Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Looks like LDP/Komeito are officially over the 320-seat mark, according to the Asahi. Shinzo Abe with a parliamentary super-majority, 5 years after he was turfed out with approval ratings of sub 20%. This loving electoral system.

Is this just a reflection of the fact that they basically have to vote for either the LDP or DPJ, or does he have actual support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kenishi posted:

I think the thing I find even more horrifying or :smithicide: is the fact that the echo chamber is so bad they can't figure out how to fix it. Its the only thing that makes sense to me short of just claiming that everyone at the top just has a "gently caress you, got mine." mentality which I'm sure it does.
They've spent that past 20 years going "Hey guys, our economy has a problem, we should do something about it." All we've gotten is more inward-think, fiscal stimulus that hasn't done crap, and other idle speculation about what will save them from themselves (like making English "more important" than Japanese).

Do you think maybe whats happened is that the scaffolding that helped maintain the country and progress it, so as not to become a communist country, has suddenly disappeared because that threat is ridiculous in this century? Consider this, if Japan's economy had peaked and collapsed 20 years before it did due to social pressures, do you think the West/US would have stepped in and been like 'You guys need to fix this by blah blah...'?

I thought the main problem was the Bank of Japan refusing to expand the money supply? I've read somewhere that it's a case of central bank independence gone wrong.

Has Japan had any hyperinflation crisis in the past to make it scared of inflation?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

But if they don't invalidate it why bother fixing it at all? Haven't the past like, three elections been unconstitutional?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

dilbertschalter posted:

yeah, let's just equivocate out everything here.

Washington and Jefferson maybe, but there is no way a sane person could say that Jackson was not a war criminal.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MediumWellDone posted:

Is this the thread to bitch about old men do stupid things? Maybe they want to restart the TV cartels from the 80's…

So when they say "close down", does this mean they're basically turning every public university into a technical school?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah maybe they'll vote for the DPJ again without even blaming the first unprecedented natural/nuclear disaster that happens on said party that hadn't seen power for decades!

*cue laugh track*

There was a story in Reuters about how unpopular Abe is now, but I suppose there's not really anyone else for people to vote for.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chomskyan posted:

So today the cabinet approved a new plan in which the 6-month remarriage wait time for women will be reduced to 100 days. Also if a woman can get proof from a doctor saying she's not pregnant then she can remarry before the 100 days are over. Also the only reason even this much has been done is because it was literally forced on the current administration by a supreme court ruling.

So the Supreme Court can make them do this, but can't make them fix their malapportionment?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it now officially the JCP?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The emperor is going to abdicate and there are no posts in this thread! I noticed the stories all said the law would have to be changed to actually let him abdicate - will there be any trouble getting such a change passed?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Apraxin posted:

LDP just got trashed in the Tokyo metropolitan elections. Down to 23 seats out of 127, tied with Komeito and barely more than the Communists. They've never done this badly before, not even the year they were so unpopular that they lost the national election to the DPJ a few months later.

Did the DPJ win or did the governor's party win? I heard she was on the right of the LDP anyway.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What kind of campaigning does the JCP do? I feel like they never get mentioned in the news stories I read so I have no idea what their strategy is.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So what are liberal voters going to do?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They should really try a different name.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

The CDP seems to be polling better by a large margin than the DPJ did at any point post-2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelTCucek/status/923290716473769984

If only the split had happened a month before the election

Interesting but also :eyepop: that an opposition party polling at 17% is an unprecedented level of support

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man, now the LDP will only win 55% of the seats in the next election instead of 60%.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The fixation on Japanese Koreans when they're less than 1% of the population is crazy to me. I guess if people wanna be racist they'll find someone to be racist against.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If the LDP is dominant and the DPJ (or whatever we're calling them now) is weak and also doesn't really have an ideology, what leads people to join/vote for the DPJ? Is it people who got rejected from the LDP for some reason? People who don't like the LDP but can't bring themselves to vote for the Communists?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

captkirk posted:

I'm enjoying journalists who report on Asia being surprised by a completely common trend for Japanese PMs.

https://twitter.com/sharp_writing/status/1433630243261091843

Nikkei isn’t getting their money’s worth

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I thought the reason was because they wanted to keep a unifying symbol around and so they made sure no one spoke a word about him during the war crimes tribunals

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

just going off of vibes, kishida feels center-right for the current LDP. he's tight with the same nippon kaigi folks that abe was, but seems less stridently conservative. i doubt he has any actual strongly held beliefs and is just triangulating whatever will keep the base engaged and attract enough swing voters to maintain power.

apropos of kishida, he had to can his son, who was his nepotism executive policy secretary, for having a party at the pm's official residence and taking a picture at the special stairs:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/30/japan-pm-fires-son-after-pictures-emerge-of-inappropriate-private-party-at-official-residence

honestly some dumb bullshit, but kishida absolutely fumbled it by not just finding a punishment just short of dismissal immediately and then getting brow-beaten by the media into firing him. not looking forward to baby kishida's future political career. he's gonna be spending the next 20 years grinding his axe for the press.

Okay but that’s a funny picture everyone needs to chill out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lammasu posted:

My mom was big into that. She once said that Japan was going to eclipse America militarily as well. She is kind of racist.

This was *the* thing everyone was freaking out about in the 80s. If you showed someone back then the story about Nippon Steel buying US Steel they would have a heart attack