Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah I’m pro-Shibuya Halloween ban. That poo poo must be a loving nightmare for locals

It's a nightmare for businesses and non-Halloween-caring tourists too. It's a massive nuisance for everyone except the drunk party-goers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
someone's walking around there right now and streaming it (without being an rear end in a top hat somehow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPe9Te_ecOs

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Small fry, wait until Hanshin wins the Japan Series.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Lock up your colonels. Osaka fittin to pop off.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Live shooting in Saitama - sounds like the perpetrator started at a hospital and might be holed up at a nearby Post Office.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67270472

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I saw that in the news this morning... I'm hoping the situation is resolved by now?

I did appreciate the UK news not having much to add so they went into a tangent about how murder is very rare in Japan and guns are so hard to obtain that Abe's killer had to DIY one.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah the hostages got freed. The suspect is 86 years old!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yeah the hostages got freed. The suspect is 86 years old!

It's important to take up new hobbies and meet new people (at gunpoint) as you get older.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

saitama kicks rear end. went to sleep with helicopters being annoyingly noisy overhead. glad that nastiness ended without loss of life.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

:lmao:

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1722620732268859805

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

loving hell. lol.

I do enjoy the fact that Japanese news agencies still use doofy analogue visual aids instead of relying on the touchscreen digital wall American news networks do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also infinitely preferable to the news channels with obnoxious 3d graphic animations for things or making something like this:

Paper arts and crafts anyday, thank you.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
all news should be presented using hellshake yano-style paper theater

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kishida cleaning house while he still has time:

https://twitter.com/Nihonpolitics/status/1733567972004770225

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Does this seem like a full shift to the Kochikai wing of the party?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Apparently there's a full-blown funding scandal on and the Abe faction of the party has been implicated:

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1733846535115575491

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20231219/k10014292161000.html

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20231219/p2g/00m/0na/002000c

Prosecutors search offices of Japan's LDP factions mired in funds scandal

quote:

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Prosecutors on Tuesday searched the offices of two major ruling Liberal Democratic Party factions over a political fundraising scandal, in a further blow to Prime Minister Fumio Kishida's administration.

The Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office's special investigation squad started searches of the biggest LDP faction, once led by the late Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and another led by former LDP Secretary General Toshihiro Nikai.

They are seeking to build cases against accountants working for the factions, deeming they failed to declare on behalf of the groups hundreds of millions of yen in fundraising party revenue in political funding reports to create secret slush funds. Some of the money was funneled back to lawmakers, sources familiar with the matter said.

The LDP is

About to

E X P L O D E

(Into factional warfare, as the CDP and everyone else wonder if they can actually take advantage this time)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
death to accountants

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I hope we get at least 10 factions this time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I hope we get at least 10 factions this time.

Japanese Politics Thread: Oops! All Factions

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

harperdc posted:

Japanese Politics Thread: Oops! All Factions

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was listening to a Chinese podcast, their comments on the Abe fraction getting kicked was that actually the Abe faction was the one who wanted more independent monetary policy. And at this time the US is at the critical point of transitional from hiking interest rate to lower rate and start QE again, they wanted Japan to increase their rate to encourage capital flight and burst the market bubble, which will help suck the capital back to US, just when the Febs is lowering the rate.

Supposedly the Abe faction didn't want to do it and they got kicked. I am not a finance guy so I don't know whether this rumor is true. But we will know in a few months.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the LDP to win re-election handily under a prime minister with 15% approval

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The LDP way.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was listening to a Chinese podcast, their comments on the Abe fraction getting kicked was that actually the Abe faction was the one who wanted more independent monetary policy. And at this time the US is at the critical point of transitional from hiking interest rate to lower rate and start QE again, they wanted Japan to increase their rate to encourage capital flight and burst the market bubble, which will help suck the capital back to US, just when the Febs is lowering the rate.

Supposedly the Abe faction didn't want to do it and they got kicked. I am not a finance guy so I don't know whether this rumor is true. But we will know in a few months.

Couple of thoughts from the financial side.

First the fed is looking to lower rates, but calling it quantitative easing feels inaccurate. Qe usually refers to bond purchases by a central bank as a last resort to spur growth when rates are already set at zero. It's essentially jamming the accelerator as hard as you can. What the fed has suggested its planning on next year is much closer to easing off the brake slightly. Even if the feds cut to the lowest internal estimate, it will be around 4 percent at the end of 2024, way way above the average for the last two decades. In fact the fed is currently selling bonds it accumulated during qe, which is quantitative tightening, and I've seen nothing to indicate that will change in the next six months to a year.

Secondly, monetary policy is incredibly imprecise and unpredictable. It's nearly impossible to guess when and how effects will show up beyond very vague estimates, and even those are often wrong. The economic establishment was sure that the feds policies would lead to some kind of recession in America this year. Terms like 100% certainty were being thrown out by most bank's analysts. Instead the country saw sustained growth that defied a global trend. Trying to plan around the effects of two interlocking rates is a very dubious endeavor, there is a likelihood that events in each country won't manifest in the same year let alone the same quarter.

