Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Team Ninja of Metroid: MOM and Dead or Alive fame is not ever changing how they depict women and you are culturally ignorant for suggesting otherwise:

"Yosuke Hayashi posted:

"With the representation of female characters in the Dead or Alive franchise, we've always wanted to make the girls look as attractive as possible, and that's something that's not going to change for us at all," Hayashi says. "We are a Japanese developer, and we're making the female characters with our common sense and our creative sense. When you take that to countries outside of Japan, it tends to be very misinterpreted in some cases, people considering it sexist or derogatory, etc."
"For us, within our culture, we're showing women like that, and we're trying to make them look attractive," he says. "We can't help if other cultures in other countries around the globe think that it's a bad representation. Within our nationality and within our national borders, we obviously have morals that we create our female characters from, but within our Japanese sensibilities, we've made those characters the way they are and we're not going to stop doing that."
I stopped bringing this up around people because I get weird looks and its not seen as a big deal. It is just not what Japanese girls or guys I've met are interested in.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This got me thinking, what's the age/gender breakdown of voting in Japan? I assume old men vote more than old women and old people vote more than young people, but I don't know for sure. I sure couldn't get a discussion about politics started with anyone my age while I was there...

I've also never met a Japanese person under 30 who is interested in voting. Among friends I've seen no interest in policies that does not some way relate to TEPCO and even then it's less than avid.

All anecdotal of course. I would love to see any numbers on the youth vote.

VVVVV Thanks so much. It's much better than I expected.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

You get weird looks because you are talking about Metroid and Dead or Alive with people in real life, not on the internet

I meant talking to Japanese people about how they view their culture's treatment and depiction of women. It's not seen as a 'problem' and it's a strange thing to talk about in general since it's bad for group cohesion. I've known girls who really think women should strive to be childishly cute and find a cute guys to walk a few paces behind. The weird looks are for suggesting that women should not feel like they have to.

Again, this is all anecdotal. I've had some good friends who could speak openly and criticize their own culture and it's an issue that would only come up with non-foreigners if forced to by foreigners.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lemmi Caution posted:

What?

And what does this have to do with politics? I thought we already had a thread for bullshit conjecture about Japanese society.

I thought about that before bringing it up but I don't want to drop actual debate in the T&T thread, the feminist / women's rights thread has a Western focus, and making an Asian Feminism thread is just :laffo: