Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

z0331 posted:

It's pretty frustrating because I think a large part of the sentiment stems from a combination of knee-jerk reaction to the disaster and the complete ineptitude that the power company and government showed in the aftermath. It's almost impossible to talk to a Japanese person about how nuclear energy isn't bad, but that the plant itself was flawed.

I understand where you're coming from, but for all intents and purposes, aren't they inseparable? In other words, does it really matter for the average person living in Japan that the technology itself isn't bad if the government and the industry continue to ruin it with incompetence and corruption?

Unless there is some sort of miracle breakthrough, nuclear fission is probably a necessity in Japan (and the world) for the time being, especially if the country is going to meet its emissions targets. However, it's difficult for me to not have serious doubts about the way things are being handled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRc_85mhF2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Munin posted:

There is also a real potential for geothermal power, but "our onsen :argh:".

Is that overplayed in the foreign media btw? I can see why it would be a genuine concern should people be poking around and boring holes in a stupid manner but it is stillan important clean source of energy which should be exploited.

There are lots of towns that are almost solely dependent on tourism money that the onsen brings in, so I'd say its a real concern. Also, a lot of the best places for geothermal wells are inside national parks and therefor blocked from development.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The lieutenant governor Naoki Inose will take over for him right, is he as big a scumbag as Ishihara?

According to the news they have to hold a special election to choose a new governor within 50 days.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

BoE's also ought to encourage (or at least not penalize) English teachers who want to spend a year or two overseas on professional development as well, either as an exchange teacher or doing a Master's or something. One of my co-workers (non-tenure) is leaving her job to do a working holiday in Canada to bootstrap her English ability, which I think is really admirable and awesome, but it'd be great to see some institutional support for that kind of thing.

I know junior high school English teachers who have been sent by MEXT to England (for 3 moths) and Texas (for 6 months) for professional development, so institutional support isn't totally absent. It's apparently only 20 or 30 teachers a year who get selected though.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I am OK posted:

Government-funded speed dating?

This is already an actual thing on the local level in rural areas. One place in Tottori even brought in a literal busload of women from Osaka for one of their matchmaking events.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

So the rural areas' women all left already?

They don't all leave, but using Tottori, the least-populated prefecture in Japan, as an example:

There is definitely a gap during the years when a person generally gets married.

Ned posted:

Being a young woman in a rural town is pretty poo poo. Gotta move to the city and be an OL and enjoy life!

Or move to the city and work in a hostess bar!

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Guess what!

Hiroshima court rules Dec. election invalid over vote disparity

quote:

HIROSHIMA, March 25, Kyodo

The Hiroshima High Court ruled Monday that the results of last December's general election in Hiroshima's No. 1 and 2 districts were invalid due to significant disparities in the weight of votes.

The court is the first in Japan to declare an election result void among a series of lawsuits over vote disparities.

The election results, however, will not be invalidated immediately if the local election board appeals against the latest decision.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 25, 2013

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Is there some sort of upside for China if Japan gets rid of Article 9 and increases military spending? That's the only other motivation I can see for this article besides jingoism.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I've seen anti-consumption-tax-increase posters, anti-TPP posters (popular in the inaka), and "Let's stop being America's bitch" posters as well. The JCP is pretty active around where I live, but also pretty ineffectual.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I think I was the one foreigner in Japan who didn't mind paying my NHK fee. I really do think they provide a valuable service, especially if you compare their response during the March 11 disaster to private broadcasters. If I were still in Japan, however, I sure as hell wouldn't be paying as long as Momii is in charge.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

The whole "respects the rule of law" thing kind of gives me the impression that the Japanese government (much like the population as a whole) doesn't really care about whaling, and this ICJ ruling gives them an excuse to scale back the program without enraging the nationalists too much.

That part of the statement might also be a subtle jab at China and/or Korea for refusing to go to the ICJ to resolve their territorial disputes with Japan.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

China could force Japan to go to the ICJ if they would submit to the ICJ's compulsory jurisdiction as Japan has, but I think it's clear that that would be a huge can of worms for China and will never happen. That's why I think it could be a jab.

Edit: I guess the reasoning is slightly different, so I can see how the way I combined them in the sentence could be confusing.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 1, 2014

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, obviously I worded that poorly.

And I don't think the statement necessarily has anything to do with China or Korea, it was just speculation in response to Wibbleman wondering if they might be boxing themselves in with the phrase "respect the rule of law."

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Arbite posted:

Can any of you think of a particularly memorable moment of Japanese debate, in the Diet or elsewhere? Something along the lines of "You had an option" or "Please proceed."

I know that the format is different but surely someone's gotten in a good jab at some point.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D4KROpdUkrM

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

poo poo like this makes me wary of Ishiba:

Secrecy law protests ‘act of terrorism’: LDP secretary-general

quote:

Citizens demonstrating against the controversial state secrets bill are committing “an act terrorism,” according to Liberal Democratic Party Secretary-General Shigeru Ishiba.

In a blog post Friday, he wrote: “If you want to realize your ideas and principles, you should follow the democratic principles, by gaining as much support as you can. I think the strategy of merely shouting one’s opinions at the top of one’s lungs is not so fundamentally different from an act of terrorism.”

In a speech Sunday in Toyama Prefecture, Ishiba maintained his criticism of the rallies being held outside the prime minister’s office. More than 1,000 people gathered there last Tuesday when the ruling coalition rammed the state secrets bill through the Lower House.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 9, 2018

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I thought this analysis of the ruling was interesting:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2019/02/06/issues/supreme-court-hews-letter-law-gender-identity-laying-groundwork-future-challenges/

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Kale posted:

the history of Japan being a Republic