Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Everything is really, really expensive in Japan, but unlike what was said about Korea, Japanese products tend to be at least decent or better quality I've noticed. A lot of stuff has "Made in China" on it, but nevertheless is still marked up astronomically so its much cheaper to just import many things from the source. I kind of wonder what the hell the government was thinking on the consumption tax rate doubling though. Was that really the only "reform" they could shoehorn in without resistance from their corporate overlords or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Senkaku question for you all. I'm cursorily familiar with the history of the islands, mostly from reading articles the past two weeks and browsing Wikipedia. What's confusing me is the insistence by the Chinese that they used to be part of China at all. Am I wrong in my understanding that they used to be part of Ryukyu? And that Ryukyu was a kingdom of its own but paid tribute to both China and Japan for centuries? Then Japan annexed Ryukyu at the end of the 19th century, taking the islands from Kagoshima all the way to Senkaku. Is that right so far?

Then why do China-supporters say it was taken over by Japan in WW2 and shouldve been returned? Did something happen between the annexation in 1895 and the outbreak of hostilities/expansionism that was Imperial Japan? Do I have the facts wrong or are people skewing them to make the claim?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
I'm not a history buff so I can't really answer the questions. But if I had to speculate, I would say what you said is true (about Ryuku kingdom and what not). China never really developed a huge navy in prior centuries. They relied heavily upon their size and majest to draw countries to them and gain their "security" and market. At one point I believe China had gotten most of East Asia to come and kowtow.

You would def. need a history buff on this though in order to sift through the level of misinformation and skewing that's probably going on concerning these topics.

A sexy submarine
Jun 12, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

I kind of wonder what the hell the government was thinking on the consumption tax rate doubling though. Was that really the only "reform" they could shoehorn in without resistance from their corporate overlords or something?

5% is very low when you compare it to other G8 countries. Doubling it to 10% means it's still quite low comparitively.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

I'm not a history buff so I can't really answer the questions. But if I had to speculate, I would say what you said is true (about Ryuku kingdom and what not). China never really developed a huge navy in prior centuries. They relied heavily upon their size and majest to draw countries to them and gain their "security" and market. At one point I believe China had gotten most of East Asia to come and kowtow.

You would def. need a history buff on this though in order to sift through the level of misinformation and skewing that's probably going on concerning these topics.
Yeah, I was gonna say, any information on the internet that has been made recently about that issue is going to be biased to hell one way or another. Personally I figured that those islands weren't really part of any historical country, since they have no value other than the natural gas stuff under them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think fundamentally multiple places considered them theirs, but they were completely worthless until recent gas exploration so nobody really cared that much. Nobody lived there and there's nothing special on them, why would anyone have wasted time and effort on some rocks? So the historical claims are going to be murky at best.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CronoGamer posted:

What's confusing me is the insistence by the Chinese that they used to be part of China at all.

The Chinese position is that they were part of Taiwan Province since its establishment in the Qing dynasty. From the Chinese point of view, the islands went with Taiwan when it was lost to Japan in the late 19th century, and should have been returned along with all the other land Japan had to give back at the end of WWII. The treaty does not specifically mention the Diaoyus but the wording strongly implies that non-enumerated islands historically belonging to China were also to be returned.

The Japanese position as I understand it is that the Senkakus were never part of Taiwan in the first place, and instead are part of Okinawa so they don't have to give them back. Naturally the Chinese are not impressed with arguments about the internal administrative boundaries of the Japanese Empire.

The problem is that the islands have never been inhabited, so this ownership has always been nominal. Because they're not mentioned specifically in treaty law, and since the Qing dynasty Chinese never established settlements on them, there's really nothing for modern law to go on other than defacto administration. If China could prove that the islands were historically Chinese then their argument would be quite sound, but they can't.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2012

A sexy submarine
Jun 12, 2011
Did anyone read this hilarious article on foreigners joining the anti-nuclear rallies?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/foreigners-join-weekly-protest-against-nuclear-energy-who-they-are-and-why-they-went posted:

TOKYO —
Twenty-two foreigners attended the Sept 14 protest against nuclear energy.

