Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Fido no longer offers per-second billing as of July 4

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/03/fido-shifting-towards-per-minute-billing-july-4th/

I just found this out, and is only suppose to apply to new accounts as of July 4. I signed up on July 2, so I'll be calling them up and asking them to verify my billing status.

e: According to wikipedia, they've also "cancelled" CityFido as of that date as well.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So on Tuesday I called Fido. It's been a week, they've hosed up multiple times on my order, and they still haven't shipped my phone...

...to get a response from an agent "apparently we're not shipping out any more phones until July 20, seems to be for all phones, not just the Galaxy Nexus".

The gently caress? Can someone explain this poo poo?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I even asked if I could pick the phone up from a store and they were all "nope"

Makes no sense to me why they have to ship it out if I have 3 Fido stores close to me that have stock.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I asked when I ordered mine and they said it would come unlocked.

e: Nope, I'm locked in. I can now add "provided false information" on the list of charges I can put against my one month hell with Fido

Migishu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 28, 2012

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so now I get to tell my story. My story of how I can prove that Canada has what I consider to be the worst mobile service in the world.

It all started off on July 2. After considerable thought, I chose to go with Fido, you know, before they cancel per-second billing. Figured they may be the cheapest option for me to go with for what I wanted (unlim text, some data), which ended up being about $30/m (gently caress you Canada).

Call the agent up, ask her if she can do something for me over the phone rather than picking one up from the store (which turns out to be my biggest mistake). She says she can give me an extra credit on my account for some stupid reason blah blah blah whatever. I ask her to make the order and to get my phone shipped out Galaxy Nexus).

3 days go by and I don't have a tracking number. Turns out, the agent didn't put my CC details into my account to bill me for the phone. Alright, poo poo happens, people make mistakes, get it done. He says that if I want the service to start now, to get a SIM from a Fido store and activate it. So I've at least not been without a phone for the past month.

5 days go by and still no tracking number (calling up almost every day as well), after which this is my only notification that the phone won't be shipping out until after the 20th July. I finally got confirmation recently that the phone that it was out of stock. So almost 2 weeks after I order the phone, they only then tell me its out of stock. I was able to walk away with my first month free, so not too bad there for their incompetence. The agent then tells me that if I don't have my tracking number on the 20th, to call back.

So I did. I should've called it quits here. I should've realized that any long term gains from this wouldn't be worth it. So I call up, and the agent doesn't know where it is. I ask if I can pick one up from a store, and they said yes. I go to a Fido store, and they say "no, you're locked out, you haven't been with us for 90 days". I call back and demand to speak to customer relations, who then informs me "your phone was never ordered in the first place".

So I've been calling up almost every day for the past 3 weeks, and no one had even noticed that a phone has never been ordered for me. 3 weeks of speaking with about 9 or 10 different people and having them all play around within my account, no one even saw that I did not have a loving phone on order. She also saw that no one bothered adding my credits to my account, so she went ahead and did that. Orders the phone, tells me I should see something by Tuesday, if not, call back.

So I do, and they then tell me that I should have one around August 8, not this week. I demand to speak with a supervisor, and she said she'd follow up with me over the week, and that she's requested some sort of rush be made out.

That rush? I get the phone on Friday. I can tell immediately that it's not a new phone, as it comes in a zip-lock bag that doesn't even fit the phone in it. I plug the phone in to charge.... to find it losing battery power an hour later. The phone doesn't charge. Now, I know there are some problems with Galaxy Nexus phones being somewhat DoA, but I can't help but feel they hosed up and sent me a known broken phone that was returned.

The final nail in the coffin is the Fido store refusing to do anything about it because they're all loving franchise stores, not corporate. Them also telling me the phone's locked (even when every other provider is unlocked by default for the GNexus) didn't exactly make me happy, especially after they told me that it was when I originally ordered the phone back on the 2nd.

I'm done. I'm loving done with this goddamn company. I'm returning the phone and telling them to shove it up their loving assholes. I've been overly patient, and their horrible service has just broken me. I've lived here for 8 years, and only within the past 2 years have I even needed a mobile phone, and only now have my needs increased, but this was certainly not what I was expecting.

