Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly when I read hating on the US it's usually in the context of "our worthless government asks the US to stay here and protect us instead of doing it themselves".

Also, it's not just the netuyos protesting the US military presence. That's more of an equal opportunity issue. The Communist Party does marches against that and so do some other groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Reverend Cheddar posted:

As far as I know, the drawn stuff at any rate is utterly loathed by the actual publishing companies but they're kind of in a catch-22 because they don't want to sell it, especially because they are 100% aware of what this makes them look like in the eyes of the world, but they're legally compelled to by some free speech loophole.

Could you maybe go into a little more detail about this?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LimburgLimbo posted:

けとう‐じん【毛唐人】けタウ‐
外国人を卑しめていう語。古くは中国人を、のちには欧米人をいった。

Edit: Actually the wikipedia article is pretty interesting: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%AF%9B%E5%94%90

Edit 2: poo poo, looking up 毛唐人 on wikipedia must've tripped something because I immediately get this video under my youtube suggestions. Some jerkoff payed money to promote his video poo poo-talking Korea. Goddamn filter bubble.

Thanks for the link. That led me to the article about problematic words in Japan, which led me to have a conversation with a friend of mine, which led him to me linking me to this site which lists all the former burakumin areas in Aichi. I think the crazy comes through pretty well here whether or not you speak Japanese. And picking out that page from the site is really burying the lead.

I've been reading a lot of Akutagawa recently and the language used on the site sounds about that old.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A friens of mine was just complaining that the MLK narrative in his textbook went something like "MLK solved racism and now a black guy is president so everything is fine."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wittgen posted:

This article said the surviving comfort women were angry that the agreement didn't involve Japan taking legal responsibility. Can someone explain this because I don't really understand what legal responsibility would entail. All the people whose committed those crimes are surely long dead. What difference is there between ambiguously and unambiguously taking legal responsibility besides semantics?

Reparation payments to the survivors and their families would probably be on the table if Japan took official responsibility for the comfort women. IIRC Japan actually made a few payments right after the war, but they were small and they basically disappeared in the post-war chaos.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

That's definitely what I was remembering, thanks.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Stringent posted:

Wait, what service industry are you thinking of here?

He's saving himself for the sexbots.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

caberham posted:

Wasn't he also very very gay with Yukio Mishima?

He was very with Mishima and Mishima was gay, but I don't think it's ever been said they had any kind of thing. Ishihara's definitely spoken out against homosexuality, not that that necessarily means anything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

EasternBronze posted:

Japan loves to talk the talk about an open liberal society but you will see the reality if go there and try to rent an apartment or get a credit card.

It's definitely an experience to be talking with a real estate agent and them casually dropping, "That is a nice location, but the landlord won't rent to foreigners."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

harperdc posted:

10. 10!! No wonder every flight out of Japan that week is marked up like 250%.

Yeah, I was thinking of going to Beijing until I saw those prices. It's pretty crazy locally, too; I made some hotel arrangements last month and even then, in a fairly minor tourist spot, I was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LimburgLimbo posted:

Here's some kickin' rad poo poo about 60's protests against Narita airport where protesters used advanced tactics to straight up beat the police in close combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXjd7GkHKfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs6jhn_9xaU

For bonus points ask your young Japanese friends if they've ever even heard of this.

Dissenting Japan posted:

Narita International Airport was set finally to open on 30 March 1978, but Hantai Dōmei’s cohorts had one more ace up their sleeve. On 26 March there was a last-ditch effort to prevent the airport from opening and what a spectacle it was. The facility was being protected by 14,000 riot police, and so, to create a diversion, the protestors rebuilt their fortresses and a 16-metre tower. They held a massive 10,000-strong rally at the fortresses, drawing the police away. And then all hell began to break loose. A burning truck loaded with radicals came from nowhere and rammed through the main airport gates. (One of those on the truck would later die from his burns.) Hundreds then rushed into the airport grounds at fourteen points around the site. Emergency services ran around frantically, trying to put out the flames. Foot soldiers from the all-red Fourth International were chased by the all-black riot police, making for a colourful, oddly beautiful scene.

But all this was a distraction, mere bagatelles of fireworks and marauders. While the tumult was going on, fourteen militants, mostly from Fourth International, were lying in wait. They had entered the airport through the sewers the night before and now, coming out of a manhole near the control tower, like ninjas they made good on their carefully planned assault. Ten managed to get inside the control tower, fired upon by guards. Six then made it up to the control room and started to smash up equipment. Having captured the heart of the airport, they unfurled a red banner from the roof. A hammer and sickle was painted on one of the few unbroken windows. The occupiers threw endless pieces of paper from the gaping holes where the glass had been. A helicopter buzzed angrily overhead, trying to winch people down. The control tower staff had escaped to the roof and were rescued by the helicopter. The band of saboteurs, meanwhile, barricaded themselves in, so police were eventually forced to climb up from the outside, firing tear gas in through the windows to recapture the castle keep from the invaders after two hours. This incredible coup delayed the opening of the airport to 20 May.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A lot of the old ladies in my village are supporters of the JCP, so, y'know, predisposed to disliking Abe, but yeah among them there are quite a few people who say it's got vaguely sinister undertones.

It's not like the name's a portent of coming right-wing ideology in Japan, it's a symptom of Abe's current and presumably continuing nationalism. At the end of the day it doesn't mean much. But it doesn't mean nothing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

harperdc posted:

Was an ALT at a small-town school and went from the highs of seeing the food cart rolled into the staff room with curry dishes to the lows of realizing its くじらカレー in an instant. That was a downer. But even in the inaka it’s hardly a staple dish. It’s really some hardcore nostalgia and pride that keeps it going.

I live really close to Taiji and even here it's a fairly rare dish. Dolphin is even rarer (and it's really not very good). I don't care much for whale either but I can see why people like it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bloodnose posted:

What sort of statements has the government made about this? I assume both local and national officials have said something by now.

Can't find it at the moment but I saw that a local candidate in Kyoto said something like "Sure, this fire is a big deal right now, but the upcoming election is what you should be thinking about!" This was sometime in between the fire being reported at first and the death toll climbing into the dozens.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There was a tiny anti-mask protest in Tokyo I think, a week or two ago. I just saw it on the news so I don't know what their specific ideology was though. Realistically basically everybody is wearing them. Some stores do have signs asking people to wear masks but they're not really necessary.

There was a minor stir when the mayor of Osaka touted gargling medicine as a possible corona salve. (Gargling will apparently ease some symptoms of corona and regular colds but it won't do anything to cure it.) Everybody loving gargles all the time though and I don't get it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Cases are falling slightly more quickly than testing is, so... good??? In fairness, you basically can't get tested without sustained covid symptoms or having been in contact with a confirmed case, so a drop in testing does mean fewer people are meeting those criteria. The government's done gently caress all though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

icantfindaname posted:

Japan does still have universal healthcare, less-insane college costs and housing costs, unlike most of Blue America now

That's the kicker, really. If things get appreciably worse welfare-wise or wages drop even more, you might start getting rumblings of discontent, but the current situation is just enough to coast on. But even then, everybody is so politically disengaged over here I don't know if it could even be channeled into anything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Assuming that it's been six months since the last post.

Anyway, election next week, huh?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's been a bad couple of centuries for politicians named Abe.

When was the last assassination in Japan, attempted or otherwise? Was it when that yakuza guy killed the mayor of Nagasaki over car insurance?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jeffreyw posted:

I read Bloomberg mention the assassin was just that pissed off about Abe, which feels like one of those bad Japanese mistranslations to be honest.

If that's all he felt about the guy, I don't know if introducing the possibility of making him a martyr was the best way of going about it.

So far as I can tell the only word on the motive has been this after he was arrested, presumably during interrogation:

quote:

現場で逮捕された41歳の容疑者は「安倍元総理大臣に対して不満があり、殺そうと思って狙った」という趣旨の供述をしている一方で、「元総理の政治信条への恨みではない」とも供述しているということです。

"I was dissatisfied with the former PM, so I thought I'd kill him." And then later: "It wasn't anything to do with his politics." So either he's just being evasive right now or he really is just a crank who felt personally slighted by Abe in some way. (Which is what happened with the yakuza guy who shot the mayor of Nagasaki; it wasn't a crime thing, it was over parking tickets or something. It would be odd if this was something similar, but maybe he got drummed out of the JSDF due to Abe shuffling some stuff around or something.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CottonWolf posted:

Lone political assassins tend not to be the most stable of people. Holding a grudge for 15 years is entirely not outside the realm of possibility.

I'm also basing this on my uncle who still bitches about getting kicked out of the Coast Guard under Clinton

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Staluigi posted:

Reading the situation as "when Japan shot their Reagan, it stuck"

Sadly 1981 was just a little too early for a cyberpunk gun

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TrekBek posted:

I figured this would be a good thread to ask this: so, all the Abe articles have mentioned that there was a single gun death in Japan in 2021. but, I can't find any information on this besides people just stating it as fact. is this actually true, and also is the identity of the most unlucky person ever public knowledge?

The tweet I had seen going around claimed that Abe was the second shooting death of 2022. I searched that at first and didn't find another one, and the only articles I could find for 2021 were for the trials of yakuza murders committed years earlier. There were a fair number of guns being fired, and a couple of attempted murders, but I couldn't find an actual killing. Google's algorithm has gone to poo poo though, and kept throwing American shootings at me even after after muting every possible US-related term.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Abe must be a fish because everybody decided he stank the instant after he died! Folks,

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

VSOKUL girl posted:

prosecuting crimes related to graft for the olympics, what?

does japan not understand the purpose of the IOC or FIFA

Mori ranting and pacing back and forth in his office like Clay Davis

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
From a completely selfish position I'll take it, I recently moved away and I have so much yen that I don't want to convert. When I first moved to Japan it was 75 yen to the dollar!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Even assuming it's true, it sounds more like it would just be Russian ships posturing aggressively in the Kurils than an actual conflict. It's possible they war-gamed out an invasion, but every country does that. Japan would be an order of magnitude more complex than Ukraine and directly invokes US involvement. (Also Russia has a... less than stellar track record when it comes to naval maneuvers against Japan.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

What badge does she give you

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lammasu posted:

I just learned Japan has a national cheese day. I thought most East Asians were lactose intolerant.

I'd say I was lactose intolerant, too, after eating Japanese cheese.

There are degrees of intolerance; I think I only know one person who suffered from it enough that they actively avoided dairy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I can't really speak authoritatively on the average Japanese person today, but a significant amount of the buildup to WW2 was due to always being treated as inferior by the Western powers, even when trying to play by their rules and being successful (eg do imperialism).

The Japanese, who fought on the Allied side in WW1, tried to get a racial equality clause put in the League of Nations charter, which IIRC was scuttled by the US because it wasn't exactly compatible with Jim Crow laws.

Only tangentially related, but one of my favorite bits of Japanese history is that when the League of Nations voted that Manchuria should be returned to China, Japan's ambassador responded by saying, "You know who else was persecuted for their beliefs? That's right, Jesus Christ" and walked out.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's also one of the most staid countries politically speaking. The assassination of a former prime minister and a not-insignificant portion of the country feeling sympathetic for the assassin happened less than a year ago and nothing really came of it in either direction. The government both forgot about the Unification Church and using the assassination as a pretext for curtailing civil liberties. The good stuff is the insane things like the Youtuber legislator who got kicked out for never coming to the Diet or the local politicians who get busted for growing weed, but that's not really enough to keep a thread active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yeah the hostages got freed. The suspect is 86 years old!

It's important to take up new hobbies and meet new people (at gunpoint) as you get older.