American expatriate Peter Q and his wife, Naoko, were disappointed: the sidewalk leading to the prime minister’s residence had been bisected by traffic cones; protesters on one side, the other a travel lane for commuters and passersby. On their side, demonstrators stood no more than four abreast. The line they formed snaked for several blocks, and enthusiasm varied by location: distance from the Kantei, from the nearest loudspeaker.

“Please report that we’re upset to be boxed in, and told – over and over again by megaphone – not to bother the pedestrians,” said Naoko. “This isn’t a protest. Think of the ‘60s. Here, tonight, this is just a game we’re playing.”

Peter, the first visible Westerner to arrive at the protest, has lived in Japan since 1982. He works as a salaryman. He believes the severity of the earthquake has been exaggerated (from roughly 7 to 9 on the Richter Scale) to soft-pedal the avoidability of the Fukushima disaster. He would like to start an English-language talk group to discuss this and other revelations from alternative news sources; he has discovered that Japanese environmentalists are often preoccupied with beer and beef.

As he held Naoko’s hand behind the traffic cones, he was concerned that he would be photographed by police and deported. “I dressed as much like a tourist as I could.” (Slacks, blue dress shirt, ball cap). He wore large, dark sunglasses over his corrective lenses. He brought a surgical mask to cover his thick, white beard. He ducked away from my camera when I turned it toward the crowd. Minutes later, he was gone. Before he left, he professed no surprise at the sudden burst of Japanese civic engagement. “Creators and defenders of good have their limit,” he said.

Justin Berti, a yoga teacher and New York native, shared Naoko’s opinion of the protest. “If I were in control of nuclear power and I saw these protesters, I would laugh at them,” said Berti. On his list of complaints: the protest’s serpentine layout, the crowd’s polite weekly dispersal at 8 p.m., the predictability of protester behavior. “Does somebody have to throw a bottle? It’s sad to say, but every great protest movement – Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King – someone has to die.”

Berti calls himself The Yoga Terminator. He teaches at Kike Yamakawa’s FAB academy, a dance and entertainment space in Azabudai where, according to Berti, “everything is a production.” His web presence features the slogan “We don’t meditate, we terminate!” Above it he poses, his bare muscles glistening, in pink spandex compression sleeves and fitness shorts, holding water pistols. He is a graduate of Columbia University. He speaks Japanese well, and wants people to know it.

Berti, along with friends Dean Newcombe and Jessica H, was a popular target for Japanese media photographers. Jessica posed holding a sign declaring solidarity with the unfolding protests in Kudankulam, where thousands of Indian women from the nearby village of Idinthakarai have gathered at a nuclear generating station to prevent the loading of fuel.

Jessica works in human resources for a machinery corporation’s conveyance subsidiary. She has lived in Tokyo for 24 years. Asked if she feels it’s important for foreigners to make themselves visible at the protests, she replied, “I don’t consider myself not Japanese.” Part time, she’s a life coach. Her self-developed coaching philosophy proclaims the primacy of life’s “transition” moments. She is working to self-publish a book, “In Transit.” It will teach readers how to monitor their progress along a “transition timeline.” She isn’t certain she wants her real name used – visa anxiety. An essay she authored alludes to past nervous breakdowns, subsequent sojourns, a decision to live “on the soul track.”

Dean Newcombe is a British model and actor. He is the founder of Intrepid Model Adventures, which he describes as a “global movement.” He says he has raised 41 million yen for 3/11 relief efforts. The organization’s web materials include a blog of Dean’s volunteer work in Tohoku, a case study of his campaign to help his mother lose weight, a promotional video for a Sanyo handicam that finds Dean wandering a low-budget digital landscape, his playlist (Coldplay, Black Eyed Peas, The Internationale). Also: The Meaning of Life. On this night, he attended the protests for the fifth time. “We’re not against anything,” he said. “We’re about what we want. That’s better for our spiritual energy.” About the role expatriates should play in the protests: “We’ll keep coming. I’ll keep posting pictures.”

Twelve visible Westerners attended as members of the press. Foreign news agencies skewed European: representatives of the Swedish, German, Dutch and French media.

