Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Ah yes, the horrible cacophonous laughter of children between 9 -5.

Side note: What seems to have reignited this thread was a query about why it wasn't more active. May I suggest that if people are posting Japanese language stuff they also include a brief rundown in English for the non-Japanese speakers? That'd definitely make it more accessible / might ignite more discussion. I say this from experience of being shut out of China threads because I miss half the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

basically the most corrupt man to lead a nominally first-world country in world history, Kakuei Tanaka

I remember a couple of years ago there was a book called TENSAI (Genius) about Tanaka written by Ishihara Shintaro. I couldn't bring myself to read it, but the title combined with the author told me enough.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

That's interesting. Most people I've spoken to over the years have been really sympathetic with Masako and her health problems. Her situation is generally the only time I've heard grumbling about the royal family, in the sense that Masako, a brilliant and high-achieving woman, has obviously suffered living under the very restrictive royal lifestyle.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

食レポ is 90% of TV, easily

There must be a class in Japanese broadcasting school for making the chopsticks quiver just the right amount on an extreme food close up.

mystes posted:

It's interesting that Abe's current plan to revise the constitution is apparently not based on the LDP draft that has been floating around forever. I really want to see the details, because based on what has been reported about Article 9, he has scrapped the idea of specifically allowing a "military" and instead gone with simply adding language to specifically allow the SDF.

If this is the only change he plans to make now, that would be fairly reasonable, and I'm curious to see how it will play out. Considering his current approval rating it seems a bit unlikely that he will succeed with this.

IIRC, his plan was/is adding the third clause in Article 9 referring to the existence of the SDF ,and adding another article guaranteeing free education. I can't imagine he'd have any chance of getting it through now, though, which is likely going to haunt him for the rest of his days. It all seemed to be going so well for him just a few months ago.