Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
And Japan's new future energy policy (replacing the Nuclear with fossil fuels) is a bigger influence now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Except that the dispute has been going on for decades now.

Yes, just like how it was decades ago that oil was first thought to be under those hunks of rocks.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The original Japanese energy plan was to go towards renewable with nuclear plants at about 50/50 by 2030's (I think) and now they want to do that just with Natural Gas and Oil instead of nuclear which is utterly :laffo: for them.

Also, it's pretty hypocritical for them to demand no nuclear when they're going to treat people near Fukushima like poo poo like they do to the victims of the Nuclear bombs or the burakumin.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Don't get me started about the problems with the way the Japanese run nuclear plants. For one point they have the same issue as the US with the lack of non-site storage and, preferable in my opinion, reprocessing. Secondly, the have a history of shockingly poorly run plants with endless temp workers and people mixing uranium in buckets.

Nevertheless, ditching nuclear is absurd especially given how the radiation is now no worse than it was before outside of the damaged reactors themselves.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
A reprocessing plant isn't necessary to make nuclear weapons, regular plants can do that just as well. Reprocessing plants are useful if like Japan you have a shitload of waste material and no place to store it. It's also good if they want to re-use the fuel in plants.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I think someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread but if European states tried this stuff with tributaries and vassals from hundreds to thousands of years ago nothing would ever get done.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I thought the main anger was that they suspects get whisked away to the States where they get the military trial so the anger is more over suspected rapists and/or murderers getting slapped on wrist in their own system with zero input from the locals.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

People dont smoke weed in Japan? I dont even smoke weed and that still seems strange to me.

A lot of Asian countries have incredibly strict laws about drugs and their use mostly because of history. The result is that they drink like fish.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ poo poo, forgot about the Japanese and possibly North Korean love of Meth. I know the Japanese have been using meth since the end of WWII.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 13, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

dilbertschalter posted:

Are drinking rates really that high in East Asia? I often hear remarks to that effect, but is there evidence to back it up?

Well it looks like I was mistaken about Japan, according to WHO the yearly average consumption is 8.03 liters per capita over the age of 15. That's pretty low on the list. South Korea on the other hand has a yearly average of 14.8 liters a year. Only 12 other countries, mostly Eastern Euro countries, beat em. The main reason for South Korea consumption is this little gem called Soju, a diluted spirit that's 20% abv and costs a whopping 1,000 Won ($1 USD) for a 375ml bottle. It's drank with everything, literally everything. Apparently it's estimated that 20 year old and older Koreans drank 90 bottles a year in 2006.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Sheep posted:

The best thing is watching Japanese exchange students leaving for America thinking that weed is as dangerous as crack, only to return to Japan 11 months later as full-blown stoners.

You didn't provide a link and I'm not about to go digging on Google, but let me say that you have to be very careful when looking at Japan in international rankings, especially if the numbers are self-reported, as they are in the example I'm about to provide: Check out this chart I pulled off the OECD website and find the (government-reported) hours worked per person per year for Japan. It's 1745 hours per year. Divide that by 50 (legally mandated if oft-unused ten days of nenkyu and all that). What number do you get? 34.9 hours a week, nearly the exact ideal number of hours worked per week if nobody did overtime and everyone took the labor standards law-required 45 minutes of break. You can look at that from two points of view - either Japan's numbers are being falsified somewhere in the process of reporting, or the numbers are correct but there are so many people working irregular jobs with short hours (pa-to and the like) that they are able to offset the hordes of people that every one of us knows exist who are sitting at their jobs 12-14 hours a day, six days a week.

Now look at the data for Korea. 2163 hours/year, divided by 50, is 43.26 hours a week. That looks a bit closer to reality.

So yeah, always make sure you check the footnotes and note who is reporting those numbers to the international organizations compiling statistics.

Edit: stats are from http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DatasetCode=LEVEL

I really don't understand why you're throwing facts about working at me, I was just saying that East-Asians like to drink. I was under the false assumption that Japanese people drank as much as Koreans and I was way off. I got most of my data from the wikipage here which is derived from this pdf by WHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Your distrust of TEPCO is not unfounded, I wouldn't touch the lot of bastards to handcrank a generator with the way they've hosed up cleanup.