Thirdly, both the fed and boj are nominally independent from the government. Now of course there is always some level of influence from elected officials that can have some effect on policy, and im not familiar enough with the bojs leadership to make any definitive statements on their true level of independence. Maybe the ldp does have that level of influence, I leave that as an open question to the thread. However on the US side, I am confident that the fed can and will stick their finger in the eye of a presidential administration if they feel the situation warrants. So the Biden administration can read the signs and guess about fed policy is likely to be next year, but if the state department is throwing it's weight around to get to control of Japan's rates, they're doing it with no solid guarantee that is rates will move as anticipated.

Fourthly, it's not really clear what the incentive is supposed to be. Raising rates while other countries slash tends to attract foreign deposits(if one country has an overnight rate of 5% and the other is at -0.1 all else being equal you park your money with the currency that offers the higher rate), which is why the boj has had to make currency interventions to prop up the yen twice in the last few years. So the proposed action would actually encourage capital flows to Japan in terms of cash and bonds. Now rising rates tend to be bad for domestic companies as a very broad rule of thumb, so I'm guessing what they meant was that the hope is Japanese companies poorly while American companies do well, which may cause more people to sell Japanese stocks and buy American. This would be a bit convoluted due to my second point on timing, and due to the lack of guarantee that America would be the topic equity pick for investors. To top it off, us markets have had a similar gangbuster year to Japanese stocks and are near all time highs, which hasn't helped out Biden much at the polls. Why would the white house be so gungho to goose stocks that they'd topple their number 1 geopolitical ally in to chaos?

On that note, the ldp and the white house haven't seen eye to eye on other issues, so why use their leverage over the party now specifically? Is domestic short term economic issues really going to trump the close alignment on re-militarization?

It strikes me as highly conspiratorial thinking with a misunderstanding of how decentralized rate decisions are in the US, but id be interested in seeing their sources.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Mainichi: Disapproval rate for Japanese Cabinet highest since 1947 https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20231218/p2a/00m/0na/003000c

The disapproval rate is a historic 79%, the approval rate an almost-historic 16%. The one government in history that managed to limbo even lower was... Naoto Kan's DPJ government in 2011, clocking in at 15% :lmao:

Is there a good recent-ish guide to all the LDP factions? I would also like to read something on how Japan's party system ended up being such a splintered clusterfuck. I've been getting into Japanese language and culture lately and for a politics nerd this poo poo is utterly fascinating, a whole new universe of terrible.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

stephenthinkpad posted:

First off, I admire the balls of someone in China having a podcast. Also, I doubt America cares enough about Japan monetary policy to topple a government. As long as Nippon keeps the Godzilla movies and anime tiddies coming I think we are cool.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lammasu posted:

First off, I admire the balls of someone in China having a podcast. Also, I doubt America cares enough about Japan monetary policy to topple a government. As long as Nippon keeps the Godzilla movies and anime tiddies coming I think we are cool.
While the supply of Gunpla is a strategic necessity, I believe having a friendly power a short plane trip away from Red China is also a major factor, especially if they start looking coveteously at Taiwan. (I've heard Japan and Taiwan actually love each other now, somehow?)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Nessus posted:

While the supply of Gunpla is a strategic necessity, I believe having a friendly power a short plane trip away from Red China is also a major factor, especially if they start looking coveteously at Taiwan. (I've heard Japan and Taiwan actually love each other now, somehow?)

Also, most conspiracy theories about American machinations assume no other country has any agency.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think it’s more revenge for Abe trying to politicize the prosecutor’s office by promoting his own people instead of letting it run fully autonomously as per the Japanese bureaucratic way

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lammasu posted:

Also, most conspiracy theories about American machinations assume no other country has any agency.

It’s this. Just regular old “ah only Great Powers do anything”.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nessus posted:

Japan/Taiwan relations and how Taiwan sees itself as a former colony pretty close to "opposite of Korea." The Colonial Uprisings are known and studied in middle school (the last one had a pretty big movie about it in the past 10 years) but that kind of moral outrage is usually directly towards the White Terror era than the colonial era now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Uh are you unfamiliar with the event known as the lost decade?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lammasu posted:

No, the commentator said the Abe faction was the one against more pro US, pro Feds policy, that's the surprising part to me. That's why I repost it here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

A big flaming stink posted:

Uh are you unfamiliar with the event known as the lost decade?

the ldp famously held power for a generation, right up until the effects of the lost decade started to sink in, so not entirely sure how the usa toppling a government is relevant

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the ldp famously held power for a generation, right up until the effects of the lost decade started to sink in, so not entirely sure how the usa toppling a government is relevant

That was more in response to the idea that the US does not care about Japan's monetary policy, when they care so much that they caused one of the most devastating financial crises the country has ever faced

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Caused how? Tha Plaza Accord? I'm pretty shaky on the run up to the bubble collapse.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I blame Commodore Perry

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

A big flaming stink posted:

That was more in response to the idea that the US does not care about Japan's monetary policy, when they care so much that they caused one of the most devastating financial crises the country has ever faced

Which president started that effort, was it HW Bush, or Bill Clinton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if big flaming stink is referencing the plaza accords, it would have been under reagan. american complaints about asian exporters allegedly devaluing their currency continued right up until the trump administration (and maybe biden too, but if they've made public statements asking china to let their currency fully float instead of pegging, i haven't seen it), but my sense is the focus of those complaints solidly shifted from japan to china around the mid-00's