Damon Coulter is a freelance photographer. “Tonight is just for fun,” he said. When the Friday protests began, he was able to sell photos of them. They don’t sell anymore. He nonetheless attends and photographs weekly. The organizers recognize him, are glad for his reliable presence, diligence. An hour after the protest ended, his phone rang; an agency had heard there was a demonstration. Could he cover? It’s already over, he told them – I was there. By then he was having drinks with other expatriate photographers and journalists in Shibuya. He talked about taking the family he has started in Japan back to England.

Here, he can’t afford the kind of education he’d like his children to have, and is apprehensive about submitting them to a high school system he calls “salaryma training.” He recalled how, on a visit to Yokohoma International School, he discovered that every flat surface in the classrooms had been thoughtfully adorned. The Kanagawa public schools his children would have to attend are bare-walled and septic. But he also wondered aloud how much of the public health care and decent schooling Britain offers will vanish before his children reach adulthood. Everywhere seems on the brink.

British photojournalist Tony McNicol’s current project brings him to the protests regularly: black and white portraits of protesters. Tony works in color, but wanted the simplest pictures possible; fill flash disembodies his subjects from the unfolding demonstration. Over the years, many spent freelance, Tony’s primary patrons have been in-flight magazines. He now earns the lion’s share of his income working in communications for Nissan. He feels fortunate to have accomplished what many would like: a career spent writing and photographing in Japan.

He said as much on the following Monday, from a corner table in the FCCJ’s 20th floor lounge. It afforded a view of the world’s largest city, if not the energy that coursed through it, nor the reactors whose names are audible each Friday in Nagatacho.

Emphasis mine.

Roadside_Picnic
Jun 7, 2012

by Fistgrrl

A sexy submarine posted:

Did anyone read this hilarious article on foreigners joining the anti-nuclear rallies?

Emphasis mine.

Has anybody here seen the Yasukuni documentary? There's this bizarre sequence of an American guy, white, in a bad suit and tie and dark sunglasses, showing up to support Koizumi's visit and being assaulted by a crowd of elderly Japanese men. None of the trailers seem to have the sequence, though.

Edit: Wait, we're in luck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Iwz2AFbqY&feature=channel&list=UL

Starts at 4:20, subtitles in Chinese.

Roadside_Picnic fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 24, 2012

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

CronoGamer posted:

Senkaku question for you all. I'm cursorily familiar with the history of the islands, mostly from reading articles the past two weeks and browsing Wikipedia. What's confusing me is the insistence by the Chinese that they used to be part of China at all. Am I wrong in my understanding that they used to be part of Ryukyu? And that Ryukyu was a kingdom of its own but paid tribute to both China and Japan for centuries? Then Japan annexed Ryukyu at the end of the 19th century, taking the islands from Kagoshima all the way to Senkaku. Is that right so far?

Then why do China-supporters say it was taken over by Japan in WW2 and shouldve been returned? Did something happen between the annexation in 1895 and the outbreak of hostilities/expansionism that was Imperial Japan? Do I have the facts wrong or are people skewing them to make the claim?

Chinese sailors were in all likelihood the first to see the Senkakus. The Chinese put the islands on their maps and claimed them as Chinese, but never developed them in any way, and probably never even set foot on them. The islands were mostly route markers for ships going to Ryukyu.

The Japanese investigated the islands in the late 19th century and determined (properly) that they were terra nullis. They claimed the islands and Japanese people lived on them and developed them a little bit until WWII. 80 years after the Japanese claimed the Senkakus in the early 1970's, the Chinese finally got around to denouncing the Japanese claim. Surely the discovery of oil in the seas around the islands a couple of years before that was totally unrelated.

In short:

Chinese claim: We saw it first. Sure we didn't claim for 70 years and even recognized it as Japanese territory for much of that time, but it's totally an integral part of the Chinese motherland how dare you take it from us?

Japanese claim: We investigated the islands and found no one using them or claiming them. Our citizens actually lived on and developed the islands and no one questioned our claim until just a couple decades ago. There is no legitimate conflict here.

Few land squabbles are so black and white as this one, but in this case the Japanese are 100% in the right and the Chinese claims are 100% bullshit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That is really disingenuous or, if you're arguing in good faith, extremely biased.

