Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Loving the side by side CBC articles this morning. "Telus shatters profit record again reaching ungodly sums per quarter" and "Telus asks CRTC to allow them to add a 1.5% surcharge to customers paying their bill with a credit card"

Guess I'll use the alternative payment method of taping bills and change to a carrier pigeon.

I actually didn't realize we had a cell thread! Here's what I posted in the internet thread, in case anyone here wants to throw some complaints into the void:

quote:

Telus is doing Canadian Telecom things and putting in an application to charge a 1.5% service fee (with taxes like a cherry on top of that) for anyone paying with a credit card. I believe it is currently only for mobile plans, but if this goes through it seems likely that everyone else will apply it, and then it will eventually apply to all services.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/08/09/telus-crtc-request-credit-card-processing-fee/
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-to-charge-fee-for-credit-card-payments-to-recover-processing-costs/
https://thedeepdive.ca/telus-looks-to-be-the-first-telecom-to-charge-credit-card-processing-fees/

If you are displeased with this change, you can voice a complaint by putting in an intervention with the CTRC here: https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/Com...2204816&TN=0573 at some point before September 7th, 2022.

There's a draft circulating as a template for those who don't want to craft all of their own words:
quote:

To whom it may concern; I am writing regarding a proposal by Telus to add additional credit card processing fees of 1.5% on mobility accounts. I understand that this proposal is presently before the CRTC for approval. I am writing to express my strong disapproval of any credit card processing or other fees from mobility providers such as Telus. The CRTC must stand up for consumers and ensure that bills are clear to understand, that additional fees are strictly regulated and set out for a specific purpose, and to avoid fees which are expressed as a percentage. I urge you to refuse Telus' request for this additional fee on the grounds that it is unfriendly to consumers, particularly in an inflationary environment, that the fee is confusing and unjustifiable, and is a blatant attempt to increase profit margins to the detriment of consumers. Please do not allow the state of telecom companies in Canada to become even more unjustifiably expensive than it already is. Thank you.

If enough people bitch about it we can probably look forward to the CRTC very loudly and publicly shutting it down, and then Telus re-applying in 6 months to a year and quietly sneaking it through the back door. But at least we can pretend we did something about it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Oh man. I've been doodling around on a PubMo 4.5GB on 3G speed for 40 bucks and they sent me a text last month saying "You know you can get 4G speed for the same price?" so I told it to switch at the next payment date. Now, before that even kicked in, I've switched to this 12GB one... I honestly have no idea what I would do with all of this data because I'm so trained to restrict cell data and use wifi everywhere :buddy: :canada:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 30, 2022

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I'm on the 40 dollar 15GB 4G plan with PubMo and my phone started reporting 5G speed. I checked the site and my plan definitely still says 4G. Is that likely to be my phone reporting the wrong speed, pubmo sending the wrong speed to my phone, or pubmo serving up 5G to a 4G plan because it's easier than segregating it?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can switch plans to the $39 20gb plan for the low cost of saving one dollar.

I didn't have that option on the site. I think it's not an option for existing users ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could switch to a 30GB 5G plan for 50 bucks a month but I don't use the 15GB I already have...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

I switched 3 accounts to the $39 plan :shrug:

Apparently I had it filtered to 5G so the $39 plan wasn't showing up, lol

+5GB for -1 dollar is a decent deal

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

But does it change your old loyalty plan to the newer one with a lower discount?

I didn't see anything about it changing the loyalty... I'm currently at a 6 dollar discount so hopefully it doesn't switch.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I've upgraded my Pubmo plan like 5 times in the last year and it's not even Black Friday

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I was going to say I haven't gotten any spam calls on PubMo at all, but I guess I have a Pixel...

Looks like the last call it blocked for me was in July so not a lot of spam. I never give my cell number out though because we still have a land line that I haven't bothered to cancel so it's our official spam phone number now and like 6 people have my actual cell number :v:. Now that I have actual minutes on my plan I will probably start using the cell more and maybe work up the give-a-shits enough to sit on hold with Telus for 45 minutes to try to cancel the landline, only to have them "accidentally" disconnect me as soon as they hear I want to cancel something.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Shofixti posted:

Does anyone know if switching to these new PM plans forces you to their new reward system too with the “PM points” rather than just getting direct reductions in your monthly bill?

I've upgraded plans like 4 times this year and I'm still on the old one with all my old discounts.

The extra data buckets I was awarded from events/outages/loyalty is no longer usable on my new plans, but they're still on my account if I ever drop back to an old plan, and now I have like 40GB a month and will never need those buckets anyway.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

https://apple.news/AJueYrgfmTjmhkGoT_dV4RA
(CBC News)

"Let them eat cake." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

Public Mobile forcing all users off old Rewards program, loyalty and autopay credits gone May 2024

Effectively a $7 increase for long-time users, $5 loyalty + $2 autopay. And Public's non-expiring data addons have been discontinued.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

odiv posted:

Public Mobile's at it again.

$29/mo
40GB Data at 4G Speed
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging

$34/mo
50GB Data within Canada and the US Data at 5G Speed
Unlimited Canada and US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging

So maybe go check your plans.

drat. It's not even Black Friday.

That brings me back down to what I was paying with my loyalty under the old system, which helps salve the sting of them yoinking that system.