Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

e: Regarding the Netflix DNS services I've been using Unotelly for some time now and have many friends also on it. The front end is a little klunky but it's reasonably priced and works well so that's another option.

Forgive me if these are stupid questions, but I'd really appreciate some advice from a complete phone neophyte :downs: but I was recommended I come to this thread for some real newbie questions. I've used cells for years but never had my own, they were always work issued.

Now things are changing and we're expected to supply our own phones with a whopping $50/month reimbursement stipend. I think I might be able to claim more above that possibly as a separate expense, but for recommendations $50 is probably where I am at for a ballpark budget.

I guess what I'm saying is I would like to find a provider that can give me appropriate service for $50/month. I guess I'm not dead set against buying a phone outright but if I could get one included on a 2 year contract I would probably prefer that.

I am using an old telus issue Samsung Fascinate 4G that has given my blindingly mediocre service.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_mdl_cd=SGH-T959HAPTLS&srchword=SGH-T959P

I talk around an hour or so a day on the phone, and typical data usage is "around" 300MB/month give or take. I need to be able to synch with MS Office, have good camera and preferably not break if you look at it the wrong way.

Recommendations for providers/phones? I live in Southern Alberta (Not Calgary).

I'd probably like to stick with an android based phone but other than that I'm not really picky. I've heard good things about the Nexus 5 but by no means am I sold on anything.

I have done some preliminary research and it looks like I'm probably realistically looking at around $60/month for appropriate plans, does that sound right? What are the typical taxes and fee bullshit on top of that for a typical bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's really interesting, thanks for the info. I don't have my own device though :( but I'd be all over that otherwise.

So I had an interesting chat with Telus.

My past 3 months history has me at an average of:

Approx 350MB/month
650 minutes/month, of which virtually all is prime time.

Telus tried to get me on a plan as an existing customer which = $rape$ $60 for unlimited voice Canada, Data extra.

When I asked about the $60 1000 min/500MB plan they said that's for new customers. When I said I am a new customer and I can just as easily go to another carrier, she agreed I have a point. After my CSR talked to loyalty they eventually yielded and said I could also get the "new customer" plan. ($60/1000min/500MB)

Turns out there is still 1 year on my contract so I'd be stuck with my existing phone for at least 8 months, at which time they'd upgrade me. Bonus though, I get to keep my existing number which, I must admit, I would prefer but it wouldn't hurt my feelings tremendously if I don't keep it.

Thoughts?

I would like a new phone, but it's not a HUGE deal. What do you think the odds are that Telus would give me a new phone if I asked? Or do you think I'd have to wait out the corporate contract time?

I don't care for Telus as a company, but I will say it was nice talking to people that were not offshore and I could understand them without asking them to repeat themselves repeatedly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Am I missing something here? How does buying a phone outright at $350+ to save $5-$10 per month help me out?

Honest question, I'm not trying to be an rear end, I'm a cell idiot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Don't forget: a traditional monthly tariff includes an invisible device financing charge that never gets retired.

So, if I sign a 2 year contract which includes a phone, I don't own the phone after the contract term? it goes back to the carrier? I had no idea. :aaa:

I just assumed I would.

quote:

e: to be a bit more specific Telus/Rogers/Bell consider the 16GB version a $500 phone.
Interesting. I see that now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So is it fair to sum up and say I can get a phone with a 2 year term but I'll be paying a premium month to month plus at the end of the term the phone is still locked so I'll have to either unlock it OR buy a new phone then?

If that's the case, I can begin to see the benefits of buying a phone outright and having the ability to float around with your number contract free.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

so I need to get a phone now more sooner than later. What is virgin like? My old company phone is an old galaxy S tied to Telus. Would it be worth my while to keep the device and stay on Telus? Is it much cheaper? My idiotic company terminated my existing number/plan so I probably have no way of getting the number back do I?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I was able to put a SIM card from another phone in the office into mine so I'm not totally stuck, but I should try to unlock it and shop for BYOD with the various carriers. What's the consensus on how to do it? The "free" websites look sketchy as hell and want you to install generic trojan software on your computer.

I've never rooted anything before but not against trying. Easy is better though :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mister Macys posted:

I completely forgot to reply earlier, but I ordered my (unlocked) N5 direct from Google, and it arrived less than 36 hours after placing the order. And most carriers offer at least $100 credit for bringing your own phone, depending on the contract.
As for performance, it's like having my Mac Mini in the palm of my hand.
Sell your old one for some cash/hand it down to a relative.

Also, I would say gently caress any carrier that isn't Wind, but I'm a city boy so the limited coverage works out for me.

Thanks for the reply.

I have successfully rooted the old S3 with SuperOneCLick, but for some reason the unlock apps don't seem to work :saddowns: If I can't do it, I'll do what you suggest.