I'll be searching other options. Most likely going to go with Virgin Mobile (since they're really the only other good option in Montreal). I did, however, walk away with a few lessons:

1: Never order a contract or phone over the phone (this should've been a given to me, but I have to learn it the hard way). Get it from the store. At least if something fucks up, they can fix it in store.
2: There is such a thing as being too patient.
3: Don't let customer service dick you around.
4: Don't sign up for a loving contract, you'll be better off
5: gently caress Fido
6: gently caress the Canadian mobile phone system

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I should also mention somewhere in my story that I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. The guy put me on hold for 20mins, said that he's still waiting for a supervisor, put me on hold for another 20, then hung up. When I called back, apparently the supervisor did speak to me, as there were notes in my account, something about being hard to understand or something. I called them on that bullshit.

gently caress em, going with Virgin once I have money on my CC. I've already confirmed with the guy that I won't get a cancellation fee or anything like that, but I am going to double check, god knows they've hosed me over enough already, what's one more?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BafflerMeat posted:

As previously stated by someone who probably knows more about this business than me: No accountability.

Reason: These companies don't record their calls. It's so they can get away with as much poo poo as humanly possible, without having any accountability for their actions. Something the CRTC (sic) should fix (that, and regulation, but like that will ever happen).

Got confirmation this morning that Fido received my phone, which means that all I need to do is call Fido and have them terminate my contract at the end of the billing cycle. I've already had customer relations write on the account "Does not have to pay any termination fees" on my account, just so they don't completely gently caress up and charge me $500 for the rest of the contract.

Once I call them up to terminate the contract, I'm free to port my phone number over to another provider. I'll probably end up going with Virgin since the girl in the store offered Voicemail/CallerID for $5 instead of $10.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I believe that's normal with excessive use

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Update to the Fido Saga:

Just called Fido to have the remaining charges removed from my account (as they said to call up when they appeared so they could reverse all charges). A sumable total of $250+

Woman on the phone: I don't see any note on your account that says to remove any charges, as we've already credited you back the cost of the phone

:shepicide:

I now get to humbly wait for their accounting folks to call me back tomorrow they won't

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Fido and Virgin are $20 for 50mins of talk and unlim text (though read my Fido customer service horror story before you decide). Koodo has $20 for 50min talk, but comes with caller ID ($5 addon for unlim texting). Public is $25 for the same thing.

If you're in one of those lucky places that get Wind mobile, for $25 you get Unlimited call and texting, and 100mb data.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So apparently this is a thing:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/09/canadians-to-the-crtc-get-rid-of-the-36-months-contract/

Would be nice. Too bad they can't add "No charging for services they're purposely removing" to that (Caller ID for example)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Come to Quebec, we have some pretty good cheese (though probably the worst deals on everything else)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was using my G2/GMS Hero until August. Still have it as my backup phone. Thing took a hell of a beating as well (I've dropped it so many times I've lost count, and it works perfectly).

The only thing I don't understand about it is that it has a hair underneath the screen. It didn't come with it there, but it's there now.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For Canada, that's actually not that bad.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Virgin have a couple of good deals going on at the moment

Up until god knows when, all plans come with CallerID and Voicemail10

$25/m gets you 100mins, unlimited weekends and evenings (7pm - 7am), Canadian long distance, and unlimited SMS/MMS
$30/m gets you the same, but 75mins instead of 100mins, but this plan comes with 100mb data (overage of $10/200mb)

For Canada, it's not bad. Still terrible compared to the rest of the world, but we're getting there (slowly)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Virgin are changing their plans as of the 25th January

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/01/17/heres-additional-details-on-virgins-new-silver-gold-and-platinum-monthly-plans/

Basic plan starts with 50mins, unlimited texts, Canadian Long Distance, Voicemail and Call Display, for $20 (no contract).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Quebec have had that for a while, glad to see it being pushed across Canada.

New plan status update: I changed my plan to the $30 virgin plan I listed earlier (with 100mb data), and a week in I realize I still barely use data, but it's still nice to have. Sure, if I had more I'd probably use it more, but I can easily survive with what I have (especially since Montreal has such a high wifi userbase downtown).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Canadians would be willing to pay more for cellular services, study says

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'd like to know who paid for this propaganda

Migishu fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 3, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tehloki posted:

1. If every carrier suddenly jacked their prices up by $20/month, would you:

a) Immediately toss your phone into the lake and move into the woods
b) Be willing to pay more for cell phone service

Honestly, even the $30/m I'm paying for my current service seems like a complete ripoff. I'm only paying for it because I started needing to use more. If they upped the price of my plan, I'd be more than happy to cancel my contract and go back to a pre-paid SIM.

