Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why is Abe so obsessed with creating a military force? What possible fight is he certain Japan could breeze through if it weren't for that drat pacifism clause? Annexing Korea? Or does he plan on going to war with China over the Senkaku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Unless Japan has credible plans to construct a militia of Gundams I don't think any amount of firepower will put them on equal footing with a country like China... as to the problem with behind the lines stuff I can see the problem, but personally I'd just say 'well, let's not be involved in active warzones at all.'

I don't know, it just feels like Japan looked at all the attention North Korea gets for sabre-rattling and went 'drat, the gaijins really respect those guys, we should copy their style.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But if that's the case why would they need to remove the pacifism clause? It sounds like they're perfectly prepared to defend themselves should China attack, so the only reason for this clause removal would be to clear the conditions for first strike. China has no need to conquer Japan and the only contention the two countries have regarding territory are the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands, right?

I just don't get the timing of this focus. Between Abe reigniting ethnic tensions over WW2 and abandoning pacifism it feels like he's got his Japanese equivalent of Bush's 'Iraq 2003' dossier tucked away for the moment this bill gets all the way through.

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you think China's just going to walk 200 million people across the ocean? Japan's military is vastly better equipped and trained, China's air force and navy would be on the bottom before they got anywhere near Japan.

Yeah but that's my point... China has nothing to gain from attacking Japan. Why worry about a nation that won't attack you nor has the capability to subjugate you?

e: Wait, China's military is a joke? That's news to me.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 20, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Peel posted:

If I were even a mild Japanese nationalist I'd consider Article 9 a standing insult to Japan's rights as a sovereign nation to be removed at first practical opportunity unless there was some pressing reason not to.

Fair enough, I guess I kinda forget how nationalist Japan is. Which, given the xenophobia, shouldn't be as easy to forget as I make it seem.

Grand Fromage posted:

They can't be sure China won't attack them. The level of vitriol and hatred China spews at Japan is extreme, and China's shown a willingness to play highly aggressive brinkmanship games with its neighbors. China's military leadership also isn't exactly under the control of the central government and may not behave rationally. China probably won't attack Japan but are you going to stake national security on probably, especially when building up the military is a job creator in a stagnant economy as well as popular, and doubly so with the nationalists that support your party's leadership? There's not much downside for Abe domestically. The only real problem is it makes Korea and China screech, but they've spent the last 70 years screeching about literally anything Japan does so at this point who gives a gently caress what they think? Plus annoying them also wins points with nationalists.

China's military is generally considered a joke, yes. The PLA of the 50s was pretty tough but it's atrophied. Vietnam beat China in the 70s in like three weeks and that's the last time they've had any significant fight. Most analysts I've read think the Chinese military is barely functional at best, but China is investing in it more now.

Ah fair enough, I suppose I always think of them from the heyday without thinking about how they might have stagnated by now.

Grand Fromage posted:

World War 1 is a good case study in how to get a war between countries that are all acting rationally and none of whom really want to fight.

Uh, obviously this isn't the thread for this but WW1 happened precisely because Austria-Hungary wanted to go to war - look at the July Crisis and (Serbian) response to the July Ultimatum. We over here (Britain) were gagging to go to war. People were so sure we'd finish it by Christmas 1914 they were rushing to sign up and fight before it was too late. It was only by WW2 that Britain was more pragmatic and reticent to fight.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There were elements of that - and there were also miscommunications that meant Germany went West instead of East, going for France and expecting Austria to deal with Russia, but Austria expected Germany to go after Russia in a united front with them while they broke off half the army for Serbia. It was all a bit (tragi)comical, really.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sheep posted:

One example that was drummed up on television a lot a few years ago was Japan evacuating Japanese citizens in North Africa, which they weren't even sure if the JSDF would be allowed to do under the existing setup, which was a big impetus for the new guidelines that were issued a while back (and ignored the whole constitutional/legal aspect). There are other big concerns, such as cooperation on humanitarian issues (we can use the evacuation of citizens issue again - can the JSDF legally evacuate allied nations' citizens outside of Japan?) and collective self defense (can Japan shoot down ballistic missiles headed for America if they're just passing over Japan?).