That said, anyone have any pointers for unlocking an old Telus Galaxy S SGH-T959P?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

the shady websites in particular are ones that want you to install programs on your PC for a "free" over the air unlock. These free" programs are like surveys and driver finders. I'm not too concerned about the community websites like xga... although maybe I should be. A recommendation from people here that have done it would certainly help though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So that method works pretty well?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK. I think I'll give it a try. The couple of ebay ads I've seen to not have the phone rooted and updated firmware, so I'll do that first and go from there. THanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ebay dude worked great. Thanks for the advice :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lexicon posted:

Sadly they've woken up to the fact that the only thing that matters now is cellular data. I've noticed Koodo has really been tightening the screws - on their newest plans, the marginal cost for data is now a shocking $5 per $250MB. It used to be $10 per 1GB.

gently caress Telus. Actually, gently caress all of them that isn't Wind.

I wish I could get wind. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I ended up going with Virgin Silver with a 750mb/1000 min plan for $49, incl taxes and fees. Dude at the cell booth was shockingly confident, knew his stuff and didn't try to up sell a drat thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A judge OK'd a class action lawsuit against Bell for expiring prepaid plans.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lawsuit-against-bell-over-expiry-of-prepaid-plans-gets-green-light-1.2739544

quote:

A class-action lawsuit against Bell Mobility over the expiration of prepaid cell phone minutes can proceed, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice ruled Monday.

The suit, led by Celia Sankar of Elliot Lake, Ont., is seeking compensation for more than a million people in Ontario. It alleges Bell breached its contracts with those customers by expiring remaining credit balances too early or for imposing expiry dates at all.

Sankar launched the suit in 2012 after the balance on her prepaid plan was "seized" by Bell twice in three years.The plaintiffs argue prepaid plans are like gift cards and are thus subject to Ontario's Consumer Protection Act, which says gift cards cannot have an expiry date. Those affected were customers with Bell, Virgin Mobile Canada or Solo Mobile who had balances remaining in their accounts expire between May 4, 2010 and December 16, 2013. The plaintiffs are seeking $100 million in damages.

Bell says it won't comment on a case that is before the courts, but spokesperson Jason Laszlo said "Bell Mobility always complies with the law."

A trial date has not yet been set.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My 4+ year old Galaxy is finally starting to give up the ghost and I think I'm in the market for a new unlocked android to put my virgin SIM into.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+ce%2Caps%2C226

Are any of those unlocked phones on Amazon.ca worth it for $<$200 or should I just bite the bullet and order a Nexus 5?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Reverse Centaur posted:

Isn't a Nexus going to be announced real soon? Maybe at IFA in a week? Wait for that, if not for the 6 then for the 5's price drop.

I'm heading down south on holidays late next week for a couple weeks, so I probably won't order anything until I'm back at the very earliest but good point.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can I ask a stupid question?

I'm on Virgin month-month with my old unlocked Galaxy S fascinate that I took from my old Telus corporate plan.

Ever since I've been with Virgin, I've been getting text message notification whenever I receive a new voice mail... repeatedly for the first few minutes. This is annoying to me since the phone has built in voicemail notification of course so it's more than slightly redundant.

I called Virgin tech support a few months back and the lady there said she turned it off, but I still got them. I've been meaning to call again but never bothered until today and the person I spoke to tells me it is a built in feature with Virgin network and they cannot turn it off or block the #.

Does that sound right? Is there a way I can block/stop these texts? I think it comes from #44601 or something. I looked all through my phone options and saw no way to do it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 23, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the app idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So it looks like my new quadcopter software needs android 4+ so it's yet another excuse to buy a new phone.

I'm looking at a 2014 moto g

http://www.gizmag.com/new-moto-g-2014-review/33680/
http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-MOTO-G-16GB-UNLOCKED-Smartphone/product_1013953_2-CA_1_20001

instead of a Nexus 5.

As someone who has never bought a new phone before, how easy is it to set up? As soon as I put my Virgin sim in will be it be automatically recognized and I can start doing calls or to a need to do a lot of configuration?

I need to have access to a Microsoft exchange email, is the ability to do that pretty standard on phones? My old one had it built in. How about porting contact over from my ancient galaxy?

Thanks very much... again! :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

grack posted:

You'll need a new sim, and your contacts should be backed up in your Google account anyways.

I don't think my contacts are tied to my google account, but I understand what you mean. I should be able to synch them to gmail and then just go from there. Thanks for the idea guys.

MoxSquad posted:

The Moto G Staples is selling is not the new Moto G that was just released in the US. The new Moto G hasn't been released yet in Canada.

Phone Arena Comparison

Thanks for the headsup.