First, the Japanese "investigated" the islands and miraculously found that there were no legitimate claims is ridiculous on the face of it. You said yourself that the Chinese mapped and claimed them long before the Japanese ever showed up. Put this properly in the context of Japan annexing Taiwan at the time, it's pretty clear that they didn't just find the islands and politely ask the Chinese about their legal status.

Second, of course the Chinese recognized the Senkakus as Japanese territory. The Chinese perspective is that the Diaoyus are part of Taiwan, which was ceded to Japan in the Treaty of Shimonoseki, to which the Qing Emperor acceded. So yes, the Chinese recognized the Senkakus as Japanese territory annexed from China in 1895. Their argument is that it should have been returned to China along with Taiwan.

Third, the idea that they waited around for 70 years without lodging a protest is simply wrong. The Chinese government protested immediately. The Treaty of San Francisco, which decided how Japan would handle the dissolution of its overseas empire and was basically dictated by the U.S., was signed September 8 1951. Neither the PRC nor RoC governments were invited. The PRC published denunciations of the treaty both during the negotiations in August, and on September 18th, ten days after it was signed. Neither the PRC nor RoC ratified the treaty. The PRC's position has been that the treaty is illegal since before it was even signed. The 1970s claim was prompted by the U.S. returning Okinawa to Japanese administration, but it was hardly the first.

Fourth, the only thing I can find about Japanese habitation or improvement of the islands is a WWII era lighthouse that has been abandoned far longer than it was in use.

What this really turns on is whether China can prove that the Diaoyus are part of Taiwan, instead of part of Okinawa as Japan claims. Because China was in chaos during the time when modern Western treaty law took hold in East Asia, the Chinese never had a chance to establish a claim in law even though they pretty clearly arrived first and own the nearest land mass. This is why you see the Chinese throwing out "bullshit" historical claims, because their government was a total mess from 1860-1960 and they missed the window to establish a claim in Western law.

Meanwhile, Japan's claim is really shaky too. The Japanese de facto claim to the islands came about basically because the Japanese told the Americans that the islands were part of Okinawa and there were no Chinese in the room to disagree. The Japanese "terra nullis" claim is obviously weaker than the Chinese claim on the same basis so the de facto claim is pretty much the important one.

You can disagree about who should be administering a few rocks in the ocean, but your characterization of the issue is deeply unfair.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

anime hatoyama is less impressive than anime koizumi

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
^^^^^^^^^^^ what in the almighty gently caress is that

Arglebargle III posted:

Fourth, the only thing I can find about Japanese habitation or improvement of the islands is a WWII era lighthouse that has been abandoned far longer than it was in use.

The only thing I can contribute here is that every time I've read about the "history" of the dispute in the paper, they mention that some family who owned the islands before the Kuriharas opened and were running a bonito factory there.

edit: Yeah, just google "senkaku islands bonito" and you get a whole lot of links mentioning at least 40 years of inhabitation.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 24, 2012

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Weatherman posted:

The only thing I can contribute here is that every time I've read about the "history" of the dispute in the paper, they mention that some family who owned the islands before the Kuriharas opened and were running a bonito factory there.

edit: Yeah, just google "senkaku islands bonito" and you get a whole lot of links mentioning at least 40 years of inhabitation.

This was what sparked my question in the topic, actually. I read about the factory that they started in 1910 and ran up until roughly the start of the war in the Pacific and that confused me because comments I'd read from pro-China people claimed that the islands only fell under Japanese control due to WW2 landgrabs.

Arglebargle, thanks for the solid posts. I'm living in Japan now so most of my sources tend to be a little skewed to say the least, so it's good to hear a differing P.O.V. Also, that first post helped a lot too because it explained a little better why Taiwan has a claim staked in this as well.

Inu's argument is definitely biased, and I don't think it's nearly as 100% black and white as that, but it still DOES seem to me that Japan has the stronger claim. How far back can a land claim go and still have validity if you never settled the area? Iceland doesn't have any claim over Newfoundland even though the Vikings settled there and found it before the country that would eventually become Canada. If the Chinese never did anything besides pass the islands, say "yo dibs on these guys" and move on, and when the Japanese claimed them as part of the Ryukyus centuries ago and the Chinese didn't do anything about it, and then they actually settled on them and built things there, doesn't that make it a stronger claim for Japan

skysedge
May 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

The Chinese position is that they were part of Taiwan Province since its establishment in the Ming dynasty. From the Chinese point of view, the islands went with Taiwan when it was lost to Japan in the late 19th century, and should have been returned along with all the other land Japan had to give back at the end of WWII. The treaty does not specifically mention the Diaoyus but the wording strongly implies that non-enumerated islands historically belonging to China were also to be returned.

