Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Welcome to the new Canadian Cellular thread, wherein we discuss the cellular industry in Canada, which is probably the worst in the world. Any questions related to any of the Canadian carriers is welcome here. I'm a sales rep for Bell so that's my area of expertise, but I'm somewhat familiar with the other carriers, and there are plenty of knowledgeable goons here. So let's get started with my personal rundown of the carriers.

THE BIG 3
  • Bell: They are dominant in the Atlantic region (after they bought out local carrier Aliant) and tend to have service even in the rural parts. They currently have the largest LTE network. Has really terrible prepaid options, unless you are just requiring an emergency phone for your grandma who lives in the middle of nowhere and can’t get reception with anyone else.

• Telus: Similar to Bell, they offer similar plans and used to have pretty similar phones although nowadays Telus has a rather mediocre lineup of phones. Network isn't quite as strong in Eastern Canada but is pretty much the best in Western Canada.

• Rogers: Has probably the weakest network of the Big 3, seriously lacking in the Atlantic region and any place that isn't heavily populated. They use the GSM network along with Fido and are the only operators in Canada that ever had a 2G GSM network, so if you have an old, unlocked phone that won't work on Bell or Telus, try them.
THE OTHER ONES
  • Koodo: Owned by Telus, they were the first to bring the "tab" system to Canada, and later caused big waves when they eliminated long distance charges in all their plans. They do not offer pay as you go service. Since they operate on a basic tab system they typically only offer cheaper, lower end phones.

• Fido: Discount brand of Rogers. No stores in Atlantic Canada. Uses the GSM network.

• Virgin: Recently purchased by Bell. They offer pay as you go, contract, and tab plans, and offer pretty much the same lineup as Bell. Some of their plans are a little cheaper and some of them do not charge long distance.

• Solo: Does anyone use Solo anymore? It's Bell's neglected child that they pretty much crop out of the family photos now that they own Virgin. I'm not terribly familiar with them but I think they're basically your average discount brand. They do not exist in any form in Atlantic Canada. You cannot get a new phone number there, you must cancel your contract at your expense.

• WIND Mobile: The darling of jaded Canadian cellular customers, WIND proves what most Big 3 management refuse to believe: That people will put up with lovely service if it's cheap. They offer very cheap, mostly unlimited plans including unlimited data. They don't do contracts but offer a tab system. They do not have a foothold in all of Canada yet and just have pockets of reception in core areas, where even at the best of times reception can be a little shaky. They're trying to expand but have faced resistance from the Big 3 since they arrived in Canada. If you use your phone outside of one of their "home" zones, you are roaming on the Rogers network and are subject to massive roaming fees. If you can get service with them, great, but use with caution.

• Mobilicity: Still pretty much the same as WIND.

• Eastlink: A telecommunications company that recently launched a cellular service to go with their TV/internet/residential phone services, and currently only operates in Atlantic Canada. They are a typical discount brand, they operate on a tab system and offer discounts if you bundle your cell phone into their residential services. They do not currently have iPhones, not sure if they even support them, and share Rogers towers when not in the Atlantic region.
FAQ

Q: What's this new cell phone legislation everyone's been harping about?

A: The CRTC finally did a thing. A new set of rules that all carriers must follow has been put into place, and has been slowly implemented throughout 2013 and is fully in place as of late November 2013 with all carriers. It fixes some, but not all, of the big complaints of the Canadian cellular industry. I'll provide a quick rundown, but let me begin by saying that IT IS NOT RETROACTIVE. YOU CAN ONLY APPLY FOR IT BY RESIGNING A CONTRACT, CHANGING YOUR RATE PLAN, OR WHEN YOUR CONTRACT RUNS OUT
  • No more 3 year contracts. It's 2 years or no contract at all. This is probably the most controversial aspect because carriers compensated for this by simply raising their plans. A lot. Especially the tab providers. If you chose to resign a contract to upgrade your phone, you will often be forced to switch to one of these plans, so buying phones outright is becoming a better idea.

• Your cancellation fee is now the same as the discount they gave you off the phone. It also goes down at an equal rate every month. You can upgrade early by paying off what's left owing of your termination fee.

• You no longer need to give 30 days notice to cancel your service. Happy now?

• Unlocking policy is now relatively sane. Further details below.

• Data overages are capped at $50. Roaming charges capped at $100. If you reach this amount, service is simply cut off and you are given the option to continue to pay if you want to keep using it.

