Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sorry if these questions come off a little vague but I'm interested in investing in the Yen and Abe's policies. I'm looking for a general idea about whether or not they will work.

1. What's the general feeling about inflation and weakening the yen? Is the yen going to collapse or will it hover where it is and then get stronger again? What's the feeling on Abe's money printing policy? Well reasoned or hair brained?

2. What's the reason for the sales tax hike? To get more money out into the government to lower debt or to try and take away personal savings to (again) inflate the currency? Neither?

3. What will prices on goods and services do if the yen inflates more or strengthens again? I know prices are going down or staying the same right now because of weak exports and people trying to save more.

Edit: derp, inflation, devaluation

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cool picture, but it's in the OP, brah

I ask those questions because I'm considering working in Japan at some point in the next few years or possibly investing in the Yen if it drops down. Part of me thinks that due to the age of the country and the rise of China that deflation is basically unavoidable no matter what, so buying it when it's weak would be a big get for investors.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It's strange how the JPY is tied to policy makers trying to make it weaker. I can't believe that a country would ever want the USA to get stronger so that it can put itself into a submissive export-based position.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

hitension posted:

China? Also, Japan prior to 1985?

Yeah, I should have added "now that China is a thing" in there. What I mean to say is that I can't believe anyone would try to fight China for a share of export markets right now. Cars I could see being possible, because people still see Japanese cars as "the best" mass market cars in the world, but for anything else I can't see where Japan has the edge, besides anime. Japan prior to 1895 was 30 years ago, and a lot has changed in manufacturing and global markets since then.

edit: Abe was in a car crash while going to a "give back Japanese nationals kidnapped during the cold war" rally in Tokyo. Are there any living J-nationals still in North Korea, I wonder?

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 27, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So why is no one talking about how obviously Abe and the LDP are going to keep extending term limits forever? Isn't this one of the first steps to dictatorship? I swear Mussolini, Hitler, et all did the same thing.