The Japanese position as I understand it is that the Senkakus were never part of Taiwan in the first place, and instead are part of Okinawa so they don't have to give them back. Naturally the Chinese are not impressed with arguments about the internal administrative boundaries of the Japanese Empire.

The problem is that the islands have never been inhabited, so this ownership has always been nominal. Because they're not mentioned specifically in treaty law, and since the Ming dynasty Chinese never established settlements on them, there's really nothing for modern law to go on other than defacto administration. If China could prove that the islands were historically Chinese then their argument would be quite sound, but they can't.

Minor quibble that turned out to be longer than I expected:

Taiwan was formally incorporated as a Province of Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) in 1885, 10 years before being ceded to Japan. Taiwan was never actually formally part of the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644). The first Han Chinese settlements in Taiwan were established by the Dutch East India Company in southern Taiwan in 1624, who imported laborers from Mainland China.

The Dutch were driven off Taiwan near the end of the Ming Dynasty by Koxinga (a pirate turned Ming loyalist) in 1662, who eventually declared the central and southern part of Taiwan to be the Ming remnant Kingdom of Tungning. The Kingdom was wiped out in 1683 by the Qing Dynasty, who stuck Taiwan (or the parts they exercised control over... namely, about a 10 meter radius around any Qing officials sent to Taiwan) under the administration of Fujian Province. For the most part, Taiwan was a mini version of the American Wild West with the Qing court more or less ignoring it till the late 19th century.

By this time, there was nominal Qing control along the western coast of Taiwan around the major cities, though the west coast and the central mountains were still considered barbarian (aboriginal) territory. The exact extent of Qing control is still debated, which wasn't helped by the fact that the imperial court had a way of changing their claims depending on what the issue was. For example, when confronted by other maritime powers about their shipwrecked sailors getting their heads chopped off by Taiwanese aborigines, the Qing had a tendency of disowning all aboriginal land.

The Japanese eventually got interested in Taiwan around this time, following their absorption of the Ryukyu Kingdom in 1879. The Qing imperial court finally got it into their heads that Taiwan might be worth something, and belatedly started to send more capable administrators to Taiwan, formally incorporating it as a province in 1885. This was probably the result of the Sino-French War in 1885, where several battles took place between French and Qing troops in Taiwan.

Interestingly, if you visit some places in northern Taiwan during Ghost Month (the 7th lunar month), some temples still try to appease the spirits of deceased French troops with french bread, red wine, and pizza (apparently, they're all European). No hard feelings, right?

Anyhow, the Japanese won the Sino-Japanese War in 1895, and Taiwan (along with whatever outlying islands it may or may not have included) turned into a Japanese colony. Since Taiwan and the Ryukyus were both part of Japan at that point, there really wasn't any dispute in terms of fishing rights around the entire island chain stretching from Taiwan to Japan. Eventually, WWII happened and Japan ended up relinquishing sovereignty over Taiwan (although to whom is not quite clear), and the Ryukyus went over to U.S. administration.

skysedge fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 24, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
After I posted I realized I had the wrong dynasty for the conquest/pacification/settlement of Taiwan but I was too lazy to change it. Sorry!

The heart of the problem is the dispute over how Japan got the islands in 1895. In Japan's view, they found them unclaimed while coincidentally annexing the large inhabited island nearby through war. In China's view, they were part of the annexed territory. Because of this fundamental difference in point of view, the Japanese can argue all they want about how they found and improved and administrated the islands and the Chinese won't care; and the Chinese can argue all they want about the Treaty of San Francisco and the occupied territories and the Japanese won't care. They can just go around and around with the arguments because they fundamentally don't accept each other's interpretation of what happened in 1895.

When experts call the sovereignty issue on the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands "murky" or "confused" it's because it is.

