Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah his abuse has been well known for decades. I wouldn't even call it an open secret. It's just been common knowledge but never discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair the BBC does have good form for only discussing an entertainer's molestation habits after the fucker dies.

Jimmy Saville definitely came to mind. Unfortunately it's likely to end the same way, too- a token investigation that's quickly buried, and nothing changes.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm kind of confused about this gay marriage ruling. They upheld the ban, but people are still happy because they said it kind of sucks?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lammasu posted:

I'm kind of confused about this gay marriage ruling. They upheld the ban, but people are still happy because they said it kind of sucks?

the court in nagoya found that not recognizing same-sex marriages violates two articles of the japanese constitution: article 14 which guarantees equality under the law, and article 24 which guarantees marriage freedom. it did not award damages, however, on the grounds that the government has not been unduly slow in updating the laws. the thinking there is that the first municipalities to start recognizing same-sex unions did so in 2015 and the case in question stems from the plaintiffs being barred from registering as a married couple was "only" in 2019. i don't think courts in japan can really do much more than point out that shits unconstitutional and award damages if they belief the government has been too unresponsive. maybe they can, but just don't. not sure if this is a japanese govt thing, or a quality shared by all states with civil codes as opposed to common law.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230530/p2g/00m/0na/025000c

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Mr. Fix It posted:

the court in nagoya found that not recognizing same-sex marriages violates two articles of the japanese constitution: article 14 which guarantees equality under the law, and article 24 which guarantees marriage freedom. it did not award damages, however, on the grounds that the government has not been unduly slow in updating the laws. the thinking there is that the first municipalities to start recognizing same-sex unions did so in 2015 and the case in question stems from the plaintiffs being barred from registering as a married couple was "only" in 2019. i don't think courts in japan can really do much more than point out that shits unconstitutional and award damages if they belief the government has been too unresponsive. maybe they can, but just don't. not sure if this is a japanese govt thing, or a quality shared by all states with civil codes as opposed to common law.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230530/p2g/00m/0na/025000c

So, gay marriage when? I guess it's not like the US where when the supreme court legalized it places didn't even have enough time to print up new forms. And Japan is kind of weird about homosexuality.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lammasu posted:

So, gay marriage when? I guess it's not like the US where when the supreme court legalized it places didn't even have enough time to print up new forms. And Japan is kind of weird about homosexuality.

unknown. the govt is in the process of passing a bill "to promote understanding of LGBT people" with nothing about marriage in it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

And to make things more complex, lower courts have done the same before apparently, while the Supreme Court still goes “nah.”

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

There's also a popular majority now for legalizing same-sex marriage but the LDP has a sizable contingent of ultraconservatives who are digging their heels in on the issue. Unsurprisingly the same conservatives are also a good chunk of PM Kishida's power base within the party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought Kishida was on the more moderate wing of the party? Or is he just more moderate on rebuilding the empire?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does the Japanese big corporations have any LGBT friendly policies ahead of the law? Like offer health benefit to your same sex partner or something like that?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does the Japanese big corporations have any LGBT friendly policies ahead of the law? Like offer health benefit to your same sex partner or something like that?

Health benefits aren't as big an issue in Japan as the U.S. in particular because of how the benefits work here (the public option is more safety net than NHS but it exists, otherwise costs are kept low through caps on medicine and clinical prices).

I work for a major multinational that supports Pride in European countries and the U.S., but doesn't have much of a peep when it comes to Pride here. Japan's 25+ years behind. Remember how recent Corporate Pride is, and same-sex marriage is in the U.S. and Western Europe as well. Japan's hardly an exception in East Asia.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Tesseraction posted:

I thought Kishida was on the more moderate wing of the party? Or is he just more moderate on rebuilding the empire?

just going off of vibes, kishida feels center-right for the current LDP. he's tight with the same nippon kaigi folks that abe was, but seems less stridently conservative. i doubt he has any actual strongly held beliefs and is just triangulating whatever will keep the base engaged and attract enough swing voters to maintain power.

apropos of kishida, he had to can his son, who was his nepotism executive policy secretary, for having a party at the pm's official residence and taking a picture at the special stairs:

quote:

Photos published by the Shukan Bunshun weekly magazine showed his son Shotaro and about 10 relatives posing or lying on the symbolically important red-carpeted stairs of the residence in an imitation of group photos of newly appointed cabinets. Shotaro is at the centre – the position reserved for the prime minister.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/30/japan-pm-fires-son-after-pictures-emerge-of-inappropriate-private-party-at-official-residence

honestly some dumb bullshit, but kishida absolutely fumbled it by not just finding a punishment just short of dismissal immediately and then getting brow-beaten by the media into firing him. not looking forward to baby kishida's future political career. he's gonna be spending the next 20 years grinding his axe for the press.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly given the state of the UK right now it's nice to see a parliamentary monarchy where the concept of repercussions exist.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

just going off of vibes, kishida feels center-right for the current LDP. he's tight with the same nippon kaigi folks that abe was, but seems less stridently conservative. i doubt he has any actual strongly held beliefs and is just triangulating whatever will keep the base engaged and attract enough swing voters to maintain power.

apropos of kishida, he had to can his son, who was his nepotism executive policy secretary, for having a party at the pm's official residence and taking a picture at the special stairs:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/30/japan-pm-fires-son-after-pictures-emerge-of-inappropriate-private-party-at-official-residence

honestly some dumb bullshit, but kishida absolutely fumbled it by not just finding a punishment just short of dismissal immediately and then getting brow-beaten by the media into firing him. not looking forward to baby kishida's future political career. he's gonna be spending the next 20 years grinding his axe for the press.

