Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Contracts are referred to as post-paid plans, though.

So it covers the upcoming period, but bills you for the previous one? No wonder it's so hard to cancel them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But when you start a contract, you don't pay your monthly fee for 30 days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

leidend posted:

My wife's S4 is currently downloading Android 4.3 (Rogers). There was no notifcation, saw it on phonearena.com, but she had wifi turned off for some reason.

Cool. Just manually triggered it on mine.

790m, this is going to take a while over crappy work wifi.

Edit: This is awful. Data removed from the quick settings menu and mail looks like crap. Terrible.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koodo will trigger the cancellation by Bell.

If you go to Bell first, you will lose the number.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Really? Ouch.

$56 for 6gb on Rogers for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a modified corporate plan. It's for employees of our town, and family. I'm just the latter, so I don't know a whole lot about the details.

It does include call display and voicemail, and it's actually tax free. Rogers' website says it's about $77 before discounts and tax, so I guess we're getting a $20 monthly discount plus the tax off. I never actually looked at that before, I figured I was getting $5 off or $10 at best.

It also came with an $600 credit but that was a screw-up on Rogers' part. They were supposed to reimburse the cost of the phone after subsidy. Instead they gave me the entire value of the phone. I didn't pay a bill for a year.

The trade-off is Rogers service at my house blows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

leidend posted:

That makes more sense. Mine is $75 before tax.

That looks to be roughly what I have, except I have no My10.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new wireless code requires the carrier to unlock the phone on your request if you buy it outright.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, at least that's only $50 with Rogers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do Rogers stores just let you buy phones outright?

I'm already with Rogers, but the corporate plan I'm on can't be modified by Rogers stores. It has to be done through the plan's assigned agent.

I'd rather buy in store because then I can just pay there instead of having to go through invoices and accounting (since they would put it on my monthly bill if the agent did it.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

You'll probably have to go through a dealer rather than a corporate store.

So that's like Wireless Wave and stuff? I think that's the only one we have here. Do Futureshop and Bestbuy count?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want the Moto X, so the options are limited.

Sounds like a store isn't going to work for me though. They are 100% locked out of modifying any aspect of my account even at corporate stores, so even just activating is no good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Nexus 5 is a boring incremental update. The Moto X's new features sound useful to me, while the Nexus 5 is just an imperceptible spec boost on what I already have.

And the price is the same after tax and shipping on the Nexus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My local Rogers store said they'll sell the phone straight up no problem, but can't give me the price over the phone.

Any Rogers employees know the off contract price of the Moto X? I think we have a few here don't we? The website says $450 for month to month but I know sometimes even that is discounted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't. $600 in Canada.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The store I went to was a Rogers Plus. It rung up as $600.

(I didn't buy it.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 8, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jonathan posted:

I went to the telus store, they want $500 for the nexus 5, yet straight from Google its $350. I guess I should just order it straight from Google unless TELUS store will price match.

They won't. Go ahead and order from Google.

Also it's more like $420 after shipping and taxes, but still better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, unless it's Blackberry (which you can unlock for free if you're willing to wait 48 hours) ebay is always the cheapest. Even websites that do cell unlocking sell the service for a bit less on ebay.

A lot of them will say they have to physically mail you the code as per ebay's policies, but they usually actually do just email it. They just can't advertise that.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Re: Tethering chat: I'm on the $30/6GB with Rogers and have tethered for years, I'm obviously allowed or they don't care. Even on 4.4.2 now!

Rogers blanket allows tethering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The trick is this: When you're using Unblock-US' DNS servers a request to "Netflix.com" does not actually return the address of Netflix.com. Instead your device gets the address for Unblock-US' actually in the US Netflix proxy server. This server passes the geo-check for you and then hands you off to connect directly to Netflix's CDN. Very, very little of your traffic has to pass through anything they own and there's no VPN involved.

Unblock-US isn't the only service, but it's the most popular and it's easier to use a name than generics.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 28, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the user end Unblock-US is literally no more than 2 DNS server IP addresses. You sign up with them because they're subscription based. They only service requests coming from subscriber IP addresses.

There are free ones too. They're not as reliable and/or don't cover as many services.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 28, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To get a "super"phone (aka any one you might want) requires a minimum $70 voice and data plan in Quebec from the big 3. This might apply to other provinces too, I don't know.

Bringing your own phone lets you get in at like $45.

$25 extra over 24 months is $600. That $350 Nexus phone (actually $425 after tax and shipping, and I guess even more with those dollar troubles) saves you some money over the length of that contract.

The numbers with 3 year contracts were like $50 and $35, so still about $540 there.

This is all in general and not necessary relevant to your situation though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 29, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Correct. A rare few phones are sold unlocked even through carriers, but that's mostly the case.

Of course $425 USD is up to ~$475 CDN right now so we're rapidly approaching the point a Nexus doesn't put you ahead. I got lucky and just ordered mine before the crash kicked in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, that's cool then. I figured since they ship from the US.

...I guess that shows how much attention I pay to my credit card bill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who are able/willing to take a $400 hit on their credit card for you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lexicon posted:

One presumes Geektox wasn't implying that the US relative would simply purchase the phone without recompense, so this remark seems odd at best.

I was mainly just saying Motorola won't allow you to pay for it from Canada. Not all of your American friends/relatives are going to have $400 credit so it's something to keep in mind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He still won't be able to pay for it without a US card.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just got a call on Rogers 10 minutes ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

I don't know. Reading "Quebec has one of the better wireless markets in the country" just made me throw my hands in the air and walk away. Possibly preceded by some face palming and hysterical laughter.

We don't have the better discount guys (or do we? I don't know, I don't actually pay my phone) but our plans with the Big 3 are usually a bit cheaper and/or better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Better doesn't mean good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

leidend posted:

Rogers finally got more specific for Samsung kitkat updates: tomorrow for s4 and late March for Note 3.

Is that all the way up to 4.4.2? Because earlier ones had Exchange issues, right?

Or does that not matter since Samsung modifies the Email app anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't have wireless printing in Touchwiz before?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ottawa is the reason costs are so high.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not familiar with Telus specifically, but usually those no contract prices still expect a month to month plan. They'll sell it to you for around $200, but it might be a bit more.

Probably for less than it would cost to pay a month of a plan though (since that's, what? $80 now?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ja_raul posted:

Check that your speeds arent capped at 3G, you may not get LTE with that corporate option.

I have a corporate plan like that and it's LTE.

Not the same plan obviously, so still check, but they do give you LTE at that price point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apple's official policy seems to be that carrier unlocked phones will be replaced with carrier unlocked phones.

You do have to let them know though, of course. I would think an Apple Store is the best way to set it up since you have a person you can yell at if they screwed up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For the ridiculously heavy handed control Apple has over iPhones you would think replacements would be something they have procedure for with carriers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samsung unlock codes are like $8 on ebay usually. It's much easier that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Always has for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those screens are on 24/7 though aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Locking phones is at least the norm in the US too. I don't know about elsewhere.