Ahh, cheers for this. I suppose part of the problem is that by and large I wasn't aware those kind of issues were affected by this (I would have said in both cases 'of course Japan could' - but then I'm not exactly Japan's foremost constitutional expert), and figured Abe was pushing for the purposes of belligerence.

...which isn't to say that he isn't also doing it for that purpose. But there is a better defence of clarifying defence policy compared to "I want the right to shoot other countries and so help me I will."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well that's what I was wanting to know - my first query was "why is Abe so obsessed with having a full-blown military unless he plans to make a first move" to which others have pointed out that elements of Article 9 place strange limits on non-belligerent situations. I wasn't saying 'Abe is planning on shooting China' so much as not knowing why Abe needed the ability to potentially shoot China some time in the future.

To which I was given the reply 'Asian cold war getting warmer, needs arms race to cool head.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm never sure what to make of North Korea since for all their sabre rattling I haven't actually seen them DO anything since the Korean war finished. Skirmishes sure, and that ridiculous tree incident, but I think for all their bluster they're scared to do anything because they know China is the only reason they aren't currently part of (South-run) Unified Korea, and that China won't actually help them if they strike first.

That said, maybe Jong-un feels like ending the family name with a bang.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

NK does launch ballistic missiles over Japan

Wait. What? I think I'm learning a lot more about what's going on over there from the past two pages of this thread then any of the news I've been reading. And here I thought all the drama was just in their cartoons...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not hard to make arguments for changing it. Japan is the only country in the world (I think) not allowed to have a military or engage in warfare because of laws created by an occupying nation, to punish them for things their ancestors did decades ago. Honestly it's a bizarre situation to begin with.

Probably, but then again Costa Rica decided to abolish its military anyway because "eh, we don't need it" - but then again they're in a mildly more secure part of the world.

Grand Fromage posted:

The Japanese are inherently evil subhumans who will attack you with no warning, do you know? Japan very bad.

Naw, not Japanese people, just followers of Shinzo Abe

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right, those were just 'tests' though, right - partially to show off but mostly for tests?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've only started paying attention to Japan's politics recently over the whole WW2 faux pas and the desire to abolish Article 9. Most of my knowledge of Japanese politics comes from when the British press go "isn't Japan kooky, their PM was reading some comics on the train!"

I figure that I spend enough time putting my greasy dorito-stained fingers on their music and television that knowing nothing about their political happenings is odd for a political junkie.

I was going to make a joke about not knowing what party Abe was in here but frankly it would just look like ignorance not irony.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sheep posted:

There's your problem.

Yeah, my plan is to poo poo upread this thread until I figure out the good sources of news (I checked the OP but it seemed to be pretty disparaging of the options).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is sinking a South Korean frigate and killing 50 sailors just a skirmish?

In no-man's land? Yes. A tragic incident but yes, I would class that as a skirmish.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dessel posted:

edit: My reluctance with the Rosatom deal is with making us any further dependent on Russia for our energy needs in terms of maintenance and the backroom dealing that was going on with Finnish companies wanting to get a slice of Russian water energy which would beholden us to further pressure, especially during the current political climate.
|
v

Being fair in a few years you'll be the Finnish Oblast in the Russian Federation so it's no big deal to at least have your energy supply prepared for the transition. Russia still owes you an occupation and Häyhä ain't around to save you this time!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Navaash posted:

Abe made a tweet about it and got instantly trolled because, well, it's Abe. I suspect though that it's going to be a while before everything is sorted out - they're trying to make sure the suspect doesn't die so they can get as much of the motive out of him before they inevitably neck him.

Isn't there usually a pretty long lead time between conviction and appeals running out? I know not every case will be as long as Shoko's 23 years but I figure they'll have a good half a decade to question this piece of poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

KyoAni has done some incredible trolls on the anime community before, but I doubt that influenced the killer.