Personally I think Japan's original claim is sketchy as hell, but the intervening 100 years have really muddied things up. Especially the islands changing hands from Japan to America and back again. What a mess.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 24, 2012

skysedge
May 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Personally I think Japan's original claim is sketchy as hell, but the intervening 100 years have really muddied things up. Especially the islands changing hands from Japan to America and back again. What a mess.

You'll get no argument from me there about the whole thing being a mess.

Practically speaking, the crowd in Taiwan interested in Diaoyutai can basically be broken down into fisherman mostly from Ilan County (northeast Taiwan), who traditionally consider the waters around the islands to be part of their fishing grounds, and various Chinese nationalist / pro-unification (with China) groups. The distinction between the two is that the former generally are more interested in the right to fish around the disputed islands than any sovereignty argument, whereas the latter are more into the whole "LITTLE JAPAN OFF SOVEREIGN CHINESE TERRITORY, UNITED FRONT WITH THE PRC"-thing.

Neither group really attracts much interest in mainstream Taiwanese opinion, but the second group less so, since they have a tendency of parading around with PRC flags and declaring Taiwan as Chinese territory, which generally doesn't go over too well.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Arglebargle III posted:

That is really disingenuous or, if you're arguing in good faith, extremely biased.

First, the Japanese "investigated" the islands and miraculously found that there were no legitimate claims is ridiculous on the face of it. You said yourself that the Chinese mapped and claimed them long before the Japanese ever showed up. Put this properly in the context of Japan annexing Taiwan at the time, it's pretty clear that they didn't just find the islands and politely ask the Chinese about their legal status.

Second, of course the Chinese recognized the Senkakus as Japanese territory. The Chinese perspective is that the Diaoyus are part of Taiwan, which was ceded to Japan in the Treaty of Shimonoseki, to which the Qing Emperor acceded. So yes, the Chinese recognized the Senkakus as Japanese territory annexed from China in 1895. Their argument is that it should have been returned to China along with Taiwan.

Third, the idea that they waited around for 70 years without lodging a protest is simply wrong. The Chinese government protested immediately. The Treaty of San Francisco, which decided how Japan would handle the dissolution of its overseas empire and was basically dictated by the U.S., was signed September 8 1951. Neither the PRC nor RoC governments were invited. The PRC published denunciations of the treaty both during the negotiations in August, and on September 18th, ten days after it was signed. Neither the PRC nor RoC ratified the treaty. The PRC's position has been that the treaty is illegal since before it was even signed. The 1970s claim was prompted by the U.S. returning Okinawa to Japanese administration, but it was hardly the first.

What this really turns on is whether China can prove that the Diaoyus are part of Taiwan, instead of part of Okinawa as Japan claims. Because China was in chaos during the time when modern Western treaty law took hold in East Asia, the Chinese never had a chance to establish a claim in law even though they pretty clearly arrived first and own the nearest land mass. This is why you see the Chinese throwing out "bullshit" historical claims, because their government was a total mess from 1860-1960 and they missed the window to establish a claim in Western law.

Meanwhile, Japan's claim is really shaky too. The Japanese de facto claim to the islands came about basically because the Japanese told the Americans that the islands were part of Okinawa and there were no Chinese in the room to disagree. The Japanese "terra nullis" claim is obviously weaker than the Chinese claim on the same basis so the de facto claim is pretty much the important one.

You can disagree about who should be administering a few rocks in the ocean, but your characterization of the issue is deeply unfair.

On the first point I would say that the investigation was legitimate. It probably (probably! who knows really?) was China who first found the islands, but that doesn't mean anything in international law because China never did anything with them. When Japan looked at the islands in the 1890's, they found no legitimate claim to them. China's claim was not legitimate as they had never done anything other then write them down on maps. (And keep in mind that people couldn't even measure longitude accurately at sea until the late 19th century, so non-existant islands appeared on old maps all the time.) Basically, nothing that happened before the 1890's has reliable enough records to count for anything.

The Japanese did claim the Senkaku's around the same time as Taiwan, but it was a separate action from the annexation of Taiwan. China can say that they (or the Qing, rather) gave the Senkakus to Japan under duress with the rest of Taiwan, but why should they be able to determine which far-flung islands that they had no real control over were "part of Taiwan province"? That gives them ridiculous leeway to claim whatever they want on the basis that it was handed over "as part of Taiwan". The Qing didn't even control all of Taiwan for that matter!

