Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Lemmi Caution posted:

It's something someone with untreated mental illness dreamed up to explain his paranoid perceptions of the world.

Despite Debito being otherwise over-hysterical about discrimination against white foreigners in Japan, micro-aggressions is real and is a concept that wasn't invented by him. Also, I would definitely say that white foreigners experience micro-aggressions in Japan, despite me being otherwise somewhat even unsympathetic to their problems.

As for what micro-aggressions are, they're basically what you call "subtle racism". As contrasted with overt racism like denying service to a minority or using a racial slur, they're usually seemingly innocuous verbal expressions that either have offensive implications or serve to define the recipient's "outsider" status. One well-known example is the query of "Where are you from?" that westernized Asians get. Usually a normal question when making introductions but is often used to specifically ask what ethnicity an Asian person is, even if they're very loosely connected to that heritage through being an adoptee or a generation removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Lemmi Caution posted:

That makes sense. I guess I have a problem with what he chooses to interpret as microaggressions.

I'm curious how you might interpret things that are typical microaggressions in America and if they really qualify for a Caucasian in Japan. For example being asked where you are from, when the number of "native" whites in Japanese is vanishingly small. It's a hot topic among all foreigners themselves, so is it fair to characterize that negatively when a Japanese does it? But what if you are the child of an international marriage? That seems to qualify much more strongly as microaggression as you describe it.

One I am ambivalent on is the language ability assumption. It can be frustrating to deal with people who assume you can't communicate despite evidence to the contrary, but in my experience it never happened very often. More often relief was expressed. Perhaps that counts as microaggression.

This is kind of off topic, but it's interesting and tangentially related to politics from an immigration standpoint I guess. Might be better to bring up in the Japanese culture thread in A/T.

Edit: Yeah, reading up more on this, he has really twisted the idea of racial microaggression. I can definitely think of some examples in Japanese society that qualify, but Debito's petty bullshit makes a mockery of the concept.

I think for very many different reasons, including ones you've listed, that micro-aggressions in Japan(and indeed, the rest of East Asia) often take a different tack from the typical micro-aggressions you get in North America. I remember Debito using Japanese peoples expressing surprise at Westerners knowing how to use chopsticks, even when they know they've been in the country for a while or even seen the Westerner using chopsticks themselves. I think normally this would be a good example of an innocuous verbal exchange that serves to alienate, but I'm not actually sure how pervasive this is. I'm half-Asian and primarily Asian-looking on the appearance spectrum, so for obvious reasons I never had to deal with this. However, from my personal experience, the Nihonjinroh poo poo is probably a more insidious source of this kind of bullshit.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

I am OK posted:

The chopstick thing is probably more because they want to make small talk and don't really know how to do so because they're overthinking the cultural gap rather than any insidious racial agenda.

Also Japanese are constantly surprised that there are Japanese restaurants in the west, so it's a bit of ignorance borne of wacky education rather than hostility.

Now if you want actual aggression, how about the old Japanese man who shouted at me in the gym locker room today before scurrying off to actually tell on me because I was dripping water.

Old Japanese men...

Will2Powa posted:

I think for very many different reasons, including ones you've listed, that micro-aggressions in Japan(and indeed, the rest of East Asia) often take a different tack from the typical micro-aggressions you get in North America. I remember Debito using Japanese peoples expressing surprise at Westerners knowing how to use chopsticks, even when they know they've been in the country for a while or even seen the Westerner using chopsticks themselves. I think normally this would be a good example of an innocuous verbal exchange that serves to alienate, but I'm not actually sure how pervasive this is.

That said, I don't know how often this happens. The other thing about micro-aggressions towards Westerners, I feel, is that most Westerners probably don't care enough or been around long enough to notice; since only a very small minority are in it for the long haul. But Japan definitely has a problem with accepting foreigners assimilating into their culture. They're not as actively or openly xenophobic as many Westerners tend to exaggerate (particularly goons who seem to fall over themselves to put down Japan in anyway as some kind of misquided overreaction to weaboos), but it's clear they have problems. And knowing Japanese sensitivities, it's inevitable that it would manifest more as subtle micro-aggressions.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Munin posted:

After what has been mentioned here I'm still not quite sure how different this microaggression thing is from what tends to happen when you walk around without being aware of social mores in other countries.

As a white westerner I have been asked "where are you from" in essentially every European country I've lived in, mostly due to my accent being a bit of a hodgepodge whatever language I happen to speak. I'd generally take the chopstick comment to be the safest general compliment and ice-breaker.

If you break certain social taboos you're going to get a strange look wherever you are. I'm pretty sure I could get into some serious hot water in some bits of the US if I bumbled around oblivious that being an atheist could cause issues with some people. I once talked to a Honduran who told me me all about the wonders of free discussion in her society and how open-minded everyone was until I brought up the topic of abortion.

I am pretty sure quite a bit of this micro-aggression talk comes to people both being un-aware of the social mores of a very different cultures with some very different rules of behaviour and interaction and of being unused to being an "Ausländer" where they live (a term which has many of the same overtones as the term "gaijin").

I know that the micro-aggression thing is the only thing I've been talking about this thread but I just need to say that you're seriously misunderstanding the concept of micro-aggression. Micro-aggression has nothing to do with someone being reacted negatively to for breaking social mores, unless by breaking social mores, you mean being the wrong color or ethnicity. The examples of chopsticks used didn't involve strangers or fresh off the boat westerners, but a westerner who has been highly adapted to Japanese culture and a Japanese person who is aware of that. That is why it becomes an example of Micro-aggression rather than a misunderstood social interaction. Also, I mentioned it earlier, but the "Where are you from?" question is an example of a micro-aggression specific to Asian people living in Western Countries and not of Westerners. It's a normal, innocuous question that is used for an ulterior alienating purpose when applied to so-called "visible foreigners".

I find the politics interesting and was interested in Japanese politics for a while, but I'm kind of out of it once I realized that Japan is basically a dead country walking, at this point.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Roadside_Picnic posted:

Which differentiates it from the US/Europe, etc. how?

Immigration and a population decline that isn't quite as severe. However, Russia is in similar straits in a lot of ways. I'm still reading the thread because I still think Japanese politics are kind of interesting but they're even more futile in their lack of concrete change or reform than a lot of other countries' politics so part of the interest now is a morbid curiosity.

As for why I talked about micro-aggression, I was originally just responding to someone else bringing it up and I have a very personal interest in making sure that people understand the different dimensions of prejudice because that poo poo effects me in my everyday life.