• If your phone needs to be repaired under the one year warranty, a loaner phone must be provided for free. If one is not available, the carrier must suspend your charges until one is available.

• Return policy is 15 days with less than 30 minutes of call time. You can also identify yourself as having a disability, which doubles the time period
Q: Which carrier should I go with?

A: It depends on your needs of course. At the end of the day, most of the Big 3 carriers are the same. Google “Bell complaints”, “Rogers complaints” and “Telus complaints” and you’ll find dozens of people accusing each carrier of being the worst company on the planet that is only interested in sucking out all your money and eating babies. There’s no way a carrier can screw you over that any of the Canadian carriers aren’t guilty of at some point. They all hire lovely call center reps who have zero accountability and hire sales reps who are incapable of remembering all the poo poo that they need to give you correct information.

That said, Koodo is the best if you need long distance, and has decent coverage for being a discount brand. WIND is great if you want everything unlimited with a decent price, but beware of reception issues. Bell is used by large companies because they have a powerful network. Telus is a good alternative. Rogers is good in the heavily populated areas but beware of traveling as they can lose coverage pretty easily.

Q: Contract, tab, or prepaid?
  • A: In a contract, you sign a contract to your provider promising them to pay them money for 2 years. In return, the carrier takes a loss by giving you a phone for a fraction of what the carrier paid to acquire it.

• A tab is when you get a phone discounted by a set amount, and a percentage of your phone bill (usually 10% or so, excluding taxes and late fees) goes towards paying off that tab. The amount of your tab is basically your early termination fee, so there’s no real risk in taking a tab since you never end up paying more than what the phone would have cost to buy outright.

With the new CRTC laws regarding phone contracts, tab plans have taken a real kick in the balls. Tabs used to be cheap because you could get a cheap plan and take all the time you need to pay off your phone. Now, carriers are required to allow full upgrade/free cancellation within two years, so carriers raised the prices on them to ensure they made their money back before that happens. Most tabs plans have arbitrary "phone charges", which are extra charges on your bill that serve no purpose other than to help reimburse the company for taking large losses on some high subsidy phones (like iPhones).

• Prepaid is when you purchase prepaid cards in a particular monetary amount and your phone plan/usage is deducted from the balance of money you maintain by buying prepaid cards. If you run out, your phone stops working. You are never billed, never require a credit check and cannot get into debt. I’m not familiar with any prepaid plans other than Bell, but I can assure you they’re terrible. Tracking your funds is very difficult, and you must buy enough funds to make sure your plan stays in effect, which usually results in you paying almost as much as a monthly bill. It’s fine for emergency usage or maybe unlimited texting, but anything else should be avoided unless your credit is really, really bad.
Q: My phone is hosed up! What do I do?

A: Your carrier has no obligation to provide you with a working phone. They didn’t build your phone and thus cannot guarantee it. This means if your phone goes defective, even if it’s not your fault, they will not just give you a new one for nothing. All carriers are like this, and it’s probably one of the worst things about cell phone companies these days. Having said that, you can try to get it fixed, but this involves sending your phone away for a potentially long time, and loaner phones may be difficult to get. The repair center is a third party who never answers emails/phone calls, and their diagnosis is final. If they said it got wet but your phone never left your bedside, too bad. Carriers have no say in this. If your phone is out of warranty, you should try to see if there are any local, independent businesses that repair devices. With so many phones now falling under the category of “iPhone” or “Blackberry”, it’s getting easier to find people with the means to repair them locally, often cheaper than what the manufacturer would charge. Always keep a spare phone as a backup, especially if your cell phone is your only means of communication!

Q: I just moved here/visiting from another country. What have you got for me?

A: I’m so loving sorry.

You won’t find any prepaid sim cards that you can just pick up and go. You’ll need to go to a store and buy a prepaid phone/plan. Your unlocked phone may not work with all providers, depending on the frequency the phone runs on. Rogers/Fido have always used GSM, so if you can’t activate on Bell/Telus, try them.

Q: How do I get one of those sweet retention deals?

A: Results differ from person to person, but you generally call up your customer service department and threaten to cancel. They will then try to haggle a new deal for you. After you find a deal it's wise to call them again and speak to someone else just to confirm your account is properly noted and that you're getting what you think you're getting.

Q: Some guy from <insert random Middle Eastern country with a thinly veiled racist tone to your voice here> called me to offer me a new phone/plan.

