Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Have any of you guys tasted whale? I still really want to eat some. I regret not seeking out some whale sushi or however they prepare it the last time I was in Japan.

I have. It's nothing amazing and I felt like a total oval office as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did he say "The Nazis suddenly snuck in a bunch of constitutional reforms right before the war, we should learn from them" or am I misunderstanding?

The quote from him in the article basically reads:

"Germany's Weimar Constitution had changed under everyone's nose. It had been altered without anyone noticing. We must learn that tactic."

The article then adds he further stated "[It] should not be decided in times of disturbance" and that constitutional reform should occur in a peaceful environment.

The impression I got from this is that he meant "Constitutional reform should occur when things are settled down and everyone's rational. The Weimar Constitution was altered during chaotic times and changes were snuck in under radar, and we must learn from that [lest we repeat the same sort of mistakes]." He worded it unbelievably poorly though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There's not enough context in the article to provide a clearer picture, but the wording of the first quote in a vacuum is "we need to do learn that tactic." The second part muddies it up and creates an impression that he either let something slip, or realised it came out all wrong and tried to clear up what he meant to say.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The question I think should be: does his supposed intent really matter? By daring to make the comparison between his own government and the Nazis at all, no matter the context, he is attempting another sanitizing of history. Nazi Germany wasn't some miscalculation by well-meaning people, it wasn't something you "learn from" in any form, and treating the holocaust in that way (even if the "real" intent was something like "we should learn from their mistakes") is a vulgarity.

Why would citing the actions of the Nazis as a lesson in how things shouldn't be done be an attempt at sanitising history?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

But that's very different from wanting to learn from the Nazis themselves.

That's nice and all, but it's pretty loving obvious that's not what Aso meant at all, when the quote is actually viewed in the context of the entirety of the speech.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

The context is that Aso is a high ranking member of a political party trying to change the Japanese constitution. Any interpretation where he's trying to warn against doing what is one of his party's main goals makes no sense. Extra context: he's a dumb old man with a history of making dumb gaffes.

:confused: He's not talking about not changing the Constitution. He's talking about discussing the content of the Constitution and any changes made to it in a rational, calm and coherent manner.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Do you even know who Taro Aso is? He's a hilarious gaffe machine. He says that he meant we should learn from the disastrous changes to the Weimar constitution, but given his history and his party's platform, the more sinister interpretation is all too plausible.

"憲法は、ある日気づいたら、ワイマール憲法が変わって、ナチス憲法に変わっていたんですよ。だれも気づかないで変わった。あの手口学んだらどうかね。

わーわー騒がないで。本当に、みんないい憲法と、みんな納得して、あの憲法変わっているからね。ぜひ、そういった意味で、僕は民主主義を否定するつもりはまったくありませんが、しかし、私どもは重ねて言いますが、喧噪(けんそう)のなかで決めてほしくない。"

Feel free to point out to everyone where he's warning against changing the Constitution.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

So, I assume everyone responsible made a really heartfelt apology and that was the end of it?

The story I've heard is that the PM at the time went absolutely apeshit at his cabinet when he got wind of what happened.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Samuelthebold posted:

What are all of you anticipating?

Empty rhetoric, policy stalled by internal LDP factional squabbling and gently caress-all real reform.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basically, it's "Society for People Involved in Fields of Expression Through Media Such as Music, Art, Acting, Televisual Arts and Publishing who are Opposed to the Special Secrets Protection Law (Abbreviated to: Society for Artists)"

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 5, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pfffft, those stupid Koreans and their historic grievances over being treated like garbage, suffering under a fairly brutal colonial government and forced into doing all sorts of demeaning things that we continually refuse to acknowledge. Just get over it, I know I already have!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"When the Koreans complain about Yasukuni and the textbook issue, all those greedy bastards want is money from the Japanese government!"

My cousin basically said that while I was visiting. Cousin, I am so disappointed in you. He ran in an election for some regional or prefectural seat in the Tohoku region a couple of years ago, and in retrospect, it's probably a good thing he lost by some margin. I do get the sense he plans on running again though. Ugh.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 28, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ozza posted:

You made some solid points, but I have to disagree with this one. Coming from a country where we don't directly elect our Prime Minister (or head of state) either, it does not contribute at all to a disconnection from politics. There are many interrelated reasons for political apathy in Japan, but I don't think this is one of them.

When you look at other countries that have a system where the voters elect a party into power, they nevertheless have a very definite leader in charge so you know that when you vote for, say the Canadian Tories, you're voting for Harper and if you voted for, say, Aussie Labor in their most recent elections, you'd have been voting for Kevin Rudd. The lack of an actual definite leader combined with the constant merry-go-round at the top can not be dismissed as factors contributing greatly to the disconnect that many Japanese feel with politics. I mean, look at the Prime Ministers and how long they've generally lasted during the Heisei-era. Bar a few exceptions, they've generally struggled to stay in office for more than 18 months, particularly the bunch post-Koizumi. poo poo, Koizumi was in office for what seems like a lifetime, but it was actually only 5 years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ozza posted:

I don't disagree that a cast of revolving leaders fosters an atmosphere of political disengagement, I was arguing that a system of non-directly elected of leaders in itself does not result in political apathy.