This is why I don't see that the Treaty of San Francisco even matters unless you are willing to allow China to assign whatever islands it wants to be part of Taiwan Prefecture. And for that matter, Taiwan wasn't given to China in the treaty anyway. It was freed from Japanese control and the people of Taiwan should been allowed the freedom to choose their own government under UN law. But for reasons of (mostly US) convenience, the Republic of China de facto gained control of Taiwan. But, hey, it's all a moot point since randomly assigning the Senkakus to be part of Taiwan is ridiculous in the first place!

As for your fourth point, this was addressed already, but Japanese did actually live and work on the islands. There was a bonito factory. The Japanese did in fact develop the islands beyond just slapping up a lighthouse. However, even if they had done was put up a lighthouse, that would still be more than China ever did with the islands.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aaand this is why the Chinese and Japanese just go around in circles about this. The Chinese don't accept the legitimacy of the terra nullius claim, and the Japanese don't accept a historical Chinese claim. Because Japan was kicking China's rear end at the time the modern Chinese understandably feel that Japan's claim is illegitimate because the Chinese couldn't contest the terra nullius claim at the time. Because Taiwan was only recently incorporated into China the Japanese don't accept that the islands were ugghaaaaaa

They're such small islands.

:negative:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

Aaand this is why the Chinese and Japanese just go around in circles about this. The Chinese don't accept the legitimacy of the terra nullius claim, and the Japanese don't accept a historical Chinese claim. Because Japan was kicking China's rear end at the time the modern Chinese understandably feel that Japan's claim is illegitimate because the Chinese couldn't contest the terra nullius claim at the time. Because Taiwan was only recently incorporated into China the Japanese don't accept that the islands were ugghaaaaaa

They're such small islands.

:negative:
In the same way that a national flag is just a bit of fabric, and Mohammed is just some historical guy, I guess. They're just symbols of ancient historical grievances.

edit: and clearly ancient historical grievances are really REALLY profitable to the right kinds of politicians.

LngBolt
Sep 2, 2009
Supposedly there is also undersea oil and gas there. I suspect that's the real reason for the dispute.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
And Japan's new future energy policy (replacing the Nuclear with fossil fuels) is a bigger influence now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LP97S posted:

And Japan's new future energy policy (replacing the Nuclear with fossil fuels) is a bigger influence now.
Which is completely back-asswards (not in the sense of moving away from nuclear specifically but the sense of moving TO fossil fuels) but I guess that's neither here nor there.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

LngBolt posted:

Supposedly there is also undersea oil and gas there. I suspect that's the real reason for the dispute.

Except that the dispute has been going on for decades now.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Except that the dispute has been going on for decades now.

Yes, just like how it was decades ago that oil was first thought to be under those hunks of rocks.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
All of these disputes are just bullshit political theater to keep nationalists busy. For politicians it's a no-lose proposition, if you win, you can grandstand about how you outmaneuvered the duplicitous [country name here], if you lose, you can grandstand about how the duplicitous [country name here] have screwed you again, and if it drags on interminably, you can drag out the dead horse for another few licks to score points with racist shitbags. Doesn't matter which country is doing what to who, there's no incentive for politicians to resolve the issues amicably.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Either way I read an article yesterday that argued that the Chinese protesters are dangerously close to going off-script and the government should start reining them in any day now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Either way I read an article yesterday that argued that the Chinese protesters are dangerously close to going off-script and the government should start reining them in any day now.

They've already started, definitely. Aside from any political perspective, the Chinese public has a low tolerance for disorder. If people were out burning things every day the public would perceive it as a failure of government.

PrezCamachoo
Jan 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And people are finally figuring out that burning down a Japanese factory in China hurts the Chinese economy way more than the Japanese.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Roadside_Picnic posted:

Has anybody here seen the Yasukuni documentary? There's this bizarre sequence of an American guy, white, in a bad suit and tie and dark sunglasses, showing up to support Koizumi's visit and being assaulted by a crowd of elderly Japanese men. None of the trailers seem to have the sequence, though.