A: Hang up. Hang up now. Do not agree to anything, I don't care how good the deal is just don't. These guys have zero accountability and will say whatever they need to so you will say yes. They gently caress up plans constantly but oh well you can't ever contact them again anyway. Returning or servicing a phone is also nearly impossible as stores probably won't have a record of it.

Q: I loving hate the customer service department?

A: That’s a strange question, but if you aren’t satisfied by a customer service agent and they refuse to transfer you, hang up and call again. You almost never get the same guy twice, and some agents are better than others. Many spend 8+ hours a day getting screamed out by genuine assholes and have lost any humanity they may have had. If something sounds wrong, question it. This goes the same for in store reps. Never be afraid to get a second opinion!

Q: How does phone unlocking work in Canada?

A: Carriers can unlock any of their phones for a fee, usually between $35-$50, potentially more if you have restrictions based on your credit score. The waiting period is a maximum of 90 days before a phone that was bought on contract can be unlocked, or at any time if the device is not on contract.

Q: Why is cellular service so bad here?

A: A few reasons, but I'd say it's a combination of a lack of decent regulation to keep carriers in check, along with the unusual nature of competition in telecommunications. We're all used to companies trying to undercut each other in order to compete. This is because most companies only have the variable of price to compete with. The Kraft Dinner you buy at grocery store A is the same kind you buy at grocery store B. With cellular carriers this is not so. Carriers have many variables to compete with, such as network coverage (this is the main one), different devices, different plans, different services, and sales representatives trained in the latest techniques to make you not care about prices. Prices are important, yes, but cellular carriers will attempt to bolster these aforementioned variables first before they consider lowering their actual prices. This is why a carrier can raise their prices with no worries about what their competition will do, and why companies will wait a long time before matching a competitor that has launched a much cheaper service. Prices will go down in response eventually, but it takes a long, long time. I'm not defending these practices or saying that they are considered rational to a consumer in any way, but given my time in this field it's what I've noticed.

Q: Where else can I complain online besides a comedy forum?

A: http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/ The CCTS is an organization for resolving cell phone customer complaints. A goon or two on this thread tried this method and had some success, so it's worth a try.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Anyone have any luck finding a Galaxy S3? My store didn't get any and we have no idea when more will come in. They only sent like 20 to our stores in Nova Scotia

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Misanthrope posted:

I'm interested in Wind but I've been informed that if I go through Wind, I'd only get the S3 model with 3G capability.... I'm not sure if I need more than 3G capability? Hell I barely know what 3G and 4G LTE is.

LTE and 3G refers to the speed of the internet on your phone. LTE is faster than 3G but 3G isn't awful. LTE I think goes up to 150mb/s (can't remember exactly). The phone is technically LTE, it's just that WIND doesn't have LTE yet so it's only 3G. I'm not sure how fast WIND's 3G is, but given how many goons are on it I'm sure it's not a huge deal. I don't think I've ever had a customer care about LTE on their phone.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

^^^

No Bell and probably Telus do the $100 card as well, but I think some of the cheaper carriers like 7-11 offer some better expiry dates on the lower denominations.

Misanthrope posted:

Thanks for the breakdown.

So the $1/mo roaming you do in Vancouver, is that because you hit a dead spot and it switches to the Rogers network?

Seeing as I don't even know the speed differences, I'm sure you're right that 3G will be more than enough, especially since I'm either at home or at work on wifi the majority of the time, but there are two different models of the S3 being released in Canada and the model Wind is releasing won't have LTE capability (according to wiki anyways):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III#Model_variants

I was told there were only two models, one for LTE and one with no LTE but a quad core instead. Shame the non LTE carriers didn't get the latter.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 1, 2012

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I seem to recall hearing that some American carriers charge to receive texts and that was one of their original ways to "justify" the whole thing. I never actually checked to see if it's true but even if it is it's no less bullshit.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Pacinamac posted:

I just got my shiny new Galaxy S III and could not understand why my speeds were so slow. It says 4G on the phone, 4G is LTE right?

Nope, it's HSPA+ and for the life of me I could not get "LTE" working. Turns out they gave me a regular Sim card and not an LTE sim card. I have to pay extra for that as well as a monthly fee.

What. The. gently caress.

They advertise all these phones as LTE yet when you purchase them LTE is nowhere to be seen. I am normally mild tempered about dealing with carriers but this infuriates me.