Examples of their trolling:

First, an unintended one was their adaptation of the series Free, which is about hot dudes swimming, and their fanbase, who normally expected sexy and/or cute girls were enraged that they were not being pandered to. The rage rekindles slightly with each new season.

Second, and way funnier: their extremely in-demand second season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had one normal episode then spent literally 8 weeks of their 14-week season airing the same episode 8 times. All that varied were camera angles, clothing and the way some of the lines were said, as if the same episode was improvised 8 times on a stage. Otherwise it was the exact same episode. Fans got angrier and angrier until by the seventh week their rage could overpower the sun. They only didn't get angrier by the eighth because the series was called Endless Eight and they resigned themselves to it being the final episode. ...they were certainly nervous when the next week rolled around, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When people say haafu unironically I tend to mentally replace it with hanbaagu and the sentence's intent often becomes clearer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

Edit: and there is no “true” Japanese culture

*wafts your face with a tank of Naruto*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BobbyThompson is a low-effort UK troll, please ignore his weird casual chuckle about mass murder.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As a point of comparison, Britain is also a former empire island and Brits almost certainly know nothing of our imperial atrocities. The second in command in the opposition party (John McDonnell) was given a media fuckbarrel for saying that Churchill was bad for the Bengal Famine which killed at least 2 million and more likely 3 million people. No-one even knew what McDonnell was talking about even though it was one of the many big events that led to Gandhi's independence movement gaining such strength. This is to say nothing of how our government has handled the independence of Ireland to this day.

Personally this is why I call for the UK-Nihon Union of Fash Islands so I can get cheaper geek poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There was a good post on r/AskHistorians about why Generalplan Ost isn't memorialised like the Holocaust, which touches on this kind of thing: link here

A key passage:

quote:

The fact that the Nazi government exerted diplomatic pressure on the Imperial Japanese government to hand over the 18.000 Jews in Shanghai demonstrates that for the Nazis even a comparatively small number of Jews thousands of miles away from any of their territory represented such a danger to them in their minds that they had to die.

Many genocides in history were absolutely devastating to the ethnic population they targeted; how many genocides can you name where diplomatic pressure was put on an ally to round up that ethnic group on the other side of the world?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the plus side the assassin is fantastic at making cartoonish weapons https://twitter.com/EVostox/status/1545400661914710016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Surely if it had been Kojima he'd just have run away and hidden until the alert got cancelled.

Video footage of the police running around confused looking for the shooter only for a cardboard box to slowly slide into an alleyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Abe must be a fish because everybody decided he stank the instant after he died! Folks,

It is pretty wild that Shinzo Abe was murdered in the street and the overarching reaction is "wow the murderer had a point, what is with that freaky church?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VSOKUL girl posted:

a whole 8 new posts in this thread, i thought abe died again

Well there's a suggestion that the fallout from the unification church stuff has basically put his faction on the back foot https://twitter.com/ShingetsuNews/status/1561476139843219457

This same tweeter suggests that it will embolden Kishida to politically distance himself from said faction, if not outright ostracise them to the extent he can.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And they said crime doesn't pay https://twitter.com/RihitoPhysicist/status/1562778830242480130

It's going to be fascinating to see how the criminal justice system treats him. As I recall the death penalty for even planned murder is relatively rare unless it's mass murder. Does someone with better knowledge of the legal system know what a more likely sentence would be? The best comparison would have been to Yamaguchi Otoya but he took his own life before he could be sentenced, plus was a minor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's always wild to me that a country like Japan with its insane amount of exports still has basically the world's worst debt-to-GDP ratio. I know it's a hangover from the crash of the 90s but it's just an unbelievable amount of debt that I feel should have been eaten into much deeper by now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LyonsLions posted:

Japan isn't trying to put women in jail for having an abortion so I'm not sure that Japan is losing on this particular front.