Okay but that’s a funny picture everyone needs to chill out

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I thought they had to amend the constitution in order to do this kind of thing?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1669549118467846145

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh, just like the USA redefines war to avoid needing to get Congress involved, Japan has consistently redefined the military to let them do whatever they want.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 16, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was always under the impression that the JSDF can do basically anything as long as aren't involved with an active invasion. Weren't they present in Afghanistan but only as part of the medical teams?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Charlz Guybon posted:

"Protecting Taiwan from invasion is an integral part of Japan's self-defence" is I assume the argument

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tesseraction posted:

I was always under the impression that the JSDF can do basically anything as long as aren't involved with an active invasion. Weren't they present in Afghanistan but only as part of the medical teams?

A Taiwanese political commentator professor I follow explained that during Abe's time, they basically re-interpret the law to such an extend that the Japanese army (whatever the name) basically can do anything during a war. There is no further legal collar they need to unlock.

So basically the amendment they are pushing for is purely ceremonial. You are still figuratively wearing this "peaceful" collar. So if LDP wants to take off the collar in board daylight that's already unlocked; further increase the military spending; officially change the name to "army", and a bunch of other stuff, they want to change the law officially.

So really from the Chinese and Korean POV, they don't care if Japan want to change the law themselves. The Chinese never buy Japan want to be peaceful. You want to change it, go right ahead.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/AkaneFurukawa/status/1673317960935702528

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol that's amazing. Dude looks so uncomfortable.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Holy poo poo :lmao:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Old habits die hard.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Do you think he's bragging about Japan raising the age of consent to 16?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Does Japan have any tradition of having business executives testify before the parliament? The way Musk is messing up Twitter I'm surprised no one has suggested that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I assume Musk would just reply to any attempts to summons him with his stupid cry-laugh emoji. Apparently visual kei pioneers X Japan are suddenly a hot topic now thanks to Musk's stupidity, so at least aging jrock fans get to hurrah about them for a day or two.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

I assume Musk would just reply to any attempts to summons him with his stupid cry-laugh emoji. Apparently visual kei pioneers X Japan are suddenly a hot topic now thanks to Musk's stupidity, so at least aging jrock fans get to hurrah about them for a day or two.

I’m pretty sure the official reply when asked for comment to Tesla and now Twitter is literally just 💩 in response. Just the emoji. That’s all.

Also X Japan and the leader of the group, the drummer/pianist Yoshiki, aren’t just aging rock stars. Still treated as pop culture royalty. Believe it or not, appearances by Yoshiki (including performances on TV) are like Paul McCartney-esque in how special they get treated. Plus he’s legitimately an excellent musician, maybe more Prince than you’d think from the X Japan catalog.

More importantly though let’s keep laughing at Elno and his stumbles through money laundering or whatever the hell the endgame is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I wasn't making fun of Yoshiki, I was making fun of myself. And yes it is very funny.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Does Japan have any tradition of having business executives testify before the parliament? The way Musk is messing up Twitter I'm surprised no one has suggested that.
I thought the Diet only had the power to compel people to appear as witnesses when the Diet was using its powers of investigation, but apparently that isn't true in theory and they can also do so in relation to bills they're deliberating on, but this is extremely rare, and in practice this power is only used when investigating government misconduct or things of that nature.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think it’s less the Diet and more government ministries, as seen with the Transport Ministry (MLIT) calling Big Motor to the carpet after it came out that they were apparently, allegedly committing insurance fraud with car repairs.

So if they wanted to try and rake Musk or a deputy over the coals, it would probably be METI.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1684775987555266560

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds like the Japanese government might finally be making moves towards kicking out the Unification Church.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/04/japan-may-seek-to-dissolve-moonies-church-in-wake-of-shinzo-abe-killing

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bloody Pom posted:

Sounds like the Japanese government might finally be making moves towards kicking out the Unification Church.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/04/japan-may-seek-to-dissolve-moonies-church-in-wake-of-shinzo-abe-killing

Number of Amendments to the Japanese Constitution Abe Shinzo got passed and ratified: 0

Number of Right-Wing Religious Personality Cults dissolved due to the actions of Yamagami Testuya: 1 (soon)

you love to see it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does this speak to the weakness of love for Shinzo Abe, or to the depth of people's irritation with the Moonies?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Nessus posted:

Does this speak to the weakness of love for Shinzo Abe, or to the depth of people's irritation with the Moonies?

little bit of column A, little bit of column B

source: the vibes around me

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's still absolutely amazing that the consensus in Japanese society is basically "the assassin had some pretty good points".

It says some very bad things about the health of the political debate. Like, in other countries there may be institutional repression and censorship of that kind of criticism, but in Japan it just seems like a society wide thing. The Unification Church's political ties have clearly been an issue for a long time but it didn't get attention.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

There were takes like a day after the assassination that the main outcome would be the oppression of all minorities for some reason.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm guessing a lot of people in the Japanese establishment who aren't moonies are pretty eager to get rid of them too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

There were takes like a day after the assassination that the main outcome would be the oppression of all minorities for some reason.

I'm sure the government was desperately hoping to spin it that way before the story came out.

Peel posted:

I'm guessing a lot of people in the Japanese establishment who aren't moonies are pretty eager to get rid of them too.

Also wouldn't surprise me. I'm guessing it's one of those things everyone just felt they had to put up with until they realised it could actually have consequences, then they looked around and realised no one actually likes the cult that everyone knows cons people out of their life savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There's a youtube video that keeps popping up on my feed I've yet to watch, but the title is something like "Shinzo Abe was assassinate by a homemade shotgun, and now everyone hates him" which is hilariously on-the-nose.