Edit: Wait, we're in luck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Iwz2AFbqY&feature=channel&list=UL

Starts at 4:20, subtitles in Chinese.

This is amazing. What made him think that it'd be a good idea to wave an American flag around in a crowd of ultra-nationalists, who were there to commemorate dead war criminals from WWII?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Adrastus posted:

This is amazing. What made him think that it'd be a good idea to wave an American flag around in a crowd of ultra-nationalists, who were there to commemorate dead war criminals from WWII?

It starts off very friendly until the police show up.

Roadside_Picnic
Jun 7, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Lemmi Caution posted:

It starts off very friendly until the police show up.

I'd actually recommend seeing the whole thing. With the pissing contest between Japan and the PRC back in action, it's sobering to see the actual human beings affected by what is, in the last analysis, pretty much the enduring presence of fascism in Japan. I saw it in Tokyo when it came out in and uyoku were calling in bomb threats to the theaters, and was emotionally gutted by the close of the film.

trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVLCaitzPg

Roadside_Picnic fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 27, 2012

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.
There's been big news today regarding the yen. The Finance Minister has been sacked and the Yen is apparently going to be the hot topic of discussion at the G7. This could signal a major poo poo away from the "talk the yen down" approach and hint at a far more aggressive approach to rebuilding export receipts.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ClubmanGT posted:

There's been big news today regarding the yen. The Finance Minister has been sacked and the Yen is apparently going to be the hot topic of discussion at the G7. This could signal a major poo poo away from the "talk the yen down" approach and hint at a far more aggressive approach to rebuilding export receipts.

Lol unless some country besides Japan has came out and said "we will talk about the yen," then all this is is merely Japan stating what they think the rest of the world is going to talk about at G7. Last time they went, they did the same thing, "We will talk about the high yen." and all that happened was there was a statement made uninamiously by the council that "We understand you are having a hard time with the high yen, but it is the opinion of the council that currency manipulation is "A Bad Thing." Don't do it. NEXT" It never even got a full article in a newspaper it was just like a paragraph.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The thing that's ridiculous is that there isn't anything the Japanese government can do. They have two really dumb options:

A) Bankroll the bailout of the Eurozone in order to stop the financial markets from throwing tons of money into yen as their last safe place.

B) Peg the yen to the USD and lose all monetary sovereignty.

Neither of these options are viable or make sense. The high yen has nothing to do with any policies in Japan. It's all global factors, but yet we have financial ministers stepping down over it. Ain't nothing the G7 or Diet can do about it.

I understand they're frustrated by it, but it frustrates the poo poo out of me that these politicians and liaisons can be so dumb about something that seems quite obvious to me. I guess they're paid to try to act like they can fix poo poo, though.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

ErIog posted:

I guess they're paid to try to act like they can fix poo poo, though.
Sounds like a pretty good definition of "Politician" to me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trying to boost the high-tech export market right now is pretty insane. China's exports are dropping like a stone; if China can't get people to buy their exports then nobody can.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
I translated a position paper for an energy policy think tank awhile back that rightly pointed out that the new solar energy subsidies are going to be mostly throwing money into a black hole, because there is no way in hell that domestic manufacturers of solar cells and whatnot will be able to compete on the international market thanks to the high yen. Stimulating that industry is pretty much pointless, since the other incentives mean that people who are trying to get the subsidies for home use are going to buy the cheapest equipment they can find, which is likely to be Chinese. Germany's solar subsidies had essentially the same problems and had to be massively restructured, yet the Diet went ahead with a plan based on the the failed policy in Germany, to no one's surprise whatsoever, I should imagine.

LngBolt
Sep 2, 2009
Not every country can be a net exporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.

ErIog posted:

Neither of these options are viable or make sense. The high yen has nothing to do with any policies in Japan. It's all global factors, but yet we have financial ministers stepping down over it. Ain't nothing the G7 or Diet can do about it.

Sounds sadly close to home. I suspect the end result will be the same - currency stays high until the economy can't export it's way out of paying the bills, the Balance Payments and Debt Service relative to BOP goes tits up and the currency isn't seen as such a safe haven anymore.