Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
Perhaps this should be added to the OP for people that want to sign-up with either WIND or Mobilicity. It lets you check the signal strength in your area. Although the caveat is that it's crowd sourced so some of the low traffic areas may not be up to date.

http://www.coveragemapper.com/map.php?mccmnc=302490

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

What is the best (longest battery life mainly) smart phone that wind has? I am with them currently with a pay as you go flip phone and I get good reception where I live (Hamilton, Westdale area).

From reviews, the Galaxy Note 2, then the Galaxy S III, then the Razr V. The Blackberrys' have decent battery life too, but really who wants a bunch of end-of-lifed Blackberrys.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

They don't list that $40 under their pay your way plan, so I have no idea how I would go about getting it.

I'd really like to just walk into a store and walk out with a SIM for my Nexus 4.

All of Wind's plans can be done on prepaid. "Pay your way" is just their pay-as-you-go plan, for their monthly plans ask for the "pay before" option in store. Then you just top up your account each month to keep your account active. But Wind does charge $25 for a sim card though, so yeah they kinda rip you off there.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Tedgewick posted:

I'd love some help with an upcoming cellquandry if anyone has advice to give. I'm someone's tech support department and their 3 year Rogers contract is winding down in March. Currently they have an iPhone 3gs and love it. They are not tech savvy enough to use a lot of data or care if its delivered at 3g or 4g speed so the plan is to keep the current handset to save money and avoid another contract. So I'm going to be the one to haggle on their behalf with Rogers' retention to get a better month-to-month deal than their current and expensive free evenings after 9pm plan. Can someone give me a rough ballpark figure of a good value retention plan these days? What is the going price for a mostly-voice, low text, low data use plan in Ontario?

I've been on the Mobilicity $33 Friends and Family unlimited everything plan forever so I have no idea what things actually cost anymore. Thanks.

Don't count on Rogers's retention giving you much of anything if you aren't willing to go on contract. Just have them switch to one of the big 3 flanker brands. For example Koodo has a $30 a month plan with 150 Canada wide minutes, unlimited SMS and MMS, 200MB of data, and Caller ID/Voicemail is included. Probably can't do much better from the big 3 at that price level even through retentions.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does anyone in the Ottawa/Gatineau area have words to say about WIND's coverage here? I'm finally free of my indentured servitude to Bell, and I'm looking to switch providers.

On a less serious note I still don't understand how the big 3 haven't been dispossessed by a massive popular upheaval yet. We will burn poo poo if the Canucks lose, but being held in a chokehold and bled dry for the rest of our lives by some of the richest people on Earth? No problem.

Check coveragemapper.com for an idea of what WIND's reception quality is like in your area.

Most people don't switch to the small 3 even if they are in their coverage areas. Either because they can't use an iPhone or perception of bad reception or of course are locked into a three-year contract. That and I think there's also a perception that WIND, Mobilicity, and Public are for "poors" and students. I work in Toronto's financial district, and a lot of my co-workers won't switch because hey "I can afford premium service".

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
Given how apathetic most people are about carrier pricing and three-year contracts. I'm not surprised at all if they'd be willing to just suck it up if their bills went from $60-$70 a month to $80-$90. People love their phones to the point, where demand for mobile service is pretty inelastic.

The new entrant carriers haven't made much of a dent on the market even with unlimited everything at bargain basement pricing. Cause it seems the thing people care about the most are: 1. Network quality and having reception everywhere, even if they are only in the boonies like 1% of the time. 2. Getting the latest shiny phone for a cheap upfront cost. Whether they're getting gouged relative to the rest of the world is not high on their care list.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

About those three year contracts.

I haven't had time to read all the details, but this looks at first glance like a decent start.

The Big 3 can easily maneuver around this, they'll just switch to a tab system and get rid of fixed-term contracts. Fido for example has already done this.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
If carriers are sucessfully held to two-year contracts (I think they might weasel out of it by arguing tabs aren't contracts/committments). Then we'll see them raise either rate plans and/or the upfront costs of the phone. Fido sells the Galaxy S4 for $450 on a two-year contracts as a current example. Going forward, it's pretty likely high-end phones will end up being $300+ on a two-year plan.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005
Verizon offers $700-million for Wind, holds talks with Mobilicity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/us-business/verizon-offers-700-million-for-wind/article12815327/

Things are getting interesting here, Verizon certainly has the resources to wreck the big 3, and build a robust network if they can combine Wind and Mobilicity. However, you could've made the same argument about Vimpelcom, and they want out bad.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

eXXon posted:

Wow indeed, the cost of the current $40 promo plan (with voicemail) plus US roaming ($15) would be less than pretty much every US unlimited plan, and you get unlimited everything in both countries.

I'd bet that it'll be either unlimited EDGE data or like 500MB of HSPA+ then throttled down to like 128Kbs thereafter.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

slidebite posted:

So it looks like my new quadcopter software needs android 4+ so it's yet another excuse to buy a new phone.

I'm looking at a 2014 moto g

http://www.gizmag.com/new-moto-g-2014-review/33680/
http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-MOTO-G-16GB-UNLOCKED-Smartphone/product_1013953_2-CA_1_20001

Thanks very much... again! :)

The Moto G Staples is selling is not the new Moto G that was just released in the US. The new Moto G hasn't been released yet in Canada.

Phone Arena Comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

So aside from Wind, is there any "budget" plan that will get me a fair amount of data (I do a lot of RDP on the train to work on my office desktop) that anyone would recommend? I consider budget to be anything at or under $50. I don't see myself leaving the GTA so I was going to try Wind out. Heck, it's no contract so I may try it just to see if I'm happy with it anyway, but it can't hurt to solicit advice. Either way I'm going to buy my own iPhone since I don't want to be locked into anything long-term.

Nope, not even close for the big 3 (or flanker brands) on any in-market plans. The best you'll be able to do is the $55 - 5GB Koodo Manitoba/Saskatchewan plan, ymmv on jumping through the hoops to get that plan outside of those places. Either that or work in mobility for one of the big 3. Bell Mobility employees get 50% off any consumer plan.