Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Lone Rogue posted:

The Network Builder is actually the best way to go. WIND actually plans network upgrades based on where the heaviest requests are. So just keep requesting it. Kick a friend to do it too.

Truth is, some of the towers we've put up are weak right now. There's a thousand factors for that. Honestly the system is to put up towers in new areas and then strengthen the signals after. So Stoney Creek isn't really as big of a goal unless people in Stoney Creek complain about the network.

So yeah, this is your best friend: http://care.windmobile.ca/Support/Network/Default.aspx

I tried Wind for a while but couldn't get any reception in north Oshawa near the college/university. It looks like this has been an ongoing issue that people have complained about for a while now and nothing's been done about it. I never got anywhere with their network builder. There was a fairly extensive thread about it on the Wind website but it looks like they got rid of the forums. The CSRs I dealt with at Wind were very rude and not understanding of my problem at all. I ended up putting a 7/11 Speakout SIM in my Galaxy Nexus and haven't had any signal issues since. Not being able to get a proper data plan with them kind of sucks but the unlimited browsing is fine for email, Facebook etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Lone Rogue posted:

Colleges are notorious for bad signal even with the other phone carriers unless they put specific emphasis on having towers around the campus so just imagine why WIND would be even weaker.

Ah yes, you guys. I'm sorry but you guys don't seem to understand the complexity and cost of network setup. Just reading the thread there was a ton of, "WHY ARE YOU GUYS SCREWING US OVER" posts. These things take time.

Cell phones are actually devices not meant to work indoors but due to public demand, every company in the world is expected to have signal strength to penetrate several layers of concrete wall. Bathe in the radiation, baby.

Fair points but Wind Mobile is actively advertising the area as being a Wind Home zone when there's no signal there at all. Pretty much every other service provider gets SOME coverage in the area (like you go outside the building or whatever) but with Wind I always had to drive at least 1KM south of the college before I could make or receive any phone calls/texts. I'm sorry but in my opinion Wind is outright lying about covering an area they have 0 coverage in and that makes them lovely; especially after almost 2 years of that area being a "Wind Home" zone. Either fix the problem or mark the area as "planned expansion" until you get your poo poo together.

Lone Rogue posted:

You get 14 days and 30 minutes to test out a signal in your area and see if the phone meets your needs. If it doesn't in that time you return the phone and wash your hands.

I was pretty consistently lead to believe that the issue was known about and being worked on until it was too late for me to just quit; then I started getting these more realistic answers like yours. I'm sure it was just Wind employees trying to save face but I felt like I was lied to so I eventually I just reported them to the BBB and paid off my phone (and the folks at Wind and/or their collections agents were assholes about collecting that debt as well). Other than one girl in the retention department I got to talk to once the rest of the CSRs were assholes that barely spoke English (I heard the front line support is based out of Egypt now).

ODC fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 20, 2012

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Lone Rogue posted:

One of the biggest issues with how we sell cell phones and it's something I've tried to tell other people but the word doesn't really travel fast enough is that you never tell a customer you can get coverage in the WIND HOME zone. You tell them that those are the areas you can connect to the WIND network. There's a difference. I agree with people getting pissed because they were told the phone will work in this area in Ottawa but that's not the truth. The truth is, that's the area where the phone can connect to the network. If the signal strength is weak, it's weak. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And I know it exists where you're saying. Had a friend in Ottawa say it worked, just terribly.

I absolutely loving hate the Cairo call centre. Hate them. Half of the work in Windsor is cleaning up after their mistakes, they treat customers like poo poo and there's nothing anyone can do about it because they somehow achieve higher QA scores than us and QA scores say nothing about actual customer service. Every person I hear from says they were rude and being rude on the phone is supposed to be an immediate red card. Unless they go through agents like toilet paper it's all a scheme to me to keep the Cairo centre open due to how cheap it is and how expensive it is to drop contracts.

The Philippines have been decent enough and for the most part I think the Windsor call centre is top notch. However since they sometimes forget to give out case ID numbers or give self serve options or close every case underneath the case they just made they get scored down and told they aren't working well enough even if the call they just had cleaned up a bunch of poo poo caused by the Cairo agent.

I could keep going about those miserable fucks. They make everyone else's job harder and they pull the company down. Front line support is Cairo, Phillipines and Windsor but they continue to toss Level one agents in Retail Support (several have quit because of it. They wanted to do L1 calls and the call centre told them it was move out of the department or leave).

Oh, and half of the agents hired for the WIND stores are loving terrible as well. I don't understand how this country could have a job shortage but WIND seems to hire nothing but absolute idiots for their stores.

All in all, sorry to hear you dealt with some lies or people smudging the truth to you and I wish there was more transparency. I just also wish customers would stop acting like WIND starts up and suddenly we're supposed to be just as well equipped as Rogers and Bell but cheaper. I dealt with the same poo poo when I worked at TekSavvy.

I'm in Oshawa not Ottawa... The funny thing is that I went in to Wind knowing there would be some issues but I didn't expect the issues to be so bad up there. I'll admit it worked well enough when I was in a large downtown area but once I was at the college I'd either get no signal whatsoever or sometimes I'd get a totally unusable Wind Away signal. The fact that agents would talk to me like I'm a dumb rear end college student that was just upset about a weak signal inside the school was especially frustrating. I tried power cycling the phone on outside with a fully charged battery and still nothing.