ErIog never said it was the definitive factor in the first place, but a contributing one, and by inference, one of several though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I grew up in Yokohama in an area with a heavy expat presence (Naka-ku), so seeing non-Japanese wasn't that unusual. There were 3 international schools in the area (Yokohama International, St. Maurs, St. Josephs) and there were stores that catered to the gaijin crowd. Outside of that zone though, I got called a 毛唐 once. I was, like, 10 at the time by the way. When I visit my grandparents who live in Shiogama in the Miyagi Prefecture, I feel like the lone gaijin and oddly enough, no one there really seems to give a poo poo or even give me a second glance.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Whoa what's the story here? Was it to your face?

Mum went shopping and took me and my brother along to either Sogo or Takashimaya, and someone said something like "毛唐の子がいる*." It was about 20 years ago, so the exact details are hazy, but I remember it was some middle aged woman walking by us and my mum (who is Japanese) was loving furious about it. The horrible cow had walked off in the crowd before it really registered what she'd said.

*"Look at the Keto children."

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was just reading this article on a 2ch-connected game blog (I can't really recommend going there yourself) about a Korean (I think?) player on a Japanese soccer team getting booed when walking onto the field, and posters saying JAPANESE ONLY. That alone is one thing, I'm used to hearing stories of soccer fans all over the world being racist. But the problem is, the commenters on this page, a big chunk of them claim that this is actually a Korean conspiracy to make Japan look bad, which is what I hear whenever I read news of Japanese racism. As long as they hold onto that mindset, they're gonna be ignorant scum forever.

There was a thread on 2ch about Terrafor-Mars and the allegations of racism in that manga, and quite a few commenters were basically saying the only racists that existed in East Asia were the チョンシナ, completely oblivious to the irony of the comments.

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a popular manga series about a group of humans who have gone to Mars to exterminate cockroaches which had been placed on the planet as part of a terraforming operation, only to find that they've evolved into humanoid form, and are extremely strong, fast, intelligent and hostile. Oh, and this is what they look like.

The author has said he'd based them on Peking Man and made them black (as in the colour black, not African black) because that's the colour of cockroaches, but it's not hard to wonder about the politics of the series.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 9, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The idea of being forced to give up any citizenship(s) that they had previously is not exactly the most appealing thing. I've got dual citizenship (New Zealand and Japan), and I've been asked repeatedly if I have "chosen" which citizenship to retain. I've refused to answer, because if they're expecting me to give up my NZ citizenship (where I live) or my Japanese citizenship (where I was born and where my mother is from), then they can gently caress right off. Apparently I can retain both anyway, since I was already a dual citizen before 1985 when the law was enacted.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 26, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I don't expect to ever live in Japan, nor do I plan to leave New Zealand in the first place.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh for gently caress's sake, Abe.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ignore it, pretend everything's ticketyboo and it'll go away sooner or later.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So apparently a bunch of ministers resigned? Could someone please give us (i.e. me) a quick summary of what happened?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For gently caress's sake.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: should I be reading anything into the fact that the latter is a woman?

They're both women, mate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's probably also a result of general voter apathy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'd never seen Sakurai before, but gently caress me, he looks like such a loving oval office.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, there's a new trade minister in and, jesus gently caress. :ughh: He hasn't wasted any time at all.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/23/us-japan-politics-idUSKCN0IC09920141023

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/24/us-japan-tepco-idUSKCN0ID03C20141024?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I think New Zealand is commonly acknowledged as being the least nasty; the 1840 Treaty of Waitangi isn't perfect but the very fact that it gave the indigenous population rights equal to that of British citizens and recognized their ownership of their land, and, thanks to the 1867 Maori Representation Act, gave them designated seats in Parliament, was and still is revolutionary.

Really Big Caveats:
- The Treaty wasn't signed by all Maori parties
- Lots of nasty land wars and land confiscations
- Major population drop from 86,000 in 1769 to, at its lowest point, 42,000 in 1869, as the result of disease, war, assimilation, land loss leading to alcoholism and general poor health, etc.

All of which probably EDIT: definitely still qualifies as "mistreated", to be honest, but colonialism is so fundamentally ethnocentric and expropriatory that this is just the only example I could think of that met your criteria and didn't end in a way that's completely horrible :confuoot:

Other caveats would include the Treaty itself being written and signed under highly questionable (at best) circumstances, including the document itself being a self-contradictory mess, not to mention the significant inconsistencies in the translations between the English and Te Reo Maori versions that give considerable credence to the belief that the Treaty of Waitangi was basically a con perpetrated on Maori.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I can't see how that could possibly be abused in any way shape or form.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, he pretty much hosed up the tense there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Only the Japanese name of the party changed. They are still the Democratic Party in English. 民進党 wouldn't be DIP even if they did translate it. It would be Democratic Progressive Party, like the Taiwanese party they ripped the name off of.