Seems like they are pretty similar though, slight difference in the camera but the old one is 16gb and better pixel density...? Of course, we seem to pay more.
e: Better density because of screen size though, duh.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 25, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a question about 7-11 Speakout.

We want a very basic ppd plan phone for emergency purposes for my wife on the cheap. I have my old, old Galaxy S from Telus (unlocked) which I plan to press into service for this purpose.

My thought is to buy a 7-11 Speakout SIM for $10 and a $25 card, which will give 365 days of service for a total of $35. Is that the cheapest way to go? Speakout seems to have the best minutes expiry plan out of everyone that I've seen.

Also, since it is a smartphone what happens if it tries to use data? Can I disable all cell data process on an old 2.x android easily enough and just leave basic phone/texting intact?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am sure you guys are waiting with baited breath, but the 7-11 Speakout sim works great in my old spare Galaxy S. No data services whatsoever, but calls and texts are fine and keeping the time for a year is a nice plus.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

lol

This is on Bell's front page:

I can watch one whole video!
:wow:

FOR A LIMITED TIME.. because it will somehow get worse!
:smithicide:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Corte posted:

Are there any recommended places for purchasing cases and screen protectors? The best I can find currently is Amazon.

I bought my Moto G stuff through Amazon. Screen protectors were something like $3 and the Foseman case was around $5 shipped.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I wish I had Wind here.

I had a dream last night that a new co-operative cell company started in Canada.

:(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Migishu posted:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/12/16/wind-mobile-on-2015-spectrum-auction-it-would-be-really-hard-to-mess-this-up/

Thanks, Wind. Now the only thing we can hope for is for Quebecor Media to not gently caress things up and become "one of them" (hint: they will)

Here is a CBC link to the upcoming auction too.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/next-wireless-spectrum-auction-to-give-advantage-to-new-carriers-1.2877676

Interesting news, Government is only going to allow incumbents to bid on 40% of the spectrum.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I bought my unlocked moto g at staples and they gave me a sim of my choice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Dark One posted:

Speaking of, have they given the Moto G XT1034 the OTA upgrade to Lollipop? I'm on Koodo and it only updated to 4.4.4.

Not yet for me at least.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any idea what an unlocked SGH-T959P Fascinate S 4G is worth? I can't find anything on Kijiji to gauge.

Using a Moto G as my main phone, but before I did I unlocked it and had it as a backup pay-as-you-go phone on 7-11 Shoutout or whatever the hell its called but I never use it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No suggestions for data but I just bought a cheap $10 pay-as-you-go Tracfone from Walmart and picked up a US #.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a few apps on my phone which are supposedly still not 5.0 compatible. I'll have to hold off the updates for a bit myself :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just got that as well but I have not done it yet. Let me know how it goes if you don't mind.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some reports of the Moto G having issues after the update. Not bricked and unrecoverable but not pain free. No idea how common it is.
http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/moto-g-2013-lollipop-update-no-outgoing-calls-no-mobile-data

quote:

Any time I make a call, I get the "Call not Sent." pop-up. Incoming calls are received correctly. SMS work as well.

Mobile Data does not connect. I tried inputting the APN manually, turning data OFF, then ON, rebooting and wiping cache partition with no success.

quote:

I just spoke with someone at koodo, and they advised to take the back off the phone ,remove the sim card, and wait until the koodo rep sends an "update" to the phone...after this she came back on the phone and asked for me to place the sim card back into the phone and turn phone back on...and perfect...it works again!!!!!! this is juts another reason why koodo is the best cell company hands down!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good to know. Doing the update myself on my unlocked G.

e: Seems to have gone well, still playing with the changes and getting use to the UI tweaks.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 25, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is that province wide for Wind in Alberta? I'd switch as well if they give some decent coverage in the mid size centers and highway corridors.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I hope Wind gets that new infrastructure built soon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Paccione posted:

What network is public mobile on?
Not only is it on the Telus network, Public Mobile IS Telus.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So just to make sure I understand Wind, if you are in their "Partner" area (away) you are basically roaming and get charged per minute/whatever which is outside of the plan rates, right?

https://www.windmobile.ca/network-and-coverage/coverage

IE: I do not live in Calgary or the immediate area, I'm in the lightest color of orange, so I am SOL right?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CRTC announced they are going to implement a cap the incumbents can charge start-ups for roaming.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-caps-wireless-roaming-rates-that-big-3-can-charge-small-rivals-1.3061333

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

JustAwful posted:

This past month with Virgin Mobile has been a god-awful demonstration of how slow/careless they are at fixing issues. I upgraded to an LG G3 last month, and part of that upgrade was that they would waive my old SuperTab. I get my monthly bill a couple days later and - no surprise - my SuperTab balance is on there making my bill almost $300.
After this is all done, pull your credit report too.