What carrier are you with?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

My sister has been complaining to me about an automated bill-collection number hassling her Rogers phone to try and find who was presumably the previous owner of the number. She tried calling Rogers, and they said they won't block individual numbers. I find this hard to believe - they really have no facility for doing this? They offered to change her number, which is of course a highly unsatisfactory baby/bathwater solution.

edit: She has an iPhone 3GS, so there's no on-device solution to this.

They're probably telling the truth. Bell can't do it either as far as I can see. There is probably some technical reason behind it, but hell if I know what it is.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

It's infuriating that those companies can legally just harass you day in and day out. They are chasing some dude with a totally different name and one of the more inexperienced reps admitted it was like a 9 year old debt which is stats barred anyway according to googling I did.

Someone told me to get my lawyer to send them a letter and I think that's what I'll do eventually if they start filling my VM box. He'll probably want $500 to send the damned thing though :(

Call Leonard J. Crabs. He will fight for your right to block calls and make fun of people who have sex with dolls.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Bell will disable data for a ~$30 one time fee

Err.... What? There is certainly no fee unless they just introduced one this morning.

Either way, pretty much every smartphone now has the ability to easily block data use. I rarely have to call in to have data blocked anymore. Doing it on the device itself has worked well for me and I can't think of any time anyone managed to get data charges by blocking it on the device and not the account. You should be fine.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It was about 2 months ago now. 2 new phones, they charged $30 for the privilege of not having data.

Edit: Each.

:stare:

Uh... did you actually see the charge on your bill? Did it actually say "data block charge" or something? I'm sure I did it recently for a customer and there was no such charge. It's just a feature they add to your account. I'm sure I would have had this bite me in the rear end by now.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Kolta posted:

At Koodo (not sure for other providers) we ask for either your PIN, account number or the IMEI of your current phone (So bring your phone in). I figure other providers use the same process.

Bell does the same.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Fractal Cat posted:

What is with Wind's horrible repair policy of taking 14 days to repair a damaged charging port and then asking for a $150 deposit. It that sort of thing normal for cellphone companies here?

Yep. Seeing as how Wind likely deals with the same repair companies the Big 3 deals with, that sounds totally normal. Was the deposit for a loaner phone?

It's been a while since I've had to deal with repair centers, but they're generally terrible. They're virtually impossible to get a hold of, take forever to respond to emails, and ignore any special instructions you may have for them. Shipping a phone to them to get repaired and returned often takes between 2-4 weeks, sometimes longer. Defects are often never fully repaired, and they will probably return again, it's just a matter of when. Without the burden of competition, they don't have to worry about pesky things like customer service. You cannot dispute their findings in any way. If they say your phone got wet but your phone has never left your pocket, or that your charging port was bent even though you've always been gentle with it, too bad. It's one of the shittiest parts of our cellular industry and so far there's been no real attempt to improve it.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

poo poo son, Bell is now offering the $60 fab 10 plan with 6 GB instead of 1 GB. Everything else is the same, offered on any term no contract renewal required. It's offered until August 8th and not available in Manitoba or Saskatchewan because we hate you or something.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

It might be that your plan will not take effect until your next bill cycle date, to avoid proration.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Migishu posted:

1: Never order a contract or phone over the phone (this should've been a given to me, but I have to learn it the hard way). Get it from the store. At least if

This cannot be overstated. DON'T loving DO THIS. It seems a lot of goons order phones online or over the phone but for the love of God go to a store you drat shut-ins. I've dealt with people who've ordered phones over the phone and if your phone is hosed or if they make a mistake it's an absolute nightmare to get it fixed.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Contract over the phone is the only way to deal with retentions though, right?

Oh, sorry, I meant NEW contracts, ones that would involve them sending a phone to you. Yeah, retentions over the phone is the only way to do it for the most part, and there's usually no harm in dealing with them and then picking up your phone at a store.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

You might as well replace "I hate Rogers support" with "I hate every carrier in Canada" as it's pretty much the same with any of them. While the Rogers employees may have been able to be a little more tactful, they really can't do anything to help you.

I'd really like to know what the justification for refusal to unlock iPhones are. I get the fact that they don't want your phone being used by the competition, but if you're locked into a contract anyway, what does it matter? What's the difference between them unlocking a phone for me and me buying an unlocked phone and keeping my old phone at home? They're billing for service I'm not using either way.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Eej posted:

Why did they sell me a Galaxy Nexus then? I'm going to be shoving a T-Mo SIM into it later this month when I cross the border.

