Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I assumed that "plans that are not share everything" also included the enormous number of people who are on grandfathered plans, which obviously include data. Am I wrong?

It seems it does. That's very un-Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anyone know anything about APN setting stuff? This is with Rogers.

I'm currently on ltedata.apn which the internet tells me is actually meant for Rocket sticks and tablets. I tried internet.com as some sites mentioned and actually get a better signal from that. Then I tried ltemobile.apn as the internet says that you're supposed to have for a phone, and that has the same weaker signal as the first one.

Will sticking with internet.com break anything? Is it just a placebo? Does any of this affect 5G access?

This is an iPhone 12 Pro that Rogers still thinks is a Galaxy S4.

Edit: I can't hotspot on internet.com. Guess that answers that part.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 26, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Starlink isn't for cell phones?

Neither are the ones they posted. They're home internet plans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

They said Telus LTE which is a cellular plan. That's not home internet.

It's rural LTE home internet.

Right here: https://www.telus.com/en/qc/internet/smart-hub

Telus phone plans don't care what your postal code is, just your province.

I think the point they were making is just to show the disparity in what they charge for the exact same signal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The original poster's phrasing very much made them sound like cell plans and I didn't post the link until like the 3rd reply. It's not that big a deal guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those will both work. Unless the phone is very old (at which point it probably isn't worth selling) it should be unlocked. Since you're still paying for it though, it must be recent enough.

Rogers still thinks I have a Galaxy S4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's an EPP thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I briefly drove through a 5G zone and was able to run a quick speed test. 120-130mbs while it went down to 50-60 for LTE.

Below even the capacity of LTE of course but double’s not too bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rogers includes calling/text/data in the US in most of their plans now too. I haven't looked at Bell but I assume they're 1:1 there as usual.

It just seems to be the new thing they're adding on to plan refreshes now that they already did 'you have to upgrade to get 'unlimited'', and 'you have to upgrade to get 5G'. Anything to not have to consider actual unlimited data.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay but most Loblaws are bigger than Norway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From Rogers in Quebec, I'm seeing $60 a month for 100gb Infinite Premium (Data/text/calling in US and Mexico) for 2 years. Goes up to $65 after.

I'm a preferred eligible account, but on a regular consumer plan currently so I don't think that factors in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apple added it as an OS level feature in 17.

Since it's your actual phone (with a bit of help from The Cloud) doing it, you'll still get voicemail the old way if your phone is off or has no signal when it comes in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I went from 50 to 100gb on my plan today for the same price lmao

I did the same earlier this week and went down $10 doing it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just have Rogers and have never had a spam call that I can remember in ages. They don’t advertise any kind of blocking thing that I’ve noticed.

I do occasionally get calls from real people who say they’re returning a call I just made to them, not sure what’s going on there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

I buy a Pixel from Amazon (amazon directly, not a shady marketplace seller)

I mean, with the Pixel 8's issues you can probably consider Google a shady seller right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder if they do that so you can't use it to avoid roaming charges.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like the iPhone 6/7 battery class action was approved here too, so once the details come out you can get some money for those 3 years from now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The old system is still there, but the built in transcription intercepts it now if your phone is on and has a signal. If not you get it the old way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I don't think it's actually calling in, because it's quicker than that and doesn't have your password. I think the phone just doesn't send the call to carrier voicemail if it receives it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

priznat posted:

Also do I still need visual voicemail from the carrier or does iPhone just do it on the phone now?

The iPhone will do it if it's on, and has a signal.

Last time I got a call and hit the power button to silence it instead of taking it, that also went to regular carrier voicemail instead of iPhone transcription. I've only done that the one time since the feature came out though so I don't know if it's supposed to work that way or just decided not to that one time.

So I guess it depends on if you really, really want visual voicemail 100% of the time or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do you have Live Voicemail on in the Phone app settings? It's carrier independent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tony quidprano posted:

Last time I went into No Frills the price of a bag of takis chips was loving $4.80, are you guys really sure you're saving there?

I mean, brand name stuff is going to be the same everywhere when it's not on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah that seems solid. I'm getting 100gb Canada/US/Mexico for $60 a month from Rogers, and that was a Black Friday sale with $5 of it as an expiring after 24 months credit.