Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
If it's an android phone, you can try turning off Mobile Data from the phone and trust that the option is buried deep enough in the settings that he won't accidentally re-enable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Kreez posted:

There's no Wind/Mobilicity in Montreal.

I think Videotron snapped up the equivalent AWS spectrum in Montreal.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Props to Koodo for rolling out Jelly Bean in a timely fashion. It took them months to ok ICS, but I got the notification for the 4.1.1 update this afternoon.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Everything I've read has indicated that that carriers have the ability and propensity to delay updates that even hardware manufacturers have signed off on. :colbert:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The S.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

That's why the real growth in the Canadian cell phone industry is in... financial services?

It would actually be neat if Public Mobile was pushing those services through their subscribers' phones, but it looks like they'll be issuing their own physical Mastercards and do the rest through their retail outlets.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Lexicon posted:

It's not availability so much as cost that's the issue...

Most Canadians would have an aneurism if they saw what the rest of the world pays for cheese and how much higher quality it is.

there was this one cheese that I really liked as a kid, called Roucoulons. My family went on a trip to France after my parents paid off their mortgage, and you could get wheels twice the size there for half the price.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

lol. You're not getting jack poo poo for data unless you go with Telus. Telus has the best footprint and speed so there's your choice.

Koodo is a Telus brand. They use the same equipment and have the same coverage. The only thing that differs is the kind of plans.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Thanks captain obvious. You're here to save the day again.

You're welcome. You seemed to be having a little bit of trouble figuring it out in your posts.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The Current had a segment on the mobile telecom market in Canada recently, and the different people they had on estimated that the big three incumbents are carry 90-94% of subscribers in the country.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Is anyone familiar with the situation with Shaw's unused bandwidth? Has the government put any restrictions on them selling it off to one of the big incumbents?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Oh and most providers with a tab system such as Koodo allow you to build up your tab if you don't currently have one. Koodo lets you build up to $150 in positive tab credit so next time you go to buy a phone your tab hit won't be as bad if you end up leaving early.

That only becomes helpful if you have an expensive plan, though. My plan only costs me $25 a month, so it would take five years to get to a positive tab.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Martytoof posted:

"BCE Inc. says it is likely to scale back efforts to bring advanced cellphone services to rural Canada if large foreign telecoms like Verizon Communications Inc. are allowed to enter the Canadian market under preferential rules."

:lol: -- a threat

Rogers lowered their bandwidth cap the moment Netflix announced their entry into the Canadian market. The only way to break our telcos out of this pattern is with a heavy stick.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I went to a Koodo kiosk on the off-chance they'd have some Nexus S-sized screens protectors after this happened:

They didn't, predictably, but the employee did recommend buying a defunct model off ebay or craiglist and trying to salvage the screen/digitizer from it. Is that type of repair job likely to work in the long term if I go to some local repair shop with the two phones in tow, or should I buy a screen film to hold stuff in place for now and just expect to have to buy a new phone relatively soon?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

My uncle's Fido contract is ending, and they're offering him a Moto X if he goes for an unlimited canadian talk/text plan + 1GB of data for $50, but he wants an outside opinion before re-upping. Any red flags?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm not site how top gauge that, since he's only been a talk and text user until now, with some terrible Samsung phone running Froyo.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I use a smartphone without a data plan. Who are these people who get up in your grill for not using the internet? :psyduck:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

A contract that includes a new N5 will overvalue it, so if you decide to leave the carrier, the balance on the phone subsidy has the potential to be higher than the price Google charges.

e: to be a bit more specific Telus/Rogers/Bell consider the 16GB version a $500 phone.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 29, 2014

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Correct. A rare few phones are sold unlocked even through carriers, but that's mostly the case.

Of course $425 USD is up to ~$475 CDN right now so we're rapidly approaching the point a Nexus doesn't put you ahead. I got lucky and just ordered mine before the crash kicked in.

Google actually charges $350/$400 in CAD, so we aren't losing out because of the exchange rate yet.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Lobok posted:

I've heard it's because it's a day ending in Y.

No wonder the plans cheaper in Quebec!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The CRTC has slapped Rogers' wrists for locking small regional players into exclusive roaming contracts. This bit at the end caught my eye.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crtc-seeks-to-ban-exclusivity-clauses-in-wireless-roaming-contracts-1.1940926

quote:

But OpenMedia.ca said the price caps mandated by Industry Canada are still 3.5 times higher than what independent wireless providers are paying south of the border.