It seems that they're all unlocked, so I guess it would have something to do with the phone itself, not the carrier.

CADPAT posted:

Hey OP, you might want to throw up something about the CCTS in the first post. They can help resolve certain types of disputes, especially if the service provider is in direct violation of the contract/whatever. It's free so if people are having a problem, at the very least its worth a shot and not a huge waste of time.

Done.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Geektox posted:

Man, I thought the title was just a joke since I've always gotten Caller ID for free with my plans, but I just helped my cousin sign up with Virgin, and to my utter shock it was actually 7 dollars.

It's a joke because it used to be $8

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Be advised that the iPhone 4S sale is only on until September 7th.

The prices of the 32 and 64GB iPhones has dropped by $60 as well, so now hopefully someone will actually buy those. We still have both our original white 64s from launch.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Space Cadet posted:

I just got a call from some third party that stated they were calling on behalf of Rogers and the offered me a *FREE* Samsung Galaxy 2 if I signed up for 36 more months. They had all my details so I don't think it is a scam, and I used to get calls like this often but asked them to stop 2 years ago. This is the same company that tried to sell me a third line so I could attach the phone to our beagle in case he got loose during our hikes so that whoever could find him could call us from the dogs phone. I was skeptical at first and declined the offer of yet another 3 year contract as I am almost done our current ones. Then the lady noticed I was paying 6 dollars a month for early evenings and tried to get that charge off, her attempts failed like they always do when they try to remove it. Instead they tacked on 100 additional daytime minutes for free with no added commitment or cost. I will be paying attention to my bill next month for sure, perhaps if they called offering an iPhone 5 or Galaxy 3 I would have bit. Why is Rogers starting to bug me again? :(

Check your contract. That person may have renewed you.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

some Telus spokesperson posted:

“Due to the Competition Bureau’s actions today, we may have no choice but to cancel premium text message services in Canada altogether.”

Oh no! Please anything but that!

This is good news because I loving hate these companies and have no clue why they are legal. What are the chances of this getting off the ground?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

We still use it. We still have the displays for it and are still required to display them. Our sales director still wants us using the term. Maybe it's fallen out of the spotlight now that there haven't been any new ones released lately or coming soon and with all the hype about the iPhone 5.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ShaneB posted:

So I read in the OP that you have to go to a store to get a prepaid SIM. I'll be in Toronto for about 5 days and certainly will want some kind of data/sms/voice calling ability. What's the best way for me to do this? I have an unlocked pentaband galaxy nexus.

Just go to a store and say "I need a prepaid plan for my phone" and tell them what you need it to do. Don't say you need a prepaid SIM, that'll probably just confuse them. They'll know to give you a SIM for it.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

What is the process for getting an unlocked iPhone put on your Bell account? I assume it would be as simple as walking into a Bell store, purchasing a nano sim, installing it, and having them activate the new SIM but I've learned not to make assumptions with these clowns.

e: They aren't going to try to charge me extra for LTE are they?

No, your assumption is basically correct. You'll take your unlocked iPhone 5 to them, purchase a nano SIM card, they will activate it on your account and plug it in, and there you go. The SIM card is $5, the serial number change fee is $15 but I'm not sure if they would charge you that in your case or if it's even charged at all outside of Atlantic Canada.

There is no extra charge for LTE.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

As far as I know Bell still doesn't unlock them.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Do any of the providers still do couple/family plans? I've scoured their websites, but didn't find anything so I'm thinking no.

All plans nowadays are share plans. Everyone picks an individual rate plan and they can link together to share minutes, data, and texts (assuming both parties have them) and free calls between members.

There used to be family plans that were roughly 35-45 dollars that gave you two lines, if that's what you're thinking about. However, those totally sucked. Each member would have a $9.70 system access fee with those plans, so the bare minimum family plan would be about $55, which is exactly what two individual share plans cost today. Plus any additional lines were $15 each (plus a $9.70 system access fee), and they didn't add any additional minutes, while now additional lines add additional minutes to the sharing pool. None of these plans offered a free bonus feature either, such as unlimited texting which is available now. Also, there was a "main" line that if you wanted to cancel or remove (due to Murphy's law the line you want to remove is ALWAYS that one) then you'd have to change everyone's plan and hope you don't lose any grandfathered features.

So yeah, good riddance.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Is that only Bell? I can't find anything similar with Koodo or Virgin.