Doesn't Japan require the father's consent for an abortion, though? Not saying America isn't worse, but that there's other hurdles to what should be a right.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

around my house I get about a dozen WEP networks because ISPs are still using them by default on most routers

Isn't this a scammers' heaven? Surely anyone with even a tiny bit of technical knowledge would be able to buy a WEP cracker and start messing with peoples' only financials?

LyonsLions posted:

That's not required by law. Some doctors insist on that because they don't want to risk being sued; however, there are also doctors who do not have such requirements.

Ah, thanks for the clarification - although what's the legal risk of not asking? Is there a statute on the books that applies in certain circumstances?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lammasu posted:

What's LINE?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_Corporation

Who have an app by the same name that basically works similar to WeChat to my understanding, although presumably with marginally less privacy invasion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given current Russian ability you'd probably just end with control of Sakhalin / Karafuto again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sorry, I've been out with covid this week so am more behind on external politics than usual. What happened in Japan? I thought that Kishida was from the relatively less braying warhawk side of the party?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well do you know who's history? Shinzo Abe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Same for British "expats" in Spain. I'm not an economic migrant, I'm an expat!

Jokes on them, they voted for Brexit and are now just "deported back to our sunless isle"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

The Manifesto Project in the EU does try to compare parties based on their election manifestos (the methodology is available on their site).

For Japan, politics generally score "left" compared to a lot of other countries:

The relative ratings of the major parties is pretty obvious from right to left.

Compare this to Germany, a baseline EU country:

Here you have AfD as a clear hard-right, with most German parties rated as relatively centrist to hard left (Die Linke).

If you consider the LDP as right-wing, then obviously you'll think a score around zero isn't centrist. Using Germany as a comparison, a score of -20 to -40 would be arguably *somewhere* on 'the left'. The JCP or Social Democratic Party are clearly leftist.

Incidentally, I am not American, and live in Denmark.

Obligatory Addendum:

Under Clinton and during Bush, the Democrats moved hard to the center-right, but under Obama and now Biden (who is nothing if not an old-school middle-of-the-road Democrat), they have moved back hard left.

...what does the Y-axis mean?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why did the LDP's basically-permanent status in power come about? Every now and again a party breaks through to take the premiership so it seems like it's doable, but is it only ever like in the UK where the Tories are the natural party of power until they gently caress up so bad we put the Liberals (pre-20th century) or Labour into power for a couple of years to let them regroup?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We're all going to look so loving foolish when Shinzo Abe pops out of that unharmed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

harperdc posted:

Yeah, this has as much to do with how game developers in Japan handled the Xbox/PS2-PS3/Xbox 360 generation, where the technical scope for then-new games just got bigger than what most teams could handle - and for a few years early in that generation, a lot of the mid- and high-tier of games from Japan suffered. Combine this with more mid-tier turn-based RPGs coming out, along with some legit xenophobia and racism, and I can see how and why some project leads and members have bad memories and association of the term JRPG.

Personally I see it more directly, the JRPG being a genre loosely set by Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and having its own tropes, but understand how “Japanese jank” had a meaning in that era specifically as well. But that’s all inside one specific topic, not “anti-Asian/Japanese racism” in general.

This is interesting, because as a child of the 90s "JRPG" was meant to be high praise, I had no idea that the term had come to be derisive. I guess I'll be more specific about what I mean if I feel the need to differentiate between Western and Japanese style RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

I never consider "JRPG" a bad word in the gaming world, much less so than the word "anime" or "animu" in the regular american vernacular.

However I just want to point out there aren't many JPRG around in the last 2 console cycles. You get Sqeenix final fantasy stuff once every 5-7 years that's about it. I wouldn't call the souls game or any of the Capcom game "JRPG". Oh yeah there is one souls game set in Japan I almost forget. Currently the biggest Japanese asthetic inspired game is Genshin Impact, it even has fake Japanese naming scheme that doesn't follow the Chinese spelling rules. Are you going to call it a JRPG?

It's already part of the "Gacha Games" subcategory which is generally called a "Lootbox Game" when made in the west.