I did it for 2 years, didn't cost me anywhere near what I'm paying now, I can easily do it again.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing I've learned about getting a phone in this country, it's NEVER do it online.

But that's just me.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Big 3 file to overturn parts of the CRTC Wireless Conduct Code, including the retroactive application on current contracts.

Who didn't see this one coming?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha wow, what bloody brilliant propaganda.

So, the Wall Communications Report, the first article states a drop of 13% across the board for services (5% decrease for plans with data) as of April 2013 (was not able to find the July report) (full April report here). That's a bit off the 40% they said in the report.

Wasn't able to find any source on the second statement.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I heard a radio ad today explaining how rates in Canada are actually less than comparable plans in the states, we should be happy you guys! :downs:

I saw that propaganda written in the 24h paper earlier in Montreal. I laughed. Not just because it's not correct, but because since almost everyone is complaining that the prices are too high, they know that this is bullshit. This isn't going to put out the fire, it's just adding fuel to it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All of them. By $5.

Why? Because they're getting rid of 3 year plans, this is their reaction.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Virgin are owned by Bell, so no.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I love how there's no way to comment on that article about how bullshit that story is.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it some kind of leaf or wood chip?

Bitcoins :haw:

Squibbles posted:

I was hoping it would be dried banana slugs or something but sadly: http://saltspringdollars.com/

That $2 note :stare:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Then Verizon decide they're going to join anyway.

Please?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Won't take effect until after he gets back though (starts October 31)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Choose the types of ads you'd prefer to receive.

Relevant targeted ads
Unfiltered random ads (opt-out)

Oh great, so either way, I'm still going to get ads? gently caress!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Browsing MobileSyrup just now, anyone heard of this? http://www.knowroaming.com/

Anyone think this is legit? Would be a nice way to say "gently caress you" to the big 3 when roaming outside of Canada.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you buy a block of 500mb from Virgin, it'll cost you $15.

Bit of a rip but if you use data frequently you might want to go for it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Apparently, Bell/Rogers/Telus are down at the moment...

again.

Yet my Virgin phone is able to call (and Videotron apparently works as well).

e: Telus confirmed, Bell/Rogers no information
e2: Bell may not be down. Confirmed with people that Bell is working for them.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 7, 2014

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think I know why my friend was saying Bell and Rogers were down too. Turns out his Bell phone decided it wanted to gently caress up at the same time as the Telus link went down (and his ex said that all 3 were down too, he works for Telus though so god knows how he thought he knew)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
KnowRoaming started shipping their SIM stickers out. Looking forward to hearing back about how well this works.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess the only 2 things I can say about this are

1. Completely unsurprised by the majority of it
2. Good to see Quebecor Media trying to expand out a bit. Give the others a run for their money.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest bullshit of the lot was "Oh, we have this 12mhz prime real estate in 3 bands, and we're not going to prevent anyone from buying all 3 bands because why would we want to do that?"

*Rogers eats everything up*

I would've liked to have seen some spread. Makes me worry for the future when phones get released with "700mhz Band A" restrictions because gently caress consumers.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Might be regional. Where do you live? My plan hasn't changed ($25/m with $15 data addon (500mb)). I'm in Montreal.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just for shits and giggles, I was bored at work and I thought I'd check out some Australian plans.

Note: Exchange rate for Australia is about 1:1, just a little higher (1AUD = .95CAD), but cost of living is also more expensive. Current minimum wage in Australia is $15.5, so consider that into effect.

Telstra have their most basic plan is $55 for $550 worth of calls (about 460mins), unlimited text, and 500mb data (no evenings/weekends). This is probably closer to $35-$40/m CAD after cost of living/exchange.

Telstra are the big telco in Aus, but hey, they have a shitload of competition. Their main direct competitor, Optus, has a $35/m plan that's 300mins, unlimited text, and 500mb data. Remember that voicemail and CallerID aren't options there, they're standard with every plan. Converted to CAD with cost of living, it's closer to $20CAD.

Finally, Vodaphone have a $35/m plan, $500 of calls (about 400mins, say), unlimited text (international and domestic), and 500mb data.

Most of these plans include 1gb data for $10 if you go over.

It just makes me even more depressed when I look at this. There is absolutely no reason for prices to be this high in Canada. If they want to talk about hazard pay, well, Australia has to put up with bush fires and disgusting heat during their summers, and they still pay way less than we do.

tl;dr: I tell you all what you already know, Canada's mobile presence is disgusting.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I stand by my point (but will edit it) :colbert: