Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

as i understand it the salaryman thing is in large part because office workers get a major chunk of their pay in the form of bonuses, which means that you want to look as though you're working very hard, spending long hours etc

Bonuses aren’t usually based off of performance, for most of the big companies they’re negotiated annually by the union and management. (My company does this). This will be different in purely white-collar companies but then the standards are disclosed.

That discussion also ignores that over the last generation, the number of full-time full employees has decreased and the number on contracts - easier to cut and with less benefits - has grown. And the contract issue has definitely impacted the salaries of those in the Gen X and Millennial cohorts in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anybody know if average Japanese people care a lot about the royal family and the Emperor?

Seems to me I've always heard that they do, at least as much as Brits care about the Queen. But I honestly have no, like, source for this. No polls or surveys or whatever.

I think there’s enough reverence, but it’s hardly going to be as visible as all the love for the Queen (or, the other example that easily comes to mind — the previous King of Thailand).

Hopefully germane anecdote: heard that during the long vacation when the current emperor started the Heisei period in 1988, the local video rental stores ran out of tapes to rent. People wanted something to watch that wasn’t wall-to-wall royal coverage.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

I don’t think I’ve had a conversation with someone outside of my wife about the emperor in the 5 years I’ve lived in Japan. Either way it’s cool as hell that partially due to the coronation day Golden Week is like 8 continuous days this year.

10. 10!! No wonder every flight out of Japan that week is marked up like 250%.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wonder if the few Japanese political activists look at the U.S. political scene with envy?

Apparently some form of Japanese conservatives had a booth at CPAC, which is hilarious to think of.

I don’t think anybody with a functional soul looks at the US political scene with any kind of envy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

At the end of the day it doesn't mean much. But it doesn't mean nothing.

This is basically where I come down on it. I’m not sure the fascism is coming right away, but I don’t believe it means absolutely nothing and is purely innocent.

At least we can all agree to giggle about the concept of year R18 coming down the line.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Probably for the same reason they haven't updated the pay scheme for the JET system, which used to be at a scale to attract Ivy League grads, money.

They did update the pay scale, starting from 2012. They made it start lower :v: I was on the last year starting on the old contracts, which were apparently paying the same all the way from 198x until 2011. I think I did the math once, and yeah, that was closer to getting paid a good office job than it is now (when it’s like an okay starting job, depending on exchange rate).

Also companies keep getting in trouble here for abusing the guest worker programs, for things like “making these interns work like salarymen.” Oops.

At least the overtime rules seem to have scared some companies straight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Now why is Japan so adamant at being able to whale again? And why the hell is Abe still in office?

Old men who saw their fathers and grandfathers’ pride broken by the Americans in WWII.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Yeah, although at least in Tokyo nobody really eats a lot of it. I think some places out in the countryside that have more of a hard-on for it actually serve fried whale cutlets at school lunches.

Was an ALT at a small-town school and went from the highs of seeing the food cart rolled into the staff room with curry dishes to the lows of realizing its くじらカレー in an instant. That was a downer. But even in the inaka it’s hardly a staple dish. It’s really some hardcore nostalgia and pride that keeps it going.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

i'd try whale, though i can't imagine it standing up to the glory that is horse meat

It doesn’t. Tough beef or really lovely bacon, depending on the cut and preparation.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paperwind posted:

Y'all keep arguing when we should be celebrating Hiroshima Day. https://twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/1158762707501441024?s=20

"Celebrating"?

I hope that's satire.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BobbyThompson posted:

Actually, I was rather taken aback by how much the place referenced how Japan entered the war in such an ashamed of their actions way.

To put it kindly, it’s a nice exception to the norm in terms of how the war is treated.

The longer answer runs the gamut, but at best, the common teaching of WWII looks over how Japan entered the war, those motivations, and actions taken during. At worst, you get right-wingers denying things happened and using the nuclear attacks to say they were the one true victim.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Aren't more immigrants coming to Japan though? I saw a fair share of Nigerians and Indians at my stay in Tokyo.

Roughly 4% of the population living in Japan is foreign-born, and at least half of that are from other parts of Asia. Tokyo skews that because it's Tokyo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The one thing I like about USA and Western Europe is that they are so much more readily to admit their war crimes, at least relatively to other countries.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that’s a big old nope there chief.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Heer98 posted:

Is the Ghosn escape getting a lot of attention in the Japanese media? Are people angry or indifferent about a foreign CEO fleeing Japanese justice?

Oh god yes. On the news every night. On the talk shows (both very staid news shows and also “let’s ask celebrities what they think of the news” ones).

Heer98 posted:

Knowing very little about his case, my guess is that he was probably corrupt in some meaningful ways, but not necessarily more so than is the norm for senior executives in a Japanese company, and was essentially so fled out because he’s foreign. Am I really far off the mark here?

So you need to know three things before you dive deeper into the story:

• Renault and Nissan are allies, not joint companies. Renault has more of the stake of value, but Nissan — by volume and revenue — is a much bigger company.
  • Renault is partially owned by the French government
  • Japanese laws changed in the last two years regarding plea bargains

Ghosn is the CEO who brought Nissan into the alliance with Renault, and ran it as CEO of both for almost twenty years. As recently as mid-late 2018 he had been discussing a merger of Renault and Nissan. In early 2019, Ghosn was arrested on incredibly flimsy charges of financial impropriety regarding his pay, and almost immediately removed as CEO of Nissan.

Tl;dr IMO this was a palace coups because factions didn’t want Japan’s second-largest automaker to be owned by a foreign company, which in turn is partially owned by a foreign country.

It’s also bringing out questions of Japan and if the justice system needs reform, but what’s dominating conversation is Ghosn himself.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No reason why it can't both be politically motivated and also him being a typical rich fucker that does money crimes.

It’s definitely a mix of this — Ghosn was very well respected for leading Nissan out of the shits in the 1990s, but was also viewed in recent years as taking “too much” for a CEO in compensation, which reflects right into this case. There was also talk that he would only want to talk with the very top of politicians in France — presidents, not ministers.

That just makes him an all-world ego case, but doesn’t necessarily make him incorrect.

IMO the more interesting and valuable legal case now is Scott McIntyre’s.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1217409660917112832

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mystes posted:

This isn't an international abduction case or anything, right? They were both living in Japan and his wife just left with the kids when they separated?

International no, but stacked in one favor yes. The more interesting angle is how Japanese law does or does not comply with international treaties to which Japan is a party.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mystes posted:

What do you mean by "stacked in one favor"? Stacked in favor of the wife in the case of a divorce? Or something else?

To my knowledge, one side can file papers and get a unilateral divorce in Japan. And in most cases the mother retains 100% custody of kids.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Is Abe still (unfortunately) invincible or has handling covid given him a bloody nose? I want the syncophant out of the Premiership already.

He’s handled the pandemic alright but there are a few other issues popping up, including the prosecutor retirement age and the LDP finance stuff that have come back up in the news the past week.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

But does anyone have any news on Japan and Australia possibly opening their borders to one another?

Last I heard the two governments were in "talks" about easing travel restrictions. But I haven't heard anything since.

Not yet, and not for tourism - first just for business. And would include a ban on those people arriving from using public transit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thanks. Although if/when I would be coming to Japan, I am hoping I would have a valid working visa before arrival.

I am applying for jobs in Japan. Most of them require you to be currently residing in Japan. But there are a few who are prepared to interview me from over here via Skype.

So. fingers crossed.

Japan is still strictly limiting the entry of foreigners, with very few exceptions -- "moving to work" is currently not one of the exceptions. Please understand the only clear guidance is for foreigners on spouse visas or permanent residence, and even then, it's only in certain exceptional circumstances (like flying back to a home country for ill relatives or those who passed away, or if children need to return for schooling).

"Moving to Japan to start work" may be allowed, but probably not, and would also still require a 14-day quarantine at this time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

How conservative is Shinzo Abe again?

George W Bush, both in terms of economics and religion.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

What does right-wing Shintoism look like these days?

Revere the emperor, get rid of the foreigners, let us have a glorious military again. Same as it ever was.

Cabinet ministers visited Yasukuni on the anniversary of WWII ending for the first time in a few years. Same as it ever was.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

from my view it's three main things:

yeah I don't know as much directly about the elections/atomization but 2 and 3 are what I've considered the most. Especially the bad luck to be in power when 3/11 happened and to eat all the blame for that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

i for one hope the people who make my manchild cartoons get an actual living wage, medicare and time off to spend with their families :unsmith:

I mean the medicare is already there, the living wage is a problem because so many are contractors and because the publishers earn more from mega-hits than the creators necessarily do, and while Japan shames the U.S. for public holidays and time off it's nothing compared with Europe.

Rochallor posted:

There was a tiny anti-mask protest in Tokyo I think, a week or two ago. I just saw it on the news so I don't know what their specific ideology was though. Realistically basically everybody is wearing them. Some stores do have signs asking people to wear masks but they're not really necessary.

There was a minor stir when the mayor of Osaka touted gargling medicine as a possible corona salve. (Gargling will apparently ease some symptoms of corona and regular colds but it won't do anything to cure it.) Everybody loving gargles all the time though and I don't get it.

one young-ish dude is trying to make his political bones on "Corona is a hoax / it's no worse than the cold / everything is fine" along with super high levels of nationalism, you may have seen his dumb curtain cut on the political poster for the election in June, but he was also trying to organize a "we ride the Yamanote-sen one loop without masks" spreading event a weekend or two ago.

but other than that kind of absolute wack-job, there really isn't anti-mask sentiment. you still see some shitheads not wearing them / not covering their noses, but eh.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just kinda the same poo poo everyone else is doing; demanding younger generations spend more money they don't have, get jobs when no one's hiring and have more babies when they can't even move out of their parents' house. And in general assuming that problems aren't a thing that's ever going to exist again.

In brief: the number of ‘permanent’ positions is getting lower, and they’re suffering from the same wage depression the U.S. is; contract jobs have grown majorly, and they’re paid even worse. So for younger generations, there’s less security and you’re living more paycheck-to-paycheck.

There are actually still a surplus of jobs, but Japanese firms also bitch and moan about not being able to fill them. Because the job pool isn’t a monolith of bright 22-year-old Todai kids.

All that Abenomics did was “money printer go brrrrrrr” which allowed big companies to repatriate overseas profits at even higher gains, but meant gently caress all for those living and working in Japan. Guess what big companies did with all those on-paper profits!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Flayer posted:

From an outsider's perspective since Japan's population skews older on average than most you'd expect a more conservative voting tendency. Allied with that fact that one party has been in power for 90%+ of the time and there's a ton of inertia to shift there. I wouldn't be surprised if many younger people don't even vote due to the perceived lack of impact.

Ding!

and add in that the major metro areas are disproportionately under-represented by the proportion of seats, and you have a situation where few young people bother to vote.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

When do we know whom the LDP brass picked as Abe's successor?

When the white smoke comes out of Tokyo Tower.

(Not sure when it’ll honestly come, but likely will see rumors of the announcement online before the presser is carried on TV)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

おめでとう to Uncle Reiwa himself.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ardennes posted:

It is interesting also that at least officially the Japanese unemployment rate wasn't really that bad (2-4%), but a 60% labor participation rate indicates that just large portions of the population has slid out of the workforce much like a smaller portion has slid out of social interaction entirely. On top of that you have a rapidly aging population which is only shrinking the labor pool farther. At the same time wages also have been stagnant if not declining since the 1990s.

Stagnant wages, the rise of contract work replacing 会社員 with same productivity for less guarantees, and generally less security compared with the 1980s is a hell of a combination.

I count myself incredibly lucky for my circumstances amid all this, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

...so what you meant to say is 正社員 (permanent employee)

yep sorry, meant that. the full-time employee who also is fully hired by that company and not on either contract or dispatched from what would be a temp agency in the U.S. Depending on industry that can be the difference between union membership etc. as well.

I would have hoped that a crackdown on working hours could mean companies read the room and staff up to meet the requirements, but I'm not sure that's happened.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Japan seems to like social welfare programs but is not very good at managing or funding them. My prefecture, in the last year, finally decided to put the burden of municipal taxes on employers, so it is now deducted from my pay rather than sent as a bill for me to pay. The national government still hasn't figured out how to get people to pay into the pension system - not that I'm complaining since if they decided to try they'd probably do the same as with the NHK tax and subcontract it out to people going door to door. (I pay my pension - I know a lot of foreigners and Japanese who do not). I kind of wish they'd check pension payments as part of visa renewal. Doesn't help with all the deadbeat locals who don't pay into the system, but it would at least get everyone else paying, and help me feel less like a chump for doing my civic duty.

maybe it's because I'm working for a Big Company but the pension is paid in, and municipal taxes are also handled by the company and withheld from paychecks instead of making payments. I know the latter isn't ubiquitous, I remember the ALT company didn't have that automatically withheld in the past.

and if you're a US American here for mid-term (so longer than a 2-3 years) you should pay into pension because it'll count towards Social Security payments.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Japan does have universal healthcare, tho simplifying the system, automating entry and cutting the 30% point of service cost are all things that would improve it.

Americans find the Japanese system to be life-changing or revolutionary, while the Brits I know complain how much more expensive it is than the NHS.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Is the adult trope of 'being destined for an overworked, soul-less business job' still that common in Japan?

They’re trying to improve things for full-time employees of companies - minimum number of vacation days taken, time card accuracy for non-management staff being two I can think of directly.

But, in truly shocking news, the number of jobs considered full-time employment is going down and positions that previously would’ve been shain are more so going on a contract basis.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

i hope this somehow ends up toppling the koseki system in addition to legalizing gay marriage

There was just a ruling to uphold that archaic “Japanese husbands and wives must legally have the same last name” law, wherein they already have a loophole for foreigners. It’d be nice but I’m not holding my breath it gets both.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Aso TARO remains a loving dipshit

https://twitter.com/themainichi/status/1372800009498857472?s=20

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr.Radical posted:

When you get people vaccinated, fuckface. That poo poo hasn’t even started for the general olds yet.

That was basically my thought. Get about 200,000,000 doses of that vaccine out amongst the population and then we’ll talk.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 19, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if the Olympics will get cancelled still from Covid...

they're timing the state of emergency on right now to stop just before the IOC visits next, and apparently the LDP has said "do or die" for the Olympics so.

likely means Dentsu will be giving them a big thumbs down if things keep getting worse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Just buy the vaccine buddy! I have no less than four coworkers scheduling golden week trips around going to america to get vaccinated either in part or in full.

a bit pre-occupied moving over golden week, plus there's no guarantee my non-American wife could come along and also get zapped with 5G nano machines. and my company has also said they currently can't support international telework due to tax reasons, and I unfortunately can't cook up enough of a reason for a two-week-plus business trip.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think Japan will just do the bare minimum to not have to refund the sponsorship money. So no audience, discourage nations to send large teams etc.

I don't know what happen to the opening ceremony, hopefully Hazmat suite Interpretive dance.

it's so weird that they're pointing to other events like "see! The Masters went off just fine!" and like the difference between the number of staff working there and needed for the Olympics is on an entirely different scale.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ye gods, this is some powerful brain worms

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/1420333280436494341

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Welp, so long and thanks for all the fish, Reiwa Ojisan

https://twitter.com/dwvcd/status/1433624706293264387

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't help but feel like this is just taking a leaf from the Australian Liberals (or more likely, the same thing they've already done for decades); change out the PM and the electorate suddenly gets collective amnesia.

I mean, the LDP has been doing this forever. I think the fun fact is that the LDP had more prime ministers from the post-war period to now than America's had presidents in its 200+ year history. The Abe stronghold for almost a decade is the exception and not the rule.