Looking at the Big 3 websites I'd say they all do it. It doesn't seem to mention it but I'd be extremely surprised if Bell was the only one doing it. I'd say it's assumed that they do. I'm not sure about Koodo to be honest. I think Rogers may have launched a new plan that's somewhat similar to the old way (one plan, two phones, pay to add extra lines) but their website is so awful I can't be bothered to try to browse it right now

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Yeah, seriously, late payment charges really aren't that much, are they? I don't know Bell's exact percentage, but it rarely adds up to more than a couple of bucks unless your bill is really super high. I know people who out of laziness only pay their bill every 2-3 months and just eat the late fees (not saying that's a good idea, but you see what I mean).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

If people aren't getting updates for a couple weeks, it's quite possible there are no updates.

I have literally never seen a black 16GB iPhone 5 ever enter our store.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I've been hearing conflicting reports, but that thread seems to make it pretty clear that there are no third party unlocking capabilities for anything past the 3GS?

I'd like clarification myself, as one of my coworkers (who is quite knowledgeable in many aspects) swears on his life that his buddy can unlock iPhones (although admits he has no clue how he does it) and his father is using an unlocked 4S.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

For those with shareable 6GB tablet plans on Rogers - can you turn it on and off on a monthly basis? e.g. suppose you have a cellular tablet - can you turn it on for a month (and pay the $10 or whatever), then opt out for 2 months, then opt back in, etc?

You should be able to, but be warned that it usually takes 30 days for most carriers to cancel a billed service like that. Also, reactivating may incur activation fees depending on your carrier.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

What would happen if you took your simcard (Rogers) out of a phone and put it into a tablet w/ cellular radio?

I'm pretty sure it'll connect to the cellular network and will access cellular data and bill you accordingly with whatever data plan you have. With the $10 share plans to share data with your smartphone plan, that would suggest that the data that tablets use is no different from data your smartphone uses.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Great, so that's two calls to Rogers to order a nano sim and in which the CSR has profusely agreed they know the difference between nano and micro, and two UPS deliveries each with a micro sim.

I'd call back to explain the error yet again, but I know they'll just end up sending another micro.

edit: I'm honestly amazed the network functions at all.

Is it really worth the trouble? Can't you just get one at a store?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Welp. Rogers refused to let me get an iPad plan since I only have American ID. Is there any way around this? It's kind of ridiculous.

Nope.

You'll have to look into prepaid, if anyone still offers it. Don't both going to a different store, as dumb as some Rogers employees may be, they likely did not screw up the part where you fill in a field that will only accept Canadian identification. A credit check must be done when signing up for any kind of plan, and only Canadian credit information will do.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Is Bell no longer offering the $65 6GB plan? I know it's a bit pricier than the Fido one but it has a lot more data and unlimited calling to 10 numbers.

Nope, haven't offered that in a while now. We still have the 65 with caller ID and voicemail, which in my experience has been much more popular. There's more people out there that want call display than a lot of data.

The highest we offer right now is 5GB for $95, which includes unlimited nationwide calling and texts.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Apathy, some people get relatively good and stable service so they just don't care, plus the fact that the discount brands may not be suitable for some people (require better reception, want better handsets, don't want to pay heavy costs for a phone with little or no subsidy) are probably the main reasons people stick with the Big 3.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

We all offer SIM only plans. If you have your own phone it can be used with any plan with no contract required. What you're describing can be obtained with roughly $65 a month with any of the major carriers. I know Bell offers a 10% discount on any plan $50 or above if activated with no contract, not sure if the others do.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Samsung isn't perfect, but HTC seems to have horrible reliability. It seems every one inevitably craps out, battery tends to be bad even for Android, etc. It's a shame because HTC makes some pretty nice phones, but they never seem to last.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Yeah, of all the complaints I hear from customers on a daily basis, 200 minutes a month is rarely one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

As of February 4th, Bell (and maybe others already do this, I dunno) will adopt a new (better) termination fee policy. I'll spare you the details of data termination fees and such that remain the same, but the total termination fee will now no longer exceed the total amount that was discounted from your device. It will instead be a prorated amount depending on how far you are into your contract. The fee will depend on the phone as each phone has different discounts, but it will be roughly following a tab-like termination penalty that will no longer result in paying a cancellation fee that's more than the price of the phone. This will apply to all contracts (new or existing) that are signed or renewed as of February 4th.

This policy is already in place in some parts of Canada, but on February 4th it will be nationwide. I know, it could be better, but baby steps I guess.