Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I don't feel sorry for old Abe. He wrote about how Japan needed to be a Beautiful Country(tm) again and his vision was right out of the Meiji--pre-WW2 era. Political assassination was all the rage back then. Isn't that part of what he wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m only guessing, but I feel like the apolitical nature of Japanese society played into the apathetic response as well. Half the population don’t even vote. Who cares when the assassinated is neither someone you voted for nor someone you voted against?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Peel posted:

I'm guessing a lot of people in the Japanese establishment who aren't moonies are pretty eager to get rid of them too.

But that’s the thing - Abe’s dad got the Moonies in close with the LDP, so there was a vested reason to continue the relationship.

It’s similar to the Johnny’s scandal - shining more light on it and framing the discussion allowed for public pressure to make things actually happen and change.

Both were cases that came to light before (early 2000s from memory), both were shuffled out quickly, both came back up and more public pressure (social media actually working?) was put on officials to Do Something. It’s not like support changed, people just got much more access to what happened and said “yeah, we shouldn’t tolerate that anymore.”

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

AlternateNu posted:

There's a youtube video that keeps popping up on my feed I've yet to watch, but the title is something like "Shinzo Abe was assassinate by a homemade shotgun, and now everyone hates him" which is hilariously on-the-nose.
This one, I'm guessing?

https://youtu.be/wFn6gWYMDpo

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm sure the government was desperately hoping to spin it that way before the story came out.
Eh, I think it's more that a lot of analysis of what goes on in Asia is generally pretty bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Eh, I think it's more that a lot of analysis of what goes on in Asia is generally pretty bad.

Well, that too.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the killing of shinzo abe was such a fascinatingly successful action not because of apathy. the presence of and actions of the unification church are the story behind the story in terms of "how what they are made this reaction make sense" — there was no effective condemnation of the attacker's motivations, it just immediately turned a spotlight directly at the unification church's political inroads and corrupt practices enabled by it.

i have always had a lot of hate in my heart for the tongilgyo but it was never something i could translate to a western audience what kind of presence they have and what it turned into or why specifically you could end up caring about it like this. It would be like if scientology basically had pet presidents and was the largest individual church in the states by 2035, then one day president vivek ramaswamy gets exploded by the Killdozer while giving a stump speech and made it very clear it is because vivek had spent his entire political career being a scientology asset, and Sea Org took Killdozer guy's whole family to the cleaners and left him in poverty. and within a day of the killing, like three quarters of the entire country goes "oh! THAT'S why he blew him up? well, ... I mean ... yeah ... its not that i agree with killing political leaders, necessarily ... but ... i mean, if it was because of scientology ... yeah that got pretty bad huh" and from then on out its months of similar stories coming out about scientology graft snaking vines deeply into the political system and absolutely, no hyperbole, ruining lives completely

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kavros posted:

the killing of shinzo abe was such a fascinatingly successful action not because of apathy. the presence of and actions of the unification church are the story behind the story in terms of "how what they are made this reaction make sense" — there was no effective condemnation of the attacker's motivations, it just immediately turned a spotlight directly at the unification church's political inroads and corrupt practices enabled by it.

i have always had a lot of hate in my heart for the tongilgyo but it was never something i could translate to a western audience what kind of presence they have and what it turned into or why specifically you could end up caring about it like this. It would be like if scientology basically had pet presidents and was the largest individual church in the states by 2035, then one day president vivek ramaswamy gets exploded by the Killdozer while giving a stump speech and made it very clear it is because vivek had spent his entire political career being a scientology asset, and Sea Org took Killdozer guy's whole family to the cleaners and left him in poverty. and within a day of the killing, like three quarters of the entire country goes "oh! THAT'S why he blew him up? well, ... I mean ... yeah ... its not that i agree with killing political leaders, necessarily ... but ... i mean, if it was because of scientology ... yeah that got pretty bad huh" and from then on out its months of similar stories coming out about scientology graft snaking vines deeply into the political system and absolutely, no hyperbole, ruining lives completely

So the LDS in Utah.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kavros posted:

the killing of shinzo abe was such a fascinatingly successful action not because of apathy.

I think it took like a week for the detail to really take root in the mainstream press, but yeah, that is absolutely what happened here. Partially I’m amazed the police let that out, that the mainstream press could publish a reason why he offed Abe, and that it caught the traction it did. Dude rolled 20s.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Discendo Vox posted:

So the LDS in Utah.

Just imagine if Romney won and was assassinated a couple years after leaving office while stumping for Haley or whomever..

Yeah...this is nothing like that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
IIRC, everyone's know about this guy for decades, right?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1699716398342140037

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Open secret of open secrets

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It took old man Johnny to finally kick the bucket (rest in piss) and the BBC to do a documentary on it for the press to take notice this time.

Also there’s an incredibly funny trending item on Japanese Twitter tonight - ヒトラー株式会社, or Hitler LLC…because at the press conference a reporter asked if they were going to change the name of the company from Johnny’s, the new CEO demurred, and another reporter said “It’s kinda like you’re named Hitler LLC right now.”

Amazing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This isn't quite classical politics but I figured y'all would know.

