Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just left rogers for koodo.

$40/month for unlimited talk/text, voicemail and 10gb data. That actually seems...kinda reasonable?

Now please tell me how koodo actually sucks cause this seems to be good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah the plan is $50 on their website. But I wanted to ask some questions so I went to my local mall that had a koodo kiosk and they had a sign saying $40 for 10gb if you bring your own device so :shrug:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/TELUSsupport/status/1445829760320348170

Yup. Mine is back now at least.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sweet, got my presto fare covered (one-way) :cool:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Speaking of Koodo, they're doing $60 for 20GB a month. Seems like a pretty good deal for a data plan

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hot date tonight! posted:

This year is like the 6th time I've carrier switched on Black Friday. It really does seem insane that they encourage this, especially since all the brands are just two companies. Why are they giving me a thousand dollar phone to switch between their two subsidiaries? How is this even making them money? The bring your own device plans are often not even cheaper so you may as well take the free/discount phone. It's all so wacky.

It's so when regulators come knocking they can be like, look how many people switch each year! Competition!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What is wifi calling? Isn't it the same thing as making a call through whatsapp/discord/whatever?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wait so Telus owns Koodo AND public mobile? Why do they have two budget brands?

If the service coverage is the same it looks like public has the best offer available to me; $34 for 30gb at 5G speed, vs everyone else offering $34-35 for 30gb at 4g speeds.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just realized that public mobile's 40gb@5G / $34 offer is actually 40gb / 90 days, not per month. Sneaky sneaky.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

"data usage resets every 90 days" makes it sounds like you get 40gb for those 90 days? Would be great it if someone who actually signed up for this plan can confirm.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bilirubin posted:

how do those subscriptions work? Folks happy with their Public connectivity?

See this to me is a reasonable compromise between data and price. $55 for 90 gigs seems great but I barely scratch my 11 each month so, why just go for more? As an experiment I tried streaming spotify in my car (now that I have one with bluetooth) and that used vanishingly little data.

I switched to Public this past Black Friday and I've been pretty happy with them. My previous providers have been Rogers, Fido, Koodo and Virgin in that order and they're pretty comparable to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mediaphage posted:

i assume i already have this plan?

I have the same plan as you. The new plan is $5 less for 4G max speed and less data. You're looking at the 5G tab.