Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yes i am referring to the plaza accord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's fair, I suppose I hadn't really thought of the real estate bubble as being driven by America's financial intervention. It makes sense intuitively since I know that American popular culture often saw the Japanese as the big scary monolith looking to overshadow the US, but I guess I never really considered the causality.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tesseraction posted:

That's fair, I suppose I hadn't really thought of the real estate bubble as being driven by America's financial intervention. It makes sense intuitively since I know that American popular culture often saw the Japanese as the big scary monolith looking to overshadow the US, but I guess I never really considered the causality.
My mom was big into that. She once said that Japan was going to eclipse America militarily as well. She is kind of racist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being fair Japan, America and (adding as I'm from) the UK all have problems with rather racist members of our population.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lammasu posted:

My mom was big into that. She once said that Japan was going to eclipse America militarily as well. She is kind of racist.

This was *the* thing everyone was freaking out about in the 80s. If you showed someone back then the story about Nippon Steel buying US Steel they would have a heart attack

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ah gently caress, Ishikawa just got hit by a large earthquake, 3-5m tsunami warning in effect

https://emergency-weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/en/earthquake/20240101161010/

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
There’s an app called NERV which has a lot of detailed info, especially about the tsunami. You can see arrival times even.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
youtube feed for nhk world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0lYkdA-Gtw

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

hadji murad posted:

Theres an app called NERV which has a lot of detailed info, especially about the tsunami. You can see arrival times even.

Please tell me it plays this whenever an alert comes up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhPl1McB8M

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

"Dissolution of (the) coalition" (連立解消) is trending on twitter due to news about the LDP being mad about komeito blocking/dragging its feet on increases in arms exports. https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/ab578749939c302fc247ff2168b5981090228f0a

the loony right-wingers have always hated komeito and are cheering on the idea. could be interesting if the coalition does dissolve. it's a half-remembered thing i heard in the one and only poli-sci class on japan i took (and only poli-sci class in general), but there's some thought that a lot of LDP's electoral viability is under-girded by komeito (read soka gakkai followers) voting for ldp candidates in districts komeito wasn't fielding anyone.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Badger of Basra posted:

This was *the* thing everyone was freaking out about in the 80s. If you showed someone back then the story about Nippon Steel buying US Steel they would have a heart attack

Oh God! Does Nippon Steel have an anime girl mascot? Seeing that on the Granite City steel mill would be glorious. In case you are wondering, Granite City, IL is like if you took all of New Jersey and condensed it down to one city.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lammasu posted:

Oh God! Does Nippon Steel have an anime girl mascot? Seeing that on the Granite City steel mill would be glorious. In case you are wondering, Granite City, IL is like if you took all of New Jersey and condensed it down to one city.

Uwuuuuuuuuu, Lammasu-tan.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Was there anything on the Japanese news about Kimmel being impressed with how clean everything was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Was there anything on the Japanese news about Kimmel being impressed with how clean everything was?

Uh, no.

• “Japan is so clean!” is something that gets repeated by tourists of all stripes and kinds, so that kind of coverage already happens enough.
  • Nobody in the Japanese mainstream knows what a Jimmy Kimmel is