Wind Mobile told a Senate committee in May that it's being charged $1,000 per gigabyte of data for customers roaming on a larger network.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crtc-seeks-to-ban-exclusivity-clauses-in-wireless-roaming-contracts-1.1940926#ixzz39GvGcGcG

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

grack posted:

The special case is that the government is completely gutless when dealing with telecommunications service providers.

The US, too. http://arstechnica.com/staff/2014/11/atts-outdated-unlock-policies-cost-it-a-loyal-customer-me/1/

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Scudworth posted:

Koodo's 2nd cheapest plan is also 300/300, but country-wide calling and unlimited worldwide text/MMS.
And oh yeah it's $40.

Bell how... how... why? :what:

If you check their website, it's the plan for people who want the latest i/Galaxy S phone on subsidy. Koodo's equivalent is the Tab Large plan, which starts at $85 for unlimited minutes and 750MB of data.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Does anyone know how much of the monthly bill in a standard two-year contract actually goes towards paying off the phone? I mean, the big three all claim to be giving you a $485 subsidy on the various flavours of the iPhones 6, but how much are they paying for them wholesale?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

slidebite posted:

I bought my unlocked moto g at staples and they gave me a sim of my choice.

Speaking of, have they given the Moto G XT1034 the OTA upgrade to Lollipop? I'm on Koodo and it only updated to 4.4.4.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

If you are on wind have a moto x (2014)* and just got the lolipop update, for the love of god, do not loving run the update, it will brick your phone!

http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2t8mrd/moto_x_2014_wind_ota_update_pushed_also_my_phone/

* Not sure if its just the moto x or any wind android phone

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/01/22/wind-mobile-users-complaining-of-problems-with-moto-x-lollipop-soak-test/

quote:

“Yesterday we began testing Android 5.0 Lollipop by pushing out a beta upgrade to a small number of WIND Moto X (2nd Gen.) users in Canada. Some of those users are reporting issues with the test upgrade and we are actively looking into the cause. We’re asking the owners that have been impacted to return their affected Moto X to a WIND store for a replacement. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this causes.”

So the soak 100% bricked the phones. :shepface:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

It's happeningggggg.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Just got a notice for 5.02 on my Moto G. I'll see you on the other side.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

No issues issues for me, so far. One distinct improvement: I can play Threes while listening to something in Beyondpod without the latter being dumped out of memory after a few seconds.

On the other hand, I now have two Photos entries in my app drawer.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Koodo just waived the ~$42 balance on my tab with no explanation. Does anyone know why they'd do this? :shepface:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The prices Koodo lists for US roaming look like extortion. Is there any other way to get coverage without popping out the SIM for an American one?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

My dad wants to upgrade from his flipphone (!!!) to a Moto G gen 3 so that he can take it with him on a trip to France. When he walked into a Telus store, they told him that they would only sell it locked. Is there any way to unlock the phone, provided he buys it outright?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

spoof posted:

If he's going to buy it outright, may as well not get it from Telus since 1) he'll have to pay $50 to get it unlocked, 2) they only sell the 1GB RAM model. Spend the extra $50 and get the unlocked 2GB.

On the offchance, do you know who sells the 2GB version it in Quebec? I wasn't able to find anything that wasn't from a carrier.

e: besides Motorola, which is selling it on amazon.ca for the low, low price of $344.00. :jerkbag:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 30, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Not specifically about Micro-USB, but if you've got a phone with a type-C port, you should crosscheck any cable with this Google engineer's reviews. A lot of manufacturers are using cheap resistors that can't handle the increased voltage the standard allows.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

My dad has complained to me that his 3rd Gen Moto G (on Telus) hasn't received any of the Marshmallow security updates that it should have- the latest patch is from December 1st 2015. Does this sound like a problem on the carrier's end?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

So the Moto G4 Play that Canadian telcos are hawking is cobbled together from the discarded leftovers of the G3, right?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I get a $150 credit if I buy a phone from Koodo's online store, but their online selection seems to be complete trash right now. Anyone know if they'll refresh to a newer model of Moto G any time soon?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I turned on my LG G6 for the first time in a while and... it actually had the Android 9 OTA available. Congrats guys, it took over a year and a new major release stopped in the mean time, but the phone is finally running something newer than 8.0!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I got the Koodo retention call for 20GB of data yesterday and my roommate got it today. That's... a lot of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I suspect that they look for people who've been

1) regularly paying on time
2) aren't close to hitting their current cap

That way it's basically free money for them if you end up paying an extra five bucks a month or whatever.