Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I think it's very hard to judge somebody speaking a second language unless you have had extensive contact with them and can assess their ability to understand and use language in an appropriate context. There's a lot that can be lost in the translation.

Except of course for things like "wow she's fat", that always gets a "you have a oily face/your skin is so dark/you're short" just they know. There's a big "外国人 =dancing monkey" mindset in NE Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

zmcnulty posted:

Not really. When is the last time you heard Japanese politicians arguing about Japanese culture? I guess you could argue that geopolitical tensions (Korea etc.) are caused by race/culture. But you guys are discussing your own experiences about being a Western living person in Japan, it's completely unrelated.

I do remember Ishihara making some remarks to the Economist about how men are increasingly being cowed by their womenfolk into peeing sitting down. Whether or not he specifically used the phrase "Japanese culture", that seems to be a pretty pointed remark about it, even if it was to a foreign reporter, especially in light of how closely nationalism and gender are linked in Japan and Korea (and really in most countries).

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Could just be it was only that one days' power production was from solar. 50% one day, 0% for the next 15.