I checked the Wikipedia entry, and it seems that they're going with DP as the abbreviation. Wasn't the DPJ itself the result of a merger of a few smaller centre-left parties as well?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Unfortunately the DPJ has been an abject failure at actually doing politics, leaving the LDP, now run by the neonazis, who were always there but were relatively marginalized in the 60s and 70s, as the only vital political force in the country. The last poll I saw had the LDP polling around 35% and the DPJ around 8%
Didn't the DPJ (Were they still called that? I remember reading that they merged again with someone else) pretty much burn away any chance of returning to office being being utterly useless shitcunts while they were in power? I vaguely remember them getting caught up in the controversy surrounding pork barrel projects like the Yanba Dam, while Ozawa just wouldn't gently caress off like everyone wanted him to.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 29, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Japanese politics is too depressing to discuss in real time, also no native speakers/residents are in the conversation, only expats

I am a native speaker of the language, but I haven't lived in Japan in almost 20 years. I don't even live in the same hemisphere, so I generally use this thread to follow what's going on back home.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mystes posted:

According to an FNN poll (link in Japanese), 52.9% of Japanese people are in favor of amending the constitution, and of these 56.3% are in favor of amending Article 9.

This still means that the total number of people in favor of changing Article 9 is low (around 30%), but the percentage in favor of amending the constitution in general is much higher than what it was a year ago (45.5%) (they just added the Article 9 question so it's not possible to compare that with last year). It's possible this is partly because the way the Abe administration went about trying to change the constitution before made almost everyone angry, but as time has passed people's concerns based on that have diminished.

I'd imagine it would also be due to anxiety over the way poo poo's going at the moment, especially with two fuckheads with lovely haircuts and a tendency to throw their toys out of the cot on a regular basis hanging about.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Worse than Mori?

Let's just say that the DPJ PMs pretty much destroyed any possibility that they'll be back in power for quite some time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Abe's approval has fallen below 30%, and there's a fair bit of talk about a post-Abe LDP.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

More like 阿呆 太郎

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Which was the one with Ozawa? I wish he'd just loving gently caress off.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Some background Mio Sugita, that tweeting politician:
She's a comfort women denier;
she was already in hot water for being a rape apologist;
and here's some English coverage of what she's getting death threats for now.

I feel a lot less bad about responding to her most recent tweet with "うるせーんだよ、差別主義者のくせに"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wish Ozawa would just gently caress off and die already.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mystes posted:

There is no Japanese Trump at this point. There would need to be someone who can tie right wing ideology together with economic issues in a convincing way and nobody has been able to do that.

Ishihara is definitely nothing like Trump and if I had to name someone I would say Makoto Sakurai but he's too blatant about hate speech and his attempt to run for governor of Tokyo didn't go very well.

Oh yes, I remember that dumpy Nobita-looking twat. I recall he tried to debate Hashimoto about something (probably Koreans), and was told to gently caress off because he's literally too racist to debate against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

captkirk posted:

What impact is that expected to have on the day to day of the Ainu?

They have their rights as the indigenous people of Japan enshrined as according to the UN declaration on the matter
They can choose to be a self-governing collective
Their right to be protected from discrimination now has to be enshrined in law and their culture now has to be protected
The state has to ensure, if the Ainu choose to do so, that their culture, language, traditions, etc., are revitalised, developed and transmitted to future generations (this can be something like TV broadcasts in their native language like TV broadcasts in Cymru in Wales, or Te Reo Maori in New Zealand)
The state is obliged to allow Ainu children to be enrolled in schools and educated - including in their own language
Ainu can establish Ainu-language media, and state-owned media must reflect the indigenous perspective. Privately owned media must be encouraged to follow suit
Ainu have the right to participate in the political process in their terms in matters that relate to, or affect, them through representatives of their choice, selected on their terms, and maintain their own form of governance
Any legislation that affects them must happen after consultation and negotiation that happens in good faith from the state
If so desired, Ainu can seek to improve their living conditions, and the state has to take measures to assist them
Indigenous women and children, as well as those with special needs, are prioritised for protection
Ainu will have the right to be involved with matters relating to their healthcare, including on the terms of their customs and traditions.
Ainu have the right to the best public healthcare available, and the state is obliged to ensure it is provided when needed
Any land that Ainu currently own that has been traditionally theirs is legally theirs in their terms - with legal recognition and protection as appropriate
Ainu can seek redress for any land that they have lost via confiscation, taken, occupied, used or damaged without their consent, and can seek appropriate compensation (return of land, offer of alternative land, or financial compensation)
Any resources on said land are under the jurisdiction of Ainu, and any outsiders who use that land for waste disposal are open to legal action, and the state is obliged to ensure they receive adequate care for any issues caused by such a scenario
There is to be no use of their land for military purposes, unless it is in the public interest, or with the permission/invite from the Ainu. The state is required to ensure any attempt to do so without fulfilling those requirements doesn't happen
How they use their land is entirely up to the Ainu, and no one else

So lots of big things, lots of little things.