buying that Rogers and telus networks are different frequencies, so some phones will only support one or the other.