I'm aware that in Japan houses are generally treated as depreciating assets, like America treats cars, rather than appreciating assets, like America treats houses. Whatever the historical background like this: Plenty of private-sector dudes are building housing units, right?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yes, anything from stand alone houses to giant apartment complexes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yes, anything from stand alone houses to giant apartment complexes.
:thanks:

I had kind of figured after hearing the Majima Construction song three hundred times, but it's good to know for sure.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a recent-ish English-language pdf from said private developers with a bunch of data if you want to get, like, really into it for whatever reason: https://www.fdk.or.jp/en/pdf/rej2021.pdf

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

When I was living in Yokohama back in the 90s, we would make some pretty tasteless jokes about it (we were kids ourselves, we didn't know any better). I hadn't even thought about it for literally decades until the news broke.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Found a pretty funny Youtube video that goes over the whole Big Motor shitshow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENl3eh1o-SM

loving up so hard that your biggest competitor also gets taken down for copying your lovely business practices is honestly pretty impressive.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 21, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s a pro click. Their biggest problem was not cutting the other insurance companies in on the scam.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

I think it took like a week for the detail to really take root in the mainstream press, but yeah, that is absolutely what happened here. Partially I’m amazed the police let that out, that the mainstream press could publish a reason why he offed Abe, and that it caught the traction it did. Dude rolled 20s.

Japanese police don't strike me as paragons of competence

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

icantfindaname posted:

Japanese police don't strike me as paragons of competence

Not an empty quote.

Also, I wanted to ask if people know any good books on the internecine conflicts between the Japanese Army and Navy prior to WW2.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Josef bugman posted:

Not an empty quote.

Also, I wanted to ask if people know any good books on the internecine conflicts between the Japanese Army and Navy prior to WW2.

The Mil. History goons should be able to help https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461

The recent posts are even about the Japanese Navy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Steely Glint posted:

Here's a recent-ish English-language pdf from said private developers with a bunch of data if you want to get, like, really into it for whatever reason: https://www.fdk.or.jp/en/pdf/rej2021.pdf

This is great. Man those graphs on asking rents and land price over time are pretty incredible in comparison to the U.S.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's funny how all these companies, who have profited off the use of Johnny's playthings for decades despite the allegations being brought up in 1999 and (at least in part) vindicated by the courts, are just now discovering their morality and declaring how they can't possibly deal with a company that tolerates sexual abuse. Quelle surprise. I'm sure they'll all be lining up to return some of the profits they made to Kitagawa's victims.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bloody Pom posted:

loving up so hard that your biggest competitor also gets taken down for copying your lovely business practices is honestly pretty impressive.

This is great, thanks. Always happy to find a new YouTuber who actually makes good documentary stuff.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Thanks for the recommend, this is wonderful. I kept going "surely it can't get worse? oh no" through the entire video, :lmao:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Japanese Producer culture and wagon circling regarding it in their entertainment industry has all but taken me out of their pop culture completely save for video games thats hanging on by a thread. Bunch of grifting suits looking to monetize everything, overemphais on minimizing personal risk leaving lots of things underfunded, and producers that play by a totally different set of rules (Yasuhi Akimoto much) than your average rank and file designer or actual creative talent rather blatantly. Accountability still needs to visit several more companies yet. Sony Music Japan in particular ought to be next.

Despite the downsides of China I also totally get why a lot of people are being lured away to work there lately. Things like actual profit sharing and IP retention rights and just better pay in general is awfully tempting after a while even in the face of weird corporate and national pride that is about the only thing sustaining the current setup where large producers and key suits make all the money and have all the power and everyone else has to get by on commission and dirt pay and be exposed to poo poo like Johnnys scandal.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 28, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

barbecue at the folks posted:

Thanks for the recommend, this is wonderful. I kept going "surely it can't get worse? oh no" through the entire video, :lmao:

Do they talk about potentially poisoning trees and bushes along the sidewalks in front of their dealerships? Because you’ll never know when Tree Law will pop up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

harperdc posted:

Do they talk about potentially poisoning trees and bushes along the sidewalks in front of their dealerships? Because you’ll never know when Tree Law will pop up.

Yep. That’s in there.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Weatherman posted:

It's funny how all these companies, who have profited off the use of Johnny's playthings for decades despite the allegations being brought up in 1999 and (at least in part) vindicated by the courts, are just now discovering their morality and declaring how they can't possibly deal with a company that tolerates sexual abuse. Quelle surprise. I'm sure they'll all be lining up to return some of the profits they made to Kitagawa's victims.

let's not get crazy now

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1710538753473904964
Stupid Australians giving everyone the flu.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I personally blame Australians for basically everything.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Blaming everything on the Aussies is reasonable tbh

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Every time I hear the term Global South I think of the Australia episode of The Simpsons.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I hope this ban on Halloween Street parties isn't permanent. Going to Japan for Halloween is number one on my bucket list.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I hope this ban on Halloween Street parties isn't permanent. Going to Japan for Halloween is number one on my bucket list.

Have you ever been to Halloween in college at a college town? It’s that. If you’re 25, you’re probably too old. And it really is only in Shibuya, so the cops have closed it all down by focusing there.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lammasu posted:

:lmao:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah I’m pro-Shibuya Halloween ban. That poo poo must be a loving nightmare for locals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

harperdc posted:

If you’re 25, you’re probably too old.

Lmfao. Too true.